Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Accrington Stanley vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 30th July @ 3pm | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Usually when it isn't serious you get a clearer communication from the club. Not saying it isn't but we will all still be a bit worried.
    Wheather it's serious or not it's only a matter of time before he picks up another injury as he's made of glass.

Since the capitulation at Ipswich last game of the season we have lost.
    Washington 
    Burstow 
    Davison. 
    We have had months to bring in another striker or two and as yet we have brought in no one. 
    The season starts tomorrow and Stockley is the only fit senior striker at the club.
    Frightening when you think of it.
    This post would be a lot more effective if you'd just listed Washington. The other two are no loss at all. 

We were also playing 2 up top, now we're not.

We need another striker before the window shuts or Stockley gets crocked, but it's hardly frightening. 
    If Stockley gets injured tomorrow we have no senior striker available. 
    Just a couple of kids untried at this level. 
    To me that's not good enough. 
    Everyone agrees we need a striker and if the window closes without us getting one, I'll be peeved. Don't see the point of being angry before then.

We had four youth players (Harness, Ghandour, Clayden & Elewere) on the bench for Sheffield Wednesday such was our lack of depth this time last season. It looks progressively worse the more seasons you go back. I still remember the midfield of Oztumer, Levitt and Vennings against Sunderland. (Now THAT wasn't good enough!) So it has got better year on year.
    How is it though that our opponents consistently seem to have stronger opening day of the season squads?

If ALL sides in L1 started the season short, then it would cancel each other out.

It was our decision to let Davison go before bringing anyone else in
    Or BG had seen enough of him last season to know he wasn’t good enough, so wasn’t bothered if we had him as back up or not.
  • Options
    Great to have the excellent previews back again @ForeverAddickted, thank you. As garner states, if we work harder than them, we should win this. Going for a 2-0 win, stockley and Kirk. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Usually when it isn't serious you get a clearer communication from the club. Not saying it isn't but we will all still be a bit worried.
    Wheather it's serious or not it's only a matter of time before he picks up another injury as he's made of glass.

Washington 
    Burstow 
    Davison. 
    We have had months to bring in another striker or two and as yet we have brought in no one. 
    The season starts tomorrow and Stockley is the only fit senior striker at the club.
    This post would be a lot more effective if you'd just listed Washington. The other two are no loss at all. 

We need another striker before the window shuts or Stockley gets crocked, but it's hardly frightening. 
    Everyone agrees we need a striker and if the window closes without us getting one, I'll be peeved. Don't see the point of being angry before then.

We had four youth players (Harness, Ghandour, Clayden & Elewere) on the bench for Sheffield Wednesday such was our lack of depth this time last season. It looks progressively worse the more seasons you go back. I still remember the midfield of Oztumer, Levitt and Vennings against Sunderland. (Now THAT wasn't good enough!) So it has got better year on year.
    How is it though that our opponents consistently seem to have stronger opening day of the season squads?

If ALL sides in L1 started the season short, then it would cancel each other out.

Seem to but if you go on each of their forums I’d be surprised if the consensus isn’t that more signings are required. Very few if any will be saying we don’t need to bring anymore in.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    Jonniesta said:

Washington 
    Burstow 
    Davison. 

Seem to but if you go on each of their forums I’d be surprised if the consensus isn’t that more signings are required. Very few if any will be saying we don’t need to bring anymore in.
    It's the difference between having a core of players ready, and just requiring some squad depth, as opposed to having key parts of the squad missing, which over the years we've been regularly guilty of, for one reason or another.

2018/19 was a great season, but without the slow start (5 points out of 15 in August) we might have got automatic promotion as we only finished 3 points behind Barnsley, who got 11 points in August.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    Jonniesta said:

Washington 
    Burstow 
    Davison. 

It's the difference between having a core of players ready, and just requiring some squad depth, as opposed to having key parts of the squad missing, which over the years we've been regularly guilty of, for one reason or another.

2018/19 was a great season, but without the slow start (5 points out of 15 in August) we might have got automatic promotion as we only finished 3 points behind Barnsley, who got 11 points in August.
    I don’t believe that, you’re saying there are football fans who don’t want new a first choice player or two because they’re happy they only need new signings to add depth.

In 18/19 we also replaced Grant with Parker, in a more normal situation Grant might still go but you’d get a striker who could score a few in his place. Parker couldn’t score once but we still nearly went up automatically.
  • Options
    Starting without Dobson is lunacy
    Sessegnon's gonna need someone dedicated to protecting him on his wrong side, which rules out Kirk
    Morgan's regular selection in pre-season suggests Garner is allowing him a fresh start
    So (if all are fit)

Wollacott
    Clare .. Lavelle .. O'Connell .. Sessegnon
       Morgan .. Dobson .. Fraser 
    Leaburn.. Stockley .. Blackett-Taylor 

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray .. Inniss .. Elerewe .. McGrandles  .. Clayden .. Payne .. Gilbey/Kirk

• Options
    edited July 2022
    'We go again'.
    Looking forward to the match. Hoping for a good team performance first, and then a win.
    1-2

UTA
  • Options

Wollacott

Clare, Innis, O’Connell, Sessegnon 

Dobson

McGrandles, Fraser 

CBT, Stockley, Kirk 

Subs: McGillivray, Lavelle, Clayden, Morgan, Payne, Jaiyesimi, Leaburn

Innis gets the nod just about over Lavelle, height needed in this one.

Dobson plays, dunno where that debate came from, he was always gonna.

He said McGrandles and Payne are in the squad despite shorter pre seasons, I think both as sub is pointless, therefore one starts, more likely to be McGrandles in this game.  I think despite his glowing pre season Morgan starts from the bench.

Leaburn may of got the nod but now he’s gotta play Tuesday due to lack of forwards available so he’ll be on the bench.

Outside chance Jaiyesimi starts over Kirk but I think he will just give Kirk the nod.

That means JFC and Gilbey not even in the 18, we know one will likely be moved on, this will only fuel that further.

Convinced this finishes no other score apart from 1-1.

• Options

Wollacott

Dobson

McGrandles, Fraser 

CBT, Stockley, Kirk 

He said McGrandles and Payne are in the squad despite shorter pre seasons, I think both as sub is pointless, therefore one starts, more likely to be McGrandles in this game.  I think despite his glowing pre season Morgan starts from the bench.

Leaburn may of got the nod but now he’s gotta play Tuesday due to lack of forwards available so he’ll be on the bench.

Outside chance Jaiyesimi starts over Kirk but I think he will just give Kirk the nod.

That means JFC and Gilbey not even in the 18, we know one will likely be moved on, this will only fuel that further.

Who are we playing this Tuesday? 
  • Options
    Did I miss an Aneke injury announcement?
    I mean I’m shocked of course, but how long’s he out for this time?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fumbluff said:
    "Up to 2 weeks" according to Kelly Youga BG
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Not sure how long he's out for but he's not in the squad tomorrow.

Payne and McGrandles will be but doesn't look like they'll start. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Wollacott

Dobson

McGrandles, Fraser 

CBT, Stockley, Kirk 

Who are we playing this Tuesday? 
    My bad thought it was efl cup but just checked it’s the following week.  Leaburn could nick a start then.
  • Options

Wollacott

Dobson

McGrandles, Fraser 

CBT, Stockley, Kirk 

Morgan and Leaburn will start IMO. 

In the Cawley article it specifically said JFC hadn't been transfer listed and was no guarantee he would leave. 

The six outfield subs will probably be Lavelle, Payne, DJ or Kirk and any 3 of the others. 
  • Options
    In Lancaster just warming up for tomorrow.. ..anyone driving up tomorrow had a few hold ups on m6 coming up.
  • Options

Have a great time mate.
    See you soon  🍺🍺
  • Options

Have a great time mate.
    See you soon  🍺🍺
    Cheers mate petrol 1.74 here too...1.94 in my village.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    Why can't we move forwards to a point where top six is not a stretching target? Seeing as this League is not sustainable for us and the longer we stay here the smaller we become. That is my feeling at the moment and my comments are tinged with frustration and anger.
    We can. What would be really sad is if we get on the team and the managers back, as the absolute worst thing could happen is that we abandon what we are trying to achieve and change direction again. So much work is being done all down the age groups, but there is so much more that needs to be done. I guess much depends on the degree to which you believe that the style and direction is the right one. I feel relieved that we have at last got a plan and one I passionately believe is the right one. I can forgive quite a lot if we are at least trying to play decent football.
    It maybe next season before we are serious contenders for promotion, but the style of play and squad should be basically Championship ready.
    Unless garner reads the forums he should be okay - most that go to games now are down to the truly committed and will understand / give it a bit of patience - it’s all the ‘ I want ‘merchants that won’t be there 
    So who booed the team off after the 3rd game of the season last season? 
    That’s the 25% who have packed it in this year 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    "Up to 2 weeks" according to Kelly Youga BG
    2 weeks and then the ‘we’ll have to manage his minutes’ chestnut - 2 strikers incoming needed asap no question about it 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As soon as the fixtures came out this was one to dread. 1 scraped win in 6 against a horrible team to watch and a long journey as well. If someone told me after Ipswich away that we would start the season with just Stockley (made captain, sigh!!) up front I would have been so disappointed. 
    I can see us playing it round the back four and they will press for errors which no doubt will come. Garner's methods I totally agree with but you need the players to do it and only time will tell. 2-0 to Accrington and another bad start looks imminent with our starting fixtures.
  • Options
    I've absolutely no idea what to expect tomorrow. Gonna be interesting.
  • Options
    In Lancaster just warming up for tomorrow.. ..anyone driving up tomorrow had a few hold ups on m6 coming up.
    Now there's a surprise.

• Options
    Nice press conference. Garner come across to me like a calm calculating character that knows his stuff. Says all the right things and I doubt the players will assume the are guaranteed a game whoever they are. I really hope we put in a good performance tomorrow regardless of result. We all know Accrington is a tough 1st game to try and play football and I would hate for the knives to come out after the 1st game
  • Options
    No idea how tomorrow will go. I'm hoping the players we've signed can make a difference compared to last seasons shitshow. Accrington seem to have the beating of us in recent years so it's a good test to see where we're at
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    What will be interesting is Accrington will try to stop us playing and will they manage it? How easy or hard will it be for them? I will also be looking at the second ball as I think this has been a week area for us for a while.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Why are all of you talking about Accrington like they're a team of Robocop and not a lower-half League One side who play direct? 
    Because last season they weren't a lower half league one side?
    I'm not talking about last season
    They're currently top this season 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/table
    And we're only 7th.

Does that mean we're destined to miss the playoffs yet again? Garner OUT!

• Options
    AndyG said:
    Nice press conference. Garner come across to me like a calm calculating character that knows his stuff. Says all the right things and I doubt the players will assume the are guaranteed a game whoever they are. I really hope we put in a good performance tomorrow regardless of result. We all know Accrington is a tough 1st game to try and play football and I would hate for the knives to come out after the 1st game
    I remember Russell Slade being all happy and calm before the season started. Give it 3 months and he'll be moaning about refs and individual mistakes which "are killing us" 😉
  • Options
    To get a result tomorrow I think we will need to score atleast 2 goals as i cant see us not letting a silly goal in from playing it out from the back, the players will need a bit of time to get it right
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!