Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Open 2022

Starts tomorrow, is Rory going to end his 8 year wait for a major? Xander Schauffle comes in red hot form winning his last 3 tournaments. Tiger comes back but still not in great health but can you back against him? Who do you all fancy? 

I have a random line up so far: 
Schauffle
Rose
Power
M.Hughes
Detry
Bland
K.Mitchell
Perez

Been told Justin Thomas could be the man to beat and has good value, for me golf is one of the most wide open sports right now, so much talent. Some value in the places in half of those i've gone 14 places. 

Even though i haven't backed him, come on Rory!  

Comments

• Options
    Always Louis!

Sergio looks a huge price (125/1) and he knows how to play the course.

DJ too big a price at 33/1 - especially if the wind doesn't blow.

Rory too short at 10/1 but I hope he wins.

Hopefully Tiger is fit enough to be competitive - he certainly knows how to play the course!

I just love The Open. 
  • Options
    always have a bet on Louis, will have a few other dabbles as well.

Loving Sky's coverage so far and the tournament hasn't even begun yet
  • Options

Yes it’s been good watching the buildup, cam smith in the wind wouldn’t be a bad shout.
  • Options
    paulfox said:

Yes it’s been good watching the buildup, cam smith in the wind wouldn’t be a bad shout.
    The forecast is for a moderate breeze 10-12mph for all four days. I don't think that's enough to cancel out the big hitters' advantages on a short course.
  • Options
    The Open at St Andrew's surely must be the blue ribbon in any golfers career or have I got that wrong ?
  • Options
    Always love the Open & will be watching it from dawn to dusk. Not my favourite Open venue & having played it twice before (and stayed at the Old Course Hotel) I can say it is not even the best course in St Andrews !

However, it is was it is. Hard to pick a winner and the Open often throws up an outsider or certainly not a Brit. Love Rory to win but think it will be a "foreigner"  - who though I have no idea. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    The Open at St Andrew's surely must be the blue ribbon in any golfers career or have I got that wrong ?
    Jack Nicklaus said yesterday that Bobby Jones told him to be considered a truly great golfer you have to win an Open at St Andrews. Jack didn't disagree so neither will I.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Big one this year 150th open.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    paulfox said:

The forecast is for a moderate breeze 10-12mph for all four days. I don't think that's enough to cancel out the big hitters' advantages on a short course.
    Think it depends on direction. Can’t rule out Rory either.
  • Options
    Always love the Open & will be watching it from dawn to dusk. Not my favourite Open venue & having played it twice before (and stayed at the Old Course Hotel) I can say it is not even the best course in St Andrews !

However, it is was it is. Hard to pick a winner and the Open often throws up an outsider or certainly not a Brit. Love Rory to win but think it will be a "foreigner"  - who though I have no idea. 
    I've also played it twice, as well as most in the area. Which course in St Andrews is better..?

It's a Jordan Spieth week for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedPanda said:

I've also played it twice, as well as most in the area. Which course in St Andrews is better..?

Never played it, know people that have and they were underwhelmed by the course, but overwhelmed that they got to play with the history attached, I’d love to play it. Good shout with speith, his imagination and the fact he’s won the open. Anyone that knows anything definitely ram home the need for experience on the open courses to be in the mix.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    RedPanda said:

Never played it, know people that have and they were underwhelmed by the course, but overwhelmed that they got to play with the history attached, I’d love to play it. Good shout with speith, his imagination and the fact he’s won the open. Anyone that knows anything definitely ram home the need for experience on the open courses to be in the mix.
    The first time I was a little underwhelmed, holes 2 to 6 blend into one and 9 and 10 aren't great holes. Then it's one of the best back nines in golf. It was better on a second visit and in an opposite wind. The head of my 4 iron came off the shaft on impact on the 17th tee, my own little bit of St Andrews history there. Of all the holes for that to happen...

Having them played all I'd put the Open courses in this order objectively: Portrush, Turnberry, Carnoustie, RSG, St Andrews, Muirfield, Birkdale, Deal, Lytham, Hoylake, Prestwick, Troon, Princes, Musselburgh (although this is easily the best value).
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    paulfox said:
    RedPanda said:

The first time I was a little underwhelmed, holes 2 to 6 blend into one and 9 and 10 aren't great holes. Then it's one of the best back nines in golf. It was better on a second visit and in an opposite wind. The head of my 4 iron came off the shaft on impact on the 17th tee, my own little bit of St Andrews history there. Of all the holes for that to happen...

Having them played all I'd put the Open courses in this order objectively: Portrush, Turnberry, Carnoustie, RSG, St Andrews, Muirfield, Birkdale, Deal, Lytham, Hoylake, Prestwick, Troon, Princes, Musselburgh (although this is easily the best value).
    A lucky man to be able to have played them all.👍
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    RedPanda said:

I have heard the same, not particularly thrilling as a golf course, but to have played it is the ‘thing’

Personally, I think Royal St George’s and Carnoustie are the best courses

I’m gonna stick my neck out and the winner will be Rory
  • Options
    The problem for backing Rory (betting wise) he is far too short, i agree he has a great chance and would love to see it but 10/1 , no thank you, Xander at 14/1 is very good value in contrast he's the player on form right now.
  • Options
    Just seen an interview with John Daly. Totally coherent and recalling his liking for St Andrews. Perhaps his biggest achievement, apart from the numerous charities he supports, is still being with us.
  • Options
    Well done on calling it the Open, not the British Open. Going to drive me bananas hearing the Americans call it that all weekend.
  • Options
    Lowry 22/1 (9 places at WH)
    Cantlay 28/1 (9 places at WH)
    Zalatoris 30/1 (8 places at 365)
    Burns 50/1 (8 places at 365)
    Bezuidenhout 125/1 (8 places at 365)
    Wise 125/1 (9 places at WH)
  • Options
    Padraig Harrington 160-1  ( E/W - top 12 on Betfair )
    Dustin Johnson 40-1 EW
    Justin Rose 80-1 EW
    Bryson DeChambeau 100-1 EW
    Tommy Fleetwood Top 5 13-2

Rory to miss the cut - 5-1 

• Options
    Well done on calling it the Open, not the British Open. Going to drive me bananas hearing the Americans call it that all weekend.
    Winds me up no end as well - only slightly more then when they call it The Epsom Derby - grrrrrrrrrrr!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have modest bets on McIlroy, Zalatoris, Thomas and Schaufele. Without wishing to start another debate I just hope none of the LIV defectors win it. I have a funny feeling that after all the (merited and appropriate) hullabaloo about the 150th Open that we’ll see a left field never to be heard of again winner from the Ben Curtis & Todd Hamilton school of champions. I hope I’m wrong. 
  • Options
    I'm here today for the Practise day.  Beautiful this morning - the wind has got up a lot this afternoon.

Skybet paying 1/5 odds TOP 14 if you fancy skinnier odds.

If the wind stays like this (though it's forecast to ease off but some rain on Friday and Sunday) a good iron player should prevail.... weird or obvious as that sounds.

The rough is wispy and not overly long. 

Home fancy - Fleetwood - 25s top 14
    Southern Hemisphere - Cam Smith / Bezendenouit
    Morikawa
    McIlroy probably top 10 as usual as he could score heavily with the wind and less strong winds.

• Options
    supaclive said:
    I'm here today for the Practise day.  Beautiful this morning - the wind has got up a lot this afternoon.

If the wind stays like this (though it's forecast to ease off but some rain on Friday and Sunday) a good iron player should prevail.... weird or obvious as that sounds.

Morikawa
    McIlroy probably top 10 as usual as he could score heavily with the wind and less strong winds.

Wow lucky you, are you going to any more days? I would love to do this and thanks for sharing the photos, agree i think Zalatoris would be a great bet with his iron play, just i don't trust his putting. I wouldn't be surprised if he does win, to be honest by name and nature i think you could pick 15 players and still fall short here. Part of the excitement! 
  • Options
    I've been lucky enough to play quite a few of the Open Rota courses with Turnberry my favourite although I haven't played Portrush, RSG, Muirfield or Birkdale. There is no doubt that playing St Andrews is something special but the course is unusual and must take a lot of getting used to. On the Open itself I backed Xander at 33-1 two weeks ago so I obviously hope his good form continues. Also done Oosthuizen, Finau, Niemann, Homa and a big outsider Fritelli all ew. Should be a great week, good luck to all.
  • Options
    Have backed Cam Smith, Rose and Fleetwood, can’t see Rory getting close by the weekend
    The coverage on sky has been great so far

• Options
    supaclive said:

Morikawa

Wow lucky you, are you going to any more days? I would love to do this and thanks for sharing the photos, agree i think Zalatoris would be a great bet with his iron play, just i don't trust his putting. I wouldn't be surprised if he does win, to be honest by name and nature i think you could pick 15 players and still fall short here. Part of the excitement! 
    No.  Just here for practise day.  Played Goswick on the way up yesterday off the Blues and was delighted with an 81.   Playing North Berwick on the way home tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    bobmunro said:
    Winds me up no end as well - only slightly more then when they call it The Epsom Derby - grrrrrrrrrrr!
    FWIW I've played Epsom golf course. Cracking little track with really wicked greens  especially in the summer when they are as fast as hell. 

As to my favourite Open courses I've played. In order probably

Carnoustie 
    Birkdale
    RSG
    Deal (Cinque Ports)
    Princes 
    St Andrews
    Prestwick

And better than the Old Course in the area.....The New Course & St Andrew's Bay.
  • Options
    I always liked the Jubilee at St Andrews 

• Options
    Old, Castle, New, Eden, Jubilee would be my preference of the Links Trust courses.

St Andrews Bay's owners/Fairmont, aren't happy with their courses and so are renovating + cutting out 18 of their 36 holes https://golfbusinessnews.com/news/courses/fairmont-st-andrews-submits-plans-to-combine-kittocks-and-torrance-courses-into-one-world-class-layout/

Probably also with a view to raising green fees to Kingbarns & Dumbarnie levels.
  • Options
    First time I’ve ever fancied  McIroy but too short at 10s. Have backed Fleetwood and Koepka