Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Ipswich Town | Saturday 29th October 2022

Comments

• Options
    Watching the highlights. The ease in which Lavelle is turned for their 3rd is criminal. 
  • Options
    I think the people who give Stockley very low marks are wrong. Admittedly he is a relatively limited League 1 striker but the poor guy has to play up front virtually on his own. He gets no support at all from Kirk ( who is useless) and precious little from Rak Saki. He won quite a lot of headers today but its pointless because there is no one near him to help or take advantage. Also he is very important defensively because he is the 2nd best after Inniss at clearing headers. 
    The other point is that the reason Aneke is so effective when he comes on is because the defenders are tired partly from their physical battle against Stockley. 
    Agree with this to an extent. Aneke is so strong I think he would be a handful at the start of the game as well at after 60mins. I can’t see Stockley having the same influence off the bench. 

What we really need is a John Jules sort of player to play 60 mins and then release Chuks. For all of his efforts Stockley doesn’t have the pace to shut down the keeper and back four for a high pressing game. 
    Surely, it's where the promising Miles Leaburn would have gradually asserted himself as the season progressed?

Such a shame the lad is out with injury.

• Options
    Bailey said:
    Leuth said:
    I reckon there's a shout of Morgan at right-back vs Coalville, just in case we need another option there. He did it against Plymouth! With everyone else dropping like flies, our many midfielders aren't. They may have to do a job elsewhere 
    I can't agree with that one Leuth. Quite simply if Albie added defensive nous to his game, he would be looking at a move to a higher division at some time. Ipswich were strong down our right-hand side and in that first half Albie could not keep up with their give and go movement, Albie's lack of defensive understanding is what's holding him back.
    And second half Morgan and RS left Clare  exposed to their advancing number 3 time after time. Luckily his crosses were crap.
  • Options
    Sooo frustrating that we haven’t got a league game now for 2 weeks, feel like we could really kick on now after that.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I know he hadn't been particularly great in the game apart from scoring our 2nd, but Morgan is getting some very low marks considering he had to deliver not one but two perfect balls to dig us out of that one, and did 

And even before added time, his overall play was far better once CBT and Aneke came on, as he had runners ahead of him to pick out instead of statues.
    He also moved to a more central position, hence being in the right place for his goal.
  • Options
    We left at 4-2 but came back for the tunnel jumps. Was it Mckenna who did a Klinsmann slide on the pitch when their third went in? It was one of their team? Not a big fan of his either way. Very easy to spend, spend, spend in League1, their quality on the bench? But some of their football was poor for a top 2 side. Still think if O' Connell stayed fit they would not have scored either of their first 2 goals, he had been very dominant in the air in our box along with Stockley.
    The reality when you come down to earth again is that 2 more injuries will hurt us so much with our paper thin squad. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I personally believe this game will turn the season around.

When still fighting tooth and nail from the 93rd minute to snatch a point, even though it appeared borderline impossible...that is when you know you have some team spirit and they'd give everything they've got.

Most teams would give up when in that position and heads would instantly drop. They'd just wait for the final whistle. 

If stockley was on form and getting on the end of stuff, then Charlton would be flirting with the play offs like you'd never believe. The chemistry for 6th spot would be out of control!

In all seriousness,  Stockley likely has some self doubt and might want to move, and we might now want to replace him. 

But if we get the best out of him again then it will be a worthy addition. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Surely there also needs to be some movement out as well. The JFC situation has to be resolved, and even without him we're overstocked in midfield, with Henry unlikely to sign a new deal if he can't even get on the bench.
  • Options
    Our injury "luck" again!
  • Options
    Sooo frustrating that we haven’t got a league game now for 2 weeks, feel like we could really kick on now after that.
    Coalville had better watch it then 😄
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Just don't believe Ben Garner will be backed in January, as can't see a Liz Truss U-turn from Thomas Sandgaard who has gone from a five year plan of European football for cafc to a five year plan of not going bankrupt. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I can see how we could be in a position to have a go in January, but it would surprise me if we had a go. I doubt many are more positive. I would love Sandgaard to prove us wrong.
  • Options
    Was filming yesterday so couldn’t attend what sounds like a cracker. When might a replay be available on CharltonTV - does anybody know? Cheers
  • Options
    Was filming yesterday so couldn’t attend what sounds like a cracker. When might a replay be available on CharltonTV - does anybody know? Cheers
    Full match replay should be up on Charlton TV tomorrow.

Simon Webster was with Scotty and Curbs and there was a chat with Sasa Ilic.
  • Options
    Full match replay should be up on Charlton TV tomorrow.

Simon Webster was with Scotty and Curbs and there was a chat with Sasa Ilic.
    Thank you!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Just don't believe Ben Garner will be backed in January, as can't see a Liz Truss U-turn from Thomas Sandgaard who has gone from a five year plan of European football for cafc to a five year plan of not going bankrupt. 
    Sandgaard did state that the focus and I'm assuming money would be on the first team and in the January window. He also stated that the January window is notoriously difficult. Well, he's definitely right on the second part and as in the summer, bold words do not get deals over the line for the first statement. We definitely need a left sided defender and obviously a forward, but I think loan deals out or maybe free transfers, in the case of JFC, are likely with loans coming in, I don't think TS will splash the cash again. 
  • Options

Their 2nd was off side.
    It's extremely tight and noticeable Charlton's players barely appealed for it.  However would fans prefer goals like this to be ruled out by a millimetre on VaR but then lose the unbridled joy of a last gasp equaliser wondering if there might be a check that rules it out? (see Spurs on Wednesday night)
  • Options
    Well, that was a totally bonkers game of football and reminds us all why we keep coming back no matter how bad things get! I always stay to the bitter end, and certainly glad that I did. Four goals in stoppage time is just mad. I don't recall ever seeing that before.

The first half was fairly dull and we held our own and were unlucky to concede just before half time. I am not sure we would have conceded if O'Connell was still on the pitch. Both first half injuries were to key players, and having conceded that goal I feared the worst.

The second half certainly came to life. Like many, I thought after Ipswich went two up that we would cave in and end up losing by 3 or 4. How little faith I had. The team battled amazingly well right to the end and never gave up. It all changed when we brought on Aneke and BT. Both had a huge and immediate impact that lifted the whole team. Morgan seemed to raise his game massively when they came on.

I am not sure the way we set up in the first half was great. I would have preferred Egbo at right back. Poor Stockley was left totally isolated up front for much of the time he was on the pitch. I am not sure if that was down to him or the fact that he was so isolated. He was even having to chase his own flick ons! He desperately needs a goal and I really hope he gets one soon. He needs it and so do the team. Kirk had a poor game and never got into it. I thought he had looked better in his number 10 role, but playing our wide much of the game just passed him by.

If the injuries are as bad as they looked, then we are down to the bare bones. Our thin squad is going to be under pressure for the next few games. Hopefully if the team can find that same fighting spirit we may be able to overcome these difficulties.
  • Options
    For their 2nd, you can see he is a full body offside before the fella out wide has even kicked the ball. Wasn’t even close 

Would say it’s hard to believe but the way the officials have performed this season, it’s absolutely not.

Can’t remember a season where we’re only a third of the way through it and there’s already been numerous massive game changing decisions made incorrectly.
  • Options
    For their 2nd, you can see he is a full body offside before the fella out wide has even kicked the ball. Wasn’t even close 

Would say it’s hard to believe but the way the officials have performed this season, it’s absolutely not.

Can’t remember a season where we’re only a third of the way through it and there’s already been numerous massive game changing decisions made incorrectly.
    ??   The players' position is irrelevant before the ball was kicked by the wide player.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    To me the still captures the moment the ball is kicked and he’s a full body ahead of everyone else. It’s not a close call and should’ve been flagged. Completely understand why Garner blew up the way he did now.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    You can rock and roll the clip below in slow motion once and determine the bloke was offside before the ball was kicked, when the ball was kicked and after the ball was kicked. It wasn’t yards but the lino was looking straight at it and at this level, should’ve caught it.

Maybe he was too busy trying to spot Ed Sheeran in the Curbs stand…

• Options
    To me the still captures the moment the ball is kicked and he’s a full body ahead of everyone else. It’s not a close call and should’ve been flagged. Completely understand why Garner blew up the way he did now.
    I’m not sure Garner would have known it was offside from his position off the pitch. I think he blew his top when the free kick was given.