Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    I have no real knowledge of Garners abilities but still think, as it stands, he's been badly let down in this transfer window.
    Time will tell I suppose, but if the sh*t does hit the fan on the pitch relatively early on it will be interesting to see who's jugular the fans go for?.
    The managers or the owners?
    In what way, budget? Or number of signings? We released most players who were out of contract, realistically we weren’t going to move on several out of contract players.
     Bit of both really. One goes hand in hand with the other I suppose.
    For instance, Letting Washington go was a big mistake. Not replacing him is an even bigger one. And I wasn't even Washington's biggest fan!

The whole thing looks seriously unbalanced to me. No depth in lots of areas. Excess depth in others. It just has a feel,to me anyway of one that is not capable of doing much.
    I understand the point you’re trying to make.  But seriously go look at the squad after one game from the 18/19 season.  

We’ve got more contracted players now than any other season in recent memory.  I accept you might feel they’re not good enough and I’ll agree with you if we finish 13th again, but it’s really not that bad on paper at all.  
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    I have no real knowledge of Garners abilities but still think, as it stands, he's been badly let down in this transfer window.
    Time will tell I suppose, but if the sh*t does hit the fan on the pitch relatively early on it will be interesting to see who's jugular the fans go for?.
    In what way, budget? Or number of signings? We released most players who were out of contract, realistically we weren’t going to move on several out of contract players.
    For instance, Letting Washington go was a big mistake. Not replacing him is an even bigger one. And I wasn't even Washington's biggest fan!

The whole thing looks seriously unbalanced to me. No depth in lots of areas. Excess depth in others. It just has a feel,to me anyway of one that is not capable of doing much.
    We’re clearly in a stronger position than last year when we had the likes of Ghandour and Clayden on the bench as our attacking options. Kirk and Fraser are effectively like new signings given how little they played last season. We’ve had to sign targets when they became available, you can’t wait until you’ve offloaded the players they’re replacing.

I expect we’ll bring in at least a couple more while also letting at least one or two go which should solve some of those issues. The squad was never going to be finished by this point, that’s how it works at this level rather than being a mistake by TS.

It also depends how you see certain players, I think Clare will do well as a right back for example and don’t see Sessegnon preferring his right foot as big an issue as others do. I said during the Swansea game Leaburn should cause opponents problems this season and I won’t be surprised if one or two others step up to the first team.

I don’t know if it’ll come off but I can see what they’re trying to do, it feels like there’s more logic to it than there was last year. I do feel we need these last few signings to add some real quality, while that’s concerning it was also the case for Powell and Bowyer’s promotion sides.
    Don’t think that’s quite accurate for Powell. Much as I liked Yann, I think we’d have gone up without him and the rest was in place.
  • Options
    Interesting, so there is a dilemma here.

Be content that TS came in and moved some nasty characters away from any attachment to the Club. We were becoming a joke (validated by regular Talksport airtime)

Wish that somebody gave ESI millions and allow their crook-ways to have won, by using our club as some sort of ______.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I understand the point you’re trying to make.  But seriously go look at the squad after one game from the 18/19 season.  

We’ve got more contracted players now than any other season in recent memory.  I accept you might feel they’re not good enough and I’ll agree with you if we finish 13th again, but it’s really not that bad on paper at all.  
     If the mighty teams on paper we've seen in recent years had stayed on paper and not on the pitch then maybe we would be contesting a champions League spot this season!
  • Options
    I think people will just stop going if that happens. You’ll see attendances of 8,000 and fewer.
    Apathy is far more concerning than anger.

100% this
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

We’re clearly in a stronger position than last year when we had the likes of Ghandour and Clayden on the bench as our attacking options. Kirk and Fraser are effectively like new signings given how little they played last season. We’ve had to sign targets when they became available, you can’t wait until you’ve offloaded the players they’re replacing.

I expect we’ll bring in at least a couple more while also letting at least one or two go which should solve some of those issues. The squad was never going to be finished by this point, that’s how it works at this level rather than being a mistake by TS.

It also depends how you see certain players, I think Clare will do well as a right back for example and don’t see Sessegnon preferring his right foot as big an issue as others do. I said during the Swansea game Leaburn should cause opponents problems this season and I won’t be surprised if one or two others step up to the first team.

I don’t know if it’ll come off but I can see what they’re trying to do, it feels like there’s more logic to it than there was last year. I do feel we need these last few signings to add some real quality, while that’s concerning it was also the case for Powell and Bowyer’s promotion sides.
    Don’t think that’s quite accurate for Powell. Much as I liked Yann, I think we’d have gone up without him and the rest was in place.
    There’s no doubt Yann took that team up another level and Cort also signed late in the window. We were fortunate with injuries meaning Cort didn’t play much until towards but without him Doherty would have been 3rd choice centre back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think people will just stop going if that happens. You’ll see attendances of 8,000 and fewer.

It sure it’s apathy. More like despair.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

There’s no doubt Yann took that team up another level and Cort also signed late in the window. We were fortunate with injuries meaning Cort didn’t play much until towards but without him Doherty would have been 3rd choice centre back.
    I did like Cort.
    Did Cort come on here and say thank you after he left ? 
  • Options

When I started going in the 70's, that was a period of apathy and attendances fluctuated between 7k to 9k, over 10k for London derbies, but that was in the old Division 2, so at a higher level than we are now.

Not sure what this adds to the debate other than to show much has happened between then and now, some of it very good, so don't be too despondent. Good times could be just round the corner, and for some older than others on here to enjoy them, they need to be.

• Options

Apathy generally overstated the "boycott" IMO. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Yann turned us from a play off team to a title winning team 
    Definitely. I remember when he was injured or suspended for Huddersfield away that season and how average we looked without him. 
  • Options
    What is frustrating is that when Yann visited the Valley with Reading, the twat of an owner probably wasn't watching the game. This was the player who wasn't good enough lest we forget. Had he watched the game Old Yellow Tooth would surely have seen what a fool he was. Mind you, probably not. He had no awareness of how shit an owner he was did he?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    He was sadly one of those players who like Jordan Rhodes fell into that abyss of a gap where he wasnt good enough for the Premier League, but was better than the Championship - Still remember how he tore us a new one when Bournemouth came to the Valley as Champions, kept dropping deep from centre, which allowed Ritchie and Wilson to play off him.

Even a few years later when we played Reading, we just couldn't handle him.

He's perhaps the one ex-player that I couldn't begrudge when he single handedly tore us apart in those two games - Probably because when he departed, it wasn't due to a player throwing toys out of a pram, but a twat of an owner unable to see the gem he already had.
    He was widely applauded by Charlton fans when he scored against us.
    Yeah that was a bizarre game against Reading. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Would we be in danger of hounding out another owner? And regretting it? Rightfully the action was taken against RD, The same people now are having doubts about TS, who appears to be a different type of person. If he was, who do people expect to pick up the mantle. Feels like we are going around in circles. Any people with doubts  need to be 100% sure and have facts that this guy isn’t for us, otherwise it’s just unhelpful noise and maybe let him try and get things right. I don’t care if it’s TS or anyone else as long as the club on and off the pitch are in the right place. 
    Yes, we would be in danger of "hounding him out" if we were protesting or anything similar. Having doubts, questioning some of his decision making and criticising some of his actions is miles away from anything like hounding him out. Sandgaard is not being treated like Roland was (rightfully so). From what I can see/read, 95% of fans are more than happy to give him the opportunity to get things right, but that doesn't mean they can't have an opinion does it? 
    No not at all, but those people also need to respect others opinion and not try and shut them up if they disagree.Seems to be a lot of doubt and moaning if 95% are happy though. We are never going to have the perfect owner so sometimes better the devil you know. 
    I never said 95% are happy, I said they were happy to give Sandgaard an opportunity. Like I said, I don't think that automatically means they cannot criticise, it shouldn't be all or nothing. We've all moaned about our partners and/or friends, doesn't mean you want rid of them. I moan about Charlton all the bloody time, but I won't stop them supporting the club. Of course, that works best ways and for those defending Sandgaard at every opportunity they're welcome to that opinion. 99% of fans aiming any criticism towards Sandgaard would love to turn around in the future and admit they were wrong. 
    Yet again, for clarification, I’m not defending sandgaards actions, I’m defending his right to do as he wishes and to get things right. I don’t think people would admit they were completely wrong, they still may not end up being wrong. They would just say they were entitled to have doubts and celebrate like the rest like nothing had happened, then find something else to moan about. Winning games will dampen a lot of noise I’m sure. Let’s wait to see the comments once TS has been on the pitch today and see which were  worthwhile and which were just bitching about him. People want they’re cake and eat it. Thanks for lols in advance by the way from the regulars.👍😂
    I never said you were. 

I don’t think people will be completely wrong though. Even if we end up getting to the Prem under Sandgaard, doesn’t mean that some of the criticism along the way was unjustified does it? I agree there’s a select few that want to dig Sandgaard out whatever he does, but that’s a very small minority. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    He was sadly one of those players who like Jordan Rhodes fell into that abyss of a gap where he wasnt good enough for the Premier League, but was better than the Championship - Still remember how he tore us a new one when Bournemouth came to the Valley as Champions, kept dropping deep from centre, which allowed Ritchie and Wilson to play off him.

Even a few years later when we played Reading, we just couldn't handle him.

He's perhaps the one ex-player that I couldn't begrudge when he single handedly tore us apart in those two games - Probably because when he departed, it wasn't due to a player throwing toys out of a pram, but a twat of an owner unable to see the gem he already had.
    He was widely applauded by Charlton fans when he scored against us.
    Yeah that was a bizarre game against Reading. 
    The Bournemouth game was quite bizarre too, watching and admiring a Yann masterclass, whilst knowing what could and should have been.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Would we be in danger of hounding out another owner? And regretting it? Rightfully the action was taken against RD, The same people now are having doubts about TS, who appears to be a different type of person. If he was, who do people expect to pick up the mantle. Feels like we are going around in circles. Any people with doubts  need to be 100% sure and have facts that this guy isn’t for us, otherwise it’s just unhelpful noise and maybe let him try and get things right. I don’t care if it’s TS or anyone else as long as the club on and off the pitch are in the right place. 
    Yes, we would be in danger of "hounding him out" if we were protesting or anything similar. Having doubts, questioning some of his decision making and criticising some of his actions is miles away from anything like hounding him out. Sandgaard is not being treated like Roland was (rightfully so). From what I can see/read, 95% of fans are more than happy to give him the opportunity to get things right, but that doesn't mean they can't have an opinion does it? 
    No not at all, but those people also need to respect others opinion and not try and shut them up if they disagree.Seems to be a lot of doubt and moaning if 95% are happy though. We are never going to have the perfect owner so sometimes better the devil you know. 
    I never said 95% are happy, I said they were happy to give Sandgaard an opportunity. Like I said, I don't think that automatically means they cannot criticise, it shouldn't be all or nothing. We've all moaned about our partners and/or friends, doesn't mean you want rid of them. I moan about Charlton all the bloody time, but I won't stop them supporting the club. Of course, that works best ways and for those defending Sandgaard at every opportunity they're welcome to that opinion. 99% of fans aiming any criticism towards Sandgaard would love to turn around in the future and admit they were wrong. 
    Yet again, for clarification, I’m not defending sandgaards actions, I’m defending his right to do as he wishes and to get things right. I don’t think people would admit they were completely wrong, they still may not end up being wrong. They would just say they were entitled to have doubts and celebrate like the rest like nothing had happened, then find something else to moan about. Winning games will dampen a lot of noise I’m sure. Let’s wait to see the comments once TS has been on the pitch today and see which were  worthwhile and which were just bitching about him. People want they’re cake and eat it. Thanks for lols in advance by the way from the regulars.👍😂
    I never said you were. 

I don’t think people will be completely wrong though. Even if we end up getting to the Prem under Sandgaard, doesn’t mean that some of the criticism along the way was unjustified does it? I agree there’s a select few that want to dig Sandgaard out whatever he does, but that’s a very small minority. 
    👍
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    Rothko said:
    Definitely. I remember when he was injured or suspended for Huddersfield away that season and how average we looked without him. 
    Or how goodnwe looked without him in the Huddersfield home game.....

I think without Yann we would have finished in the top 3.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Smithy said:
    Rothko said:

Yann scored in that game.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Smithy said:
    Rothko said:

Yann scored in that game.
    Yup I am thinking of a different game!  

Now I can't even think about what game I was thinking about....

Oh well I would still say we had a very good team without him, obviously a better one with him it though.
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    Scoham said:
    TS being interviewed on the pitch tomorrow.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/eight-things-do-derby-clash
    Seriously, WHY ??? Look at me ?
    Its comments like this that really grate on me. Seriously, why does it matter? If you are going to the game stay in the concourse and have a beer and ignore what he is saying on the pitch, it really is that simple. And then tomorrow when you read on here what he said you can have another dig at him. Win, win for you!
    Excellent idea.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Agree, never thought Hayes was quite good enough, Yann was quality.