Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UEFA EURO 2024

Comments

• Semi finals:

Tues 9/7: Spain v France

Weds 10/7: Netherlands / Turkey v England / Switzerland

Both games will kick off at 8pm UK time.
    Tues 9/7: Spain v France (BBC)

Weds 10/7: Netherlands v England (ITV)
  • Semi finals:

Tues 9/7: Spain v France

Weds 10/7: Netherlands / Turkey v England / Switzerland

Both games will kick off at 8pm UK time.
    Tues 9/7: Spain v France (BBC)

Weds 10/7: Netherlands v England (ITV)
    Oh man, ITV?!

We're doomed!
  • Turkey will be gutted they didn't take one of them chances at the end there. Was a fun game to watch. 

England Netherlands I can't call, we've been poor really but somehow have scrapped into a semi final. 
  • edited July 6
    The Turkey/Netherlands game was the kind of full-blooded football I like. A reminder that it is supposed to be entertaining. 
  • Turkey were involved in possibly the best 3 games of the tournament - v. Georgia, Austria, and now Netherlands.

The only other one I can think of that came close was Austria v Netherlands.
  • edited July 6
    The last two winners of the tournament (Italy & Portugal) each won only 1 out of 4 of their knockout round games in 90 minutes.

Italy: Austria (aet), Belgium, Spain (p), England (p)

Portugal: Croatia (aet), Poland (p), Wales, France (aet)
  • The last two winners of the tournament (Italy & Portugal) each won only 1 out of 4 of their knockout round games in 90 minutes.

Isn't this the first time there's been a round of 16?

So.... previously only 3 knockout games, no? - quarters, semis, final 
  • edited July 7
    The last two winners of the tournament (Italy & Portugal) each won only 1 out of 4 of their knockout round games in 90 minutes.

Nope... Been 24-teams since Euro 2016
  • edited July 7

Whoah.... I somehow still saw the "expansion" as new 

What.... and we've had the same format with 4 x 3rd place teams advancing?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 7
    It's an age thing, Siv. Everything that's happened since 1996 is new, as far as I'm concerned. And I don't like new things.
  • edited July 7

Whoah.... I somehow still saw the "expansion" as new 

What.... and we've had the same format with 4 x 3rd place teams advancing?
    Yup lol!... To be fair 2016 was only two Euro tournaments ago, which feels a bit surreal as well - Feels so much longer
  • Hopefully they’ll make it 32 soon. Will make it so much easier to split 32 into 16 and stop all this best third placed team nonsense.
  • Düsseldorf old town is party (beer) heaven!
  • JaShea99 said:
    Hopefully they’ll make it 32 soon. Will make it so much easier to split 32 into 16 and stop all this best third placed team nonsense.
    God no... UEFA only has 55 Members, more countries will qualify than not.

32-teams is ideal for a World Cup... 16-teams is ideal for something like the Euros
  • JaShea99 said:
    Hopefully they’ll make it 32 soon. Will make it so much easier to split 32 into 16 and stop all this best third placed team nonsense.

32-teams is ideal for a World Cup... 16-teams is ideal for something like the Euros
    The next World Cup will be 48 teams...
  • JaShea99 said:

No need to remind me!! :(
  • JaShea99 said:

68 games to get from 48 teams to 36...!
  • Sponsored links:

• the more games the merrier as far as I'm concerned 
  • The old Euros used to be ridiculously small, 8 teams between 1980 and 1992 and 4 before then! Just qualifying for it, never mind winning it, was a major achievement.
  • Did we ever get a player based on a tournament even in the PL days though?

Remember we had Jensen play at WCs etc but they were players already here?  Rommedahl maybe?

Often a fool's errand anyway, Poborsky, Diouf, Diou....
    Curbs interest in Radostin Kishishev started after Euro 96 and then the WC in 98 although he didn't sign until we went back up to PL in 2000
  • Breaking news...
    The referee for the England v Netherlands game is non other than German Felix Zwayer who was given a six month ban for taking a bribe many years ago.
    Jude Bellingham got a 34k fine in 2021 when at Dortmund he slagged him off for not giving Dortmund a penalty yet giving a less obvious pen to Bayern Munich in a match that they lost 3-2. Jude said what do you expect from that ref with his past.

Don't be surprised if Jude gets 2 yellows in this match 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Breaking news...
    The referee for the England v Netherlands game is non other than German Felix Zwayer who was given a six month ban for taking a bribe many years ago.
    Jude Bellingham got a 34k fine in 2021 when at Dortmund he slagged him off for not giving Dortmund a penalty yet giving a less obvious pen to Bayern Munich in a match that they lost 3-2. Jude said what do you expect from that ref with his past.

I don't see his appointment having any infleunce on the match.

That being said, it's insane that he's still refereeing, let alone at the Semi final of a major tournament. 

• Breaking news...

Jude can be a bit of a prat sometimes. 
     Shouldn't of brought up stuff about that ref when Jude himself was only about 5 years old. Especially when the ref was actually one of the ones who came forward to the authorities. (Though he did take 300 euro hush money at first.)

Just in case Felix gets a chance to read this I know as we all do Felix has integrity and won't let him, his country or the sport down. 
  • Felix Zwayer’s matches in the competition so far:

- Italy 2-1 Albania
    - Turkey 0-3 Portugal
    - Romania 0-3 Netherlands

The ref for the other semi will be Slavko Vincic of Slovenia who‘s overseen:

- Hungary 1-3 Switzerland
    - Spain 1-0 Italy

Sounds as if a decision will be made between Daniele Orsato of Italy and Syzmon Marciniak of Poland for the final.
  • edited July 8
    Dont Germans have a stronger rivalry with the Dutch than they do us

Be like having a Scottish Referee in charge of this one