Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Ipswich Town | Saturday 29th October 2022

Comments

• Options
    Not a lot more I can add, but two points, not seen raised.

!) What has happened to Woolacott? Ever since him spilling that cross for the FGR equaliser, he has been almost entirely rooted to his line. Used to come for everything. His kicking is also getting worse I feel. I know this is harsh but, there is an argument he could have done a lot better for all 4 goals yesterday and certainly MK's second on Tuesday.

2) I said it at the time, but I think Stockley's hip injury is a chronic one which is affecting his leaping and a loss of pace/mobility (if he ever had any!). In other words, he's not coming back to full fitness ever and we would do well to move him on, but can't see anyone taking him after a medical.
    Re 1) - keeping safe for World Cup?
  • Options
    Perhaps with CB a critical position and Stockley looking worse as a striker, put him at CB. He seems better with opposition crosses than ours 😁
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Perhaps with CB a critical position and Stockley looking worse as a striker, put him at CB. He seems better with opposition crosses than ours 😁
    I almost quite like this tbh. And we have two cup games to try silly stuff 
  • Options
    I can see a logic there but it falls down because we have no fully fit strikers.
  • Options
    Not a lot more I can add, but two points, not seen raised.

!) What has happened to Woolacott? Ever since him spilling that cross for the FGR equaliser, he has been almost entirely rooted to his line. Used to come for everything. His kicking is also getting worse I feel. I know this is harsh but, there is an argument he could have done a lot better for all 4 goals yesterday and certainly MK's second on Tuesday.

2) I said it at the time, but I think Stockley's hip injury is a chronic one which is affecting his leaping and a loss of pace/mobility (if he ever had any!). In other words, he's not coming back to full fitness ever and we would do well to move him on, but can't see anyone taking him after a medical.
    Re 1) - keeping safe for World Cup?
    Yes, I'm thinking it's to do with him being put off by the upcoming World Cup.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    ross1 said:
    I almost quite like this tbh. And we have two cup games to try silly stuff 
    Arthur Horsfield Mk2
  • Options
    Ipswich and Wednesday will be the top two
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Yes I know its a long way off but Charlton v Ipswich already looks nailed on for a play off final. 

They go two up and memories from the Valley in October start flooding.back and they crack.under the pressure. 

Dreams are free of charge..
    I thought that was DFS for the first 12 months 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't we have a 4-4 at their place or was it 3-3...?
    Tommy Caton pen towards the end.
    I was there but recollection is a bit vague.
  • Options
    john3 said:
    Jesus what a game. There 2nd goal was terrible on our part, letting them play the ball.

I don't think Ipswich were that great tbh. They have enough talent to do well enough but not the world beaters there made out to be. 

Left at 3-2 to my shame but what a result. There's a decent team here...need some holes plugged in January then who knows what we can do.

Edit: ref was quite honestly the worst one we've had. Fucking disgrace.
           Can you find a different word or name to use instead of Jesus please?
    Thanks.
    Plays for Arsenal, what's the problem ?
  • Options
    sm said:
    Lesson for their number 4, never give it large to the opposition fans until the game is over!  He must be soooo embarrassed.
    Strangely enough he didn't want to talk to us after the game, or even make eye contact the big coward? Shouldn't he have been booked for his provocative behaviour?
    What did he do ? He was only on the pitch for 5 bloody minutes. Tosser 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    By the way, who else was up at Portman Road that time we drew 4-4 there? I'm sure the scoring went the same way then too ...... 0-2 down, back to 2-2, 2-4 down and then 4-4 right at the death. I'm sure we got a late penalty - Tommy Caton?

Or have I imagined all that?
    You are correct,
    I was there and I remember it well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCEyTVwkXb8

Blimey Peakies Rocket !!! Seen about as often as Halley's Comet
  • Options
    In the cold light with all the euphoric feeling of that miracle point gained , 1 point from those two home games was worse than anyone would have expected after our brilliant run. 
    So annoying 
    two 0-0’s
    a 1-0 win and 0-5 defeat 
    would have been better .

You’ve all had your fun ,  the grim reaper has arrived to remind everyone that we’re 9th in League One , 4 points from the play offs having played a game or two more than the teams above us .
    Yes we know. But thanks for your input. Enjoy your life 
  • Options
    Didn’t go to the game because of having to be elsewhere at 5pm (we got there a bit late )
    Only in our fucked up household can a comeback lead to a load of agg .

i gave petrol head my iPad to watch the game on , why he geeked about on Xbox in his room 
    I’m downstairs with Peter Kay and boffin and little shit coming in and out to watch intermittently 
    everyone knows the rules shut the fuck up if you know a goal goes in on live score or soccer Saturday etc cos we’re on different timings .
    i didn’t know that when our first had gone in the mrs had gone and warned petrolhead don’t cheer they’re on a different time (we were 10-15 seconds behind his feed) but we can’t hear him from the room we’re watching in .
    then little shit messaged him by phone after second he wasn’t watching but could hear the different timed cheers , be quiet 
    as we went 2-4 down I turned the telly off but its fed by a laptop in another room which is nearer petrol head and we are watching laptop as we get ready to leave .
    little shit goes and tells Petrol head hurry up we’re all getting ready to go 
    3-4 
    me ,Peter Kay ,boffin and little shit are  downstairs watching the laptop as the ball gets to Fraser and he lays it out wide , you know what happens , there’s a cheer and yell  from Petrol head upstairs , we all look at each other as the ball is swung in and Dobbo heads in, we knew it was coming so the spontaneity was taken away but we all had a mad loop and then our attention turned to the fucking Wally upstairs ffs 

I actually didn’t know he’d been warned, he tried to claim oh but you were all getting ready to go , poor defence (just like Charlton and Ipswich)  and a lack of a sorry plus being told he’d been warned set me off on a more controlled than usual rant at the selfish twunt but we were all shell shocked that we’d won …and I reminded them that’s why you never leave early and don’t ever cheer unless you’re in the room with me again !!

thankfully my sisters , niece and nephew had used our tickets and stayed to the end and were buzzing their nuts off 
    Petrol head, Peter Kay, boffin and little shit....quality 
  • Options
    Ipswich in the semi final of the play offs is where we meet and beat them (1987 & 1998) 
  • Options
    There’s a great bit in this clip of one of the stewards going crazy!

Brilliant.

Noticed a ball boy on itv highlights going nuts n'all. Wonderful stuff 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Scored 1, set up 2
    Sometimes I think we're expecting Pirlo !
    Pirlo did it more than a few games a season. Don’t think anybody questions the ability, it’s the lack of consistency which prevents him from progressing. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Scored 1, set up 2
    Pirlo did it more than a few games a season. Don’t think anybody questions the ability, it’s the lack of consistency which prevents him from progressing. 
    It's also why he remains in league 1. If he had the consistency he'd be in the championship I am sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After 90 mins (a minimum of 6 mins additional time to be added )

ipswich goal 90.50
    restart 92.39

ipswich goal 93.57
    restart 95.15

Charlton goal 95.53
    restart 96.31

4-4 goal 98.15
    restart 99.30

Full time 99.45

the ball hardly went out of play in injury time maybe a couple of throws (not including time lost on them or free kick )
    the ball was only in play , if my numbers are right , for 4 mins 45 seconds because of goal celebrations …..

there’s time for another couple of goals!!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    supaclive said:
    Scored 1, set up 2
    It's also why he remains in league 1. If he had the consistency he'd be in the championship I am sure.
    It’s also why we may remain in league one cos we have too many league one players 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    supaclive said:
    Scored 1, set up 2
    It’s also why we may remain in league one cos we have too many league one players 
    Of course. So do you just buy up a championship squad risking penalties for financial fair play...

Or do you try to nurture the League 1 players with potential to step up to being at least promotion quality, whilst picking up the odd Championship player along the way?
  • Options
    If he needs anymore nurturing he’ll be in the Lisbie bracket of coming good 
  • Options
    I'm talking in general about the rest of the squad here.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Well it’s currently not good enough , we have to be wiser and obviously it all depends on what we can spend .
    we’re not that far off but we need better if we want a chance of going up 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Just don't believe Ben Garner will be backed in January, as can't see a Liz Truss U-turn from Thomas Sandgaard who has gone from a five year plan of European football for cafc to a five year plan of not going bankrupt. 
    This weeks award.
  • Options
    Not sure if anyone has asked this, but we’re any records broken yesterday ? 4 goals in injury time ? Team going 2 goals behind on 96 minutes and not losing?  Surely something here must be a first.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Watching the highlights back, and it made me think….How much better is football without VAR? Any spontaneity and fun would be sapped out of those ten minutes with that nonsense going on in the background.
    Excellent point !
  • Options
    I've watched this about 20 times and I still do a little scream inside.