Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Forest Green Rovers | Tuesday 13 September 2022 7:45PM

Comments

• Options
    Frustrating is the word for tonight. You can see there are signs of a team in there somewhere but it just falls short. As Garner has said we are a work in progress and I think we are in for a lot more of this this season.

I also think those that keep banging on about a striker either are not watching the games or are legally blind. Anyone thinking placing a top class striker in that team tonight would have made a difference is mad. We were lacking out wide, mostly from wing back, Chin didn't have a good game and that was one of Clare's worst performances for a while.

There was also a massive hole in the number 10 role throughout, McGrandles had a shocker and Payne as good as he is drifts out wide often. I've been critical of him but we missed Fraser for those late runs into the box.

I'm going to ignore the ref's performance b cause as bad as he was I'm not sure it had any impact on the result as I did not see us scoring another goal if that was replayed 5 times.

Garner needs to work some magic with this squad, otherwise the promise will fade into a 12th place finish.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Conor McGrandles this season whipping boy?? FFS give him a chance.
    I'm all for giving the guy a chance, and I still think he will come good, but he looked like a fan who had won a competition to play for Charlton tonight. Even in the first half, when we looked good, he was crap
    You summed it up in your 1st sentence..Give him a chance.10/15 games then yes judge then.Dont judge him on 1 bad game and a few bit part games.
  • Options
    To play the style of football Garner wants to play, you need a decent level of composure.

We have none 
    And a quality striker or two….
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    CAFCsayer said:
    I'm all for giving the guy a chance, and I still think he will come good, but he looked like a fan who had won a competition to play for Charlton tonight. Even in the first half, when we looked good, he was crap
    What a shite competition to be entering, was it a masochist party?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    aliwibble said:
    Not criticising Miles Leaburn, but when his weakness is obvious against Forest Green, then you have to question his being a first team member. 
    I don't question him being a first team member, but he's not ready to lead the line, especially as a lone striker. Being successful up against a couple of horrible League One defenders requires experience that he just doesn't have yet.
    The Strikers need support... CBT and Rak-Sakyi pretty much hug the touchlines either flank, whilst Leaburn is in the exposed and alone in the centre - Both need to come closer, bit like when Payne was doing just that because else he's controlling it and then having to play a riskier long ball out wide.

Ironically the best attempt a Striker had for us tonight was when Rak-Sakyi drifted into the middle, linked up with Stockley who sadly continues to have a thing for striking / heading the ball straight at Goalkeepers
  • Options
    This really is all on sandgaard. Empty stands, empty performances, empty hopes.

I think I want him gone..... 
    and replaced by whom ? .. the previous owners saw Sandy coming and managed to offload us yet Dchatelet still kept the real estate .. who in their right mind is gonna pay Sandy for our club without getting the Valley and Sparrows in the deal ? .. answer.. another dreamer with big ideas and no cash
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Forest Green tried their best to lose but we just weren’t good enough to do it .
    I mean it’s pure shit 
    my hatred levels of this bunch of crap is ridiculous 
    I think I hate (mad football hate, I’m not serious you deep thinking touchy ones) every fucking one of our players 
  • Options
    This really is all on sandgaard. Empty stands, empty performances, empty hopes.

I think I want him gone..... 
    and replaced by whom ? .. the previous owners saw Sandy coming and managed to offload us yet Dchatelet still kept the real estate .. who in their right mind is gonna pay Sandy for our club without getting the Valley and Sparrows in the deal ? .. answer.. another dreamer with big ideas and no cash
    Not to mention Sandgaard no doubt got the club for about £1m (?) from Nimer when they managed to sell the assets rather than the Company which stopped us from being bled dry by ESI v2... Hell we all know the story.

Given the small investment from Sandgaard, he's no doubt gonna want more than £1m to bugger off, which'll be on top of however much is left on the Instalments for the Valley and Sparrows Lane
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    We dominated the first half for sure, but, on reflection that was probably thanks to FGR and Payne.

They had a 5 minutes spell where they showed they could threaten us, but with our early goal I'll guess that they changed tactic to sit back and try and hit us on the break, they threatened in patches and then  we decided to help them out and gift them the leveller. Payne, great looking player and everything positive came through him, we could  have been out of of sight first half but some poor  finishing and decesion making from other parts of the pitch let us down - so.... dominating but not really dominant.

Second half, fucking awful. We looked out of place all over the pitch and FGR had a decent 15-20 minutes after they realised they could actually beat us, we came back into it for the last 15 and repeated the first half performance. 

Played most of the game with one leg tied to the other as Connor Mcgilbeys was utterly pointless, no pace, no strength and with the combined first touch of Jason Euell and Alex Gilbey. Fell on his arse trying to control a ball, couldn't nick the ball off a downed FGR player, "skipped passed Mcgrandles". The player we've been missing... The player is missing more like. JFC will play more games than him this season. 

But I'll admit, he's so far of match fitness.
  • Options
    I don’t know if McGrandles is shit or not yet but tonight he was pony
  • Options
    I get the feeling that Garner is trying to find a combination up front that works. Not knocking Miles starting and he will learn from that experience. We are asking players like CBT to provide threat and goals, he does the first very well, the second not so well, if he learns composure maybe but not yet. I suppose one good thing to come out of the game is that Leaburn is not going to be sold anytime soon and I don't see anyone else in the squad who will prop up TS's tenure, poor bugger. 
  • Options
    Was Sandgaard there tonight? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    You summed it up in your 1st sentence..Give him a chance.10/15 games then yes judge then.Dont judge him on 1 bad game and a few bit part games.
    In those ten to fifteen games that you suggest then a young prospect will be ruined, Karlan Grant was an example of that and he became a whipping boy for a hostile crowd. Miles Leaburn was clearly out of his depth tonight and he needs to learn whilst not under pressure to produce. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Not criticising Miles Leaburn, but when his weakness is obvious against Forest Green, then you have to question his being a first team member. 
    I don't question him being a first team member, but he's not ready to lead the line, especially as a lone striker. Being successful up against a couple of horrible League One defenders requires experience that he just doesn't have yet.
    The Strikers need support... CBT and Rak-Sakyi pretty much hug the touchlines either flank, whilst Leaburn is in the exposed and alone in the centre - Both need to come closer, bit like when Payne was doing just that because else he's controlling it and then having to play a riskier long ball out wide.

Ironically the best attempt a Striker had for us tonight was when Rak-Sakyi drifted into the middle, linked up with Stockley who sadly continues to have a thing for striking / heading the ball straight at Goalkeepers
    Really the best two Rak-Sakyi had that header as well.

The problem with this team and last year and under Bowyer isnt the players are good enough. It's the players aren't the right ones, or blend of ones, to be better than the sum of the parts. 

Everyone of our players is better than the Forest Green equivalent.  We missed Kirk's delivery today but then you have to sacrifice the pace of CBT.

We can't get the midfield blend right.  How do you get Stockley to score goals?

All the injured players SS would make us a little bit better, it would give us more depth as well, Aneke would be dangerous off the bench.  But none of them would suddenly make us a much better team. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Terrible performance, no urgency little ability, looked disorganised, nothing up top and the usual clanger at the back.

No real leadership anywhere on the park.

Very depressing, going nowhere this year.

Starting to have major doubts about Garner, his tactic’s are so predictable.

Oh yeah and the ref was Sunday league football standard.
  • Options
    I look at what Steve Cotterill is doing at Shrewsbury and now think that Garner is not the man we needed .. Cotterill has been at a LOT of clubs, made a lot of mistakes, has learnt a lot and is a hard taskmaster who can still get the best from players who are not superstars, he knows how to set a team up for this League
    Garner got good results at Swindon last year, though they fell just short of promotion. The tactics and methods he used then seem unsuitable for us. It's true that Sandy has let Garner down by not paying to really strengthen the squad and the new signings have not so far been anywhere good enough. I am sure someone with a lot of experience, like Cotterill would have made a better fist of the playing resources currently available at the Valley 

Anyway, too late now
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    I get the feeling that Garner is trying to find a combination up front that works. Not knocking Miles starting and he will learn from that experience. We are asking players like CBT to provide threat and goals, he does the first very well, the second not so well, if he learns composure maybe but not yet. I suppose one good thing to come out of the game is that Leaburn is not going to be sold anytime soon and I don't see anyone else in the squad who will prop up TS's tenure, poor bugger. 
    What Jacko did with largely the same problem was to play two up front.
  • Options
    It is so frustrating watching a team who cannot do the basics correctly. I don't under estimate for a minute how difficult it must be to become a professional footballer but performances like tonight make you wonder what they do on the training pitch each day.

Our defending was almost slap-stick levels of comedy tonight, as it has been at other points in the season as well. We got away with it to a degree tonight (If you could getting a point at home against FGR getting away with it) but if we carry on in a similar theme teams are going to capitalise on it.

I say this without having any access to official stats to back it up but we must be near the top of the league in terms of how many times we turn the ball over to the opposition and lose possession.

Wollacott has saved us more points this season than he has cost us however he looked shaky tonight and hopefully he will put that clanger tonight behind him.

Mcgrandles seems to be getting some pelters already but the guy has to be given a chance, I can't say I've seen him play before he signed for us but he seemed highly rated at Lincoln. Although so did Gilbey at MK dons and look at how that turned out...

Dobson looked the best player on the pitch tonight, as usual. I'd be shocked if he's playing league one football next year.

Overall another really frustrating night and it already feels like the initial optimism at the start of the season has drained away, and we are churning out some pretty poor performances as well. It felt a very similar performance to those we saw at the back end of last season which is a real concern.

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    McGrandles was just dire, one of the worst performances i've seen of a player in a Charlton shirt
    Were you in the ground? If so where? He was tackling and passing well. Shouldn’t have got a yellow card but the ref was an extra man for the opposition. 
    No Stockley, so scapegoat needed. 
  • Options
    Gilbey scored the winner for Stevenage tonight.