Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Forest Green Rovers | Tuesday 13 September 2022 7:45PM

Comments

• Options
    Going to bed, but I will leave it with this point. When you have one striker and are outnumbered in the middle, you need quality delivery but our delivery has always been hit and hope. No change this season.
  • Options
    We don't have an edge. 

We have a whole bunch of honest to goodness lads who'll give it a go - quite a few from a sleepy Wiltshire town - but we don't have an edge.  

By and large you have to pay to have an edge and we ain't doing that anytime soon.

Mediocrity is what we have, we need to get used to it.
  • Options
    Did Garner field a weakened team, to try a few different players?
    Extremely frustrating night, we were poor but should have won comfortably.
    FGR look like relegation fodder. 
    Their only shot anywhere near the target was the gift ftom Wollacott.
    Hmm, we couldn't break down an 11 man defence, as usual. 
  • Options
    It is so frustrating watching a team who cannot do the basics correctly. I don't under estimate for a minute how difficult it must be to become a professional footballer but performances like tonight make you wonder what they do on the training pitch each day.

Our defending was almost slap-stick levels of comedy tonight, as it has been at other points in the season as well. We got away with it to a degree tonight (If you could getting a point at home against FGR getting away with it) but if we carry on in a similar theme teams are going to capitalise on it.

I say this without having any access to official stats to back it up but we must be near the top of the league in terms of how many times we turn the ball over to the opposition and lose possession.

Wollacott has saved us more points this season than he has cost us however he looked shaky tonight and hopefully he will put that clanger tonight behind him.

Mcgrandles seems to be getting some pelters already but the guy has to be given a chance, I can't say I've seen him play before he signed for us but he seemed highly rated at Lincoln. Although so did Gilbey at MK dons and look at how that turned out...

Dobson looked the best player on the pitch tonight, as usual. I'd be shocked if he's playing league one football next year.

Overall another really frustrating night and it already feels like the initial optimism at the start of the season has drained away, and we are churning out some pretty poor performances as well. It felt a very similar performance to those we saw at the back end of last season which is a real concern.

For context when McGrandles and Gilbey were both at Mk Dons it was Gilbey that won POTY, twice.
  • Options
    Need to move the ball quicker, we are far too pedestrian when we are moving forwards. I understand we play it about but we can still do it with more of a zip and more conviction in the pass. 
    We did get the ball wide today but the final ball in was shocking. Thought the only bright spots were Payne and Chin, both of them had the energy and wanted to be involved.
    all wide players need to be working on putting ball into the box tomorrow, such poor delivery from a pro player.
    From the bench no one made an impact 
    Spot on, I meant to add how slow we were in our build up to my post so I'm glad you've mentioned it. It felt in the first 20 we were slick, everyone was moving there was nice flicks round the corner it was all quite fluid. 

I'm fairly sure FGR changed tactics and just decided to sit back and say break us down and we had no answer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curbs delight at the crossbar win was the highlight of the evening. Each week he has been banging in about people not taking it seriously and that they should turn up in studded boots. So when the lad turns up tonight in full kit, it couldn't have been a more suitable winner. Curbs was so happy. Shame the match didnt bring the same joy. Another point Curbs made, and had wanted to ask Garner. Why did he make 6 changes and also drop the captain, Stockley? Whatever the plan it didn't work. 
    Trying to find a winning combination? Or trying to make a silk purse from a Sows ear but you are right it didn't work. 
  • Options
    Looks like “da management” have reverted back to counting all season ticket holders as attendees rather than bums on seats.

The new scheme did not last long 
  • Options
    Very depressing. We’re just not very good!!
  • Options
    We're only 8 games into the season but we all know that we're not going up, we're not going down, and we probably won't have a cup run because we never do.

So it's going through the motions, bored and frustrated, for 9 months.
    Be fair,  we're through to the 3rd round of the Caraboa Cup.

That is a cup run for us.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Jdredsox said:
    I guess I was watching a different game. 

McGrandles is coming in for a lot of stick, but watch it back in the first half and check who was creating runs beyond Leaburn when he dropped deep. Hell in even Curbs, Fortune and Minto picked up on it and mentioned it at half time and I value their opinions on football a lot more than the likes of Leuth who want to call out my player scores without backing it up. 

Also take a look at our shape defensively. On the left Chin was able to stay wider and prevent their overlaps, why? Look at the positions McGrandles was taking up. 

Now compare it to the right, especially when they started switching play after picking up on it. Clare had to sit more centrally to prevent them getting in 2v1 on Inniss because Leuth’s Lord and Saviour Payne was nowhere to be seen. He’s great going forward but a defensive liability. JRS is playing a more advanced role so that midfielder has to come back and do defensive work. Fraser does it, Payne didn’t and it left us exposed. People rightfully said that a lot of our best forward play went through Payne, but that will always happen when he’s playing that advanced. He could be great for us, but I don’t know that it works in a 4-3-3. 
    Great post, with one small problem - McGrandles was on the right of the midfield and Payne on the left
  • Options
    Did Garner field a weakened team, to try a few different players?
    Extremely frustrating night, we were poor but should have won comfortably.
    FGR look like relegation fodder. 
    Their only shot anywhere near the target was the gift ftom Wollacott.
    Hmm, we couldn't break down an 11 man defence, as usual. 
    I don't think so. 

I think he left Clayden, Kirk and Stockley out because of the Bolton game.

Inniss was back fit.

Fraser wasn't avaliable.

He wants to pick McGrandles.

He is shuffling shit at left back and center foward.  Inniss is going to miss games.  He, like Bowyer, can't seen to find a combination of CMs that works consistently.  

It will either click or we will now go 3 or 4 changes every game.  

It's not his fault.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone else impressed with their 25 Peart-Harris. 19yr old on loan from Brentford ?
    He got into it quite well in 2nd half. Looks to have come on a lot since I saw him last season playing for Brentford Bees. 
  • Options
    What do we think about JRS ending the game down the middle next to Stockley? Desperation or something they have been looking to deploy?
  • Options
    I thought Dobson was poor today.

turned away and missed the second yellow, was it deserved?
    Dobson was our MOM. 
    Arguably Payne. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    What do we think about JRS ending the game down the middle next to Stockley? Desperation or something they have been looking to deploy?
    Gets him in the box at least. No problem trying it and he nearly got one, with the volley on the turn. 
  • Options
    So sickened and iritated for spending £32 on that utter garbage of a performance and another £6 from one of burger vendors outside for an awful dog burger that was so bad I threw it away after a couple of bites.
      Don't know what was worse, the game or the burger; both an utter waste of time and money!!
  • Options
    I’m not surprised, we are a very average side with no depth in a lot of positions.

no matter how good the manager may be, he can only work with what he’s got. 

If we aren’t careful in a few weeks we’ll be far too close to the bottom.
  • Options
    At least we have no expectations now. It is kind of becalming. Bit like supporting a Shrewsbury, Rochdale or Mansfield.

Meet mates, have a few beers, chew the cud about life, watch a decent Prem game, shrug your shoulders because you know it will be ordinary at the game, few more beers, takeaway on the way home, watch Match of the Day. Happy days. Low expectations are the key to supporting Charlton and having a good day. 
    If you added something about having a dance or two I'd wonder if you were the Belgian  :D