Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sheffield Wednesday vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 13th August 2022

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    SDAddick said:
    Garner saying Stockley was under the weather today but tried to play through it.
    If that's true it's just fucking stupidity. It was like playing with 10 men at times 

Madness playing an ill player in that heat. Highlights lack of depth.  Aneke an availability liability and Miles Leaburn can't have all that expectation put on him so soon.

Needed to replace Washington or should have kept him.  Ridiculous decision and we're lacking.  If Stockley gets injured we're very limited.
    Washington scored today for Rotherham 
  • Options
    Ben Garner has just said Stockley under the weather
    What was the excuse for Accrington and Derby?
  • Options
    Good job Aneke only had a minor knock after Accrington........Oh wait a minute!
  • Options
    Is there actually an underlying health issue with Aneke or is he just incredibly injury prone?
  • Options
    We all know we needed two new strikers at start of the season with Washinhton leaving.
    Now with two weeks to the end of the transfer window what kind of striker can you now expect to sign. I would guess the cast off failures of other teams. 
    Also people there saying players will be better when fitter. That is want comes of signing players  I August who have have had little to no preseason.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Disappointing result. Largely heartening performance. I only watched on a phone but it seemed to me that the ref gave them a lot of nothing 'fouls' whilst we got nothing. Is that a fair assessment or am I just biased?
  • Options
    We was in total control in the first half, so much so there looked to be only one winner.
    Once CBT was blowing, Stockley wasn’t a 100 per cent, and the they started to get their tails up kicking towards the Kop you just knew they were going to nick one.
    The match was exactly the same as against Derby 
    last week.
    What was evident today, is that we need at least one striker as it is not right to rely on Leaburn whom has a tendency to drift out wide as this is his natural position, but he is some talent and we mustn’t burn him out.
    Chucks has more break downs as the AA therefore he isn’t reliable, leaving Stockley as our only striker, and with his physical presence he is liable to get booked and get a suspension as well as the odd red card.
    Bringing in a striker will have to be with a fee and not a loan as no club will let their player come to us too sit on the bench.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Good, probing question from Minto about Stockley...@2.30.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Good, probing question from Minto about Stockley! 
    ?
  • Options
    The boys in the studio summed it up well. 

1) We need another striker
    2) Our wide players need to anticipate crosses coming in from the other side, and get to the far post
    3) Our No 10 in midfield needs to get closer to Stockley and needs to bust a gut to get into the box, as at the moment we don't have enough players in the box when we attack.

So far I've been very disappointed in Fraser, as of the 3 today he's surely the one who needs to be closer to Stockley with Dobson more of the defensive shield, and Morgan running from deeper. Kirk was disappointing today too, and replacing him with Payne rather than Payne replacing Fraser didn't really work, while at the moment it's too early in Leaburn's career to come in and lead the line
    Yeah I'm not convinced by Fraser as a 10 who will chip in with goals. I think the answer there is Payne, the problem is he doesn't seem to be fully fit yet, and when he is fit he's having to play out wide because we don't have quite enough talent in depth there. Rak-Sakyi does, I think, solve two problems in that regard: more quality and hopefully goal contributions out wide, along with freeing up Payne to play centrally. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Which wasn't answered.
  • Options
    There are there are no points for effort and artistic performance in football. That was a good performance, not usually associated with us. However, the end result was typical Charlton. 

Stockley will not get to double figures in this set up, and Leaburn is pretty much Stockley but younger. Not keeping Washington is now looking a poor decision. A ball playing pacey striker is needed. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Is there actually an underlying health issue with Aneke or is he just incredibly injury prone?
    Asked the same question a couple of times last season myself but nobody seemed to know the answer. I think/assume there must be an underlying issue  - can't be right that a professional athlete can't exert themselves physically beyond a very low threshold
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Feels so good losing with a bit of class.

There's obviously negatives, Fraser and Kirk being two of them, but that is a different team we're watching there imo. 
    Totally agree about those two. Not sure how some can write Gilbey and F-C off so easily when neither of these two are producing anything for us on a consistent basis week after week.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    se9addick said:
    Asked the same question a couple of times last season myself but nobody seemed to know the answer. I think/assume there must be an underlying issue  - can't be right that a professional athlete can't exert themselves physically beyond a very low threshold
    Yeah, and this has always been the case with him going back to MK Dons. I understand that, if there is some sort of chronic issue, the club aren't necessarily going to broadcast it, both for the player's sake and also in case they need to sell him. I don't know that the severity of Solly's need injury(ies) was ever explicitly stated by the club over the years when it was a well known secret. I feel like persistent issue with Chuks' groin muscle have been alluded to at times, but I can't think of anything concrete that's been stated. But yeah, I can't think of another player who seems to have so many knocks and niggles that lead to such a long time out. 

It's different to someone like JFC, who has missed a lot of time through injury the last three years. But he has had two acute, severe injuries in tearing the ligaments in his knee twice. As far as I can remember, Chuks has never had something that clear and severe since coming to us. 

I don't know. I thought it was okay business when we signed him, but we were playing with two up front and could have three strikers ahead of him to provide some cushioning. We now have Stockley ahead of him, who doesn't fit the system, and then Chuks, and then a not yet ready Leaburn behind him.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Both
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    What was the question - who would win a race between Stockley and a dead tortoise?