Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

TS in The Sun today

Comments

• Options
    I don't wish him to be more realistic in his ambitions. It is good to reach for the stars, but maybe he needs to be open to the idea that his rocket ship may not be pointing in the right direction. As it wasn't last season. I hope he gives Garner total freedom and I equally hope Garner is special and up to that freedom. Some managers are and some are not. If not, he will have to find somebody who is, but when he does, he needs to let them achieve in their own way. That is my biggest criticism of him really.
  • Options
    I don't wish him to be more realistic in his ambitions. It is good to reach for the stars, but maybe he needs to be open to the idea that his rocket ship may not be pointing in the right direction. As it wasn't last season. I hope he gives Garner total freedom and I equally hope Garner is special and up to that freedom. Some managers are and some are not. If not, he will have to find somebody who is, but when he does, he needs to let them achieve in their own way. That is my biggest criticism of him really.
    I think u r reading more into it than there is - I couldn’t find the decades reference but was hungover so.. anyway, it has been badly run for nearly 2 decades - ever since curbs left - the decade and a half leading up to that was probably the best it’s ever been run but that isn’t as relevant to where we are now 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Depends what you mean by success. Getting promotion out of L1 is a pretty low bar for Charlton, achieved under some of the worst owners we’ve had. I’d settle for it right now. If you define it as reaching the PL then objectively that is an achievement, but trebling revenue in L1 is impossible so he is setting himself up for failure by claiming it isn’t. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I think u r reading more into it than there is - I couldn’t find the decades reference but was hungover so.. anyway, it has been badly run for nearly 2 decades - ever since curbs left - the decade and a half leading up to that was probably the best it’s ever been run but that isn’t as relevant to where we are now 
    Sorry that was meant in response to airman’s post quoting mine - must put my glasses on 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Liverpool we’re arguably badly run in comparison to the 70’s and 80’s until klopp came along although in reality their facilities were miles behind other big clubs but they had great managers and great teams / let’s hope we have struck gold with garner 
  • Options
    The age he's spent promising is over. The time for delivery has come!
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    paulfox said:
    Despite all the apparent shit things TS is doing, I am at the point where I’ve never wanted someone to succeed more, the bloke is a trier and not a bad person as I see it, a bit nuts but that’s fine. The egg on faces will of biblical proportions on here. Will the people that said ‘ I’d like to be proved wrong but!!’….. really like to be proved wrong?. Not sure. Hope the effort in putting the man down is matched with the support of the team on the pitch, if so I think we could have a good season.
    Yes. 100%. When we get promoted I will come on here and say, ‘Paul, you were right all along’. That’s a promise. 
    Of all the nonsense that gets spouted on this forum the one thing I absolutely cannot tolerate is, ‘Some people want us to fail’. It’s just ridiculous. 
    It wouldn’t be about me being right or wrong, my point is I think he gets more flack as a person than is probably deserved, I have never said one way or the other if he is a good owner or not, that is still ultimately to be proven either way. But there is an element that have decided he isn’t what they want, which is fine and I can accept that, but that element need to also be willing to accept they don’t speak for everyone. Success will make us all happy as fans, for some it would be slightly begrudgingly on the face of it, which I think is a bit sad, remembering the togetherness and outright joy on peoples faces at Wembley last time, despite our owner at the time was something I’ll remember the rest of my life. This is why I find some of the bitching goes a little far on here. We may disagree on a lot UBOAT, and it’s apparent you don’t value anything I say, that’s fine. I just find it a little odd on a forum that brings us together, also creates such vociferous argument at times, especially when people don’t even know each other properly.  
  • Options
    @Henry Irving mentioned that we didn't get the Academy Cat 1 status this summer that TS had planned, the last application unsuccessful. I know it's hard to get, but does anyone know on what grounds it actually failed. I'm sure the Club would have been notified why, but I've not seen that reported or leaked anywhere.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Despite all the apparent shit things TS is doing, I am at the point where I’ve never wanted someone to succeed more, the bloke is a trier and not a bad person as I see it, a bit nuts but that’s fine. The egg on faces will of biblical proportions on here. Will the people that said ‘ I’d like to be proved wrong but!!’….. really like to be proved wrong?. Not sure. Hope the effort in putting the man down is matched with the support of the team on the pitch, if so I think we could have a good season.
    Can't agree with you here mate.

I absolutely hate being in league one and there is nothing I would like more than getting back to the championship. 

Do I think Sandgaard is the right person to achieve this No I don't.

But I would 100% Love to be proved wrong because if I'm right we will be stuck in this God forsaken shit pit of  league one. 
    We’re grown ups mate, we can disagree without falling out🤣, I completely agree with paragraph 1  and 3 with you. P2, I’m still waiting to see either way, which is why I’m not putting the boot in YET!!!. I’m not going to apologise for trying to be optimistic.  
    I really do hope you are wrong with a passion though about being in this league for too much longer.😬👍
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    DOUCHER said:
    Neither is the period 2006-10 relevant, because the debt accumulated in that period was substantially written off before the spivs took over. The main negative from that period was L1 football, which was eliminated in 2011/12. It’s a fair argument that the debt accrued by the spivs, which was folded into the debt owed to RD, led to the current situation, but unless you are including the last two years under TS as mismanagement (which I would but doubt he does) it’s 14 years from 2006 to 2020.

In any event he has said and insisted upon when challenged that the club ran up £100m of operating losses prior to Duchatelet. This is simply untrue. He also said that the board had been irresponsible when the team was successful, but I haven’t heard him give them any credit for the period before 2005.

He has restated his position over and over again publicly and privately, so I don’t think I’m reading too much into it. 
  • Options
    Nobody on this forum wants Charlton to fail and it is a bit insulting to suggest it. If I was an owner, my policy would be to keep appointing caretaker managers until I find one who succeeds. Bowyer certainly succeeded but had to endure unreasonable circumstances, and the next part of a plan is when you find that manager, you support and keep him, not try to destroy him. 

The reason I would do this is because no interview will tell you if a manager has that magic. Some people may be better at promoting themself but the manager we needed could have been Jacko if we had given him the chance, it could have been Euell, it could be Garner. Except if it isn't Garner, we are in the same shit as we were with Adkins. Who I don't blame for our failure last season btw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So much BS in that article. I wonder if he actually believes the rubbish that he comes out with.
    Why are you so anti TS, and moan at everything he does?
    So you believe everything that he says in that article then? I'd rather he said nothing.
    I'm not anti TS at all but just say it as I see it. I was grateful for him saving us from the thieving scumbags who preceded him but have been more than underwhelmed ever since. If you come in shouting your mouth off about where the club was going to be within 5 years then you have to at least make a start to deliver on those promises. I don't see any progress at all and my expectations for the coming season are as low as they have ever been.

Why should I not believe him and why do you not, what evidence do you have that suggests otherwise?

It’s not that I necessarily believe everything he says, I just understand as our owner he has to be seen to be saying the right things and show desire for success and in the main that’s what I think he’s genuinely trying to do.

I’ve said this before, perhaps his biggest fault, if it indeed it is a fault, he’s over optimistic but I’d rather that, than what we’ve had to put up with previously.

I'd like to believe what he says but he is optimism on steroids. That article was not having to be seen to say the right thing, it was bullshit.
    He needs to stop the PR offensive and start to run the club properly, like other clubs are run.
    The Belgian moron thought that he had a new way to be an owner. Thomas doesn't seem to different on that front. Both of them were/are wrong.
    And how is the club not being run properly? What parts are you referring too?

Do you mean other clubs being run properly like, Birmingham? 
    OMG. You really are bonkers. 
    I can't be bothered to try to talk rationally to you because it is clearly beyond you.
    I'd refer you to the sensible posts of @Uboat and @Cafc43v3r but I aee that that would be a waste of time.
    I hope that you enjoy the pitchside advertising, as that is clearly important to you.
    Phew! Lucky me.

Do you honestly think you talk rationality, I would be inclined to think the opposite!
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I would add to what I said that I think it is fine as an owner to want attractive attacking football. But that is where it should end. There should be no more restrictions than that as the manager should be the one to decide the best way to acheive that and win games without too many details. If I was the owner I would say to the manager I wanted winning football whatever that looked like, but I know a lot of purists would disagree. Mind you my philosphy is F*** the purists, win the game. 

When I managed, the biggest compliment from an opposing manager was not well done but I'm glad we don't have to play you again with genuine hatred. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Uboat said:
    So much BS in that article. I wonder if he actually believes the rubbish that he comes out with.
    So you believe everything that he says in that article then? I'd rather he said nothing.
    I'm not anti TS at all but just say it as I see it. I was grateful for him saving us from the thieving scumbags who preceded him but have been more than underwhelmed ever since. If you come in shouting your mouth off about where the club was going to be within 5 years then you have to at least make a start to deliver on those promises. I don't see any progress at all and my expectations for the coming season are as low as they have ever been.

Why should I not believe him and why do you not, what evidence do you have that suggests otherwise?

It’s not that I necessarily believe everything he says, I just understand as our owner he has to be seen to be saying the right things and show desire for success and in the main that’s what I think he’s genuinely trying to do.

I’ve said this before, perhaps his biggest fault, if it indeed it is a fault, he’s over optimistic but I’d rather that, than what we’ve had to put up with previously.

I'd like to believe what he says but he is optimism on steroids. That article was not having to be seen to say the right thing, it was bullshit.
    He needs to stop the PR offensive and start to run the club properly, like other clubs are run.
    The Belgian moron thought that he had a new way to be an owner. Thomas doesn't seem to different on that front. Both of them were/are wrong.

Who is our CEO?
    Who is our director of analytics?
    Who is our COO?
    What is the role of Raelynn Mooney?

Citing one badly run club doesn’t prove anything. 

I think TS has got a device that senses whatever I’m feeling good about his ownership and whenever it goes off he does something stupid or annoying. 
    Assuming we had all your suggested positions in place, how would you expect the club to show its being run better, what evidence would you expect to see?

If, as @superclive98 has suggested that most other clubs throughout the FL have these positions filled and as you imply are necessary, outside of the Premier League and Championship what clubs do you look to that are a role model for our division and below?

Money talks regardless of the importance of the  positions you mention and if owners aren’t willing to invest then most clubs at our level will stagnate which is evident in the usual clubs trying to stave of relegation year in and year out.

I believe TS is doing his best to invest in all areas of the club and not just players, I realise that’s frustrating for some. But he can only go so far he doesn’t have an oil well at the bottom of the garden, sadly.

While I have no idea what his partners role in the club is, she’s a psychologist and that’s not such an unusual role in clubs today, it may fulfil an important role with the players and everyone else for that matter.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Who is our CEO?
    Who is our COO?

I think TS has got a device that senses whatever I’m feeling good about his ownership and whenever it goes off he does something stupid or annoying. 
    Assuming we had all your suggestions in place, how would you expect the club to show its being run better, what evidence would you expect to see?

If, as @superclive98 has suggested that most other clubs throughout the FL has these positions filled as you imply are necessary, outside of the Premier League and Championship what clubs do you look to that are a role model for our division and below?

Money talks regardless of the importance of the  positions you mention and if owners aren’t willing to invest then most clubs at our level will stagnate which is evident in the usual clubs trying to stave of relegation year in and year out.
    Which club in our division gets gates of over 10k and try to stave off relegation year in and year out?

On the flip side i the owner doesn't spend, I won't use the word invest (you don't invest on your utility bills), you won't stagnant you will go out of business.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Uboat said:

Who is our CEO?
    Who is our COO?

Assuming we had all your suggestions in place, how would you expect the club to show its being run better, what evidence would you expect to see?

If, as @superclive98 has suggested that most other clubs throughout the FL has these positions filled as you imply are necessary, outside of the Premier League and Championship what clubs do you look to that are a role model for our division and below?

Which club in our division gets gates of over 10k and try to stave off relegation year in and year out?

On the flip side i the owner doesn't spend, I won't use the word invest (you don't invest on your utility bills), you won't stagnant you will go out of business.
    I never said clubs getting over 10k are trying to stave off relegation, I said the usual suspects.

Read my Post in full which is just above yours, the one you’ve quoted has been edited.

Give me evidence of how our club would be better run with those positions @unboat suggests. We’re not in the premiership nor championship when clearly those positions would need to be filled, we’re in L1.and maybe a new approach could bare fruit of course I have no idea if it would?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Uboat said:

Who is our CEO?
    Who is our COO?

I never said clubs getting over 10k are trying to stave off relegation, I said the usual suspects.

Read my Post in full which is just above yours, the one you’ve quoted has been edited.

Give me evidence of how our club would be better run with those positions @unboat suggests. We’re not in the premiership nor championship when clearly those positions would need to be filled, we’re in L1.and maybe a new approach could bare fruit of course I have no idea if it would?
    The current set up isn't working, hasn't been working and until it is, it is foolish to argue otherwise. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Uboat said:

Who is our CEO?
    Who is our COO?

Yes the usual suspects that play in front of crowds, in some cases, that could fit in the Jimmy Seed stand.

Mrs TS isn't employed as a psychologist is she?  

I never suggested those roles at all.

I'll ask again what tangible success has Thomas had in two years?  Other than spending lots of money.

I appreciate some will take years to bare fruit but not all.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Uboat said:

Who is our CEO?
    Who is our COO?

Yes the usual suspects that play in front of crowds, in some cases, that could fit in the Jimmy Seed stand.

Mrs TS isn't employed as a psychologist is she?  

I never suggested those roles at all.

I'll ask again what tangible success has Thomas had in two years?  Other than spending lots of money.

I appreciate some will take years to bare fruit but not all.
    As I said, I don’t know what role she fulfils but some seem to be suggesting that she plays a part, I put something forward that she might be fulfilling, I didn’t say she was.

Please read my posts properly and don’t imply I’ve said something when I haven’t!

And BTW I have no idea what utility bills have got to do with it, other than they need to be paid and I assume they are.

From my perspective TS is trying to be optimistic and show ambition and he’s putting his hand in his pocket, more than the other incumbents we’ve had over the last few years.

Is he getting it right, probably not but at least he gives me optimism that he might.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    T_C_E said:
    I don't think he's a bad person or a crook which may not sound much but is a big step up from the last few owners.

He's committed financially and physically EG I'm told he flew into London this morning from Denver and is then driving/being driven straight to Accrington. Compare and contrast with Roland.

He's made tangible progress with the facilities at Sparrows Lane and he undoubtedly picked up an horrendous, long festering mess.  

But he overpromised on success, under estimated the mess he inherited or the time it would take to correct,  underestimated the league, the industry and the transfer market, made bad non-football appointments and hasnt sacked Keohane who is costing him a fortune in staff recruitment costs and staff innovation because TK claims credit for others work and bullies staff so they clam up and then quit. TS doesn't see that as Keohane is very adept at sucking up to his boss, be it Miere, Southall or now him.

Crucially, TS hasn't yet got Cat 1 or a promotion.

I like his ambition and enthusiasm, I like that he wants to try new things and not just accept existing wisdom but sometimes existing wisdom exists because it's tried, tested and, well, wise.

I also like that he puts in £8m to £10m a year to cover losses as we'd be buggered if he didn't. And you can say "what about the Pope money?" but he's still massively in the red.

I just wish he'd let his manager and team do the talking and celebrate successes, on and off the pitch only when they have happened.

And that we have those successes to celebrate sooner rather than later.
     “hasnt sacked Keohane who is costing him a fortune in staff recruitment costs and staff innovation because TK claims credit for others work and bullies staff so they clam up and then quit. TS doesn't see that as Keohane is very adept at sucking up to his boss, be it Miere, Southall or now him”

I spoke to the club (RM) again almost two weeks ago on this matter after another member of staff quit, awaiting further response. 
    Unfortunately asking staff if it’s happening when they’ve already been got at is a waste of time, even staff that have quit are scared of putting new employment at risk. 
    I’ve sat in front of them with staff and wrote email after email on staffs behalf with no affect not sure what else I can do. 🤷‍♂️
    Now what's that phrase I'm looking for ?

Ah, yes.

Talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. 

Pretty worrying, I'd say but then of course I'm a "TS hater "  :-)