Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
     We know how to break even but we're not going to tell you. That old chestnut
    Why all the noise recently about breaking even anyway?
    Who is Sandgaard trying to appease with this constant blurge?
    It's certainly not the fans. I doubt most really care if we break even or not.

Two possible reasons for me.
     He's either trying to get the attention of someone to get involved. But with the chance of maybe breaking even I doubt there's many investors falling over themselves to pour money in.

Or, he's trying to settle the nerves of someone who has already invested or got capital involved somewhere. Probably his bank manager hoping to at least get some of his money back!
    Would you rather he hadn't attempted to answer the questions asked of him by the Trust then?

Most might not worry about breaking even, but as as he said a while back that it was an aim, he was once again being asked to justify his comments. To be fair, he does have a duty of care as our owner to manage the Club's finances responsibly, although not doing so seems to be quite common for clubs aspiring to be successful.

It's not how much he spends anyway that's the problem, it's what he's spending it on, including paying for things like out of court settlements to former employees, assuming that's true. He didn't rule out paying fees in the January window, but I won't be holding my breath after last time and expect it to be loan signings.

But he didn't answer it did he.
     I quote ' He believes that there is a lot of potential for growing revenue and that, although he didn’t want to go into detail, there are areas showing good progress. He is confident that losses can be halved in one more season and break even achieved in another season and a half after that."

Straight out the book of Trussonomics, that!

No, I get your point, but it's precisely because fans do care about his thoughts on it that the question was asked of him.

I note it wasn't the only time he effectively dodged the question either. On reading some of his answers, you could be forgiven for interpreting them as him saying 'that really isn't something that should concern you,' which I agree is condescending and he shouldn't be surprised with our fan base and history that he's being asked awkward questions.

Incidentally I think he is still content going it alone and isn't looking for outside investment. No way would his ego tolerate power sharing. As for it being an attempt to give assurance to a money lender, why choose a meeting with CAST, or make any public declaration, to do that?
    Fans only care about it because he said it in the first place.

Blowing the league out the water, Premier league in 5 years, break-even.   None of that would be thrown in his face if he hadn't said it in the first place.

The rhetoric has calmed down a bit and some time lines extended but he is still doubling down on cloud cuckoo land.
  • T_C_E said:
    colthe3rd said:
    "He now approves all expenses"

How far down the football pyramid do we reckon that this sort of thing is normal behaviour? I'd be willing to guess that nearly all L1 owners do not do this?

To have this in the same sentence as "there are “a thousand more business principles which need to be applied throughout the club so it can run more agile”" it's unbelievably short sighted. An agile business is one that doesn't have an owner micro managing every single detail around it. 
    I can see both sides of it.

If it was my company i'd certainly want to know what we were paying out, how much, who to and how essential it was.

But it also depends how far he's taking it. I certainly wouldn't expect him to be signing off the cost for coffee and tea bags but anything over a grand or two i could understand.
    A monkey I'm told!
    If that's true it's absolutely bonkers. 
  • edited October 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:

He's either trying to get the attention of someone to get involved. But with the chance of maybe breaking even I doubt there's many investors falling over themselves to pour money in.

Or, he's trying to settle the nerves of someone who has already invested or got capital involved somewhere. Probably his bank manager hoping to at least get some of his money back!
    Would you rather he hadn't attempted to answer the questions asked of him by the Trust then?

Most might not worry about breaking even, but as as he said a while back that it was an aim, he was once again being asked to justify his comments. To be fair, he does have a duty of care as our owner to manage the Club's finances responsibly, although not doing so seems to be quite common for clubs aspiring to be successful.

It's not how much he spends anyway that's the problem, it's what he's spending it on, including paying for things like out of court settlements to former employees, assuming that's true. He didn't rule out paying fees in the January window, but I won't be holding my breath after last time and expect it to be loan signings.

I quote ' He believes that there is a lot of potential for growing revenue and that, although he didn’t want to go into detail, there are areas showing good progress. He is confident that losses can be halved in one more season and break even achieved in another season and a half after that."

No, I get your point, but it's precisely because fans do care about his thoughts on it that the question was asked of him.

I note it wasn't the only time he effectively dodged the question either. On reading some of his answers, you could be forgiven for interpreting them as him saying 'that really isn't something that should concern you,' which I agree is condescending and he shouldn't be surprised with our fan base and history that he's being asked awkward questions.

Incidentally I think he is still content going it alone and isn't looking for outside investment. No way would his ego tolerate power sharing. As for it being an attempt to give assurance to a money lender, why choose a meeting with CAST, or make any public declaration, to do that?

Blowing the league out the water, Premier league in 5 years, break-even.   None of that would be thrown in his face if he hadn't said it in the first place.

The rhetoric has calmed down a bit and some time lines extended but he is still doubling down on cloud cuckoo land.
    And because of how it affects decision making on things like future transfer policy I'd suggest, but I don't accept fans of ours wouldn't be interested otherwise. Just my opinion.
  • There is so much to be commented on I don’t know where to start. However, does anyone know exactly what costs have been cut for players overnight stays at away games? Are they being asked to stay with mates in the area?
  • There is so much to be commented on I don’t know where to start. However, does anyone know exactly what costs have been cut for players overnight stays at away games? Are they being asked to stay with mates in the area?
    I have missed out on this rumour, is it factual LA?
  • edited October 2022
    There is so much to be commented on I don’t know where to start. However, does anyone know exactly what costs have been cut for players overnight stays at away games? Are they being asked to stay with mates in the area?
    It’s in the CAST notes from the recent meeting with Thomas, link on previous page 138. He actually says ‘reducing away travel costs’ so it might not be accommodation but I’d have thought that would be the biggest outlay.
  • swordfish said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:

And because of how it affects decision making on things like future transfer policy I'd suggest, but I don't accept fans of ours wouldn't be interested otherwise. Just my opinion.
    Of course people would question why we didn't spend any money on transfer fees in the summer, despite having incoming fees.  Of course people would question wtf is going on with all the staff unrest.

If I have no doubt that if he hadn't promised the earth and then project break even he wouldn't be getting the stick he is.  He could easily have blamed it on Covid and general economic issues.
    It’s in the CAST notes from the recent meeting with Thomas, link on previous page 138. He actually says ‘reducing away travel costs’ so it might not be accommodation but I’d have thought that would be the biggest outlay.
    They're walking to and from away games.
  • edited October 2022
    Buying a football club was a big risk and he's bottled it. 
    Scraping the barrel for peanuts isn't how to run a club.

You also wouldn't have to bother with any of that if the club spent just 1 season back in the premier league. 

If Sandgaard was a politician then you'd better cover your ears 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    swordfish said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:

Of course people would question why we didn't spend any money on transfer fees in the summer, despite having incoming fees.  Of course people would question wtf is going on with all the staff unrest.

If I have no doubt that if he hadn't promised the earth and then project break even he wouldn't be getting the stick he is.  He could easily have blamed it on Covid and general economic issues.
    I'm trying to understand what it is I've been posting that is so contentious.  At no point have I questioned why he was getting stick today. Read my posts again if in doubt. Whatever you're taking issue with me about, which I don't understand anyway, I yield and will return to the shadows for the foreseeable because life's too short as it is.
  • boggzy said:
    shirty5 said:
    He’s getting triggered when he’s now having to mention Duchatelet. Not even 10 percent that went on with the protests etc back then, are even close to now.

I don’t see him being owner of Charlton by the start of next season in my opinion. Not been told or heard anything but running it down to the bear minimum may (in his mind) make it easier to sell by next summer 

I do dearly hope he isn't. 

If he doesn't want to be treated like Duchatelet, howabout he stops behaving like him.

What a clueless, condescending piece of shit the bloke is. Utter fantasist.

PS Can't believe the bullying concerns and myriad staff 'losses' weren't brought up at the meeting!
    I can.
    In terms of the reports that the culture inside the club was aggressive he said that it was “deliberate to challenge staff and in the name of change [in culture]”. He said we need something different either through the people already employed or by new people coming in.  A “whole different culture” is needed or “nothing will ever change”. He regretted that “initiatives that are well meant are viewed as offensive and aggressive by employees or people who are outside of the organisation”.
    They're walking to and from away games.
    As good an explanation as any for their lack of energy v. MKD, although the walk from Sparrows Lane to Floyd Road shouldn't have been THAT exhausting for professional athletes...
  • Pico said:
    boggzy said:
    shirty5 said:
    He’s getting triggered when he’s now having to mention Duchatelet. Not even 10 percent that went on with the protests etc back then, are even close to now.

I don’t see him being owner of Charlton by the start of next season in my opinion. Not been told or heard anything but running it down to the bear minimum may (in his mind) make it easier to sell by next summer 

I do dearly hope he isn't. 

If he doesn't want to be treated like Duchatelet, howabout he stops behaving like him.

What a clueless, condescending piece of shit the bloke is. Utter fantasist.

PS Can't believe the bullying concerns and myriad staff 'losses' weren't brought up at the meeting!
    I can.
    In terms of the reports that the culture inside the club was aggressive he said that it was “deliberate to challenge staff and in the name of change [in culture]”. He said we need something different either through the people already employed or by new people coming in.  A “whole different culture” is needed or “nothing will ever change”. He regretted that “initiatives that are well meant are viewed as offensive and aggressive by employees or people who are outside of the organisation”.
    " Change the culture" ...hmmm.

Is that USA speak for " We want all the existing staff out, then fill those posts with newer, cheaper bods ASAP" ? 

I've been told by a few people ITK over the past year or so, that THIS was clearly TS's cunning plan.

Think Chris Parkes as one of the first, prime examples....
    He is probably booking the first team into the local youth hostel.
  • edited October 2022
    There’s one major point that has been unclear to me for a while now.
    How drastically has the recent financial affairs at Zynex affected TS and his decision making?
    Maybe the unforeseen collapse of the share prices has left him in a position he hadn’t expected when he originally took over?
     I think there’s a strong possibility that it has drastically affected his liquid assets and that he doesn’t have the same confidence in financing us as he had planned.
    I have a hunch that how well Zynex is or isn’t performing is, and will continue to be, having a major effect on us.
  • Sponsored links:

• _MrDick said:
    He’s back in the country.
    And fronting rock band Cats in Space

Haha, dad rock
  • Bigger budget than last year yet we got rid of Gunter, Watson etc who must have been amongst our highest earners. 
  • shirty5 said:
    castrust said:
    CAST board members met with Thomas Sandgaard and other club representatives on Weds evening. Here's the full report:

https://www.castrust.org/2022/10/thomas-sandgaard-break-even-scenario-would-not-be-achieved-by-cost-cutting/
    Where to even start with that! Could be here all day 
    So we have the 4th highest budget & it's higher than last year but we are I believe 10 players light from last season & we hear that we are paying 4th division wages. Jack Payne for one came here on less wages than he was offered at Swindon, so where is this higher players budget being spent ?
  • shirty5 said:
    castrust said:
    CAST board members met with Thomas Sandgaard and other club representatives on Weds evening. Here's the full report:

https://www.castrust.org/2022/10/thomas-sandgaard-break-even-scenario-would-not-be-achieved-by-cost-cutting/
    So we have the 4th highest budget & it's higher than last year but we are I believe 10 players light from last season & we hear that we are paying 4th division wages. Jack Payne for one came here on less wages than he was offered at Swindon, so where is this higher players budget being spent ?
    Didn’t say player budget did it? 
  • shirty5 said:
    castrust said:

Didn’t say player budget did it? 
    Yes it did.
  • 4th highest budget yet Garner saying we need open heart surgery and that he would have massively over achieved to get top 6. 
    Is TS talking rubbish or is Garner of defeatist attitude?