Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Pre-Season Friendlies | Preview & Match Threads (Welling p59, Swansea p67 )

Comments

• Options
    Anyone else see the similarity in style between Payne and Jonny Williams?

Nippy, creative, good in tight spaces etc 
  • Options
    A lot more aggressive than JW. Liked his cameo.
  • Options
    Playing against arguably the best footballing side in the division above at their own game and being unlucky to lose is a very good sign.
    In the end they won because they brought fresh legs on to try and win it whereas we brought fresh kegs on to give our youngsters a try out. Result aside, I suspect we were the winners 
    There’s the problem straight away, they were pissed from the fresh kegs!!!!!!!!… old school footballers😂👍
  • Options

Not at all your usual standard, trying far too hard there. Must do better.
  • Options
    It is honestly Criminal we are going into the season with stockley  (jury out if he suits this formation) aneke (always crocked)and leaburn (not ready) as our forward options. Have we not learnt from previous mistakes ? 
    I'd like to think that Garner and the management team are pretty aware of this and working behind the scenes to get a striker in.

If we can get that striker and a left back then i think we should do well this season.
  • Options
    I'm really looking forward to next week now to see if we can stick to that pass and move game or will we get dragged into an Accrington type of slug fest 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TBF, "forward" doesn't necessarily mean smash it 30 yards up towards Stockley through the air.

Some nice passing, still developing it, we've played it on the ground faster in other games, with more training and game time no reason why that wouldn't be the norm... Meaning the ball WILL get forward faster.

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Surely one for you guys (admin) to tighten up on.
    Couldn’t agree more Mendonca! Agree to disagree for sure but there’s certainly no need for that verbal abuse
  • Options
    One interesting stat from that chart above is that Accrington have played a lot stronger opposition than us in their pre-season friendlies.

Leaving aside Palace, they have played against Blackburn, Stoke, Preston, Wigan and Sunderland. I wonder if that makes them a bit more battle hardened compared to us after our games mostly against teams in lower leagues?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Payne is a proper short arse isn't he?
    Fails the height test

Dwarf GIFs  Tenor
    A genuine lol moment  :D
  • Options
    Put CBT and SS on the right side and then we will be a threat. No left foot between the pair of them but pace wise all over that Swansea side 
  • Options
    Friendly results dont mean anything... But a breakdown of games played so far across the League.

Of course results should be taken with a pinch of salt as not going to research the standard of the line ups - Or opposition.

A couple of teams do also have one or two games left to play.

God, can you imagine the outcry on here if we had had Sheffield Wednesdays pre season!
  • Options
    Really enjoyed the game and thought we did very well to maintain the amount of possession we did. Unlike many, I think we will have plenty of goals in us this season, particularly through Payne, Fraser, Gilbey and Kirk. Just have this feeling that Garner Ball is already starting to click and making so many chances will return goals in League One. My concern is how the CBs keep making risky passes. The latter needs to be addressed and quickly…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My concern is how the CBs keep making risky passes. The latter needs to be addressed and quickly…
    The easy answer is don’t do it within 20 yards central of your goal. If you don’t have the players with that ability then don’t leave yourself open that unnecessary risk.

We lose a home game by the odd goal by doing that 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    My concern is how the CBs keep making risky passes. The latter needs to be addressed and quickly…
    The easy answer is don’t do it within 20 yards central of your goal. If you don’t have the players with that ability then don’t leave yourself open that unnecessary risk.

We lose a home game by the odd goal by doing that 
    The issue isn’t so much defenders passing out it’s having midfielders making themselves available in good positions to receive the ball and then using it effectively when they do. First half was a good example of this - if midfielders start to hide you end up in real trouble.
  • Options
    One interesting stat from that chart above is that Accrington have played a lot stronger opposition than us in their pre-season friendlies.

Leaving aside Palace, they have played against Blackburn, Stoke, Preston, Wigan and Sunderland. I wonder if that makes them a bit more battle hardened compared to us after our games mostly against teams in lower leagues?
    I notice that most teams have played stronger opposition than we have - many have played Premiership teams. I'm sure we've been tested strongly by Dartford & Welling though 🙄
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    My worry is that our players who can make something from nothing are injury prone - CBT and Aneke. Plus Stockley as captain just doesn't do it for me. 
    What does a football captain do ? I’m not saying I favour Stockley or otherwise , but just interested 
  • Options
    West2003 said:
    I'm calling it now - McGrandles will be Player of the Season come May
    Don't really need to call it now though do we. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    mendonca said:
    My worry is that our players who can make something from nothing are injury prone - CBT and Aneke. Plus Stockley as captain just doesn't do it for me. 
    What does a football captain do ? I’m not saying I favour Stockley or otherwise , but just interested 
    Coin toss??!🤣
  • Options

I notice that most teams have played stronger opposition than we have - many have played Premiership teams. I'm sure we've been tested strongly by Dartford & Welling though 🙄
    We’re not really going to be able to implement a new style of play against premier league opponents. You need weaker opposition to be able to do that.

Only one way to find out who got it right though. We’ll have to find out next weekend. 👍
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!