Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Open 2022

Comments

• Options
    Anyway sorry, it’s the open thread. Going off piste!!. Apologies.😬
  • Options
    Really like watching Golf. Never played a round apart from pitch and putt. Hopeless.
  • Options
    Raining this morning. Some amusing stuff going on already up the first. 
  • Options
    Really like watching Golf. Never played a round apart from pitch and putt. Hopeless.
    About my level. And I've been doing it on and off for over 25 years!
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Am I watching on my own today?  It’s gone from cold and rain to a nice day with a birdie fest going on. Loads of the big guns circling around the top of the leaderboard. Tiger making a painful sight as he heads towards a missed cut. A heroic effort and he didn’t get a lot of luck especially with the putter. I’d have loved him to make the weekend but maybe now we can put aside the obsession with him for the next couple of days and watch the real tournament enfold. It’s gonna be a belter. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Anyway sorry, it’s the open thread. Going off piste!!. Apologies.😬
    Nah, you’re thinking of skiing. 🤪
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I am watching but it's become a little bit of a chore. Yesterday's golf was so slow and today Laura Davies is boring me with her monotone and constant stating of the obvious.

It's shaping up to be a heck of a leaderboard though, as long as someone like Smith doesn't run and hide. The wind is switching so it's a little bit into on the back 9, albeit it's gonna die out as the day prolongs. 
  • Options
    The ovation given to Woods was amazing, it moved him to tears, tbf me to.
    Rory has started well but won't be finished until about 9 tonight I guess.
    Play has been really slow though.
  • Options
    Cam Smith playing a blinding front 9.

Potential to be a great weekend with Smith, DJ, Rory, Scott, Cantlay, Fitzpatrick all in the top 10...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedPanda said:
    I am watching but it's become a little bit of a chore. Yesterday's golf was so slow and today Laura Davies is boring me with her monotone and constant stating of the obvious.

It's shaping up to be a heck of a leaderboard though, as long as someone like Smith doesn't run and hide. The wind is switching so it's a little bit into on the back 9, albeit it's gonna die out as the day prolongs. 
    For all their excellence in coverage, I do think the Sky commentary team could do with a refresh. McGinley and Coltart have been around for years and although I have a lot of time for both they do have their irritations about them. Dame Laura bless her really is a state the bleeding obvious but do it as miserably as possible merchant. Ewan Murray has the ear soothing voice of Peter Alliss but without the comedy gold. I like Beem and Radar and Iona is settling into it after being quite irritating the first few times. Dougherty is full of enthusiasm while Rob Lee is a decent anchor but has aged about ten years in the last two. You never know whether Tim Barter is about to interview someone or deck them given his stern demeanour. We’d probably miss them all if they weren’t there but it’s getting a little stale. 
  • Options
    Love Radar. He is the new Alliss
  • Options
    McIlroy group had a 25 minute wait in the fifth tee. Three groups stacked up having a chat and a sandwich. Worse than Birchwood Park On a Saturday morning. I couldn’t cope. I’d be out of there. 
  • Options
    Eagle for Cam Smith at 14. Now 8 under for the day and 13 under overall. Could have a decent lead at the end of the day.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I think the rest might be covering their eyes and counting to ten……..
  • Options
    Even as a proud Scotsman, I think I’d be telling the bagpiper behind the 18th green where to stick his chanter!!!
  • Options
    Leaderboard is seriously talent heavy at the top, could play out to be an absolute classic.

Agree with the above though, play needs to speed up, big time.
  • Options
    The top players are now becoming frighteningly consistent every major it seems 
  • Options
    It’s not going to happen but a day of good old Scottish wind would sort them out!   Having said that all the “Old Course will be on its knees” merchants have been proved wrong. When Faldo and Woods won round here, the former more than 30 years ago, they were both 19 or 20 under par. The winning score this week will probably be in that ball park unless Smith goes completely nuts. Mind you some of the pin positions are mind-blowing. On 16 yesterday it was impossible to get closer than about 30 feet. Smith or McIlroy for me but Young is a dark horse. I don’t think we will see anyone from the lower reaches of the field today coming through. There are simply too many seasoned campaigners in the top eight for them all to bog up.  It’s gonna be a good watch. 
  • Options
    Fantastic day yesterday. I’ve never been the biggest Tiger fan but it was nevertheless very moving to see him come through the 17th then walk over the Swilcan Bridge. Rory was on the first fairway, as was reigning Open Champion Morikawa and Spieth was just approaching the 17th. Fitzpatrick in Tiger’s group too. So winners all round. One of the radio commentators described the atmosphere as eerie and it kind of was - no-one 100% sure it would be his last appearance but wanting to give him a rousing send off in case. We were incredibly fortunate to have bagged front row seats in the Road Hole stand so had an interrupted view. 

Later on we walked up alongside the 18th as Cam Smith was playing it and they briefly left the fans’ crossing open so we stood about 10 yards behind him until they chased us all off!

Back to following on the telly from here - hoping for a really exciting two days. Go Rory!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s not going to happen but a day of good old Scottish wind would sort them out!   Having said that all the “Old Course will be on its knees” merchants have been proved wrong. When Faldo and Woods won round here, the former more than 30 years ago, they were both 19 or 20 under par. The winning score this week will probably be in that ball park unless Smith goes completely nuts. Mind you some of the pin positions are mind-blowing. On 16 yesterday it was impossible to get closer than about 30 feet. Smith or McIlroy for me but Young is a dark horse. I don’t think we will see anyone from the lower reaches of the field today coming through. There are simply too many seasoned campaigners in the top eight for them all to bog up.  It’s gonna be a good watch. 
    Kisner!
  • Options
    Kisner!
    Yes but the rest will go out and go further ahead. No way in the world someone is winning from 13 behind at halfway on this course with this leaderboard. 
  • Options
    Argh, was sure I put my free bet on Cameron Smith - just went to check the odds and I changed my mind at last minute and did Louis Oost 
  • Options
    A nice profile of Sahith Theegala, he's staying in a uni dorm room this week and wasn't planning to move even though cut players are vacating hotels
    https://thefriedegg.com/sahith-theegala-dorm-room-st-andrews-open-championship/
  • Options
    Shane Lowry...take a bow,eagle on 9 with his wedge from distance,did it again on 10. Wow.
  • Options
    Lowry is a magician with a wedge 
  • Options
    I reckon -18 or better will be leading by the end of today.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    supaclive said:
    I reckon -18 or better will be leading by the end of today.
    Not a chance. 

-16 at best.

The pack will be between 12 &14 under

Lowry, Kisner & Pieters showed that you can easily stumble towards the end. Pieters got to 10 under before 3 bogeys on the trot done for him. 
  • Options
    Throughly enjoy today's play..ots in with a shout.