Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Accrington Stanley vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 30th July @ 3pm | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    If we start badly people will get on his back irrespective of forums. If we start well, they will get behind him. If he was a Charlton legend like Jacko he would get more wriggle room and time but it has nothing to do with forums. I wouldn't give us that much credit or power. Paying to watch your team lose at a level they should not be playing at usually does the trick.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Still nothing on Aneke? 
    RC tweeted yesterday that it’s nothing serious so hopefully back this weekend or very soon after.
  • Options
    Usually when it isn't serious you get a clearer communication from the club. Not saying it isn't but we will all still be a bit worried.
  • Options
    Usually when it isn't serious you get a clearer communication from the club. Not saying it isn't but we will all still be a bit worried.
    Wheather it's serious or not it's only a matter of time before he picks up another injury as he's made of glass.

Since the capitulation at Ipswich last game of the season we have lost.
    Washington 
    Burstow 
    Davison. 
    We have had months to bring in another striker or two and as yet we have brought in no one. 
    The season starts tomorrow and Stockley is the only fit senior striker at the club.
    Frightening when you think of it.
  • Options
    Half of me is looking forward to the season and the other is concerned with the glaring holes in our team/squad. The latter does not combine well with our ability to pick up injuries in training and games at will.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Welcome back @ForeverAddickted and well done on continuing with these, I am certain it'll be far easier than last season.

Starting eleven for the first game is always tough but when we played two friendlies last week, when we have a new manager, new players, and a depth of midfield that I don't think I have seen before, it makes it even more difficult.

I think we could maybe see a midfield 3 who were here last season, only because McGrandles and Payne have played only 45 minutes and although McGrandles looked good and is naturally fit, a game this weekend may come a little too soon. You have to also reward those who have done well in pre-season.

Hopefully Aneke injury is okay and we sign one or two soon making us even stronger. I don't think this is going to be Garner's strongest team but it's early.

3 debuts, 6 by the end of the game.

Wollacott
    Clare - Inniss - O'Connell - Sessegnon
    Gilbey - Dobson - Fraser
    Blackett-Taylor - Stockley - Kirk

MacGillivray, Lavelle, Morgan, McGrandles, Payne, Jaiyesimi, Leaburn

Accrington Stanley 1-2 Charlton Athletic
    We normally have enough players. We are not Sunday League (yet).
  • Options
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    Sounds wrong but I'd prefer beating Accrington Stanley by a narrow margin instead of potentially thrashing them 0-5...which is an unlikely result anyway.

I don't want us getting overconfident and don't want other clubs to prepare themselves in a more organised way when we play them.

Win games but don't peak too early.

The league table will not end how it starts!

Just stay unbeaten 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    And so it begins...
  • Options
    "Nothing major" but he likely be out for 2 weeks. That's the first 3 games.  :/
  • Options
    Anybody know when Egbo is going to be available for selection ? 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Glad to hear Ben Garner mention Tempo and speed because slow possession may be good game management when you are trying to take the sting out of the opposition when leading with 20 minutes to go but is frustrating if over passing before giving the ball away when losing.

The amount of stoppages with the potential 10 subs will take every game to a potential 95 mins even without injuries. The full press is for a team of Athletes, do we have 16 players who do this for 95+ minutes?

The catch 22  is Quality balls into the box on the ground for Fraser, Payne etc but if we don't put quality balls in the air into the box as well how are we playing to the strengths of Jayden and Chuks ? Or the giant Miles Leaburn ?

If we don't mix and match, we won't win enough matches especially at home where the space will be limited in and around the box.

Caveat time:
    Quality diagonal long passes aren't hoof ball; Straight thumps upfield which fly over the heads of Stockley, Aneke and Leaburn are. Crosses in the air to good header of the ball are still valid from an advanced position on either flank.

The two or 3 players, with two probably being loans are paramount to us being in contention.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Still nothing on Aneke? 

Keeping it quiet so Accrington can't come up with a game plan. 

Maybe we are keeping it quiet and he will feature tomorrow. More likely he is out for a few months though 
  • Options
    MattF said:

FFS Rich!! Why'd you go and tell em that for!!!! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wheather it's serious or not it's only a matter of time before he picks up another injury as he's made of glass.

Washington 
    Burstow 
    Davison. 
    We have had months to bring in another striker or two and as yet we have brought in no one. 
    The season starts tomorrow and Stockley is the only fit senior striker at the club.
    This post would be a lot more effective if you'd just listed Washington. The other two are no loss at all. 

We were also playing 2 up top, now we're not.

We need another striker before the window shuts or Stockley gets crocked, but it's hardly frightening. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Interesting - we're wearing the 3rd kit tomorrow.  

In other news - I'm v v v nervous, and that's putting it lightly.
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:

Washington 
    Burstow 
    Davison. 
    This post would be a lot more effective if you'd just listed Washington. The other two are no loss at all. 

We need another striker before the window shuts or Stockley gets crocked, but it's hardly frightening. 
    If Stockley gets injured tomorrow we have no senior striker available. 
    Just a couple of kids untried at this level. 
    To me that's not good enough. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Jonniesta said:

Washington 
    Burstow 
    Davison. 

Everyone agrees we need a striker and if the window closes without us getting one, I'll be peeved. Don't see the point of being angry before then.

We had four youth players (Harness, Ghandour, Clayden & Elewere) on the bench for Sheffield Wednesday such was our lack of depth this time last season. It looks progressively worse the more seasons you go back. I still remember the midfield of Oztumer, Levitt and Vennings against Sunderland. (Now THAT wasn't good enough!) So it has got better year on year.
  • Options
    Its gonna be a win win game 1:1
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    Why can't we move forwards to a point where top six is not a stretching target? Seeing as this League is not sustainable for us and the longer we stay here the smaller we become. That is my feeling at the moment and my comments are tinged with frustration and anger.
    We can. What would be really sad is if we get on the team and the managers back, as the absolute worst thing could happen is that we abandon what we are trying to achieve and change direction again. So much work is being done all down the age groups, but there is so much more that needs to be done. I guess much depends on the degree to which you believe that the style and direction is the right one. I feel relieved that we have at last got a plan and one I passionately believe is the right one. I can forgive quite a lot if we are at least trying to play decent football.
    It maybe next season before we are serious contenders for promotion, but the style of play and squad should be basically Championship ready.
    Unless garner reads the forums he should be okay - most that go to games now are down to the truly committed and will understand / give it a bit of patience - it’s all the ‘ I want ‘merchants that won’t be there 
    So who booed the team off after the 3rd game of the season last season? 
  • Options
    JFC was effectively out for the season and it was embargoed until an hour before kick off on the first day. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Jonniesta said:

Washington 
    Burstow 
    Davison. 

Everyone agrees we need a striker and if the window closes without us getting one, I'll be peeved. Don't see the point of being angry before then.

We had four youth players (Harness, Ghandour, Clayden & Elewere) on the bench for Sheffield Wednesday such was our lack of depth this time last season. It looks progressively worse the more seasons you go back. I still remember the midfield of Oztumer, Levitt and Vennings against Sunderland. (Now THAT wasn't good enough!) So it has got better year on year.
    How is it though that our opponents consistently seem to have stronger opening day of the season squads?

If ALL sides in L1 started the season short, then it would cancel each other out.

It was our decision to let Davison go before bringing anyone else in
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Jonniesta said:

Washington 
    Burstow 
    Davison. 

How is it though that our opponents consistently seem to have stronger opening day of the season squads?

If ALL sides in L1 started the season short, then it would cancel each other out.

It was our decision to let Davison go before bringing anyone else in
    Appears as though it allowed us to bring Payne in, before he got fed up and went elsewhere though.

As he was getting a lot of League One interest.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!