Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Forest Green Rovers | Tuesday 13 September 2022 7:45PM

Comments

• Options
    Late in second half  in covered end lower there were some imbeciles throwing plastic bottles on the pitch. Who are these subnormals?
  • Options
    Every cloud and all that …..

Leyton Orient going great guns in League 2 so far - if they keep that up, and get promoted to League 1, next season we will have a London derby again, and I’ve always enjoyed a trip to Brisbane Road 😀

Over and out 
  • Options
    Gilbey scored the winner for Stevenage tonight.
    Dear God, it never ends.  Can only imagine what he’d have brought to the show tonight.  I think Lisbie is still doing the business for VCD or Cray or someone.  Let’s see if he fancies a run out as well :-( 
  • Options
    I see we are a massive 3pts above the relegation zone after 8 games. 
  • Options

Leyton Orient going great guns in League 2 so far - if they keep that up, and get promoted to League 1, next season we will have a London derby again, and I’ve always enjoyed a trip to Brisbane Road 😀

Over and out 
    And Pratley is doing the business for them...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Same Charlton, different personnel and management team. Lack lustre and not enough team investment means another season of mediocrity at the Valley. Carry on with the empty the Valley Campaign Mr Ego, it's about the only success you've had so far.
  • Options
    There were worrying signs in the Cambridge and Wycombe games, but there was always the "lots of business gets done at the end of the window" to keep things positive. Once we signed nobody, the harsh reality dawned that we have an average side, that doesn't have the cutting edge of a prolific striker up top BUT ALSO is vulnerable at the back. 

I was wary beforehand about starting Leaburn down the middle, as I don't think he's ready to play there, and is much more effective in the wide positions at this stage. I was wary about yet another non left back being played at left back, and was a bit concerned about the number of changes.

As for the game, the first half was the usual story of not capitalising on our good periods and gifting a soft goal away. And once again when we've been good in the first half, the opposition change things in the second half and we can't cope. The most worrying thing to me is how vulnerable we looked at the back for the first 15/20 of the second half, a decent L1 team would have taken advantage of the attacking possession we conceded. We were so vulnerable to quick counter attacks, one ball behind the defence and they were in. And when we saved the first phase, we failed to clear the ball, letting them have another go.

In attack we seemed to be relying on individual moments of magic, with the likes of CBT, JRS and Payne running into the box with the ball, rather than creating goals through team play, Leaburn wasn't great but got no service, while the best cross for Stockley came from Morgan.

And what's happened to Stockley's heading ability, as that's meant to be his strength? Average L1 CBs are now finding it easy to cope with him, whereas when he first joined us, he would regularly beat them.

I can't say we deserved the win, our position in the table and points total is a fair reflection of our first 8 games.
  • Options
    Depressing evening. Tiny crowd. Lots of possession but the final ball is shocking. Clayden at the end clean through with a dreadful ball into the box and he was not the only one. A better team would have hit us on the break in the last 20 mins but FGR were happy to adopt the L1 norm of wasting time - keeper, throw ins, fake injuries, boring. We could end up in the bottom six at this rate and I would hate to see this side try and battle their way out of it. 
    Chin made some good tackles but his team mates seemed reluctant to pass to him. 
    This side was crying out for a Washington to break them down. 
    I hate League 1 and I hate what our club is becoming in this hell hole division.
    And bear this in mind - in the hell hole times of the 1970’s and early 1980’s when we dropped into Div 3, we weren’t there very long - we got back into Div 2 - attendances were awful in one of the (still then) biggest grounds in England - albeit it was a dump - but we were by and large a ‘solid’ Div 2 club - look at how much time we have spent in Div 3 in recent times - this is, when you take a step back and think about it, one of the worst periods, on the pitch, that Charlton Athletic have ever had…..
  • Options
    McGrandles was poor tonight but he wasn't the only one. If he's father had played for Charlton then maybe he'd get more than a couple of games before he's written off. 
  • Options
    Some ok possession, but overall a bit shite and something different needs to happen very soon if we are to ‘have a go’ this season. Chin was encouraging - why was he taken off. Wingers threatening in body language and movements alone - end product, other than CBT goal - woeful!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Over and out 
    Failing that Welling have started well this season, with sandgaards break even attempt maybe we'll have a derby in the National League in a couple of years ?
  • Options
    I wonder if this was how the vision was sold to Garner. We need to know, Thomas!
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Crying out for a top striker. A Clive Mendonca  type who leads from the front and sticks away a chance.
    Thomas has effectively chucked away this season.
    top strikers in any League cost lots .. Sandy talks a good fight but he's just not prepared to put the money (if he has any) where his mouth is .. Mendonca is a classic case of what a top striker can do for a club .. without him we'd'a never got into the Prem ever
    This with knobs on. 

Mendonca always scored goals. Finally we took a gamble & bought a striker that scored regularly & knew the division. 

But not now. Now we are relying on a youngster who before the season started had not played League football. It's not Leaburn's fault but imo he is not ready for the step up. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    aliwibble said:
    Not criticising Miles Leaburn, but when his weakness is obvious against Forest Green, then you have to question his being a first team member. 
    I don't question him being a first team member, but he's not ready to lead the line, especially as a lone striker. Being successful up against a couple of horrible League One defenders requires experience that he just doesn't have yet.
    The Strikers need support... CBT and Rak-Sakyi pretty much hug the touchlines either flank, whilst Leaburn is in the exposed and alone in the centre - Both need to come closer, bit like when Payne was doing just that because else he's controlling it and then having to play a riskier long ball out wide.

Ironically the best attempt a Striker had for us tonight was when Rak-Sakyi drifted into the middle, linked up with Stockley who sadly continues to have a thing for striking / heading the ball straight at Goalkeepers
    Really the best two Rak-Sakyi had that header as well.

The problem with this team and last year and under Bowyer isnt the players are good enough. It's the players aren't the right ones, or blend of ones, to be better than the sum of the parts. 

Everyone of our players is better than the Forest Green equivalent.  We missed Kirk's delivery today but then you have to sacrifice the pace of CBT.

We can't get the midfield blend right.  How do you get Stockley to score goals?

All the injured players SS would make us a little bit better, it would give us more depth as well, Aneke would be dangerous off the bench.  But none of them would suddenly make us a much better team. 
    Not sure about that. Their eight was good, and the centre backs were trojans. How many crosses into the box did they cut out, and how many shots did they block?

We should have won that easily though, and with a bit of luck we would have. What this highlights though is that our first choice team is pretty good, but once we pick up injuries we’re mid table fodder. 
  • Options
    Season over by September again. 433 doesn’t work, especially when it’s so predictable teams can set up to counter it. McGrandles reminded me of Christophe de Pointe, absolutely useless.
  • Options
    I feel sorry for everyone who was on HMS Tommy and believing we were actually gonna be good this year.

We are shatty crappy shit shat. Always were.

He's got a point here. If Gary Neville is still following the CL threads expect a massive plagiarism this weekend when he says "...Cristiano was ... shatty crappy shit shat today"! 
  • Options
    At least we have no expectations now. It is kind of becalming. Bit like supporting a Shrewsbury, Rochdale or Mansfield.

Meet mates, have a few beers, chew the cud about life, watch a decent Prem game, shrug your shoulders because you know it will be ordinary at the game, few more beers, takeaway on the way home, watch Match of the Day. Happy days. Low expectations are the key to supporting Charlton and having a good day. 
    Hard to get too worked up. We're a mediocre L1 side and belong in this division.
    I don't agree that we are mediocre. I think we play some pretty decent football & so far this season have been the better team in most of the games. But we fail to capitalise when we go ahead & have dropped points against Accrington, Cambridge, Bolton & tonight when leading. Not only can we not do a Golfie we are now not winning when ahead......something that was unheard of over the past couple of seasons. 

And if we stay in this division too much longer I don't think I'll be attending many more games. 
  • Options

Over and out 
    And we get to see Pratley kicking our midfield up in the air. Oh joy.
  • Options
    Season over by September again. 433 doesn’t work, especially when it’s so predictable teams can set up to counter it. McGrandles reminded me of Christophe de Pointe, absolutely useless.
    My big concern with 433 or 4231 is how to defend the flanks properly. With "old fashioned" 442, it was clear that the winger and full back on each side would have to work together in attack and defence, whereas with our 433, the full backs frequently seem to be left exposed, as the 2 attacking wide players are meant to be goalscorers as well. It would be tough enough if we had an experienced LB at LB, but to have a young kid playing out of position being left exposed like that is madness.