Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UEFA EURO 2024

Comments

• Options
    France won't want the QF to go to penalties.
    Indeed. Difficult to believe that they are struggling to find the net even more than we are - 3 goals scored in their last 5 games and not one from their own players in open play. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    England quality pens from Slovenia there....
    We've never had 3 Gareth Southgates taking them though...
  • Options
    After Pepe's error, the Slovenia striker had a one on one with the keeper with just minutes to go.
    "And Smith must score"

He didn't and the narcissist's team are in the Q-Final.

• Options
    Croydon said:
    If every one is playing like crap and lucking their way through, it could be anyone's tournament 

You didn't watch Spain ?
  • Options
    Bollocks 

This is what Jude was demonstrating by showing his had large ones after his overhead kick.
    It would be an absolute joke if he gets a ban.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Great saves but shite penalties 

Shit pens are Michael Gray's 👏🏼and the feeble attempt by Southgate🤷🏻‍♂️ in 96. 

• Options
    Loved that game, thought it was really entertaining. Great showcase of two top keepers. 

Regarding Ronaldo crying, are some of the reactions a bit harsh? Sorry to be all serious Sam, but there's all this stuff about men's mental health and being ok to cry etc. On here and social media there's a few comments saying about his age, grown man crying etc. 

I just think he's so obsessed and passionate about the sport it's just too much for him at times. It's why he has been so great. 

Again, I understand if that isn't a popular view, but I don't see anything wrong with a grown man crying.
  • Options
    Well France vs Portugal is going to be a game... Dont want to pick a winner though.
    France will win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Loved that game, thought it was really entertaining. Great showcase of two top keepers. 

Regarding Ronaldo crying, are some of the reactions a bit harsh? Sorry to be all serious Sam, but there's all this stuff about men's mental health and being ok to cry etc. On here and social media there's a few comments saying about his age, grown man crying etc. 

I just think he's so obsessed and passionate about himself it's just too much for him at times. It's why he has been so great. 

Again, I understand if that isn't a popular view, but I don't see anything wrong with a grown man crying.

I corrected one word to describe Ronaldo.
    He has been a fantastic footballer but you are so wide of the mark if you can't tell the difference between a narcissist personality and a guy having a metal health issue.

I have had the latter when all the plates come crashing down and life becomes a nightmare as you have so many work commitments and bills to pay. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:

I just think he's so obsessed and passionate about the sport it's just too much for him at times. It's why he has been so great. 

Can't speak for anyone else but to me it's not because he's a man who is crying, it's because he's a dickhead and it's always good when dickhead's aren't happy. 
    Yeah in this case, I think it's just personal 
  • Options

I think it’s the reality hitting him that he’s not even close to the level he once was. Wonderful athlete but his age is catching up to him.
  • Options
    edited July 2

I just think he's so obsessed and passionate about himself it's just too much for him at times. It's why he has been so great. 

He has been a fantastic footballer but you are so wide of the mark if you can't tell the difference between a narcissist personality and a guy having a metal health issue.

I have had the latter when all the plates come crashing down and life becomes a nightmare as you have so many work commitments and bills to pay. 
    I can tell when someone is having a mental health issue, had to deal with mental health situations more times than I can count. 

That wasn't really my point. There's a lot of focus on football around mental health, men's mh awareness etc. Yet people are shocked to see someone show some passion or have an outburst of emotion and cry. It's all 'he's a grown man, adult, look at him'. Yet another week it's 'men should be able to express themselves' 'you're not alone' 'speak up' etc.

Just a bit conflicting. I don't mind if someone wants to laugh at Ronaldo cause they don't like him personally, but I don't see why it's relevant that he's a man or his age why he's crying. 
  • Options
    edited July 2

I can tell when someone is having a mental health issue, had to deal with mental health situations more times than I can count. 

That wasn't really my point. There's a lot of focus on football around mental health, men's mh awareness etc. Yet people are shocked to see someone show some passion or have an outburst of emotion and cry. It's all 'he's a grown man, adult, look at him'. Yet another week it's 'men should be able to express themselves' 'you're not alone' 'speak up' etc.

Just a bit conflicting. I don't mind if someone wants to laugh at Ronaldo cause they don't like him personally, but I don't see why it's relevant that he's a man or his age why he's crying. 

What was relevent was not that he was a man crying in front of millions like Gazza and Andy Murray but he was crying while he still had 30 minutes to play plus pens because his giant ego couldn't accept he is human when he see himself as a godlike Adonis.
    His fans have fed his ego since he was a teenager.
    The winker enjoyed seeing Wayne Rooney sent off and what goes around comes around.

Plus he recovered to score his penalty and Portugal live to fight another day and Ronaldo lives to cry another day.

I agree the age of the footballer crying isn't relevent but if this happened with a female footballer crying during a game for missing a penalty then the Misogynists would've had a field day.
  • Options
    The difference between the Portuguese positivity and the English wailing and gnashing of teeth (me included). This is the facebook update of one of my Portuguese friends:

.... ok...!? Cristiano Ronaldo missed Penalty sure!!!!! What a great football encounter, for me it was the best European football game.. It was a shame there were no goals!!! But there was a final result from the Great Goalkeeper!!!! Attention!!!! It's a whole Portuguese team that until the last second and as long as there's a ball, we can't forget that it's round as long as it can roll.... Strength to the team... Thank you.... And attention the goalkeeper also counts..... and Sooooooo much....
  • Options
    If Portugal want to beat France they should bench Ronaldo but zero chance of that. He's counterproductive to the overall team currently. 
  • Options
    edited July 2
    Algarve, Portugal won the penalty shoot out so no comparison but good sentiments and agree the two keepers were excellent.
    Costa doesn't just relax and smell the coffee when he is waiting to face a penalty, he has a record of 35% success rate (100% last night) in his international career which is not too shabby.

Edited: Just seen that Costa has saved 10 out of 24 penalties in his Pro career which puts him at 40+ %
    Blimey that is pure Ambrosia; or you can call it a Latte.
  • Options
    If CR7 played for a Sunday morning team, he would get filled in.

By his own team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What was relevent was not that he was a man crying in front of millions like Gazza and Andy Murray but he was crying while he still had 30 minutes to play plus pens because his giant ego couldn't accept he is human when he see himself as a godlike Adonis.
    The winker enjoyed seeing Wayne Rooney sent off and what goes around comes around.

Plus he recovered to score his penalty and Portugal live to fight another day and Ronaldo lives to cry another day.

I agree the age of the footballer crying isn't relevent but if this happened with a female footballer crying during a game for missing a penalty then the Misogynists would've had a field day.
    Not relevant to these Euros, but Rooney was interviewed for The Overlap podcast recently, and he said for that game, the team plan was to get Ronaldo booked for diving and then sent off.
  • Options

Not relevant to these Euros, but Rooney was interviewed for The Overlap podcast recently, and he said for that game, the team plan was to get Ronaldo booked for diving and then sent off.
    Always a massive risk that though, as booking so rarely gets you a card... Let alone two of them in a game
  • Options
    If Portugal want to beat France they should bench Ronaldo but zero chance of that. He's counterproductive to the overall team currently. 
    I think that end of the field will be the least of their worries. The excellent Pepe got caught out a couple of times last night, his best days are gone but still a great player but will be up against better players. At 41 I think its fair to say he will get targeted by the French if he plays. 
  • Options

Always a massive risk that though, as booking so rarely gets you a card... Let alone two of them in a game
    Agreed and the plan massively backfired as Rooney was the one sent off instead. 
  • Options
    Apologies, I’m sure this will have been posted before. 

Charlton fan’s reaction to England’s Euros campaign:

https://x.com/iveaghgael/status/1807458199357751628?s=46
  • Options

The thing is, that's two separate areas of concern being crossed over. This isn't a mental health issue with Ronaldo where it's all got too much and the accumulation of his life's burdens have weighed him down, this is a petulant child openly crying because HE didn't do the goal and HE didn't win the game and HE doesn't have the record for being top scorer. There is an area of mental health to consider with Ronaldo, but it's narcissism. He's become so self-obsessed, so insular and so detached from the team sport he's supposed to be part of that he can only focus on his own role and the legacy and response that will come after the game. Yes, it's ok to cry, but that phrase doesn't refer to having public tantrums when things don't happen the way you want them to, that's the kind of thing any mental health professional would steer you very firmly away from. He's been doing it for a while now, wiping his crotch with an opposition shirt, cocking his fist at a referee that sent him off, grabbing his crotch when fans chanted another player's name, he's completely lost control of the part of his brain that regulates his emotions and he's having public tantrums regularly. The lad needs therapy for sure, but his immature, childish reactions to not getting what he wants shouldn't be conflated with the movement to encourage men to deal more openly with their depression, it's two totally different things.

👏🏼Garry for endorsing my point in your excellent post.
  • Options
    Am I the only one that burst out laughing when Ronaldo missed the penalty? I just watched the highlights of the match (I didn't know what had happened) and simply laughed uncontrollably when I saw his penalty didn't go in and his subsequent crying made me laugh even harder.... :D:D:D How can a player like that be worshiped as a leader? Like soapboxsam pointed out there was still 30 minutes to play! It was so effing embarrassing. He only cared about himself. Everyone else in the team was more mature than him. Garrymanilow has put it perfectly. He is a self-obsessed narcissist. 
  • Options
    The bbc enjoyed it as well 

• Options

The thing is, that's two separate areas of concern being crossed over. This isn't a mental health issue with Ronaldo where it's all got too much and the accumulation of his life's burdens have weighed him down, this is a petulant child openly crying because HE didn't do the goal and HE didn't win the game and HE doesn't have the record for being top scorer. There is an area of mental health to consider with Ronaldo, but it's narcissism. He's become so self-obsessed, so insular and so detached from the team sport he's supposed to be part of that he can only focus on his own role and the legacy and response that will come after the game. Yes, it's ok to cry, but that phrase doesn't refer to having public tantrums when things don't happen the way you want them to, that's the kind of thing any mental health professional would steer you very firmly away from. He's been doing it for a while now, wiping his crotch with an opposition shirt, cocking his fist at a referee that sent him off, grabbing his crotch when fans chanted another player's name, he's completely lost control of the part of his brain that regulates his emotions and he's having public tantrums regularly. The lad needs therapy for sure, but his immature, childish reactions to not getting what he wants shouldn't be conflated with the movement to encourage men to deal more openly with their depression, it's two totally different things.
    Although your post is good, and has good points, it's not on point with I'm trying to say.

I am talking about the general comments on here and social media. Mental health awareness has been pushed a lot lately, I understand Ronaldo isn't very well liked, but why is it comments of 'grown man' 'he's 39' etc. What does that have to do with someone being upset. 

So to be clear, I fully understand Ronaldo isn't a very likeable person, and he winds people up, but why is his age and the fact he's a grown man being mentioned, when there are normal nice men and women that age who cry. 

I just don't see the relevance and I've seen it all over social media. 

Probably doesn't matter now anyway and I've waffled as per. 

Some good games on tonight, looking forward to seeing who our potential future opponents could be.