Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Pre-Season Friendlies | Preview & Match Threads (Welling p59, Swansea p67 )

Comments

• Options
    It is honestly Criminal we are going into the season with stockley  (jury out if he suits this formation) aneke (always crocked)and leaburn (not ready) as our forward options. Have we not learnt from previous mistakes ? 
    I have sympathy with this tempered by the fact that 1. The season hasn’t yet started and 2. The window is still open.
    Same - we really need a Washington/Davison replacement and that means enhanced versions if looking to improve. It will all come together, just not which year.

Crikes, Carlo Leaburn is a big lad sitting up there in the West stand.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Wollacott  ok
    Clare MOM
    Inniss  Looked tired towards the end
    O'Connell  pretty good 
    Sessegnon  out of position
    Morgan  good
    Fraser  poor
     McGrandles/ Payne  Both ok, but no upgrade on JFC
    CBT  electrifying
    Leaburn  Not ready, missed our only real chance
    Stockley  Stockley

Sorry to bang on about it, but we need a goalscorer

Please, how can you make a statement like that after both making their debuts and only playing bit parts in the game, give them a chance before you nail them to the wall like that, "no upgrade on JFC"...🤷‍♂️
    In terms of their impact on the game compared with having watched JFC for 5 years maybe? 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I'm afraid Garner is going to have to get used to that! Been hearing it down The Valley for 25+ years.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    I went.
    There may be a lot to discuss but I am pissed off we didn’t win.
    You didn't seem very happy after we won our last two either seth 
    I am trying to discipline my personal mindset where winning is the only acceptable result this season.
    Talk about setting yourself up for a fall!

Do you feel like this squad should be winning every game then?
    If they don't I want to know why, not greet it with a shrug.
    If Garner and the team can find out why we don't win, then they can change something.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    I went.
    I am trying to discipline my personal mindset where winning is the only acceptable result this season.

If Garner and the team can find out why we don't win, then they can change something.
    But do you? Feel the squad is good enough to be winning every game?
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Wollacott  ok
    Clare MOM
    O'Connell  pretty good 
    Morgan  good
    Fraser  poor
    CBT  electrifying
    Stockley  Stockley

Please, how can you make a statement like that after both making their debuts and only playing bit parts in the game, give them a chance before you nail them to the wall like that, "no upgrade on JFC"...🤷‍♂️
    In terms of their impact on the game compared with having watched JFC for 5 years maybe? 
    Is this satire?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree with the general sentiment here. The squad is just missing a quality strker. If we manage to get one this squad would be transformed from promotion possibles to promotion probables. Let's hope our wishes are fulfilled.

Really good forwards are so hard to find - I haven’t been to or wanted to watch one single pre-season game so having to interpret performances through what I read on here which can be tough given the differing viewpoints.

From what I’ve read, we seem to have a shape and a style which is positive and Garner wants us to play football and keep the ball which will hopefully be a good thing, so that’s a positive.  

The question marks for me are that we were very poor last season, and I mean really poor, regardless of what sort of positive spin you try and put on it.  There was a big gap in terms of where we finished compared to what we need to compete and get in the play offs, and this is what I think may be the step too far.  

Stockley’s a good example.  If we’re going to play this short style and the ball into feet, that will negate his aerial threat and hamper his effectiveness.  Chuks may be a better option with the ball at his feet but we’re never going to get a run of games out of him.  It’s unfair/unrealistic to expect Leaburn to step up, so all of a sudden we run the risk of not having a forward who can score enough over the season or we don’t play a style to suit our main man who would appear to be Stockley.  

It’s up to the 2 either side of him then to add at least 10 each (imo)

I think there are some good signs, but I also think there is going to be a bit too much of a gap to overcome from what we were left with after releasing everyone and who was left over from last season, to what we need to add this season, and that’s with any additional players yet to come in.  

Unless we’ve got some real rabbits out of hats that are going to come in, I think we’ll land around 8th/9th/10th.

certainly hope/think we won’t be as poor as last year though
  • Options
    Stockley is a fish out of water.

Morgan created a few good passes but the majority of his passes in the second half were backwards putting our players under pressure.

I can't see him starting with the the way McGrandles & Payne played today.

• Options
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    I went.

But do you? Feel the squad is good enough to be winning every game?
    You've got me. No I don't expect to win every game, it's simply that I want to.
    Yes there are a myriad of factors that influence a performance and the readiness for a challenge, but there is also the old adage 'it's 11v11" as well as 'take one game at a time'.
    In that regard I think we need 100% focus this week on the Accrington game.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    WSS said:
    mendonca said:
    WSS said:
    Still amazed at how many people just shout “forward” and “get it up”.

Football has changed. Possession based and high press football is the fashionable style at the moment - it won’t win every game but if you get it right, you’ll get the result more often than not.

I do smirk at the contradictions though when it is “hoofed” and the same people shout “keep hold of the bloody ball, keep it simple.”
    I did see Garner turn around with a surprised look near full time when 'forward' was being yelled at anybody.
    https://twitter.com/LouisMend/status/1550885861809594368
    Yes, always a good idea to play the ball around the back when you are a goal down with a few minutes to go.
    In a game where the result has zero impact on anything...
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Wollacott  ok
    Clare MOM
    O'Connell  pretty good 
    Morgan  good
    Fraser  poor
    CBT  electrifying
    Stockley  Stockley

Is this satire?
    Something begining with S...🤪
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Crusty54 said:
    Stockley is a fish out of water.

Morgan created a few good passes but the majority of his passes in the second half were backwards putting our players under pressure.

I can't see him starting with the the way McGrandles & Payne played today.

They were playing in different positions, Morgan in front of the back four and McGrandles and Payne forward. It would be Dobson instead of Morgan. Interestingly Garner seems to favour Morgan over Dobson currently. Or Maybe Dobson is on his way?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who was captain?
  • Options
    At the game thought we did ok overall but same problems as last season, lack of goals and then giving away soft goals.

IF Garner sees that as his first eleven (which I don’t think he will) we are in trouble.
  • Options
    The tone and sentiment coming out of people like the club has been outrageous in not getting another forward in yet is a bit baffling.

Clearly another striker is needed to strengthen that position and I’m sure they know that. But we’re going in next week with a really strong league one centre forward and an outstanding forward to be able to bring off the bench. This means that the club can afford to wait for right person and opportunity to present itself in the next couple of weeks. They’ve shown, quite rightly, that they will not pay over the odds for anyone. I’d far rather have Leaburn as a 3rd choice for a couple of weeks than Davison.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Who was captain?
    Stockley
  • Options
    My worry is that our players who can make something from nothing are injury prone - CBT and Aneke. Plus Stockley as captain just doesn't do it for me. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!