Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sheffield Wednesday vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 13th August 2022

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    Then it comes back down to who is going to massively increase their averages to make that happen.
    I agree - the stats don’t back up what I said at this stage, but playing a false 9 that can press and link the play better may create space for others and thereby more chances.  It would then be on Payne/CBT/Fraser etc to score more goals - it may well not work out but I genuinely don’t think Stockley is up to it.
  • Options
    Maybe we need to tweak the system to suit our source of goals.
  • Options
    Work on a system or build the team around Stockley - I know what I'm choosing.

Reckon we have any decent false 9s in the squad? I know DJ's done it for Swindon. Someone said Gilbey but I think they were pulling my leg.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Work on a system or build the team around Stockley - I know what I'm choosing.

Reckon we have any decent false 9s in the squad? I know DJ's done it for Swindon. Someone said Gilbey but I think they were pulling my leg.
    I reckon Payne could play the false 9 well
  • Options
    All boils down to where the goals are coming from. We play Payne as a false nine and 5 or 6 players start smashing their goal scoring career records. Yes ok, let's do that.
  • Options
    Whatever happens, I don't think Stockley is the future for this way of playing, and I doubt he will end the season as our starting central striker. I was surprised we signed him last summer, seeing as we were told we wanted to be on the front foot with the press. He can be an effective striker at this level for sure, but this game plan necessitates mobility from the front three. I do think/hope we'll get another striking option in this window, hopefully someone mobile that could cover the central and wide forward positions, but I think it'll take another window at least to end up with an attacking roster that fits the gameplan 100%.