Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2022
    The gate was just over 9,000. I think an unusual number arrived during the first half.

If there were about 6,600 Charlton fans for FGR on a Tuesday, it’s likely that translates to circa 8,000 on a Saturday, notwithstanding the transport chaos yesterday.

I’d expect Exeter to be on a par with FGR.
  • Options
    Weirdly the crowd got a tiny boost from tourists here for the NFL game, I saw a load of people near me wearing Viking's jerseys. 
  • Options
    Neither Duchatelet nor Sandgaard have failed to put money into the club, although both spent a lot of money early and then turned the tap off. Both did it badly and failed to get the outcomes they expected from the spending.

Both received significant net transfer income and used that towards covering the operating loss.

it’s clearly true that Sandgaard has under equipped the squad this season and that will likely prove a false economy, but accusing him of being tight is not valid over the longer term.

Demanding more spending isn’t going to solve the problem and isn’t a good look in the context of the club’s finances and League One football. Evidence suggests that he would spend it badly.

For me the problem is TS himself - not that he is a crook or part of a conspiracy but that he isn’t very good at running a football club. But he continues to insist on doing so himself and realistically will for as long as he’s here.

At his age, life experience and work experience,  he should know when he needs to ask people for qualified professional help and advice, and follow it through.
    The challenge at hand isn't as easy as he may have assumed. 
    He needs to accept the problem. 

If you don't ask, you don't get

• Options
    Neither Duchatelet nor Sandgaard have failed to put money into the club, although both spent a lot of money early and then turned the tap off. Both did it badly and failed to get the outcomes they expected from the spending.

Both received significant net transfer income and used that towards covering the operating loss.

it’s clearly true that Sandgaard has under equipped the squad this season and that will likely prove a false economy, but accusing him of being tight is not valid over the longer term.

Demanding more spending isn’t going to solve the problem and isn’t a good look in the context of the club’s finances and League One football. Evidence suggests that he would spend it badly.

For me the problem is TS himself - not that he is a crook or part of a conspiracy but that he isn’t very good at running a football club. But he continues to insist on doing so himself and realistically will for as long as he’s here.
    Which is why an increasing number want to oust him now and why I see that banner as a rallying cry for the next fans against the ownership battle to commence. 

I don't think it would be in the best interests of the Club this time to go down that route, but with a team finding it hard to win games, an inside informant deriding the owner and his family almost daily on twitter now, and the final VOTV in circulation, which, although will be a compelling well researched read as usual, will probably enrage an increasingly disgruntled fan base (not seen it yet, bloody post!), I only expect the disquiet to escalate from here.

As ever, my question to whoever wants him out is, what is the viable alternative? He's paying our bills for now, or has been, so if he gets so pissed off that he stops doing that, what next?
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

At his age, life experience and work experience,  he should know when he needs to ask people for qualified professional help and advice, and follow it through.
    The challenge at hand isn't as easy as he may have assumed. 
    He needs to accept the problem. 

If you don't ask, you don't get

Reckon having age and experience on ones side can have two effect on their outlook, one being as you've described, and the other, the polar opposite, à la Roly.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    swordfish said:

Which is why an increasing number want to oust him now and why I see that banner as a rallying cry for the next fans against the ownership battle to commence. 

I don't think it would be in the best interests of the Club this time to go down that route, but with a team finding it hard to win games, an inside informant deriding the owner and his family almost daily on twitter now, and the final VOTV in circulation, which, although will be a compelling well researched read as usual, will probably enrage an increasingly disgruntled fan base (not seen it yet, bloody post!), I only expect the disquiet to escalate from here.

As ever, my question to whoever wants him out is, what is the viable alternative? He's paying our bills for now, or has been, so if he gets so pissed off that he stops doing that, what next?
    What next to TS not paying the bills anymore  -  Administration. This would mean being deducted points & getting relegated. As getting relegated this season is a possibility anyway you could simply see it as a way of TS leaving the club and CAFC starting anew. 

It might actually be a Godsend. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Weirdly the crowd got a tiny boost from tourists here for the NFL game, I saw a load of people near me wearing Viking's jerseys. 
    Norwegian football league? 
  • Options
    swordfish said:

What next to TS not paying the bills anymore  -  Administration. This would mean being deducted points & getting relegated. As getting relegated this season is a possibility anyway you could simply see it as a way of TS leaving the club and CAFC starting anew. 

What goes up, must come down and vise versa.

Administration may just be a fresh start for everyone.

Rebuilding the destruction of something carries keeping a chunk of significant momentum. We all know that.

It won't be long before Portsmouth get back to the Championship. Remember what happened to them?

They completely crumbled both on and off the pitch 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Can't get away from Rifkinds comments. And I'm pretty sure they were echoed by Sandgaard despite what he may have said.
    It's quite clear they need further investment from elsewhere. But low crowds and league one in general means they won't be getting it anytime soon.
    When he first turned up,  Sandgaard needed to hit the ground running and get us up ASAP. Any longer than two seasons and he must have known he was in trouble. There was no long term plan in his mind. Get us up. Get the numbers back watching and the corporate and sponsorship deals will slowly start to flow.. And maybe we would start to become a little more self sufficient
     TBF he very nearly managed it with Adkins. If he'd managed to get us up then things may have been so much different.
    Where things are now is anyone's guess. But it's certainly not in any sort of good place.
    Carly I agree with most of what you say, however he didn’t nearly get us up. The team wasn’t great and we nearly scraped the play offs. I don’t think we would have won them. Weak team.

However I do miss ‘walking is brilliant, talking is brilliant’. At least he had some character.
  • Options
    swordfish said:

I doubt that would get him off the hook he’s put himself on. We can’t be expected not to respond to him running the club into the ground for fear he won’t like it. That’s not deliverable even if it was desirable. I don’t favour organised protests because I don’t think they will achieve anything, but the numbers (£s) will bring him down anyway unless he adapts, and maybe even then.
    U don’t favour organised protests airman? - well that’s an honest admission in itself - I think there’s a time and a place for them but it ain’t now 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    AndyG said:
    I think the crowd will be very low today. What with the rail issues, current atmosphere within the club etc it isnt really a game for a big crowd

Might break a record for all time lowest home league game attendance at the valley.

Small local businesses may heavily rely on those 23 days a year where there will be crowds of people present. 

I bet sandguard will blame it on covid peak residue 
    Did u not go in the late 70’s and early 80’s ??
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    AndyG said:
    I think the crowd will be very low today. What with the rail issues, current atmosphere within the club etc it isnt really a game for a big crowd

Might break a record for all time lowest home league game attendance at the valley.

Small local businesses may heavily rely on those 23 days a year where there will be crowds of people present. 

I bet sandguard will blame it on covid peak residue 
    Did u not go in the late 70’s and early 80’s ??
  • Options

On house outside Valley today !!
    What does it say, I can't read or enlarge it 
    There’s tight, then there’s Thomas Sandgaard 
    Thanks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    swordfish said:

How do we go into administration?  Thomas will get nothing if we do.  It's still much more likely we get flogged, again, for £1 than administration.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I’m still going, no matter the owner, no matter the results. Can’t hang around waiting for better times at my age. 
    Classic. Missed today’s match as my wife tested positive for covid, and I feel rough too. 
    Still watched on CTV.
    Should you have travelled abroad with a possible covid infection?
    Private jet 😉
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    swordfish said:

How do we go into administration?  Thomas will get nothing if we do.  It's still much more likely we get flogged, again, for £1 than administration.
    He might not get anything back but he wont be putting in £500k per month. That's a saving in itself. 

• Options
    Ben Garner may well be a better 'football' manager than we are allowed to see.

After we signed him I read up about his career and was particularly struck by events at Bristol City.  He was ultra compliant to the  owner's objectives and it may well have cost him his job.  I think the same thing is happening here.  He has signed on the dotted line and is dancing to Sandgaard's tune. (Apart from Addicks to Victory). 

At Bristol City he said "I felt the priority was building infrastructure and delivering on the football and business model that the club wanted to put in place – even if that meant criticism for me in the short term".

Here's what he said after his sacking: 

"In terms of our remit, we ticked a lot of boxes, we lowered the average age of the squad considerably, generated significant profits in transfer fees and reduced the wage bill. We were growing as a group, with a developing playing identity.The targets given to me of improving infrastructure, creating an identity, and developing young players were all well under way – all alongside a training ground being developed. Unfortunately, after going through that process and putting in an incredible amount of work across the club, the situation changed after seven league games of the new season".

Unless he grows a pair and goes kicking and screaming to Sandgaard with demands of his own I fear this will end just as badly for him.  
    You might want to edit that to read Rovers where his return wouldn't be welcomed!
  • Options

After we signed him I read up about his career and was particularly struck by events at Bristol City.  He was ultra compliant to the  owner's objectives and it may well have cost him his job.  I think the same thing is happening here.  He has signed on the dotted line and is dancing to Sandgaard's tune. (Apart from Addicks to Victory). 

At Bristol City he said "I felt the priority was building infrastructure and delivering on the football and business model that the club wanted to put in place – even if that meant criticism for me in the short term".

"In terms of our remit, we ticked a lot of boxes, we lowered the average age of the squad considerably, generated significant profits in transfer fees and reduced the wage bill. We were growing as a group, with a developing playing identity.The targets given to me of improving infrastructure, creating an identity, and developing young players were all well under way – all alongside a training ground being developed. Unfortunately, after going through that process and putting in an incredible amount of work across the club, the situation changed after seven league games of the new season".

Unless he grows a pair and goes kicking and screaming to Sandgaard with demands of his own I fear this will end just as badly for him.  
    The club was actually Bristol Rovers, it was Garner"s first job in charge, he was 39 and a relative unknown.  During that spell he had the COVID-19 lockdown and some extended time out due to a private family matter.

I'm not sure kicking and screaming will do him much good, but I do expect that we now have a wiser Ben Garner who learnt a lot from that challenging period at Bristol Rovers including how to manage up.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:

I doubt that would get him off the hook he’s put himself on. We can’t be expected not to respond to him running the club into the ground for fear he won’t like it. That’s not deliverable even if it was desirable. I don’t favour organised protests because I don’t think they will achieve anything, but the numbers (£s) will bring him down anyway unless he adapts, and maybe even then.
    It worries me that because TS has made laughable statements using spurious numbers, angry fans might be motivated to prove him wrong. Under RD's ownership there was a collective drive to deprive him of money, which backfired as he won't write off the losses he incurred. If people don't attend due to pricing or product, that's one thing, but if to make the owner look like an idiot, which he doesn't need help with, it's quite another.

I would like to make the point that unfortunately, due to Covid,  TS didn't really benefit as much from a new ownership bounce in attendance numbers as he might have expected because, by the time things were back to normal, so were we, underperforming on the pitch. Well missing out on the playoff spots narrowly anyway, and we've had little to excite us since.

If he bought the Club believing it to be a sleeping giant, I feel he was misled to a degree and under his stewardship we're showing no signs of being raised from our slumbers. 
    Not sure this is about “punishing” TS - people are not going because he has overpriced the tickets and the football is poor. Gates were always going to fall because we’d been relegated. They would have increased on 18/19, but the figures last season are screwed by comps/methodology changes.

Boycotts probably didn’t cost RD more than £3m in total, arguably a lot less, and he wrote off a big tranche of debt when he sold the club to ESI. I don’t think you can draw a straight line from those losses to his current expectations, which in any case have not been fixed.
  • Options

Judging by the way they’ve treated other staff, I don’t se that “growing a pair” will change anything other than to hasten his departure.

He’ll get this season at least.
    Hand picked by his super knowledgeable son.