Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match day ticket prices for 2022/2023

Comments

• Options
    In the cost of living crisis, which is affecting businesses as well households, is there any need for the amount of papa John's type games through the season. Surely these are a loss maker for clubs involved, unless someone can tell me different. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Bailey said:
    In the cost of living crisis, which is affecting businesses as well households, is there any need for the amount of papa John's type games through the season. Surely these are a loss maker for clubs involved, unless someone can tell me different. 
    It’s all about keeping the Premier League quiet re B teams, although the prize money is attractively structured especially for the smallest clubs. Charlton would lose money on opening the stadium.
  • Options
    Announced as 17,046 but probably closer to 13,000 in reality.
    I thought he powers that be decided last season to publish the actual “bums on seats numbers”?  Guess they must have gone back to counting absentee ST holders and freebies issued as (I wasn’t there but I’ve seen the pictures) there didn’t look to be anywhere near 17k there yesterday. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I thought he powers that be decided last season to publish the actual “bums on seats numbers”?  Guess they must have gone back to counting absentee ST holders and freebies issued as (I wasn’t there but I’ve seen the pictures) there didn’t look to be anywhere near 17k there yesterday. 
    One of the sources of internal argument since the fixtures came out has been Thomas’s assertion that the Derby game would be sold out. He didn’t like being told by staff that it wouldn’t, so I guess they have gone for as much face-saving as they can. 

Home areas were just under half-full overall in practice, although about two thirds of the lower Covered End was packed. Not hard to guess why.
  • Options
    Seen a few people moaning about the price of a pint etc at the Valley this season, well i've just seen a photo on twitter that the cheapest pint at West ham this season is £7.30 and a 500ml bottle of coke is £4.50!
  • Options
    Hard to judge attendances in the summer, I have a ST and Plymouth is the only game I can make this month, tbh September is almost identical with 1 midweek game that I can attend. 
  • Options
    One of the sources of internal argument since the fixtures came out has been Thomas’s assertion that the Derby game would be sold out. He didn’t like being told by staff that it wouldn’t, so I guess they have gone for as much face-saving as they can. 

Home areas were just under half-full overall in practice, although about two thirds of the lower Covered End was packed. Not hard to guess why.
    Don’t think in the 8 years in league 1 we have ever got close to selling out a league game without discounted tickets (Play off being the exception). 

If we can get to 15k tickets sold in the home end for matches this season would be probably the maximum for us if we are doing well.

• Options
    edited August 2022

Don’t think in the 8 years in league 1 we have ever got close to selling out a league game without discounted tickets (Play off being the exception). 

If we can get to 15k tickets sold in the home end for matches this season would be probably the maximum for us if we are doing well.

That’s a lot of full-price sales, historically, from 8.5k season tickets.. I agree it’s a reasonable aspiration.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Bailey said:
    It’s all about keeping the Premier League quiet re B teams, although the prize money is attractively structured especially for the smallest clubs. Charlton would lose money on opening the stadium.
    Thanks Airman, never been a fan of these competitions. I can only compare this to a pub opening on a Tuesday for one customer, pubs have stopped doing this by all accounts. When  will people wake up, we are in an energy crisis which is fuelling a cost of living crisis. People on here better versed than me could tell me what the cost of a floodlit game is in comparison to yesterdays sunny afternoon, if the difference is that large why don't clubs move their Saturday games to a one thirty kick off and if you can't pull out of the papa johns/freightrover/Watneys/fullmembers play them midweek afternoon as well , I bet the attendance will be the same. On a wider scale, where possible, the country should move to a four day week, giving more time for leisure activities such as football and also cutting industry costs by a longer working day over the four. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was hoping to see my son and his family at The Valley yesterday, having returned from holiday in the week. Unfortunately, when he saw the match day prices he opted to watch the stream instead. 
  • Options
    SX_Addick said:
    Was hoping to see my son and his family at The Valley yesterday, having returned from holiday in the week. Unfortunately, when he saw the match day prices he opted to watch the stream instead. 
    As will many.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    MrOneLung said:
    Scrap the streaming for a start. 
    Disagree. It’s the new world we live in. Those who take that option  now for a very fair price will not go back to the ground when the difference in cost is so great. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Been done to death on here but I'll just say again.

Streaming is not going away. You will never put the genie back in the bottle for a new technology that people like and use. If you don't believe me, try and think of one piece of technology that people have started using and then has been subsequently stopped.

Indeed, it can only be a matter of time before PL clubs, in particular, start pushing to stream their Saturday 3.00pm games. 

The only question now is is how do clubs monetarise (sorry hate that word but can't think of anything more appropriate) streaming to its best advantage.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Are you talking of scrapping streaming of midweek away matches or streaming overseas
    Streaming.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Been done to death on here but I'll just say again.

Streaming is not going away. You will never put the genie back in the bottle for a new technology that people like and use. If you don't believe me, try and think of one piece of technology that people have started using and then has been subsequently stopped.

Everything by Amstrad
  • Options
    We didn’t bother renewing our season tickets this season. Usually sit in the Covered end upper, but chose to sit in the the covered end lower yesterday - Block A 6 rows from the front…massive mistake, thought I was going to melt and the moaning from people 5 mins in to the game was unbearable. Ended up moving to the NW quadrant 20 mins in. 
  • Options
    QPR tickets must be popular…

• Sponsored links:

• Options

75044 ahead of you - we could break the attendance record here.
  • Options

75044 ahead of you - we could break the attendance record here.
    The spreadsheet owner is probably on the phone to Tommy and telling him he isn’t charging enough for tickets, they are so cheap demand has gone through the roof 
  • Options
    Time for a rethink on prices full stop. Make it a flat £15 for example if you buy for 2 games at a time. 

Needs to be bold needs to be different.  People are struggling with costs and things like streaming and Covid mean  people are less committed to the Saturday routine that once took them to football by default. 

Get people back in the habit. That won’t happen with penalising the floating majority fan base. 

If anything you can make an argument for the price to drop if you wait until close to kick off and you are left with unsold seats. I’m not advocating that but making the point the reverse strategy is nonsensical 
    So you want to make ticket prices cheaper than most S/Ts?
    £625, £425 and £285 S/Ts.
    23 x £15 = £345.

So best seats 23 x£15 = £345 or get a S/T for £625.
    Average seats 23 x £15 = £345 or get a S/T for £425.

If you charge a flat £15, you may only get about 2,000 S/T sales.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Time for a rethink on prices full stop. Make it a flat £15 for example if you buy for 2 games at a time. 

Needs to be bold needs to be different.  People are struggling with costs and things like streaming and Covid mean  people are less committed to the Saturday routine that once took them to football by default. 

Get people back in the habit. That won’t happen with penalising the floating majority fan base. 

If anything you can make an argument for the price to drop if you wait until close to kick off and you are left with unsold seats. I’m not advocating that but making the point the reverse strategy is nonsensical 
    So you want to make ticket prices cheaper than most S/Ts?
    £625, £425 and £285 S/Ts.
    23 x £15 = £345.

So best seats 23 x£15 = £345 or get a S/T for £625.
    Average seats 23 x £15 = £345 or get a S/T for £425.

If you charge a flat £15, you may only get about 2,000 S/T sales.
    I agree. They have largely boxed themselves in and the most probable way out of it is going be cheap ticket promotions and giveaways. Otherwise we are likely to have some very small home crowds.

Scrapping the £3 increase and/or reducing the higher price bands by £4-£6 might help. There is enough headroom for £23/£25/£30 adults.

The highest price is easily avoidable but the £29 rising to £32 is a 26% (early purchase) increase for many blocks and that is going to bite the club on the arse.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Charge your premium around the Director’s box if you like, but we should be sticking to £20 elsewhere for adults. Encourage people, don’t take the piss. Especially with the cost of living elsewhere meaning that everyone is going to have to make hard decisions about where to spend their money and that’s only going to get harder as the season goes on,

Agree entirely. 

11,000 quiet rich fans at current prices or 27,000 raucous fans at £20 a shot.Filling the ground all season.  It's the noise (and playing well!!) that will get us up come May 2023 not banking £34 a ticket in a ground with the atmosphere of a local municipal reference library. 
  • Options
    Apologies to the passionate raucous fans that currently attend matches. All are brilliant! But we have the capability of filling this ground but requires someone with a grasp of the punitive cost of living realities to inform TS that this MUST be factored in to this season ticket pricing structure. It's in his interest to take a loss in gate revenue this season and fill the ground and get us up and when in the Championship to review this. 

As someone said earlier I can see many fans just watching the game online for a fiver with Charlton TV at this rate. 
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Charge your premium around the Director’s box if you like, but we should be sticking to £20 elsewhere for adults. Encourage people, don’t take the piss. Especially with the cost of living elsewhere meaning that everyone is going to have to make hard decisions about where to spend their money and that’s only going to get harder as the season goes on,

Agree entirely. 

11,000 quiet rich fans at current prices or 27,000 raucous fans at £20 a shot.Filling the ground all season.  It's the noise (and playing well!!) that will get us up come May 2023 not banking £34 a ticket in a ground with the atmosphere of a local municipal reference library. 
    We won’t have 11,000 home fans regularly at these prices and we wouldn’t get 27,000 at £20 in L1 much as I am sympathetic to the idea of £20. We don’t sell out at £5.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Agree entirely. 

We won’t have 11,000 home fans regularly at these prices and we wouldn’t get 27,000 at £20 in L1 much as I am sympathetic to the idea of £20. We don’t sell out at £5.
    That’s because £5 is too cheap. People will pay a fair price and come back, whether it’s football or anything else.  Cheap is usually associated with crap as much as overpriced is associated with rip off if they haven’t been convinced the product is neither of those. Prices it fairly, get fans coming along regularly first. Sell enough tickets and the rest will sell themselves 
  • Options
    Decent football and affordable tickets will bring crowds, neither if which we have atm.