Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UEFA EURO 2024

Comments

• France have been almost as bad as England, but I just have this nagging feeling they are going to bastard their way past Spain and then beat which ever soft option makes it to the final out of the other half of the draw.
  • France vs England anti-football final where both teams play 11 players on the edge of their penalty box and are only allowed to pass backward or sideways 
  • Portugal had the chances to win, but blew it. Poor finishing from both sides to be fair. 
  • "France players have scored 0 goals from 8.18 non-penalty xG at Euro 2024."
  • England and France to stumble and bumble their way to the final 👀
  • Semi finals:

Tues 9/7: Spain v France

Weds 10/7: Netherlands / Turkey v England / Switzerland

Both games will kick off at 8pm UK time.
  • French pens were unreal. They been shite tho.
  • edited July 6
    Might be the Pain killers and trying to watch lots of tennis as well but for the first time that I can remember I fell asleep and missed the whole game from HT, including the penalties 😴
  • Sponsored links:

• Spain win 2026 World Cup

England or Spain win 2024 Euros 
  • Portugal had the chances to win, but blew it. Poor finishing from both sides to be fair. 
    Honestly think they'd have won last night with a different player than Ronaldo up top.
    You may well have a point there Neil. 
  • Might be the Pain killers and trying to watch lots of tennis as well but for the first time that I can remember I fell asleep and missed the whole game from HT, including the penalties 😴
    I almost did too, but I blame the quality of football and not caring who won
  • CAFCsayer said:
    France vs England anti-football final where both teams play 11 players on the edge of their penalty box and are only allowed to pass backward or sideways 
    All the more impetus to get the authorities to review:

1. The offside rule.
    2. The backpass rule.
    3. The suspension / in game punishment system
    4. Drawn knockout matches
    5. Retrospective punishments (for feigning injury)
    6. Treatment of injured players.

I’ve been watching these tournaments for four decades and it’s so often been the case that the defensive or ’boring’ teams do best. It’s possible to win this tournament without scoring a goal. Isn’t that in itself wrong?

• Anyone else woken up this morning with a sense of dread for the game today ? Or will it be the real England that turns up ? 
  • Extra time and pens I reckon
  • If we're crap and go out, then it's horrible.

BUT it's far more devastating when we've gone out, having been the better team, e.g. in 1990 and 1996 when we would surely have won the finals. 
  • No chance we go through today 
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    England's odds will always be lower than some of us might think they should be because in England, more people will bet on England.

That used to be the case, not as much now with the global nature of online betting.
    Is that true?
    In France for example there are no betting shops and betclic are the biggest online provider. Do betclic’s algorithms impact Coral’s and Bet365's?

Isn’t it like streaming services? Deezer is the most popular in France and the number of likes for a song or band doesn’t influence the algorithms on Spotify, does it?

I was referring to the same company operating globally. bet365 for example are the biggest bookmaker in Spain, Italy, Brazil (I could go on...). Different companies will have different pricing models so there will be variance.
  • We play anything like the last 4 matches and we're out.
  • edited July 6
    AndyG said:
    Anyone else woken up this morning with a sense of dread for the game today ? Or will it be the real England that turns up ? 

I'm not sure any more what the real England is ?
    I will be more relaxed (liar) as I have enjoyed watching Switzerland and though I'm not a neutral fan 🙄 I may have a Yodel 🗣️ out of the upstairs window about Southgate being a big nosed Palace penalty missing prick(no, I can't move on)if we do an impression of the Alamo after scoring the 1st goal early doors but end up losing.

If we win and mount a few attacks with players going past defenders with skill and pace  I will put on my old waist coat and get my son to email Gareth's old pal Andy Woodman to pass on my thanks to GS that he is the Dog's testicles.
  • AndyG said:
    Anyone else woken up this morning with a sense of dread for the game today ? Or will it be the real England that turns up ? 

I'm not sure any more what the real England is ?
    I will be more relaxed (liar) as I have enjoyed watching Switzerland and though I'm not a neutral fan 🙄 I may have a Yodel 🗣️ out of the upstairs window about Southgate being a big nosed Palace penalty missing prick(no, I can't move on)if we do an impression of the Alamo after scoring the 1st goal early doors but end up losing.

If we win and mount a few attacks with players going past defenders with skill and pace  I will put on my old waist coat and get my son to email Gareth's old pal Andy Woodman to pass on my thanks to GS that he is the Dog's testicles.
    I’m the same mate and I think the vast majority of England fans also. So far we have been an embarrassment and a shadow of what we expected. Surely the players will step up today regardless of what the dickhead instructs them to do ? If we do the same today as previous games we go out and the players will have been mugged off.
  • I felt positive about changing to 3 at the back with Saka and Trent as wing backs. Now hearing this morning that it's likely to be Trippier instead of Trent....if true, that would be such a Southgate thing to do, urgh.
  • I felt positive about changing to 3 at the back with Saka and Trent as wing backs. Now hearing this morning that it's likely to be Trippier instead of Trent....if true, that would be such a Southgate thing to do, urgh.
    Why... Trippier is a decent Right-Back, just because he's been out of position over on the left, doesnt suddenly make him out as a bad Defender

He also knows how to defend compared to Alexander-Arnold if we need him to
    Why... Trippier is a decent Right-Back, just because he's been out of position over on the left, doesnt suddenly make him out as a bad Defender

He also knows how to defend compared to Alexander-Arnold if we need him to
    I appreciate it's all about opinions but Trippier really declined as an attacking threat in the second half of the season. I just think that having Walker as the right sided centre half to cover Trent when he goes forward gives us so much more attacking threat.
  • edited July 6
    Neither is ideal really... One is better in Defence, but shite going forward, the other is shite in defence, but better going forward.

Given Saka isn't a Wing-Back, I wont be surprised if we go forward a lot more on the left, than we do on the right. Meaning when we're on the ball, we're more of a back four with Konsa - Stones - Walker - Trippier.

Even if Saka gets caught out further up the pitch.
    And also if we're going to have 3 at the back I want someone alongside Kane.

No good having 4 central midfielders and Kane dropping deep, they'll all play in the same space.  Or Wingbacks crossing to no one as Kane has dropped off.

Need Watkins or Toney with Kane to push a defence back and give us space to play and a threat in the box.
  • edited July 6
    I felt positive about changing to 3 at the back with Saka and Trent as wing backs. Now hearing this morning that it's likely to be Trippier instead of Trent....if true, that would be such a Southgate thing to do, urgh.
    And also if we're going to have 3 at the back I want someone alongside Kane.

No good having 4 central midfielders and Kane dropping deep, they'll all play in the same space.  Or Wingbacks crossing to no one as Kane has dropped off.

Need Watkins or Toney with Kane to push a defence back and give us space to play and a threat in the box.
    Wonder if it'll be

Pickford
    Walker - Stones - Konsa
    Trippier - Mainoo - Rice - Saka
    Bellingham
    Kane - Foden

However I'd swap Foden for Watkins, who can potentially replicate the relationship that Kane had with Sterling.