Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Forest Green Rovers | Tuesday 13 September 2022 7:45PM

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Smithy said:
    After the first few games of this season I really had hope of a really good season ahead. We weren’t great but it seemed clear that we were building an identity. Where has that gone? Garner has bigged up the fact that his style is all about possession but Forest Green Rovers have just come to The Valley and comfortably equalled us on that front. Sandgaard can take a large chunk of the blame for where we are because the squad looks woefully short but Garner needs to take a bit of credit too; it’s clearly not working right now, so change something, even it’s just minor amendments to bring the CF into the game more. 

More specifically, McGrandles plays like I do in my dreams where I can’t move my legs properly. CBT scored but actually had a shocker of a game. Leaburn was a bit better than Stockley but the issue is still there. Rak-Sakyi needs to shoot one or two touches earlier. I genuinely cringe when I watch Stockley try to play football. If you mixed Chin and Clayden together you’d have a good wingback.

Errr we had 65% possession 
  • Options
    Thought there were some positives tonight 

O'Connell had a good game and Chin grew into the match after a nervous start. 

After 15 minutes it looked like it could be another Plymouth , but we have got to take  a few more of the chances. Looked to be lots of our players free at the back post , but we don't seem to look up before we cross, either that or we are completely misreading the forwards signals. 

Ref was awful , first half it looked like he hadn't read the memo to let some physical contact go and keep the game flowing . Spoke to their keeper countless times about wasting time. Why don't they book the keeper early and tell them if they do it again they are off. 

Was in the CE Lower just behind Innes when he was red carded. Sorry cant see why people are having a pop. Last few minutes of the game ball has come across and he has busted a gut to get to it, if the defender hadn't got a touch he was in. Perhaps the people who are complaining wish he had just jumped vertically with his hands behind his back, because he deffo wasn't going to get anywhere near the ball without him trying to take some risks. 

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Conor McGrandles this season whipping boy?? FFS give him a chance.
    He’s no scapegoat He’d struggle in my pub’s vets team
    never got the ball under control once
    gave away stupid fouls 
    rightly booked
    only a moron or coward sends him out again 2nd half
    If Garner had a pair he had to hook him as soon as he got the yellow 
    If he plays in the league again we’ll have to be down to our last XI registered bodies or Garner’s a tool
    Disagree with this - He closed down well first half, got into the oppo box , put in some decent tackles , miscontrolled a few , but he has hardly played this year.  He tired quite quickly , probably because of the lack of minutes so far. The ref was blowing up for any contact in the 1st half so i dont think you can accuse him of giving away stupid fouls , as he was pinging all of our players. Do you think Morgan was an improvement when he came on ? 
  • Options
    Our decision making was really poor tonight, especially the finale ball.
    Cost us dear at the end.

We are a bang average third division side, so almost no chance of a top 6 place. 
    Oh dear it’s time I went to bed.
  • Options
    PWR, have decided to miss player marking tonight, because would be pretty negative. I hope a good few (of the players!) look at themselves in the mirror tomorrow and vow to improve. Totally get why TS doubted JJ, but thought he would have produced an effective team this summer with a little backing. Instead we have a new bloke with next to no backing and it really shows. 
  • Options
    Hate watching Charlton now and glad that I no longer waste my time and money travelling the 70 miles to The Valley.
    Never felt so disconnected.
    Was deffo worse with Adkins 
  • Options
    McGrandles was poor tonight but he wasn't the only one. If he's father had played for Charlton then maybe he'd get more than a couple of games before he's written off. 
    Except he's 26 and not 18. McGrandles was shocking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Our biggest problem today was left-back. Chin was struggling defensively (although he was decent in possession) and then Clayden put on an exhibition of awful attacking play 

Chin was solid defensively I thought. Some good 1 on 1 defending and his positioning was decent. Can't really say he put a foot wrong tbh. You are right about Clayden though.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    What do we think about JRS ending the game down the middle next to Stockley? Desperation or something they have been looking to deploy?
    Imo it didnt work. JRS hardly touched the ball & if he is there for a Stockley knockdown then he'll be waiting all season. 

JRS is so much better out wide where he can take defenders on & panic them. I can see why Garner tried 2 up top but tonight it didnt work - wrong personel for starters. 
  • Options
    Not sure if Garner can keep us in this division with football designed to please TS and not concentrate on any defensive shape
  • Options
    0%        Automatics 
    7%        Play offs 
    74%       7th-12th
    18.9%       13th-20th
    0.1%       Relegation 

complete pony basically 
  • Options
    Can we sign up the fella who won the crossbar challenge (£11.5k) 
    Apparently he's injured. 
    Out for six months...
    He’s now a perfect fit for us 
  • Options
    If I never see McGrandles in a Charlton shirt again it will be too soon.

What a ridiculous goal to give away.

I thought the referee had good game until he booked Clare and Innis, then he must have been watching a different game than the rest of us to book in Innis a second time.  Yes, it was I foul, but a booking?
  • Options
    McGrandles was just dire, one of the worst performances i've seen of a player in a Charlton shirt
    Nailed it, looked like he’d won a competition to play.

all we need is a fit Chuks who can play 35 games….oh wait a minute

I’m totally losing interest 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was dubious about signing someone who'd suffered knee ligament damage before he'd recovered and proved himself again. 

He is back on the grass as they say, but he really is off pace and out of salts.  Don't think he should be starting games. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    What a shitty team FGR were! When a team that deserves to get thumped isn't, somehow it seems so wrong. We had NO quality but at least we tried.
  • Options
    0%        Automatics 
    7%        Play offs 
    74%       7th-12th
    18.9%       13th-20th
    0.1%       Relegation 

complete pony basically 
    I reckon much higher on the 13th - 20th %’s. 
  • Options
    Gilbey scored the winner for Stevenage tonight.
    Glad for him, maybe he found his correct level to flourish
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    It’s becoming very evident that TS should probably sell up.  I understand his reticence to invest given what he’s put in so far, with fees for Stockley, Kirk, Mansfield, Fraser and Lavelle, but if all he’s given Garner to work with is the budget to bring in a few free transfers from league 2, that don’t look like they’ll be near the top 6 come Jan, then what is the point.  

You can’t tell me another couple of windows operating on the same budget/format that we’ve just had is going to push on, that’s not factoring in losing our ‘better players’ whoever they are.

This is absolutely looking like the beginning of the end for the TS era.  He doesn’t want to invest, fair enough, but we are heading to paralysis and keeping our head above water on reputation alone.  All the signs are there.  The crowds, the frustration, the squad.  The only way out of this mess is a new owner and I don’t want to say that after 2 and a bit years, but it’s just not working, nor will it 
    I get your drift here- but where are the potential buyers? They would have to be crazy
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    It’s becoming very evident that TS should probably sell up.  I understand his reticence to invest given what he’s put in so far, with fees for Stockley, Kirk, Mansfield, Fraser and Lavelle, but if all he’s given Garner to work with is the budget to bring in a few free transfers from league 2, that don’t look like they’ll be near the top 6 come Jan, then what is the point.  

You can’t tell me another couple of windows operating on the same budget/format that we’ve just had is going to push on, that’s not factoring in losing our ‘better players’ whoever they are.

This is absolutely looking like the beginning of the end for the TS era.  He doesn’t want to invest, fair enough, but we are heading to paralysis and keeping our head above water on reputation alone.  All the signs are there.  The crowds, the frustration, the squad.  The only way out of this mess is a new owner and I don’t want to say that after 2 and a bit years, but it’s just not working, nor will it 
    I get your drift here- but where are the potential buyers? They would have to be crazy
    I agree. Buying a league one club is crazy but there are crazy people in the football world. 
    Personally I think any potential new owners will be trying to cut a deal with Roland before they talk to Sandgaard as that's where the real money is.
  • Options
    I would much rather see JFC playing as our left-back over Chin / Clayden, surely that makes the most sense over the other two options? He has played left-back a couple of times for us before from memory.

At least with him it’s an experienced player with a left foot on the left of the pitch who can fit the system, pass the ball and deliver into the box. Get him on that pitch.
    Thats the way I've been thinking, but I guess the negatives might be the lack of pace (decent but not electric), current lack of game time and sharpness (which hopefully might improve), ?? risk of re-injury and therefore not saleable next window??
    I would hope he's going to gradually get minutes and we can see where his form is.