Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Forest Green Rovers | Tuesday 13 September 2022 7:45PM

Comments

• Options
    PWR

A frustrating match which Mrs G described as a waste of £10 of my meagre old age pension!

On last night's evidence we are only marginally better than we were last season. After 8 matches we are 3 points above the relegation zone, 10 points below automatic promotion and 3 points below 6th.

I felt overall, despite a good start to the first half, we were lucky to emerge with a draw at home against once of the poorer teams in the division and feel that if we do leave this division it will be down rather than up. More likely 14th is a fair reflection of where we are in reality.

Cory Blackett-Taylor can be a positive. His goal showed what he can do but the other erratic shots were more typical and I hope he can gain more consistent composure the more he plays.

Chin too looked good on his first league appearance. Inniss, if not injured, still picks up needless yellow cards. Not sure what Mc Grandles (?spelling) brings. We looked much better when Albie came on. The Palace bloke Rak Sakyi (?spelling) was largely anonymous apart from a good header, shot on the turn and Zaha like penalty area 'fall.' The goalkeeper, Wollacott, looked shaky but has done reasonably well in other matches. 

This was a match we had to win if we have any aspirations of promotion but in actuality proved to be a loud and clear reality check and confirmation of our mediocrity.

Nevertheless, COYR!!!
  • Options
    Innis was a bit unlucky with the second yellow after having had a good game when he was moving the ball around at a far quicker pace than in previous games. But these things happen and that's why you have three or four centre halves in the squad. Wollacott had a brain fart and will learn from it.

In the second half Garner was slow to react to the opposition's change of shape. Indeed Forest Green were the better side for a 10 minute period at the beginning of the half after being nearly overrun by the CBT, Chin, Payne combination in the first 45 mins. Both CBT and R-S faded badly and in fact most of the side looked knackered at the hour mark. What are they doing on the training pitch?

That was a game that should have been comfortably won by half time. The players appear to lose it around the opposition box. Perhaps they can take lessons on control and skill from the chap who hit the cross bar during the break. 

• Options
    Have a look at some of these, contrast and compare  :)

League One Videos & Highlights | Sky Sports Football
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    RedPanda said:
    T'was only my 2nd game of the season. It feels like the start of the season was just a new manager bounce or honeymoon period.

I said after his Wimbledon red card that I didn't want to see Inniss play again. He's an idiot on the pitch and always an accident waiting to happen.
    He was superb until the red card, which came from pure desperation to score, nothing else. Yeah he may have given away a chipped pass at one point as well. He was excellent, good on the ball and authoritative in defence. There are many reasons we didn't win that. Inniss absolutely isn't close to being one of them. People seem to be using this result to grind whatever axe they already had without taking the actual game into account 
    I didn't say he was to blame for the performance, I said he's an idiot on the pitch and an accident waiting to happen - if he's fit. I don't want anyone at the club who's got a Kevin Muscat style horror tackle in him.

On Wollacatt - yes it was a gaff he's been our best player this season so far by the sounds of it, and he is still a League 1 keeper.
  • Options
    Mid to lower league 1. We'll be playing Orient in a few years.
    Next Year to be precise.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Conor McGrandles this season whipping boy?? FFS give him a chance.
    It was a really dire performance. Not writing him off, but that was as bad as I've seen. 
    I may have to watch a total match replay on Charlton TV, as I didn't notice him that much. I've certainly seen worse team performances than that (people on Twitter claiming it was the worst they'd ever seen).
    It might have been one of the most frustrating nights I've experienced, however.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Not criticising Miles Leaburn, but when his weakness is obvious against Forest Green, then you have to question his being a first team member. 
    I don't question him being a first team member, but he's not ready to lead the line, especially as a lone striker. Being successful up against a couple of horrible League One defenders requires experience that he just doesn't have yet.
    How do other youngsters do it then? Dane Scarlett for example. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    It was a really dire performance. Not writing him off, but that was as bad as I've seen. 
    I may have to watch a total match replay on Charlton TV, as I didn't notice him that much. I've certainly seen worse team performances than that (people of Twitter claiming it was the worst they'd ever seen).
    It might have been one of the most frustrating nights I've experienced, however.
    It was a fitfully decent team performance with - yes - frustrating end product. McGrandles screwed up almost every time the ball came near him and FGR players seemed to phase through him when they had the ball, it was almost surreal in how bad he was
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I may have to watch a total match replay on Charlton TV, as I didn't notice him that much. I've certainly seen worse team performances than that (people of Twitter claiming it was the worst they'd ever seen).
    Honestly re-watch the game if you need to, his passing was short or sideways, he was out muscled and out paced consistently and didn't win a single tackle, fouled three times and got booked. He had 25 touches in 59 minutes. That's only 16 more than DJ who played...10 minutes!  
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    aliwibble said:
    Not criticising Miles Leaburn, but when his weakness is obvious against Forest Green, then you have to question his being a first team member. 
    I don't question him being a first team member, but he's not ready to lead the line, especially as a lone striker. Being successful up against a couple of horrible League One defenders requires experience that he just doesn't have yet.
    Better control than Leaburn? There's a lot he's good at, but also some stuff where he needs to improve. That will come with training and playing. I'd rather he learns it here. 
  • Options
    I said in the "where are the goals going to come from" thread that to be successful with this type of play (relying on your wingers/midfielders to score) then you need those players to actually be any good  in front of goal. CBT showed last night that he may have pace but he hasn't any composure. A proper forward would have buried 2 or 3 of those chances  

So if buying a striker wasn't a priority then teaching/training the "forwards" how to shoot should be. 
    With all due respect, I think you would benefit from watching the match again, as I intend to.  After CB-T's goal he created two or three more chances for himself, but they were way outside the area. Of course he should have done a lot better, but few players are going to bury two out of three chances from 25 yards.
    He should also have done better in the second half where he beat his full back on at least three occasions, only for his crosses to be cut out. To be fair to him he looked absolutely gutted, and clearly knew he should have done better.
    If his shooting was more accurate and his crosses were more accurate, our chances of winning matches would improve dramatically.
    I'd be interested to know how many crosses we put in to the box, without scoring from any of them.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Anyway, I maintain that we are going to dish out an absolute beating to someone quite soon
    We did. Plymouth. 

We only do it once a season (if that). There wont be another.
  • Options
    With with all due respect , with his electric pace
    if CBT was making mazy runs and smashing three in from the edge of the box - which is where the chances were that he blazed wide last night , he wouldn’t be in Div 1. 
    Exactly!

We are a mid-table League 1 side with delusions of grandeur. I'm strangely quite fond of our players but beginning to realise they won't get us anywhere. 
  • Options
    if Garner keeps up his (justified?) criticism of Sandy he could be gone by Christmas. Anyway, that might not be a bad thing, I mentioned up the page (e.g.) Cotterill at Shrewsbury, a manager picking horses for courses on a small budget. Garner is a football theorist, Cotterill a pragmatist. Pretty football will not get us out of this League, a team that works hard, is together and has a mean (not dirty) streak is needed. These attributes should be priorities over anything else.
    I suspect that Garner is following Sandy's instructions and is playing nice drawing board football, very suited to the Premier League and skilful players who cost and earn millions. If Sandy expects champagne football on vinegar money, he's sorely self delusionary.

So Sandy, keep Garner and give him some cash or bring in a manager whose been round the block and back a few times who might be able to make our team into a silk purse from a sow's ear .. excuse the mixed metaphors
    He did.

Adkins

And this time last season we were in the bottom 4
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    cs1986 said:
    aliwibble said:
    Better control than Leaburn? There's a lot he's good at, but also some stuff where he needs to improve. That will come with training and playing. I'd rather he learns it here. 
    For all the obvious potential let's not forget 6 months ago he had never even played an u23s game.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    cs1986 said:
    aliwibble said:
    Miles' touch last night was disappointing. It was going 4-5 yards away from him. 
  • Options
    On the basis of that performance I think we are in for a long hard season!

We do look much better playing out from the back and retaining possession, but we look very weak in the final third and most of our crosses are not good enough. Goals look like they are going to be hard to come by, but most of us have thought that since before the season started.

The two players who would have improved that team significantly are Purrington and Washington. It is criminal that neither has been replaced.

I think we need a good win very soon or else confidence is going to drop and we could be in for a real struggle. 
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    aliwibble said:
    He doesn’t, Pompey play 4-4-2 so he’s only up against one CB.

I couldn’t watch most of the game last night but Garner needs to find a way to play 2 strikers.
  • Options
    Mid to lower league 1. We'll be playing Orient in a few years.
    Next Year to be precise.
    I mean we played Orient the year we won League One...
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I said in the "where are the goals going to come from" thread that to be successful with this type of play (relying on your wingers/midfielders to score) then you need those players to actually be any good  in front of goal. CBT showed last night that he may have pace but he hasn't any composure. A proper forward would have buried 2 or 3 of those chances  

So if buying a striker wasn't a priority then teaching/training the "forwards" how to shoot should be. 
    Mate, you have commented about 10 times before midday, things ain't great, but for everybody's mental health, take a break for a couple of weeks please...