Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• edited October 2022
     We know how to break even but we're not going to tell you. That old chestnut
    Why all the noise recently about breaking even anyway?
    Who is Sandgaard trying to appease with this constant blurge?
    It's certainly not the fans. I doubt most really care if we break even or not.

Two possible reasons for me.
     He's either trying to get the attention of someone to get involved. But with the chance of maybe breaking even I doubt there's many investors falling over themselves to pour money in.

Or, he's trying to settle the nerves of someone who has already invested or got capital involved somewhere. Probably his bank manager hoping to at least get some of his money back!
  • Totally unsurprised by the answers given by TS & RM at the CAST Q & A. 

But will need to read through again before commenting & look forward to hearing the opinions of others on here. 
  • DA9 said:
    That is a shame about KA. If I recall correctly he has had long term issues and so it is not definitely about the club, especially given he is staying as a photographer.  I wish him well. Seems a very decent person.
    Your no fun 

Well I should probably therefore point out that it is "you're" no fun then. 😃
  • what is "leverage"?
    Can mean different things in different circumstances. In this case he means use or make the best use of. 
  •  We know how to break even but we're not going to tell you. That old chestnut

He's either trying to get the attention of someone to get involved. But with the chance of maybe breaking even I doubt there's many investors falling over themselves to pour money in.

Or, he's trying to settle the nerves of someone who has already invested or got capital involved somewhere. Probably his bank manager hoping to at least get some of his money back!
    Would you rather he hadn't attempted to answer the questions asked of him by the Trust then?

Most might not worry about breaking even, but as as he said a while back that it was an aim, he was once again being asked to justify his comments. To be fair, he does have a duty of care as our owner to manage the Club's finances responsibly, although not doing so seems to be quite common for clubs aspiring to be successful.

It's not how much he spends anyway that's the problem, it's what he's spending it on, including paying for things like out of court settlements to former employees, assuming that's true. He didn't rule out paying fees in the January window, but I won't be holding my breath after last time and expect it to be loan signings.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2022
    colthe3rd said:
    "He now approves all expenses"

How far down the football pyramid do we reckon that this sort of thing is normal behaviour? I'd be willing to guess that nearly all L1 owners do not do this?

To have this in the same sentence as "there are “a thousand more business principles which need to be applied throughout the club so it can run more agile”" it's unbelievably short sighted. An agile business is one that doesn't have an owner micro managing every single detail around it. 
    I can see both sides of it.

If it was my company i'd certainly want to know what we were paying out, how much, who to and how essential it was.

But it also depends how far he's taking it. I certainly wouldn't expect him to be signing off the cost for coffee and tea bags but anything over a grand or two i could understand.
  • CAFCsayer said:
    "We suggested that two years into his ownership there is not a clear shape to the structure of the organisation on the non-football side. Thomas said that “we’ll figure it out” and that “you don’t need to worry about that – just turn up and cheer on the team”. "

What a penis... how condescending
    And we thought calling us " customers " was an insult ! 
  • colthe3rd said:
    "He now approves all expenses"

How far down the football pyramid do we reckon that this sort of thing is normal behaviour? I'd be willing to guess that nearly all L1 owners do not do this?

To have this in the same sentence as "there are “a thousand more business principles which need to be applied throughout the club so it can run more agile”" it's unbelievably short sighted. An agile business is one that doesn't have an owner micro managing every single detail around it. 
    I can see both sides of it.

If it was my company i'd certainly want to know what we were paying out, how much, who to and how essential it was.

But it also depends how far he's taking it. I certainly wouldn't expect him to be signing off the cost for coffee and tea bags but anything over a grand or two i could understand.
    A monkey I'm told!
  • CAFCsayer said:
    "We suggested that two years into his ownership there is not a clear shape to the structure of the organisation on the non-football side. Thomas said that “we’ll figure it out” and that “you don’t need to worry about that – just turn up and cheer on the team”. "

In his opinion the trust don't have much business savvy. 
  • edited October 2022
    CAFCsayer said:

Yup ... a pat on the head and telling us not to get involved in stuff we don't understand ... very condescending ... cannot believe I ever defended this bloke!
  • Sponsored links:

• He'd probably "accidentally" bring his guitar to a funeral..."just incase". 

I doubt he would slowly roll his hand up and say "you've charmed me" while interviewing a new financial director who he wants to immediately hire and all the car crash behaviour brent offered, but there would still be a bit of it present, just in a different style.

Completely lost in his own world 
  • boggzy said:
    shirty5 said:
    He’s getting triggered when he’s now having to mention Duchatelet. Not even 10 percent that went on with the protests etc back then, are even close to now.

I don’t see him being owner of Charlton by the start of next season in my opinion. Not been told or heard anything but running it down to the bear minimum may (in his mind) make it easier to sell by next summer 

I do dearly hope he isn't. 

If he doesn't want to be treated like Duchatelet, howabout he stops behaving like him.

What a clueless, condescending piece of shit the bloke is. Utter fantasist.

PS Can't believe the bullying concerns and myriad staff 'losses' weren't brought up at the meeting!
    I can.
  • edited October 2022
    swordfish said:
     We know how to break even but we're not going to tell you. That old chestnut

Would you rather he hadn't attempted to answer the questions asked of him by the Trust then?

Most might not worry about breaking even, but as as he said a while back that it was an aim, he was once again being asked to justify his comments. To be fair, he does have a duty of care as our owner to manage the Club's finances responsibly, although not doing so seems to be quite common for clubs aspiring to be successful.

It's not how much he spends anyway that's the problem, it's what he's spending it on, including paying for things like out of court settlements to former employees, assuming that's true. He didn't rule out paying fees in the January window, but I won't be holding my breath after last time and expect it to be loan signings.

But he didn't answer it did he.
     I quote ' He believes that there is a lot of potential for growing revenue and that, although he didn’t want to go into detail, there are areas showing good progress. He is confident that losses can be halved in one more season and break even achieved in another season and a half after that."

Straight out the book of Trussonomics, that!

No, I get your point, but it's precisely because fans do care about his thoughts on it that the question was asked of him.

I note it wasn't the only time he effectively dodged the question either. On reading some of his answers, you could be forgiven for interpreting them as him saying 'that really isn't something that should concern you,' which I agree is condescending and he shouldn't be surprised with our fan base and history that he's being asked awkward questions.

Incidentally I think he is still content going it alone and isn't looking for outside investment. No way would his ego tolerate power sharing. As for it being an attempt to give assurance to a money lender, why choose a meeting with CAST, or make any public declaration, to do that?