Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Accrington Stanley vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 30th July @ 3pm | Match Preview

Accrington Stanley vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 30th July 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Ben Speedie

Introduction
Well we all ready to go again? - Once again it seems like only yesterday that we were watching a lacklustre performance against Ipswich, it was a full season review wrapped up in ninety minutes of pure agony, and its a sad reflection when there was a collective sigh of relief from those still showing any remote interest, when said game ended. There has been complete change in SE7 over the summer, new players... new Manager... But the levels of optimism over a potentially successful season remain muted.

Last season showed the importance of a strong start, as we open our campaign in the North West at Accrington.

The Opposition
Name: Accrington Stanley | Manager: John Coleman
Ground: Crown Ground

"A very dirty side for a friendly, could have conceded six, and won thanks to defensive errors"

Were the words used by a Sunderland fan to describe their final friendly against what appears to be a typical Accrington Stanley side under the stewardship of John Coleman - Of course there is nothing wrong with that, after all League One is being filled with more and more ex-Premier League sides. There are naturally the smaller teams like Stanley, but when you compare their minuscule budgets, it would be almost ludicrous for our opponents to try and compete in the same fashion.

Accrington for example are heading into their fourth campaign at this level, and have yet to end up in anything but a bland mid-table finish, so they must be doing something right - Their plans wont have been helped having lost Colbey Bishop to Portsmouth in recent weeks (their top scorer last term with 12-goals). Instead goals will have to come from new signing; Alhagi Touray Sisay from Haverfordwest County, unsurprisingly picked from outside the EFL.

Charlton Team News
Hehe... This is where the fun begins.

New Manager = New approach, new opportunities for players left out in the cold - Our last two friendlies against Welling and Swansea respectfully have left fans pondering at the potentials for a starting line-up this Saturday - The likes of Charlie Kirk and Albie Morgan look to come into this season with a point to prove, whilst new signings: Conor McGrandles and Jack Payne clearly havent joined Charlton to sit on the bench each week.

Wollacott
Clare .. Inniss .. O'Connell .. Sessegnon
Fraser .. Morgan .. Payne
Blackett-Taylor .. Stockley .. Kirk

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray .. Lavelle .. Elerewe .. McGrandles .. Dobson .. Gilbey .. Leaburn

Prediction
As said when talking about Accrington... We shouldn't be surprised by the Accrington game plan.

They'll no doubt be watching our own defensive errors against Swansea last Saturday, and whilst goals weren't scored from those missed passes, they'll certainly try to repeat them - This is perhaps the worst week to see any form of Garner-Ball (Urgh!!)... There will no doubt be cries of "forward" from the stands, and no doubt cries of "Feck awff" from the bench in response, as two sides battle out a hard earned draw on the opening day

Away Guide | Ticket Thread

Comments

• Options
    Great preview as yours always are. Many thanks, and thanks in anticipation of more to come.
    In your predicted team I would have JFC starting instead of Kirk and Dobson instead of Fraser.
  • Options
    be a good test as always against Dirty Stanley .. always physical but don't underestimate the skill and consistency of the Accy outfit .. we will have a very different starting Xl from the end of last season .. midfield ? .. pool any 3 or 4 from 8 .. we still lack strength up front but the defence and keeper look much stronger

About time we won at the Wham .. Accrington Stanley 1 v CAFC 3
  • Options
    Won’t be easy because it never is. Expect us to hold our own though and barring any defensive disasters I’m expecting to win this 0 - 1 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    If we don't get drawn in to trying to compete with them physically I think we have a good chance. Think this could be a game for mcgrandles with Fraser. Payne to come off the bench second half and score. 1-3 COYR
  • Options
    One thing has improved before we've even kicked a ball this season ....... whatever the starting lineup, we'll have a strong bench.
    That's vital with the 5 subs available to come during a game.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Yes preview time! The season has officially started

Oddly, after looking at the how many points thread, feel there's a higher level of optimistic hope and expectations than muted!

Wollacott
    Clare  Inniss O'Connell  Sessegnon
            Morgan Dobson Fraser
               CBT  Stockley .. Kirk

McGillivray, Lavelle, Elerewe, Gilberto, Payne, DJ, Leaburn 

It's Accrington, away, we know what it'll be like...playing a passing game doesn't instantly make us barcerealaxity, these first few games are going to be a continuación of pre season while we still adapt and perfect how we want to play. Stockley has spent more time dropping deep to receive the ball than in the box, the current wide players and midfield still has serious goal scoring question marks dangling over their heads. Accrington will happily boot Kirk and Morgan around before launching the ball 25 yards up pitch and ohbloodyhellonenil 🤦🏻‍♂️

1-0 Accrington Stanley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With a new system we needed at least one more game against a League side to bed it in.
    We will have a better away record this season but won't win enough at home similar to Swindon last season.

With not enough to go on with Accrington Stanley other than they enjoy to leave a bit on the man if not the ball I will go for a draw.

• Options
    With 3 out of the first 4 games looking quite tough I think we really need a win here. I’m predicting a 1-1 draw 
  • Options
    IMO this is the one of the toughest draws we could've got on the first day of the Garnerball revolution - frankly I'd be happy with a draw as long as we score. 

My dad umm'd and ahh'd about going after he swore he'd never go to another game following the Accrington away game towards the end of last season... lo and behold he's got a ticket so hope we at least have a decent performance so that he's not absolutely miserable all the way home.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Great preview. Thanks.  The team is anyones’ guess. Preseason would suggest Albie and Kirk will start. Hard to see a midfield without Dobson in it, especially with Accrington the oppo. Will Payne be too lightweight for this sort of game?  We still have no genuine left sided defender/wing back. Stockley will be in his element in the rough and tumble but will he fit when we get to play proper footy?  So many questions. Onwards and whatever. 
  • Options
    OMG are we there already! Great preview.
    I notice you left DJ out of your 18. (No criticism implied)
    I don't think Payne and McGrandles will be considered ready to start, but it really is all guess work how we will line up, particularly with regard to the opposition this week.
    Wouldn't like to predict this. It's a blank canvass, let's see what happens.
    My son will be there with fiance, sadly I won't.
  • Options
    We know Accrington will be high energy, physical and will press us well. However if we can keep possession and be patient I think there will be opportunities particularly in the second half.

With Accrington's style I wouldn't be shocked to see Dobson and McGrandles start in the middle instead of Morgan and Payne if we want a bit more 'grit'.

• Options
    The wing forwards will probably be doing the most running in the game, and are probably likeliest to need substituting, so not putting any on the bench except arguably Leaburn who is Stockley's cover anyway is frankly insane, and that's before you consider whether DJ deserves to after a fairly effective pre-season, or the fact he's simply a better player than Kirk ;) 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    The wing forwards will probably be doing the most running in the game, and are probably likeliest to need substituting, so not putting any on the bench except arguably Leaburn who is Stockley's cover anyway is frankly insane, and that's before you consider whether DJ deserves to after a fairly effective pre-season, or the fact he's simply a better player than Kirk ;) 
    At least you didnt notice I'd put Gilbey on the bench then!! ;)
  • Options
    For me:

Wollacott
    Clare .. Inniss .. O'Connell .. Sessegnon
    Fraser .. Morgan .. McGrandles
    Blackett-Taylor .. Stockley .. DJ

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray .. Lavelle .. Dobson .. Gilbey .. Payne .. Kirk .. Leaburn

What's that, I hear you cry? Gilbey on the bench? Well, he did do rather well in his last game despite not looking like he could trap a bag of cement. JFC is a far better player, sure, and can cover left-back, but let's back Sessegnon to last the 90, he's young and sturdy. We can reconsider afterwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I say this annually, but the season doesn’t start for Charlton until @ForeverAddickted does the preview, great to see it again.

Only bug with the line up is I would start Dobson over Payne for now, because it’s going to be a gritty one.  

We draw this but in a positive manner, 1-1 Morgan.
  • Options
    After pre-season, I've no idea what the team will be. Yes it's about getting players fit and sharp, but also it should be about getting your team and tactics honed, and splitting the squad last weekend has slightly confused things.

I think CBT will start, but on the left or right? Are Payne and McGrandles fit to start? Have JFC or Gilbey played their way into the starting 11? Can Sessegnon play the full 90, and do we need Clayden on the bench to provide a left footed option, in a team full of right footed wide players?
  • Options
    Here we go again.
  • Options
    Great preview. Thanks.  The team is anyones’ guess. Preseason would suggest Albie and Kirk will start. Hard to see a midfield without Dobson in it, especially with Accrington the oppo. Will Payne be too lightweight for this sort of game?  We still have no genuine left sided defender/wing back. Stockley will be in his element in the rough and tumble but will he fit when we get to play proper footy?  So many questions. Onwards and whatever. 
    I’d say Payne put it about quite well the other day, small doesn’t always mean lightweight, he wouldn’t be a pro footballer if he could compete.
  • Options
    2-0 to Stanley.
  • Options
    I don’t think Payne looked completely match fit just yet so my guess is he will be on the bench.  I think mcgrandles and Fraser will start.  It will be interesting to see if Dobson or Albie starts in the holding role. Hopefully Dobson.  Stockley and CBT are automatic starters.  Not clear to me who will start on the other wing.  Any of Kirk, DJ or Leaburn wouldn’t surprise me
  • Options
    Good opening day test.  They were so much better than us in both games last season and no disrespect to them, shows how far we have fallen.  

I said defeat on the ‘how many pts in August thread’ but I think it will be a draw.  Providing we don’t do anything silly when playing it out from the back because we still might not be use to it, then I expect a cagey affair and neither team being able to break one another down.  

They’re a solid side and as a club are progressing, comparatively speaking.  They’ll be up for it, I just hope Garner has our lot up for it as well 
  • Options
    Great to be having match previews again. It adds to the anticipation and excitement for the season ahead of us.

Who knows what Garner's thinking is in terms of team selection, but you are probably not far off with the predicted line up. However, I do think we will need Dobson for this one, for his tackling abilities.

I think this is going to be a very tough opening game and I think we will be bullied out of it by a physically strong Stanley. Will skill win out over physical strength? I don't think it will, and predict a 2-0 defeat.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    My optimism is being severely tested  at the prospect of seeing Albie Morgan being a starter in the first game of the season, I hope the people crowbarring him in the team in they’re predictions are completely wrong. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!