Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Ipswich Town | Saturday 29th October 2022

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    A couple of people yesterday mentioned the Ipswich number 4 getting a dose of karma - was he giving it the biggun to the covered end or something?
    Read this a couple of times. What was he doing as I missed it?
    They go 4-2 up. As he makes his way back to his starting position he put his hands to his ears towards the Covered end and raised his arms after. Bloke to my left called him a James Blunt about 3 times as he was walking out the ground. 

Karma for you Edmundson. 

After their first he also celebrated the goal right up in Clare's face. In hindsight I am impressed with Clare for not reacting. At the time I thought he should go straight through him at the next possible opportunity.
  • Options
    Just finished my final scene last night & in the wings the stage manager says to me, ‘I must show you this photo’.
     I knew what was coming. Her best mate is a s/t holder in the Alan Curbishley stand.
    And there it was, another photograph with Ed Sheeran.
    Every Addick I know pretty much had a photo with him.
    Did the poor fella see any of the game?
    🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    Just finished my final scene last night & in the wings the stage manager says to me, ‘I must show you this photo’.
     I knew what was coming. Her best mate is a s/t holder in the Alan Curbishley stand.
    🤣🤣🤣🤣
    We didn't ! 

Granddaughter's favourite & she couldn't attend the match as had covid ! 

To say she was disappointed is a gross understatement.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    A couple of people yesterday mentioned the Ipswich number 4 getting a dose of karma - was he giving it the biggun to the covered end or something?
    Read this a couple of times. What was he doing as I missed it?
    They go 4-2 up. As he makes his way back to his starting position he put his hands to his ears towards the Covered end and raised his arms after. Bloke to my left called him a James Blunt about 3 times as he was walking out the ground. 

Karma for you Edmundson. 

After their first he also celebrated the goal right up in Clare's face. In hindsight I am impressed with Clare for not reacting. At the time I thought he should go straight through him at the next possible opportunity.
    Screen shot following Dobson's goal. 

Hands aloft, but not in a vindictive victory salute or a sarcastic cupping of ears.  No, this time firmly planted on his head ... and quite right too!

It fills my heart with joy. Shithouse.
  • Options
    is Ed Sheeran a cafc supporter or did he take a wrong turning on the way to the O2?
  • Options
    is Ed Sheeran a cafc supporter or did he take a wrong turning on the way to the O2?
    Ipswich fan. Sponsors their shirts
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Just re-watched the game online. What fantastic entertainment. If the team can keep that character this season we've a small chance. Will need strengthening in Jan, but an owner not supporting that would be a fool... Oh dear...
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Dave2l said:
    Is it just a coincidence sasa Illic was interviewed by Minto and curbs before the game...mostly reflecting on the 98 triumph 

And the Ipswich game finished 4-4

I know, it's not too much of a coincidence and stranger things have happened,  but a 4-4 scoreline is very rare in any match that has ever been played!

Happened vs Rochdale, Millwall, West Ham in my time supporting us, probably some others. Rare yes but it does happen now and again
    First one I can recall was away to Burnley (1976?), 4-1 up, ended 4-4....wasn't there but was listening to Scoop Burrowes' updates on LBC which had a certain grim inevitability about them. Those days we won loads at home but maybe twice a year away. But...those home games were some of the best Charlton moments ever. 
    Ditto. 
    I was, a Peter Noble inspired rescue for Burnley. I believe Andy Nelson blamed Geoff Hammond for all the goals, he had a habit of doing that, Bob Curtis at fault for all seven in 7-1 defeat at Luton, Les Berry at fault for Brighton's three in 4-3 win at home, Dave Shipperley al 5 goals in 5-5 draw with Bristol Rovers and he got rid of Jimmy Giles cos he thought he was shit, are you seeing a pattern here?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    🤣🤣🤣🤣
    We didn't ! 

Oh no!
    If I ever bump into him when he visits his Aunt (my neighbour) I’ll see if I can get an autograph at least.
    Hope she’s feeling ok? ♥️
  • Options
    🤣🤣🤣🤣
    We didn't ! 

Oh no!
    If I ever bump into him when he visits his Aunt (my neighbour) I’ll see if I can get an autograph at least.
    Hope she’s feeling ok? ♥️
    Oh, wow ! That would be great, thanks so much ! 

Her name is Pippa ....
    x
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Leuth said:
    Dave2l said:
    Is it just a coincidence sasa Illic was interviewed by Minto and curbs before the game...mostly reflecting on the 98 triumph 

I know, it's not too much of a coincidence and stranger things have happened,  but a 4-4 scoreline is very rare in any match that has ever been played!

Happened vs Rochdale, Millwall, West Ham in my time supporting us, probably some others. Rare yes but it does happen now and again
    First one I can recall was away to Burnley (1976?), 4-1 up, ended 4-4....wasn't there but was listening to Scoop Burrowes' updates on LBC which had a certain grim inevitability about them. Those days we won loads at home but maybe twice a year away. But...those home games were some of the best Charlton moments ever. 
    Ditto. 
    I was, a Peter Noble inspired rescue for Burnley. I believe Andy Nelson blamed Geoff Hammond for all the goals, he had a habit of doing that, Bob Curtis at fault for all seven in 7-1 defeat at Luton, Les Berry at fault for Brighton's three in 4-3 win at home, Dave Shipperley al 5 goals in 5-5 draw with Bristol Rovers and he got rid of Jimmy Giles cos he thought he was shit, are you seeing a pattern here?
    It's come up before on here, for a lot of us the early Nelson years were a golden era, but none of the then players have a good word to say about him! He had been a defender himself and seemed to blast his back four fairly regularly.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Leuth said:
    Dave2l said:

Ditto. 
    It's come up before on here, for a lot of us the early Nelson years were a golden era, but none of the then players have a good word to say about him! He had been a defender himself and seemed to blast his back four fairly regularly.
    It was said at the time that Andy Nelson bullied the life out of young centre back David Campbell, then still a teenager trying to establish himself in the 1st team.

It broke the lad and he quit football because of it.

• Options
    Christ. But it makes a warped sense. Bowyer ofc was a small, skillful midfielder, and we know who he liked to pick on. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Bailey said:
    Leuth said:
    Dave2l said:

Ditto. 
    It was said at the time that Andy Nelson bullied the life out of young centre back David Campbell, then still a teenager trying to establish himself in the 1st team.

It broke the lad and he quit football because of it.

I played with David in the same primary school team at Wyborne and his younger brother Neil - their Dad had played for Hearts. 
    Andy Nelson was a bully but maybe David thanks him now - he became a multi millionaire through deals in the insurance industry! 
  • Options
    Most of his family are Charlton supporters. 
    His uncle is a good friend of mine and was at the match. 
    He probably came to catch up with his uncle and cousins. 
    But unfortunately he is Ipswich. 
    His Auntie Bridget is Palace 😳
  • Options
    It is possible to more than one wrong'un in a family.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Most of his family sound fine to me.. ;)
  • Options
    As I left early I have watched the last 2 goals about 30 times on youtube - if you watch the last goal again have a look at the Steward to right of the goal by the stairway lower Covered End - he goes mental,  give that Man a payrise !
    My favourite thing about it having also watched a million times is Chucks reaction to equaliser , just collapses in a heap as if to say that’s i’m done 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Levelling in the last minute is always great fun
    That goes ten times over for Saturday
    It'll be papering over many familiar cracks though.
    Wollacott flapped ineptly at crosses and was beaten tamely from range.  His opposite number was even worse, proper pony, more on whom later.
    Garner lined up with 5 at the back, Egbo and Clare all at sea with who was supposed to be where and doing what.
    Stockley was completely isolated with nobody in red within 30 yards.  Kirk given his familiar hiding place on the left.
    They pissed around with it relentlessly at the back inviting danger and Ipswich ever further up the pitch, we offered virtually nothing in the first half.
    Egbo's injury was unfortunate but Garner throws Morgan on to the same role - what manner of insanity makes him think Morgan's got any of those tools?
    Debutant Thomas up to this point looked alright.
    Ipswich missed a sitter after defensive idiocy.
    O'Connell's injury heaped insult upon injury.  Lavelle in theory at least a like for like replacement.  They still pissed around with it at the back, leading to the corner that led to Edmundson's unchallenged header, unless Wollacott's flappery is considered a challenge.
    To his credit (!) Garner sent the team out 2nd half in a not stupid formation and we were occasionally on the front foot until the shameful referee intervened to award Ipswich a baffling free kick and the linesman ignores John-Jules being a metre offside.
    Garner loses his shit and gets sent of for childish petulance.  No he mightn't have sworn or "been aggressive" but the clapping that got the 2nd yellow was juvenile.
    The toddler tantrum up the touchline was risible.  The gesturing back at the officials will get him further sanction.  Seems he knows his audience tho cos the Covered End took up the cudgels and noisily berated the officials and any tractor boy who laid down or showed off.  Of course slating the ref never actually works, he's already decided to swing the game and us giving him dog's abuse just makes him worse.
    Garner's dismissal proves the turning point.
    A&Eke and CBT's introductions added pace and energy.  They couldn't fail to improve things after a classic Kirk shirk and Stocker's absence of service.
    The atmosphere seemed to get to the Curbside lino, cos he totally ignored Chuks's blatant foul in felling the tractor boy en route to our first goal.  We were owed one but it was just as crap officialing as the rest.
    Surprise surprise moving the ball forwards, running with it and trying a few crosses put Ipswich under pressure.  Red shirts actually in the box and blow me down we have chances, the shitty Ipswich goalie spills a couple and we've equalised.  Ben Garner please note, goalscoring requires attacking football.
    14 minutes of action, 2 goals for the home side and A&Eke was done in, out on his feet.  How is that possible?  He barely registered again until the 95th minute.
    Fraser by this time was also a passenger, barely nuisance value.  80 minutes on Tuesday and he's toast after 75 on Saturday, is not good.
    Lavelle's not played much but how was he shagged out so early on?  50 minutes and his feet are lead, conceding Ipswich's 3rd as a result.
    Fitness is a major issue for far too many
    The one bloke who's hardly affected is the one bloke who's still giving it everything after 100 minutes.
    Step forward the giant amongst men George Dobson.  He's even got enough going on to lob the (shitty) goalie, with his head, from 6 yards.
    If Walton was slightly closer to being a capable goalie, Ipswich win that comfortably.  Charlton's 4 goals came from an aggregate of 10 yards and 2 of them he's directly at fault.

We're 17 games in to Garnerball.  It's mostly been dreary theory that's spluttered almost to mediocrity.  He had a 3 game experiment that brought goals and victories but reverted to the witless drudgery that gave away a game to the worst team in the division and then as good as handed a better team a win they should never have passed up.  The game and a point were saved by the abandonment of Garner's dimwittery. 
    Your just a WUM aren't you? 

There is zero logic to anything you say and quite frankly, you are ridiculously irritating.
    Nobody forces you to read it.  It's your time
    Mine not winding anybody up just downloading what I saw
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    The video of 8 minutes of stoppage time came up in my recommended videos on YouTube so I watched it…

I’ll say, despite some tired legs playing a part, there are very clearly two players  in red who were in large part responsible for the Ipswich goals.

And we’ve upgraded on both. Happy days.

https://youtu.be/A1BcrAByBqw