Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Forest Green Rovers | Tuesday 13 September 2022 7:45PM

Comments

• Options
    I think there was a lot of hope at the start of the season that "Garnerball" was going to play the opposition off the park.
    It might have been possible, but with the most important part of the jigsaw missing (a goalscorer who fits the system) that is never going to happen.
    What concerns me, as we gradually slip down the table, is how "Garnerball" works out, if God forbid, we get hit by injuries, confidence plummets, and we find ourselves in a relegation scrap!
  • Options
    Conor McGrandles this season whipping boy?? FFS give him a chance.
    It was a really dire performance. Not writing him off, but that was as bad as I've seen. 
  • Options
    We have a mid table league one squad at best. With the fans not settling for anything less than playoffs this season is going to be long 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Really hope TS sees we need another 2-3 players in January.
    Dazzler, I have to ask, even if he does see the need, do you honestly think he is willing to do something about it ? 
    Depends if he intends to get us promoted and flog us on. 
  • Options
    Someone used the body building analogy the other day which I think is very apt.

You can be pretty to watch, good and cheap.  But you can only pick two.

We are pretty to watch and cheap.  We will have to drop one if them to be good.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    IMO a lot of fans putting the blame on Garner is unfair. He coached a comfortable win, and if it wasn’t for poor end product from CBT, and maybe Rak-Sakyi & Payne, combined with a rare mistake from Wollacot, we would have gone in at half time 5-0 up. Granted, second half we were poor, but Garner tried to switch it up, went 2 up top, and sadly it didn’t pay off.

I feel for Garner. Need a goal and you turn to your bench to see Stockley, DJ, and Clayden as your only attacking options. I can imagine he’s just as frustrated with TS as we are.

I’m not wrong though am I? I know there’s only one stat that matters etc etc but can’t look at this and tell me Garner holds any of the blame. Forwards have to be more clinical.
    Yes. It was a much more dominant display than most of these post-match comments would have you think. But two things: the ball just wouldn't quite drop for us, and the final ball was SO poor so often. And when Morgan put over the cross of the game, Stockley fluffed his lines 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also, has nobody here mentioned the absolutely enormous save Wollacott made in the second half? Sure he screwed up for the goal, but my eyes can't have deceived me - he denied them a point-blank tap-in with a full dive, right? 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Croydon said:
    IMO a lot of fans putting the blame on Garner is unfair. He coached a comfortable win, and if it wasn’t for poor end product from CBT, and maybe Rak-Sakyi & Payne, combined with a rare mistake from Wollacot, we would have gone in at half time 5-0 up. Granted, second half we were poor, but Garner tried to switch it up, went 2 up top, and sadly it didn’t pay off.

I feel for Garner. Need a goal and you turn to your bench to see Stockley, DJ, and Clayden as your only attacking options. I can imagine he’s just as frustrated with TS as we are.

I’m not wrong though am I? I know there’s only one stat that matters etc etc but can’t look at this and tell me Garner holds any of the blame. Forwards have to be more clinical.
    Was only a joke Josh, we're in completely agreement. I don't lay any blame at Garner's door.
  • Options
    Still having Stockley and Jaiyesimi up top in September 2022 is criminal 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Then bloody overachieve.
    Pissed off with excuses.
    Agree. It’s a dangerous thing to accept mediocrity. We’ve had plenty of that the last few years. 

• Options
    Smithy said:
    DJ did absolutely nothing wrong when he came on. Nothing. I was waiting for him to screw up, but he retained possession and got us moving forward every time. He had a cross partially blocked but we still should have had a shot from it - instead we worked it wide to Clayden who proceeded to run it out for a goal kick
  • Options
    T'was only my 2nd game of the season. It feels like the start of the season was just a new manager bounce or honeymoon period.

I said after his Wimbledon red card that I didn't want to see Inniss play again. He's an idiot on the pitch and always an accident waiting to happen.
  • Options
    It's a bit of a jump into the man, if he doesn't lean in he possibly wins the header, but I'm still not sure I see this as a bookable offence.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    It's a bit of a jump into the man, if he doesn't lean in he possibly wins the header, but I'm still not sure I see this as a bookable offence.

That first image contradicts what Garner said post-match, as he mentioned that Ryan's arm was behind his back - Although I imagine at the time he potentially hadnt seen these images
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if Garner keeps up his (justified?) criticism of Sandy he could be gone by Christmas. Anyway, that might not be a bad thing, I mentioned up the page (e.g.) Cotterill at Shrewsbury, a manager picking horses for courses on a small budget. Garner is a football theorist, Cotterill a pragmatist. Pretty football will not get us out of this League, a team that works hard, is together and has a mean (not dirty) streak is needed. These attributes should be priorities over anything else.
    I suspect that Garner is following Sandy's instructions and is playing nice drawing board football, very suited to the Premier League and skilful players who cost and earn millions. If Sandy expects champagne football on vinegar money, he's sorely self delusionary.

So Sandy, keep Garner and give him some cash or bring in a manager whose been round the block and back a few times who might be able to make our team into a silk purse from a sow's ear .. excuse the mixed metaphors
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Smithy said:
    DJ did absolutely nothing wrong when he came on. Nothing. I was waiting for him to screw up, but he retained possession and got us moving forward every time. He had a cross partially blocked but we still should have had a shot from it - instead we worked it wide to Clayden who proceeded to run it out for a goal kick
    I saw one poor cross and nothing else. My point is not what he did last night anyway as he didn’t have enough time to do anything. The point is that he is even in the squad shows how poor our recruitment has been. He was never good enough and the fact that only a league 2 team was willing to take him on the last day of the window is proof of that. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Anyway, I maintain that we are going to dish out an absolute beasting to someone quite soon
    Agree with this.  If/when it clicks, we'll batter someone
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Did we create that many chances in the first half? There's a difference between getting in a good area and creating a chance. We got in plenty of good positions but took the wrong option. There's still two more steps you need to get a chance at scoring - the final ball and the finish. We never even got to the first one. 

Some of our final third attacking play was brainless but defensively is where this team worries me most. Even the mighty FGR looked an attacking force when coming down the flanks. Why do we allow so much space and easy overlaps? One clean sheet so far and that was against Derby (and God knows how they didn't score). You're not going to have a good season when you have to score 2-4 goals just to win a game. 

I felt the belief draining out of me last night. I felt very positive about this team considering our tough start but I needed to see us do well against Cambridge and FGR. The holy ghost has left my body. That was a really poor showing with problems at both ends of the pitch. I don't know where the season goes from here.
    I think it’s a bit of a combo of chances and good positions. First half CBT had 5 chances (scored/ blocked/ side net/ 2 into Jimmy seed)

second half Rak Saki and Stockley both had two chances but on top of that we got into so many good positions and the final ball was awful. Think the worse was CBT in second half when he had two in marked running into box and went straight to first man 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Leuth said:
    Also, has nobody here mentioned the absolutely enormous save Wollacott made in the second half? Sure he screwed up for the goal, but my eyes can't have deceived me - he denied them a point-blank tap-in with a full dive, right? 
    Wollacott is a very brave keeper and a good shot stopper, his problem is an inability to judge when to come for a cross and when to leave it to his defenders .. this is either down to his inexperience or the perennial problem we have with our keepers either not communicating with or not trusting the defence. I said before the season that we needed to sign a big, experienced keeper, that is still true now 
  • Options
    Garner is still in credit, but I don't think it correct to blame all our issues on the squad and recruitment. Defensively we've not been good enough, we've given away too many soft goals this season, and as a team had a collectively awful spell for the first 15 minutes of the second half.

Curbs has said this in previous matches, but our defence seems to mark space, rather than players, so often opposition players are being left along in dangerous positions. The contrast between Wickham being left unmarked to score after our goalkeeper's mistake, with their defence clearing the ball after a similar mistake by the FGR goalkeeper was telling. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Anyway, I maintain that we are going to dish out an absolute beasting to someone quite soon
    Agree with this.  If/when it clicks, we'll batter someone
    Trouble is it will be in the pizza eating cup.