Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sheffield Wednesday vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 13th August 2022

Comments

• Options
    Really good performance. Title contenders away from home and all they muster is a solitary goal as home side. If Wednesday and Derby are the favourites for the title I don't think we have anything to worry about. Best footballing side last year were MK Dons. I can see us being that side this season. Keep going lads! Hugely impressed with Garnerball. 
  • Options
    PWR

Whose the whipping boy at the moment? I read a couple of tweets aimed at Stockley, is it him?

According to Garner he wasn’t well before and during the game and of course with no Aneke, we had no alternatives?
  • Options
    Anyone get down Kelham?
  • Options
    PWR

Whose the whipping boy at the moment? I read a couple of tweets aimed at Stockley, is it him?

According to Garner he wasn’t well before and during the game and of course with no Aneke, we had no alternatives?
     Repeat Ad infinitum.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    cazo said:
    Stockley was shit as was Kirk not fucking interested sell stockley if we can and Kirk thay are shit
    deep breaths fella, deep breaths. 
        100% Preston got rid of Stockley for similar 
        Reasons, he is very overrated and so so slow.
        Kirk is supposed to be a good player “ really “
        I think he’s also very average.
        We were the best team to today and should have come away with a least one point.
    the referee was a total wanker and cost us at least one penalty maybe two.
    It’s early days and I have great faith in our new young manager, but there is one ingredient we need and we have need it for 2 years and that is a proper focused striker 👍👍👍👍👍
  • Options
    Garner dodges the question whether we need another striker. Says that Stockley played with an illness today.
          We need a proper Striker ….fact
          Stockley is very poor and very slow 👎👎
  • Options
    We Need a proper striker 
    otherwise the same old story in front of goal will carry on and on.
    our owner should face the facts and invest in a proper striker or stay in league one !!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ?
  • Options
    I know it’s frustrating when you’re losing at the end of the game, especially after playing well for a large part of the game but I was a little disappointed with the maturity/concentration of some of our players. 

Albie in particular annoyed me when he tried to take a throw in, dallied around taking ages then gets annoyed and chucked the ball at Clayden. No need for it and hope we can learn to keep our cool more. If we’re going to play this way, any frustrations like that are just going to hinder us. 

Overall I thought it was a positive game and i agree with posters/the studio about us needing to get in at the back post more. I know Leaburn wants to play through the middle but he and us as a side have looked a more dangerous goal threat with him out wide and getting in the box with a more natural strikers instinct. 

I had some doubts about O’Connell but I thought he put in a good display. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    In hindsight Garner got the subs wrong and late.   The fact we went to Sheff Wed and were the better side is a positive. 

Fraser concerns me.  He just is a little bit lazy and I don't think he'll work in Garnerball.  However Martin "recommended" him and that may cause issues when McGravy, Payne and Palace boy are all fit....
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Hopefully TS is being told we need a new forward.
    I thought it was going to be Rak Sakyi
  • Options
    I think TS's learning curve is flattening out but there is still some previous errors sitting in that squad. If a side is serious about promotion then Chuks has to be forgotten. I understand it was a gamble to up the ante in the squad under Jacko but a three year contract for a fella whose appearances won't cover six months is holding this squad back. McGillivary should be allowed to go too, I was never a fan but he is too good a keeper to play second fiddle and his wage would allow us options to complete this squad. Add to that JFC and Gilbey and this squad looks more settled and streamlined. I understand that getting these players out of the club is easier said than done but loans and possibly sales are possible for apart from Chuks, who's only option is donating his body to medical science.  
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    In order to win promotion you have to win games like this.
    Seriously we were the better team and lost.

C***S 
    No, you really don't. In order to win promotion you need to win your home games and collect plenty of points away. You don't need to win away at the pre-season favourites on the third match day. 

Next 2 games are the ones we need the wins from. 
    Then charlton have put themselves under more pressure than need be.
    Was not expecting anything else yesterday but defeat . Had we got a point  one win at home and a draw would be enough from next two home games
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Seen a fair few comments online if people moaning but from what I could hear it was a good performance.  Ok so we aren’t clicking up front yet but there’s plenty of time for that.
    it sounded like it was a great game to watch just a frustrating result - this happens in football and it’s usually us who steal a win…..on this occasion we got turned over.  I am not in the slightest concerned by that - the performance is important and it sounds as though we are going in the right direction.

keep the faith 

ps - seen a fair few comments from their fans at how impressive we were which is nice to see for once
    Query, Plenty of time. Last years failure was down to a slow start, climbing up from the lower mid / bottom of table is not easy. Start as you mean to go on…. winning. 
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    In order to win promotion you have to win games like this.
    Seriously we were the better team and lost.

C***S 
    No, you really don't. In order to win promotion you need to win your home games and collect plenty of points away. You don't need to win away at the pre-season favourites on the third match day. 

Next 2 games are the ones we need the wins from. 
    Then charlton have put themselves under more pressure than need be.
    Was not expecting anything else yesterday but defeat . Had we got a point  one win at home and a draw would be enough from next two home games
    Two wins from 3 is better than a win and 2 draws. Yes, we have pressure, any promotion chasing side does. We should be beating Cambridge at home, we should be beating Plymouth at home. If you can’t take a bit of pressure you're not promotion material. Unfortunately I think top 2 will be a step too far, but 6 points in the next 2 games will underline play-off credentials minimum. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Seen a couple of posts ‘suggesting’ Stockley was ill.
    I thought that was the case actually, as he appeared so listless from the start.
    Anyone got the exact info on this?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't get why you would start (not even bench) a player that was ill.
    It stands out as a tacit admission of squad inadequacy in that position, something that dozens of us on here have been prattling on about since day one.
    Our need for a goalscoring forward or goalscoring winger/forward is primary - left sided defender or other positions are secondary.
    Miles is not ready to be first pick and Chuks is our joker in the pack - brilliant when available but you can't plan around him.

• Options
    Bailey said:
    I think TS's learning curve is flattening out but there is still some previous errors sitting in that squad. If a side is serious about promotion then Chuks has to be forgotten. I understand it was a gamble to up the ante in the squad under Jacko but a three year contract for a fella whose appearances won't cover six months is holding this squad back. McGillivary should be allowed to go too, I was never a fan but he is too good a keeper to play second fiddle and his wage would allow us options to complete this squad. Add to that JFC and Gilbey and this squad looks more settled and streamlined. I understand that getting these players out of the club is easier said than done but loans and possibly sales are possible for apart from Chuks, who's only option is donating his body to medical science.  
    So what if Wollacott gets injured? McGillivary is under contract and if he is too good a keeper to be a reserve, great if we want to make a push for promotion. 
  • Options
    cazo said:
    Stockley was shit as was Kirk not fucking interested sell stockley if we can and Kirk thay are shit
    so from your quote, I think I am right in saying you were not impressed with Stockley and Kirk !