Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UEFA EURO 2024

Comments

• 3am kickoff, work at 8am….. thankfully it’s exam week, so there’s going to be some serious napping in the staff room tomorrow. 

It can’t be worse than Denmark, can it?
    PS. It was.

Was so angry I couldn't get to sleep at all.
  • I would have been far happier to have been involved in a cracking 3-2 defeat and finished third than winning the group. At least then I could have seen wonderful positive posts on Facebook and CL... 

Shame we didn't sort out that suspect defence everyone was saying would see us out of the competition early before a ball was kicked. 
  • That yellow card took them level I read on disciplinary points. So the reason Denmark finished ahead of Slovenia was because they were above them in qualifying.

They were in the same qualifying group, and finished level on points. However Denmark were above due to head to head.

So the reason Denmark finished above Slovenia yesterday was because they beat them in a qualifying game in November.
  • https://x.com/bbcsportscot/status/1805268271093923852?s=46&t=ynww82GMl7VKBjthBflU0g

Thought they were going to break into the Benny Hill theme at any moment…
  • Wow... Im surprised that Denmark didnt try to get a deliberate yellow card or two, to avoid Germany.
  • edited June 26
    Group E at 5pm is a cracker, with all 4 teams on 3 points. If both games are drawn, Ukraine will finish bottom on GD and go home with 4 points!
  • Sponsored links:

• Leaving aside the enthusiastic Scotland support, maybe it’s just me but is there a lack of enthusiasm for this competition  in comparison to previous tournaments?  15 or 20 years ago you couldn’t walk up my street during the finals without seeing hundreds of flags in window or gardens or hanging out of car windows.  Events were planned in pubs and halls for weeks in advance. This year I’ve hardly seen a flag. I went to our local pub quiz last night rather than watch the England game and it was pretty busy. I was the only one glancing at the game on my phone. They were showing it on a big screen in the lounge bar next door and three blokes were watching. Has Southgate knocked the stuffing out of everyone?  Or is it just the Isle of Wight?
  • Definitely a lack of flags out on houses round here in Medway. Probably got about 4-5 maybe that I see walking down to my Son's school - I do wonder if its all seen as very Nationalist, which isnt exactly popular anymore
  • Leaving aside the enthusiastic Scotland support, maybe it’s just me but is there a lack of enthusiasm for this competition  in comparison to previous tournaments?  15 or 20 years ago you couldn’t walk up my street during the finals without seeing hundreds of flags in window or gardens or hanging out of car windows.  Events were planned in pubs and halls for weeks in advance. This year I’ve hardly seen a flag. I went to our local pub quiz last night rather than watch the England game and it was pretty busy. I was the only one glancing at the game on my phone. They were showing it on a big screen in the lounge bar next door and three blokes were watching. Has Southgate knocked the stuffing out of everyone?  Or is it just the Isle of Wight?
    Patriotism has been knocked out of England and it’s got fuck all to do with Southgate 
  • cafc4life said:

Is that the only Euro 2024 beer cup that hasn't been thrown onto the pitch?
    Looks like something worth keeping
  • Those are nice cups incidentally, definitely worth keeping one as a souvenir.
    Maybe it's because no-one thinks "it's coming home"? When we get enthusiastic about England everyone else in the world, everyone in England who doesn't like football, and every football fan who thinks that their club winning the Premier League is more important than the national team takes the piss when we lose, so a lot have given up?     
  • Austria are still 25-1, despite being in rhe good half of the draw and, you know, being good.

We're 9-2.
  • edited June 26
    Austria are still 25-1, despite being in rhe good half of the draw and, you know, being good.

We're 9-2.
    Whoever thinks we'll score nine goals, is on something
  • Sponsored links:

2018 was the last one that had a real atmosphere around the country. 
    Since then we've had COVID, cost of living crisis, culture wars and a general feeling of apathy. 

• Have they been showing the game in Boxparks or similar? I haven't seen any clips of fans watching the games in public places around the country this time.
  • Have they been showing the game in Boxparks or similar? I haven't seen any clips of fans watching the games in public places around the country this time.

Yes, fan zones in all the host cities. The Frankfurt one was very good, not so much the Gelsenkirchen one.
  • Think he means over here In England 

Ah - my bad.
    Correct. The fan zones in Germany look great, but I haven't seen the clips of large public gatherings over here we usually get. Scenes of people throwing overpriced beer in the air etc
  • Cost of living crisis, too expensive to throw beer.
  • Cost of living crisis, too expensive to throw beer.
    Also, lack of opportunities for England fans, unless you fancy chucking your pint about for a late substitution.