Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sheffield Wednesday vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 13th August 2022

Comments

• Options
    Best performance of the season and we came away with nothing, so so Charlton 🤣
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    And I am sticking up for him. He can be negative because we lost and a problem that should have been covered off hasn't been. But yes there were lots of positives too but I think that issue is important as if we don't address it, we are not going up this year.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    As others have said plenty of positives to take and I also agree that Garner was a bit too slow to change it up.

I seem to be in the minority but I thought Kirk played well. I also don't get the Stockley hate, thought he was linking play really well and although it wasn't all down to this I think him going off was part of the turning point. I do agree he won't get as many goals but I do also think he plays an important role in this setup.

My one big concern is Fraser. I had my doubts initially soon after he joined but was willing to give him time given the state of the team around him and the covid issues. For me he goes missing for too much during games and today showed again he dallies on the ball too long at times. 

I also think DJ will be fortunate to keep his place in the squad after the arrival of Sakyi, though I suspect CBT will be so knackered for Tuesday he might get a rest.
    Just goes to show that football splits opinions..whilst Fraser was by no means brilliant today I cannot see how anyone can say Kirk played well? I really want things to work for him with us but he looked so disinterested today it was untrue! 
  • Options
    On another day, but no complaints whatsoever, a thoroughly enjoyable display of more to come and against less talented squads, we could have a few run away results for a change. Next two home games should not be underestimated, but play like today in both and we should get 4-6 points. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Garner dodges the question whether we need another striker. Says that Stockley played with an illness today.
    This comment cements the fact we need an additional striker.
    This is the key point. An injury crisis in the Autumn ok, but we are on game 3 and have one striker injured and Stockley has to play when he is ill.
  • Options
    There are there are no points for effort and artistic performance in football. That was a good performance, not usually associated with us. However, the end result was typical Charlton. 

Stockley will not get to double figures in this set up, and Leaburn is pretty much Stockley but younger. Not keeping Washington is now looking a poor decision. A ball playing pacey striker is needed. 
     This all day.
    And even more bizarrely ,prior to that, signing Aneke on a 3.5 yr deal.
    Football decisions being made by non-footballing people.
    Not saying they're not, but can you say for certain who made those decisions then? I didn't agree with them either BTW (but I'm definitely not a footballing person) 
  • Options
    We were not in a position to agree or disagree when we re-signed him as we didn't give the lad a medical. We had to assume our medical department gave the green light and if so it looked like a good signing. There were lots of question marks on here soley around his injury proneness though I recall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Out substituted.

Three or four substitutes just after half-time will become normal. 

Save your best players for the second half! The idea that you start with your "best team" no longer works .
    Interesting post. 

Alternatively you start with your best team when the other team doesn't, and try to get an early lead. 

In any case, this five substitute business does indeed add to the choice of strategy.
  • Options
    There are there are no points for effort and artistic performance in football. That was a good performance, not usually associated with us. However, the end result was typical Charlton. 

Stockley will not get to double figures in this set up, and Leaburn is pretty much Stockley but younger. Not keeping Washington is now looking a poor decision. A ball playing pacey striker is needed. 
    Not now. It looked it then.
  • Options
    If nothing else, today was a useful reality check about the strength of our squad, and lack of attacking threat, if we seriously want to threaten the top 6 or even top 2

I imagine TS must be wondering why we spent decent fees on the likes of DJ, Kirk and Fraser, all 3 of which are contributing little, never mind the 2 strikers Stockley and Aneke.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    th0rryy said:
    That was the first full 90 minutes I've watched of us under Garner. Some positives to take from the first half performance, but the result highlighted our blunt attacking options.

Few things of note:
    • Garner gave Stockley an out for his performance, but I still think he doesn't fit this system. Arguably, you could say his mobility was reduced because of the illness, but even a fully fit Stockley doesn't feel like he brings enough. We don't look to ping crosses in anywhere near enough to suit getting things on his head. Garner doesn't seem to want us to play the kind of football he would benefit from, he's on a big wage and replacing him is seemingly not something we'd do. So frustrating.
    • I've yet to see Fraser have a stand-out game. He looked neat and tidy in possession today, but his movement and energy is lacking compared to the other players. He made one decent run in the box in the first half, but I'd like to see Payne get a chance at that position.
    • Kirk looked pretty anonymous too, and doesn't feel like he takes up smart positions in the box to support Stockley. Like Curbs/Browny said in the studio, he needs to be scoring 5-10 and he doesn't look like he will. He's now got a very strong LB behind him, but they need to develop some synergy quickly to warrant him staying in the team.
    I've jumped on the negative because the result annoyed me, but there's a decent amount of good to consider as well. CBT looked great. Dobson just did Dobson things, which I love to see. Liked what I saw of Sessegnon, like others have said previously, and Clare and Morgan were both good too, imo.

Going to The Valley for both games next week. Scoring goals remains the issue and will likely be the preventative factor for a playoff push unless we bring another striker in to chip in.

I disagree - we attempted 11 crosses today and I don't think a single one of them was anywhere near stockley. Our quality of cross has been awful or put into the back post as Stockley occupies the defenders, with no one there to meet it. So basically we are crossing plenty enough but we're just shit at it.
  • Options
    I thought we looked too defensive in midfield and we lost our spark when CBT went off. 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Talal said:
    Davo55 said:
    I suggest we give McGrandles a chance. He missed part of pre season with an injury and is just starting to build up his minutes. He's a proven strong player at this level and it's just stupid to write him off so quickly.
    Is anyone writing him off or just saying he hasn't played well so far? Sure we'll see better from him. 
    Well, these were on the first two pages. If not exactly writing him off then getting pretty close to it:

"If McGrandles would start resembling a footballer, that'd be nice too" 

"Agree with this completely. Disappointed in what I have seen of McGrandles so far he looks a donkey"

"McGrandles played like he was still concussed" 
    Fair enough though I think that can be put down to frustration after a defeat. 
  • Options
    I thought we looked too defensive in midfield and we lost our spark when CBT went off. 
    I was going to say it did feel like Morgan was quiet deep, though I assume that was by design as it worked in nullifying Derby - and to be fair Wednesday for most of the game. 
  • Options
    I think there's going to be a lot of games like this this season, at least until we're more settled in the style. We'll take care of the ball, patiently create and then not necessarily score as a result, and decent teams will sting us on occasion. It's a shame, but I'm glad we're playing well. Bit of everything so far in the first three games, need to win the next one to make it a good start.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kirk too static, seems to only want to release Sessegnon, couple of nice passes. Would like to see him appear on penalty spot as an option for cutting the ball back. Too many crosses that didn't cause major alarms.
    Lots of positives and a sense of disappointment about coming away with nothing after all that controlled football. Don't like Wednesday and Bannon is still a prick. Ref was a bit of  a mystery especially with the freekick against Payne on edge of their box when defender fell over after losing out in a footrace.

• Options
    Take the performance today .. that’s the massive plus compared to this time last season we are miles ahead … play worst and win 
  • Options
    We need an additional 20 plus goals. That is how I think we should look at it.
    Curbs said in the pre match buildup playing the system we are he would be looking for five goals each from his centre halves from set pieces. At least one midfield player chipping in with 10 goals plus and the wide players contributing as well.

This then takes the pressure off the front man
  • Options
    If nothing else, today was a useful reality check about the strength of our squad, and lack of attacking threat, if we seriously want to threaten the top 6 or even top 2

I imagine TS must be wondering why we spent decent fees on the likes of DJ, Kirk and Fraser, all 3 of which are contributing little, never mind the 2 strikers Stockley and Aneke.
    Very good point. Several he's paid transfer fees for haven't cut it consistently yet, although I haven't given up on Garner getting more out of them. And then there was Schwartz 🙄

I hope that fact hasn't clouded Thomas's willingness to pay out if required to get one or two of the targets they're working on. You know, once bitten twice shy and all that!
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

I disagree - we attempted 11 crosses today and I don't think a single one of them was anywhere near stockley. Our quality of cross has been awful or put into the back post as Stockley occupies the defenders, with no one there to meet it. So basically we are crossing plenty enough but we're just shit at it.
    Fair point. The quality and type of crosses that he should thrive on don't come anywhere near enough.

It's been a sore point for me the whole time we've had Stockley tbh. He looks good if there's a mismatch in height, but against similar-sized CBs, I don't really feel he wins enough in the air offensively. Ironically, he looks better defensively with his head. Maybe I'm being unfair based upon the illness today, but I just wish we had a more mobile striker that could both hold up play AND make smart runs.