Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sheffield Wednesday vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 13th August 2022

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2022
    th0rryy said:
    Jac_52 said:

I disagree - we attempted 11 crosses today and I don't think a single one of them was anywhere near stockley. Our quality of cross has been awful or put into the back post as Stockley occupies the defenders, with no one there to meet it. So basically we are crossing plenty enough but we're just shit at it.
    Fair point. The quality and type of crosses that he should thrive on don't come anywhere near enough.

It's been a sore point for me the whole time we've had Stockley tbh. He looks good if there's a mismatch in height, but against similar-sized CBs, I don't really feel he wins enough in the air offensively. Ironically, he looks better defensively with his head. Maybe I'm being unfair based upon the illness today, but I just wish we had a more mobile striker that could both hold up play AND make smart runs.
    I thought some of the crosses were not too bad but we only had Stockley to aim for. Kirk and CBT (depending where the ball was being crossed from) had to be at the far post helping the odds. Instead they drifted in more central which is where your midfielders should be going.
  • Options
    Tad more of a forward's nous needed from CBT there. Had time to get it onto his right and pelt/place it. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    We are far from shit. Been at all 4 games so far and we are making good progrrss
    I don't think he was being serious.
    No idea if he was serious, if he wasn't  then it appears like a needless pop at our supporters
  • Options
    Too right Prague. Let's hope that Stockers ain't got toothache next week!
  • Options
    Any comments on Fraser and whether he’s improved this season ?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    That hasn’t dampened my spirits at all. Very good performance, but struggled for the last 15 mins against the title favourites. Some weaknesses were exposed, but you’d expect that. 
    Get the feeling that we’ll learn and improve from this minor setback, rather than going in to negative meltdown mode as we might have in the past.
  • Options
    Whilst I think this was a promising performance despite the result, I would like us to be better at getting the ball into the opposition half and maintaining our pressure there. For all our good ball retention, Sheffield Wednesday still managed more passes in our half than we did today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Good job Aneke only had a minor knock after Accrington........Oh wait a minute!
    Is there actually an underlying health issue with Aneke or is he just incredibly injury prone?
    Both
  • Options
    Was at the game, Thomas and Martin Sandgaard were sitting with the Charlton fans in the away end, about 8 seats away. Both showed a lot of enthusiasm for the game, although I didn't see them joining in the songs!
    As for the game, I was pleased with the first half performance, high energy, closing Wednesday down, winning the ball back, and getting on the attack. If CBT had put the ball away after the defensive blunder by the home team it could have been so different. I disagree with several posters on Fraser. I thought he had his best game in a Charlton shirt, but should have been subbed 10 mins earlier.
    I also didn't really like the chants of Leaburn, each time Stockley failed to hold the ball up. I think Stockley derserves better than than that, and comparing the two performances, for me Stockley came out on top.
    I agree with most posters that the subs were 5-10 mins too late, and I also agree that McGrandles looked off the pace, but will delay criticism until 8-10 games have passed.
    I still think Stockley does have a role to play under Garnerball. Under pressure you still need to clear the ball and look for a strong centre forward to hold the ball up. The problem today was that there were no attacking midfielders close enough to help him out with a lay off.
    Overall, obviously disappointing result, but was still pleased with the performance (for 70 mins) and am enjoying football under garner far more than that under Bowyer, Adkins and Jackson.
    Very good summary.

• Options
    th0rryy said:
    Jac_52 said:

I disagree - we attempted 11 crosses today and I don't think a single one of them was anywhere near stockley. Our quality of cross has been awful or put into the back post as Stockley occupies the defenders, with no one there to meet it. So basically we are crossing plenty enough but we're just shit at it.
    Fair point. The quality and type of crosses that he should thrive on don't come anywhere near enough.

It's been a sore point for me the whole time we've had Stockley tbh. He looks good if there's a mismatch in height, but against similar-sized CBs, I don't really feel he wins enough in the air offensively. Ironically, he looks better defensively with his head. Maybe I'm being unfair based upon the illness today, but I just wish we had a more mobile striker that could both hold up play AND make smart runs.
    Stockley needs to move into space. If he's tightly marked by a big CB, then crosses aimed towards him will be cleared anyway

The Wednesday goal came from a player running onto the ball
  • Options
    McGrandles played like he was still concussed. I’ve got to say, I’d have much preferred Alex Gilbey’s energy coming on in a game like this. 
    & yet Garner preferred McG to Dobson for first game of the season, I wonder where we would be had McG not been concussed ?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Garner dodges the question whether we need another striker. Says that Stockley played with an illness today.
    We're not allowed to replace Stockley, he's our captain
  • Options
    Disappointed that we lost. We were the better team for 70 mins but we have to take our chances when they’re presented on a plate. I think the difference in the last 20 mins was the quality of the Wednesday subs. They were game changers and we couldn’t cope with it. On to Tuesday … COYA 
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Croydon said:
    SDAddick said:
    Garner saying Stockley was under the weather today but tried to play through it.
    If that's true it's just fucking stupidity. It was like playing with 10 men at times 
    Exactly, we should have started with one of our other strikers ......... Oh !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That performance and the quality  of football played was miles ahead of anything I have seen since the play-off final under Bowyer - except maybe the brief honeymoon period after the appointment of JJ. Huge improvement over last season and the first half did not even look like a League 1 fixture. 

I was genuinely very impressed and can only identify two negatives from the afternoon:

1. The final score
    2. Garners shirt which again was awful
    Sorry and Stockley who was awful today.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    We all know we needed two new strikers at start of the season with Washinhton leaving.
    Now with two weeks to the end of the transfer window what kind of striker can you now expect to sign. I would guess the cast off failures of other teams. 
    Also people there saying players will be better when fitter. That is want comes of signing players  I August who have have had little to no preseason.
    No point signing players early that require a transfer fee, if you wait until the last few days of the window the price will drop by a few quid ............................. apparently.

What seems like a fairly decent window & acquisition of a manager with a plan looks like being derailed because we still don't have goals in this team & we have a striker who doesn't fit the system but we won't replace him because he's our captain & a big influence off the pitch.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Seen a fair few comments online if people moaning but from what I could hear it was a good performance.  Ok so we aren’t clicking up front yet but there’s plenty of time for that.
    it sounded like it was a great game to watch just a frustrating result - this happens in football and it’s usually us who steal a win…..on this occasion we got turned over.  I am not in the slightest concerned by that - the performance is important and it sounds as though we are going in the right direction.

keep the faith 

ps - seen a fair few comments from their fans at how impressive we were which is nice to see for once
    Apart from not scoring it was a really good performance, and heard no criticism of the boys at all inside the ground. Brilliant away support as always
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    We played well.
    I liked how we stood and built up patiently from the back.
    The attitude was positive attacking football.
    We need to cut down the number of touches individual players take on the ball and move the play from side to side (risky I know, but worth it). Then our possession football will be effective in creating space for the delivery of that final ball into the box and our center forward (even Stockley) will be more effective.
    That said, massive improvement on last season already.
  • Options
    cazo said:
    Stockley was shit as was Kirk not fucking interested sell stockley if we can and Kirk thay are shit
    Reading between the lines here, would it be fair to say, in a roundabout way, that you found Stockley and Kirk's participation today a little less than you had hoped before kick-off?! 
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    Anyone still want to tell me Stockley will get 20+ league goals?

Hes a good player but not in a 4 3 3 or as a lone striker. We worked that out last year under Adkins. Charlton love to do the same shit different day.

Said this after day 1, Stockley cannot play in a 433 as proved last season 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    If nothing else, today was a useful reality check about the strength of our squad, and lack of attacking threat, if we seriously want to threaten the top 6 or even top 2

I imagine TS must be wondering why we spent decent fees on the likes of DJ, Kirk and Fraser, all 3 of which are contributing little, never mind the 2 strikers Stockley and Aneke.
    Very good point. Several he's paid transfer fees for haven't cut it consistently yet, although I haven't given up on Garner getting more out of them. And then there was Schwartz 🙄

I hope that fact hasn't clouded Thomas's willingness to pay out if required to get one or two of the targets they're working on. You know, once bitten twice shy and all that!
    Lets not forget that sandgaard & son (& probably wife) all have a say in the transfers. Schwartz was apparently a sandgaard signing ? Of course lets hope he carries on funding some signings, we've bolstered defence & midfield why stop there ? I can't believe Garner is happy with the striker situation & I do hope that the palarse kid isn't seen as the answer to our striker problem.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Blucher said:
    In fairness to Garner on the use and timing of the substitutions, Wednesday had a level of quality and experience to call upon which we did not. We were flagging in midfield, with gaps opening up, but McGrandles is clearly not match fit and was unable to contribute once he replaced Fraser.
    Why was he on the bench then?  JFC, Gilbey, Henry are fit.

If his not match fitness is an issue its not like we didn't have options.