Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Accrington Stanley vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 30th July @ 3pm | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Against a hoofball team like Accrington, it might even be worth starting Leaburn on the wing for the added height advantage and physicality.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    My optimism is being severely tested  at the prospect of seeing Albie Morgan being a starter in the first game of a the season, I hope the people crowbarring him in the team in they’re predictions are completely wrong. 

#charltonspirlo
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    My optimism is being severely tested  at the prospect of seeing Albie Morgan being a starter in the first game of a the season, I hope the people crowbarring him in the team in they’re predictions are completely wrong. 
    It seems mental to me to have a midfielder whose weaknesses are defensive positioning and lack of tracking back to start as your holding midfielder.  That being said he did look good in that role for the first half last weekend against good opposition.  It wasn’t until he was moved further up the pitch that his play declined.  It makes me wonder if garner is seeing something we arent or whether it is just another Albie false dawn.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    It seems mental to me to have a midfielder whose weaknesses are defensive positioning and lack of tracking back to start as your holding midfielder.  That being said he did look good in that role for the first half last weekend against good opposition.  It wasn’t until he was moved further up the pitch that his play declined.  It makes me wonder if garner is seeing something we arent or whether it is just another Albie false dawn.
    I will be accused of always putting the boot in, but he hasn’t done anything to prove otherwise. I stand by my past however many seasons comments, we will not get promoted if Albie is a starter for us, unless the rest of the team can carry him.
  • Options
    swap Morgan for Dobson and that would be my team

scrappy 0-1 win - Stockley off the mark
  • Options
    We have nice CM options and each player enjoys working hard.
  • Options
    1-2 but won’t be fun to watch 
  • Options
    we go again.
    Fixed for you.
  • Options
    we go again.
    Fixed for you.
    That infers that we are going somewhere...

Accrington I suppose.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    1-2 but won’t be fun to watch 
    If that is the result I reckon it would be a great watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-1, Stockley to get that debate going again and we concede from a set piece which will be highlighted by many as a concern.
  • Options
    1-1 Stockley

Wollacott
    Clare  Inniss O'Connell  Sessegnon
     McGrandles Dobson Fraser
      CBT  Stockley  Captain Kirk

McGillivray, Lavelle, Morgan, NEW WINGER, Payne, Gilbey, JFC
  • Options
    We have a good 25 mins at the start. Then when they see we cannot score. They press high and we make two errors at the back and they win 2-0.
  • Options
    Can see it being a scrappy draw with us looking good initially but then trailing off as the game goes on. 

People on here will demand everyone's head and call for the end of the season early. 
  • Options
    The team that started last Saturday will start this one.  If McGrandles can last an hour.  Stockley will be captain.  Dobson might not make the bench. 

I wouldn't do any of those things but it's Garner's call and he has to do what he thinks is right.  I'll still be here in 6 months, 12 months or 5 years if I am wrong.  He won't be.

The 11 we sent out on the 1st day last season was the most predictable 1st day team we have ever had. It's exciting isn't it. 
  • Options
    Great to be having match previews again. It adds to the anticipation and excitement for the season ahead of us.

Who knows what Garner's thinking is in terms of team selection, but you are probably not far off with the predicted line up. However, I do think we will need Dobson for this one, for his tackling abilities.

I think this is going to be a very tough opening game and I think we will be bullied out of it by a physically strong Stanley. Will skill win out over physical strength? I don't think it will, and predict a 2-0 defeat.
    Make you right tomahawk, I envisage Kirk & CBT being kicked out of the game, not difficult in Kirk’s case.
    Playing Dobson & McGrandles would help but I’m not expecting it.
    2 - 1 defeat, but something to build on.
  • Options
    Great to be having match previews again. It adds to the anticipation and excitement for the season ahead of us.

Who knows what Garner's thinking is in terms of team selection, but you are probably not far off with the predicted line up. However, I do think we will need Dobson for this one, for his tackling abilities.

I think this is going to be a very tough opening game and I think we will be bullied out of it by a physically strong Stanley. Will skill win out over physical strength? I don't think it will, and predict a 2-0 defeat.
    Make you right tomahawk, I envisage Kirk & CBT being kicked out of the game, not difficult in Kirk’s case.
    Playing Dobson & McGrandles would help but I’m not expecting it.
    2 - 1 defeat, but something to build on.
    I’d rather we built on from a win if that’s ok?🤣
  • Options
    Dobson for Albie
    Jaya for CBT
    maybe Gilbey for Payne to start but will change once Payne settled? 

I have a positive feeling , we will kick off with a tough fought win 1-2 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A couple of days ago someone posted highlights of Accy's friendly with Sunderland last weekend.

Accy are not very good - Sunderland cut through them time and time again, created a shed load of chances with only a 1-0 lead to show for it.
    They could and should have been 5-0 up.

What Accy are good at is resiliance and digging in. They didn't quit. They pressed and hustled the Sunderland defence into mistakes and were gifted 2 late goals to win.

That's the writing on wall if we don't take our chances and faff around on the edge of our own box.

• Options
    From what i've seen from Morgan over the past few years i wouldn't have him anywhere near the starting 11 in a game like this, unless Garner has seen some insane change in the last 6 weeks.

They'll be fit and on us in a flash, so im expecting a scrappy 1-1.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    A couple of days ago someone posted highlights of Accy's friendly with Sunderland last weekend.

Accy are not very good - Sunderland cut through them time and time again, created a shed load of chances with only a 1-0 lead to show for it.

What Accy are good at is resiliance and digging in. They didn't quit. They pressed and hustled the Sunderland defence into mistakes and were gifted 2 late goals to win.

That's the writing on wall if we don't take our chances and faff around on the edge of our own box.

I think you have probably just written the script for Saturday's game!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    The Accy Goalkeeper was mainly the reason for it staying 1-0... weren't many Sunderland chances that went wide etc.
  • Options
    The Harry Pell Show 
  • Options
    3-1 Charlton. Stockley, Lavelle and CBT

Im feeling pretty positive about this game and season. 

Either way, I am looking forward to going to watch Charlton again!
  • Options
    thanks FA
    1-1
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    The Harry Pell Show 
    Oh yeah....forgot about that prick...
  • Options
    Excellent preview as usual FA. 
    Many thanks for doing this again. 

Concidering how the opposition are likely to play I would definitely start with Dobson and McGrandles.
    This is not the game to try and play pretty football we will have to match them physically in midfield to get anything from this game. 

Head says Accrington 
    Heart says Charlton. 

In all honesty I haven't got a clue.
  • Options
    I imagine that Dobbo will play and I'd also like to see McGrandles in the starting line up if he's sufficiently fit. We can't afford to have too many lightweight players in this sort of game or we'll be bullied out of it. Our record against Accy in the last two seasons is lamentable - one undeserved point in four games - and it will be important to stifle Sean McConville, who topped the League 1 assist table last season with 17 to his name. 

Whilst I understand the desire to play out from the back, you do need defenders who can thread passes through with the right weight and accuracy, together with midfielders who can receive the ball on the half turn. I'm not saying we can't develop and improve our game in this respect but a degree of pragmatism will also be required, as this tough and combative outfit and their crafty manager will be licking their lips at the prospect of dispossessing us in dangerous positions near our goal.

I'm concerned about Stockley finding himself outnumbered and isolated up top and, in the absence of Aneke, I'd certainly have Leaburn on the bench given the absence of another experienced striker.

A tough afternoon in prospect - just as it will be for everyone else in this division - and I'd be happy to take a point back to SE7.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!