Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Forest Green Rovers | Tuesday 13 September 2022 7:45PM

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    Possession stats are meaningless, when teams can endlessly pass the ball around the defence and get "credit" for it.

I wish they would publish a "possession in the opposition half" stat as that would much more useful to indicate which team was on top.
    They do track stats like touches in opposition half / opposition penalty area but I don't think that it's publicly available information. I would imagine we rank quite highly on that metrics too.

The best I'm aware of are these "zone of control" maps from https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/08/league-one-stats-2022-23/

(Blue = over 55% possession, red = under 45% possession)
    Counting up the squares in the attacking halves for all these teams:

Accrington: 1 blue
    Barnsley: 2
    Bolton: 3
    Bristol R: 1
    Burton: 0
    Cambridge: 1
    Charlton: 5
    Cheltenham: 1
    Derby: 6
    Exeter: 5
    Fleetwood: 7
    Forest Green: 1
    Ipswich: 8
    Lincoln: 1
    MK: 1
    Morecambe: 0
    Oxford: 3
    Peterborough: 2
    Plymouth: 0
    Port Vale: 3
    Portsmouth: 1
    Sheff Wed: 1
    Shrewsbury: 0
    Wycombe: 2

It's not as definitive as I would like but only Derby, Fleetwood and Ipswich are controlling possession more in the oppositions half than we are, according to the count of these squares. To say we are only boosting our numbers by playing with the ball in our own half is wrong.
    Shows that we are'nt getting to the byline enough. A cross from there spells danger as the defender is usually running towards his goal & usually has to put it out fur a corner. A ball coming in on the angle is much easier to defend & the defender is usually facing upfield and is easier to clear. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Ben Garner:

“I need to understand why we drop away from what we’ve been doing. Whether we get too comfortable or start doing things differently from what we’d set up to do, I don’t know. I need to find a way of improving that. Again, it is my responsibility to do because we started well, we get the goal and are ahead – a second goal would have put us really in control. Even then they didn’t look like scoring, although we hadn’t got that second goal, at no point did I feel they were going to score.

“We allowed them to get a bit of hope and we gifted them a goal. That makes the second half a different game.”

I can tell you why Ben but I can't give an answer how to solve it. When we score a goal, deep down we know we find it hard to score goals so psychologically we tend to sit back a bit trying to protect the lead rather than trying to add to it and leaving ourselves open. However defensively we have mistakes in us. Opponents have to be more adventurous when they go behind and put the two together and there you have it.

• Options
    cabbles said:
    One of the problems for BG is that in making Stockley captain in this preferred set up and dropping him at just the 8th game into the season, is kind of saying, it’s not working.

I admired his confidence in making the changes last night, but it’s becoming pretty clear is first XI aren’t good enough, which means the fringe players like Mansfield aren’t going to add much more 
    Who is Mansfield?
    Uses to do a radio phone in on a Sunday night..
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Possession stats are meaningless, when teams can endlessly pass the ball around the defence and get "credit" for it.

I wish they would publish a "possession in the opposition half" stat as that would much more useful to indicate which team was on top.
    They do track stats like touches in opposition half / opposition penalty area but I don't think that it's publicly available information. I would imagine we rank quite highly on those metrics too.

The best I'm aware of are these "zone of control" maps from https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/08/league-one-stats-2022-23/

It's not as definitive as I would like but only Derby, Fleetwood and Ipswich are controlling possession more in the oppositions half than we are, according to the count of these squares. To say we are only boosting our numbers by playing with the ball in our own half is wrong.
    That is brilliant but only Ipswich, Portsmouth, Plymouth, Wednesday, Bolton, Cambridge, Peterborough, Slop, Exeter, Wycombe, Barnsley, Fleetwood and Derby have got more points than us.

What your really saying is Fleetwood are are really good team and it woyld take a great performance to get a point there on Saturday...
  • Options
    By the way, where was the supposedly now fit Aneke?
    Nowhere near fit😂
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    One of the problems for BG is that in making Stockley captain in this preferred set up and dropping him at just the 8th game into the season, is kind of saying, it’s not working.

I admired his confidence in making the changes last night, but it’s becoming pretty clear is first XI aren’t good enough, which means the fringe players like Mansfield aren’t going to add much more 
    Who is Mansfield?
    Jayisemi- I’m just going to refer to him as Mansfield now, after his collapsed move on deadline day 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Some thoughts

Before

• The stupid pricing policy meant my eldest didn't go with us. He can't commit to a ST this year and was going to attend on a pay as you go basis. That all fell apart when he found the price for a Tuesday night match ticket against FGR was north of £30. Absolutely ridiculous.
    • From ridiculous to surreal. In fact the most surreal thing I've witnessed at football since that bloke half-volleyed a dildo into the net at Lincoln. I presented my ticket at the automated turnstile and a human hand shot out, grabbed my ticket and positioned it under the laser-reader thing for me. What? If that's how they are going to operate, why not just have proper old fashioned turnstile operators? If the club are going to continue this, can I ask that for the Ipswich game which is just two days before halloween the mysterious ticket machine helpers are issued with these
    • They seem to have taken Heineken off the menu in the Covered End (I'm not surprised at the price they wanted for it). They still sell Fozzies though, but that's now sold under the generic name 'Lager', presumably because it's more appealing. John Smiths is still sold as John Smiths though; I guess it would stretch the imagination too much to call it 'Beer'.
    • Well done to whoever put those big red signs on the tills in the North Upper proclaiming "Welcome To Charlton F C West". It's hard to imagine how one simple line of text could be so wrong in so many ways.
    • The minute's silence was followed impeccably and everyone who wanted to was able to sing along with the national anthem completely unhindered. That was Charlton fans truly showing their class. What a shame that the taking of the knee was booed by a minority of politically motivated idiots showing their lack of class.
    • There seemed like a lot of changes to the lineup. Perhaps a sign of desperation? It's a bold move putting your captain on the bench. Perhaps a masterstroke - time would tell. 

During

• Nice lively start. CBT had more shots in the opening ten minutes than Stockley's had all season. Perhaps is was a masterstroke.
    • Sadly not. Aside from the goal nothing was on target. At least he was trying though.
    • As frustrating as the game was, there were times when we played some nice passing football. Same story every week though, we're too wasteful up front and too ill-disciplined at the back.
    • We gifted FGR three really good chances. A decent team would have killed us off early in the second half.  
    • I was most impressed with O'Connell, Payne and Dobson. I feel most sorry for the youngsters, though they all acquitted themselves well. Already this season we're asking too much of them. I was disappointed with Wollacott, Clare and Inniss, they could have done better.  
    • I don't know if McGrandles is shit or not because he didn't really do anything that I noticed. Suspect that's not a good sign though.
    • The ref was crap, but even with the sending off I don't think he altered the course of the game. We only have ourselves to blame. 
    • To be fair to Mr Busby, I don't think he got every decision wrong. A couple of times he was roundly booed despite having called things right. The trouble for him was that he'd already played too many one-note tunes on his shiny new whistle and he'd already made too many mistakes for his decisions to be taken seriously. 
    • If ticket prices are over £30, then I feel like McKee & Marques must owe everyone in the crowd a good tenner each for their bloody time wasting. 
    • "Your support is fucking shit" is a particularly poor choice of chant for a team who play in a stadium three sizes too big for them   

After

• It's going to be a really long season.
    • I'm not sure where we go from here. Neither the first-team proper, nor the precocious U23s we seem to be dependent on, have the necessary fire power for this division. It's still September and already we need reinforcements. I can't see us picking up suitable talent in the out-of-contract market, so it looks like we're stuck.
    • I don't know what Mr Sandgaard thinks he's doing, but whatever it is, it's not working.  

The best laid out long post ever, so much easier to read.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

They do track stats like touches in opposition half / opposition penalty area but I don't think that it's publicly available information. I would imagine we rank quite highly on those metrics too.

That is brilliant but only Ipswich, Portsmouth, Plymouth, Wednesday, Bolton, Cambridge, Peterborough, Slop, Exeter, Wycombe, Barnsley, Fleetwood and Derby have got more points than us.

What your really saying is Fleetwood are are really good team and it woyld take a great performance to get a point there on Saturday...
    But apart from that stats are really good…
  • Options
    With with all due respect , with his electric pace
    if CBT was making mazy runs and smashing three in from the edge of the box - which is where the chances were that he blazed wide last night , he wouldn’t be in Div 1. 
    CBT reminds me of Jairzinho (without the goals and heading ability).

Just imagine Garnerball at its best and CBT smashing home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiRnhixGyVY
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Conor McGrandles this season whipping boy?? FFS give him a chance.
    It was a really dire performance. Not writing him off, but that was as bad as I've seen. 
    I may have to watch a total match replay on Charlton TV, as I didn't notice him that much. I've certainly seen worse team performances than that (people of Twitter claiming it was the worst they'd ever seen).
    It might have been one of the most frustrating nights I've experienced, however.
    Honestly re-watch the game if you need to, his passing was short or sideways, he was out muscled and out paced consistently and didn't win a single tackle, fouled three times and got booked. He had 25 touches in 59 minutes. That's only 16 more than DJ who played...10 minutes!  
    Having re-watched it I agree that it’s weird how little involvement he had in the game. During the match I kept trying to see what he was up to, and it was like he was wearing camouflage. Most odd. 
    But he did come with a good reputation, so I’m not writing him off yet. Anyone who’s played football knows how it can take time to get back into your stride after time out. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Stig
    The Heineken thing in the CE was a temp thing i believe as there were issues with the lines. 
    I was working there Tue night for the catering company (don't usually but we were drafted in from St Marys as they were struggling for staff). 
    Believe the lager is due to be changed soonish to 2 other lagers. An Italian one and a Dutch one...
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Brother in law is Argyle and he usually watches the streams with me when Plymouth are away, it’s starting to get embarrassing…

again.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I would laugh as a look at his goal scoring record from midfield, not defence will tell you that wouldn't be a great idea. Players goalscoring records are there for all to see and it is quite rare for them to pick up significantly. Stranger things have happened but the players who might drastically improve are the ones who get lots of chances and miss a lot of them like CBT and it is why I was reluctant to give up on Gilbey. But I have absoluetely given up on Morgan. Clare is decent as a defender but useless to us as a midfielder who hardly ever scores and we don't even need to think about him being a striker.
  • Options
    Posting without reading the majority of comments. For 30mins we were good, then kind of ran out of steam. The keeper made an absolute howler to let them back into the game, but i still thought we'd compose ourselves, regroup and win the 2nd half. In fact we got worse, couldnt pass the ball 5yrds to each other and were all over the shop! Said afterwards that we need to grow some bollocks and learn to deal with setbacks like an individual error. We just fell apart which is a mental thing. Thought Payne looked good but that's the only real positive COYA 
  • Options
    paulg1947 said:
    With that belter of a goal against Plymouth ,perhaps Claire should be up front One can laugh, but stranger things have happened in football. And after all Sandgaards and co's ineptness in not replacing Washington. Indeed not signing any striker One can only try out things. with what we have got. I have to smile at the boo boys of last season-Quote, We need a clear out from top to bottom,Well now you have it lads, so suck it up.Save a miracle,what team has been sucessful without a designated striker? The nucleus is there, We just need another Taylor A Taylor we havn.t. So who is the fault for that ? I may have been called 600 years old (presumably for my outlook) and got 20 odd LOLs. Such disrespect for seniors But not for an old bag beeing dragged around London on a gun carriage,Give me a break
    You’re expecting the same level of respect as The Queen?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    paulg1947 said:
    With that belter of a goal against Plymouth ,perhaps Claire should be up front One can laugh, but stranger things have happened in football. And after all Sandgaards and co's ineptness in not replacing Washington. Indeed not signing any striker One can only try out things. with what we have got. I have to smile at the boo boys of last season-Quote, We need a clear out from top to bottom,Well now you have it lads, so suck it up.Save a miracle,what team has been sucessful without a designated striker? The nucleus is there, We just need another Taylor A Taylor we havn.t. So who is the fault for that ? I may have been called 600 years old (presumably for my outlook) and got 20 odd LOLs. Such disrespect for seniors But not for an old bag beeing dragged around London on a gun carriage,Give me a break
    worth a pop, he sure ain't a proper right back .. and when/if Egbo is fit, where does Clare, one of our few consistently good performers even out of position,  fit into the team ?
  • Options
    paulg1947 said:
    worth a pop, he sure ain't a proper right back .. and when/if Egbo is fit, where does Clare, one of our few consistently good performers even out of position,  fit into the team ?
    At right back....
  • Options
    ''Such disrespect for seniors But not for an old bag being dragged around London on a gun carriage,Give me a break''

Yeah lets hope you break your neck!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    2 away games in a row now. Our away form has been dreadful the last 2 years. Not picking up a win from these 2 could see us slide down the table towards the bottom 4 and Garner come under real pressure. He’s had his hands tied behind his back but I don’t think TS will accept being near the bottom 4. Can he afford to sack him though? 
    Sack him? Behave. If anyone should be binned off it’s TS himself. He’s left Garner with a squad deficient in certain areas, up front being the glaringly obvious one. Ben Garner deserves better. Three further additions and I honestly think we’d make top six but TS has blown it, that ship has sailed, and as a result TS will lose more money, make more cuts, spend less next window, lose more money, make more cuts, spend less next window, lose more money, make more cuts ......
  • Options
    paulg1947 said:

I think it might have been me that wished you a happy 600th birthday, but you realise I only said that tongue in cheek in response to you saying you'd supported Charlton for 60 decades?
  • Options
    paulg1947 said:
    I'd be delighted to give you a break. Name a time and place.
  • Options
    paulg1947 said:
    Why isn’t Clare a proper right back? As you say he’s a consistently good performer.
  • Options
    paulg1947 said:
    But not for an old bag beeing dragged around London on a gun carriage.
    Can't quite believe you said that Paul. 

Shameful mate.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    paulg1947 said:
    Why isn’t Clare a proper right back? As you say he’s a consistently good performer.
    yeah, little bit of an oxymoron .. he always looks good on the ball, passes OK, good work rate, BUT he just doesn't look that competent or comfortable as a right back, poor positioning, mistimed tacking (lots of bookings) , to me he just doesn't look right there