Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stockley banned for 3 games

Comments

• Options
    I’m simply astounded by this thread but I wont engage with this apparent majority opinion. But I would ask you all to stop slagging one of our own players for a moment and ask yourself a more important question.

How exactly did the FA get to review this offence? As far as I can recall it is absolutely unprecedented. It was not seen by the ref. Was it the 4th official? If so why exactly was this one raised for retrospective review when we can all think of loads of serious incidents on the streams which never got this scrutiny, because they were not pored over on MOTD. These include challenges on our players which result in them being taken off and then missing games. 

FFS. Indeed.
    Dominic Blizzard on Grant Basey for instance
  • Options
    I think they should copy the way the NHL announces supplementary discipline. Not just an announcement, but a short, normally 2 minute video, showing the offence and explaining why the suspension was given. 

I’m not saying he didn’t do it, but I agree with the previous post, that bit of video really doesn’t clearly show anything. If they have other video, they should show us.  
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I’m simply astounded by this thread but I wont engage with this apparent majority opinion. But I would ask you all to stop slagging one of our own players for a moment and ask yourself a more important question.

How exactly did the FA get to review this offence? As far as I can recall it is absolutely unprecedented. It was not seen by the ref. Was it the 4th official? If so why exactly was this one raised for retrospective review when we can all think of loads of serious incidents on the streams which never got this scrutiny, because they were not pored over on MOTD. These include challenges on our players which result in them being taken off and then missing games. 

FFS. Indeed.
    Dominic Blizzard on Grant Basey for instance
    Hell, yeah. And that **** Muscat on Matty Holmes. 
  • Options

FFS. Indeed.
    Can you be cited by the oppo ? 
  • Options
    Stockley "admitted that his actions constituted violent conduct". Surely that tells us all we need to know.
    Damage limitation...Not allowed to say "not guilty" to the God that is the FA, or they will just slap another game onto the ban
  • Options
    I honestly love Chuks, and watching him play, but this again shows the folly of bringing in a player who can't start matches (even if he is absolutely next level off the bench).

The moment you get a couple of injuries or suspensions - which is very much par for the course when you play this many games over a season - then you end up in a position that unless you have a quality surplus striker you are then needing him to start or relying on playing players out of position.
    Chuks was brought back to play as an impact sub.
    That's a role in itself in which Chuks has excelled.

Accepting that (and evidently the player himself and coaching staff do), the folly is the lack of an additional experienced striker in the squad.
    Plus the expectations that a raw 18 year old could fill the role - anyway, himself currently long term injured.

If the thinking was we could start the season a striker short in the squad, change the system, and escape suspension and injury ...... it may have saved  money but has cost us dearly on the pitch.

We are a striker short in the squad. That's the real issue here.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Stockley "admitted that his actions constituted violent conduct". Surely that tells us all we need to know.
    Yeah. 100%. He'll know what he meant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    So here is a good video clip from Twitter.

And I have a question for you all. Try and answer rationally. The ball goes back to the Vale keeper. Stockley wants to chase it down. That is what we want and expect, right? And what does the Vale defender whom Stockley catches with his arm, do just before that? He turns into Stockley. Does he do that accidently, because never for one minute did he expect Stockley to go chasing after the ball? 

These 2 players were at it the entire time - plenty of niggles, nudges and sly kicks. You get those sort of running battles at all levels of football. Always have done.
    For example off the top of my head, think Derek Hales, Jason Pearce and their opposite number. It's what managers call, "Winning your personal battles".

These 2 players were already wound-up with each other. Clearly the CB bodychecks Stockley's run and Stockley has intended to retaliate.
    There's the offence, which Stockley himself has admitted.

IMO I doubt whether Stockley has intended to elbow the CB in the head, more probably the back or body, but nevertheless the intention of physical retaliation appears to be there.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Croydon said:
    I am obviously in the minority here but I think many of the snide comments re JS are appalling and way out of order.
    Isn’t it enough to just say he’s having one hell of a lousy season without irksome smart arse slagging off comments.
    I feel sorry for all concerned, none more so than Stockley himself.
    He performed very well for us last season, scoring 20 + goals I believe.
    His lack of form is horrendous, leaving aside the change in our set up he should still be putting a few chances away here and there at the very least…..but no, he’s not even winning heading duals, something that he excelled in last season.
    I can’t begin to think what’s gone wrong with him…..but I’m dammed if I am going to heartlessly slag him off, especially when last season he was something of a hero for us.
    Whether or not he will ever regain his form is debatable, if not I and many others will be left wondering just what went wrong in such short a period of time?
    I am certain he himself is bewildered and very disappointed, I suspect he doesn’t know the answer either as to how this has come about.
    I for one am not going to insult and slag off the fella who had us out of out seats 20+ times last season and his name being chanted on many occasions.
    Let’s just say it’s a sad situation, which we can only hope gets better for everyone’s sake.

If his reaction to being in poor form is to swing elbows and stamp on people then he deserves all the criticism he gets. Captains are meant to lead by example, so what the fck is he doing?
    I haven’t referred to the incident you’ve mentioned, I am talking about his current form in general and peoples reaction and bad mouthing of him as a result of that.
    The fact he has a three match ban is neither here nor there and is a completely different subject matter.
    Incidentally, last time I looked my post had 31likes.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    kafka said:
    What did he do? Must've been asleep at that point
    As I said on the other thread, he stamped on someone's head, and you could see him do it too
    It's an elbow 

imageimage
    It was meant to be his arse. But he got mixed up.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Croydon said:
    I am obviously in the minority here but I think many of the snide comments re JS are appalling and way out of order.
    Isn’t it enough to just say he’s having one hell of a lousy season without irksome smart arse slagging off comments.
    His lack of form is horrendous, leaving aside the change in our set up he should still be putting a few chances away here and there at the very least…..but no, he’s not even winning heading duals, something that he excelled in last season.
    I can’t begin to think what’s gone wrong with him…..but I’m dammed if I am going to heartlessly slag him off, especially when last season he was something of a hero for us.
    Whether or not he will ever regain his form is debatable, if not I and many others will be left wondering just what went wrong in such short a period of time?
    I am certain he himself is bewildered and very disappointed, I suspect he doesn’t know the answer either as to how this has come about.
    I for one am not going to insult and slag off the fella who had us out of out seats 20+ times last season and his name being chanted on many occasions.
    Let’s just say it’s a sad situation, which we can only hope gets better for everyone’s sake.

If his reaction to being in poor form is to swing elbows and stamp on people then he deserves all the criticism he gets. Captains are meant to lead by example, so what the fck is he doing?
    I haven’t referred to the incident you’ve mentioned, I am talking about his current form in general and peoples reaction and bad mouthing of him as a result of that.
    The fact he has a three match ban is neither here nor there and is a completely different subject matter.
    Incidentally, last time I looked my post had 26 likes.
    I often think us Charlton fans are too nice to the players tbh. Anyone in that red shirt is assumed to be working hard these days. You used to earn that accolade, now it's given.

It's come out of two managers now that there have been "professionalism and discipline" problems in the squad and yet reading this forum over the past few years, if you'd suggest some of the squad are unprofessional you'd be stamped on for dishing out personal abuse.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Incidentally, last time I looked my post had 26 likes.
    Fellow lifers have given Stockley an average of 5.46 so far this season. The vast majority on here know their football so in that respect he’s having a poor to average so far. 

Always a good guide to look at. 

Also when things don’t go Stockley’s way you see that frustration which has now led to a 3 game ban
  • Options
    Well at least people actually looking at the incident has helped restore some balance. I think @Oggy Red summary above is a good one.

My POV is that if the ref had seen it as a deliberate elbow and dismissed Stockley I’d have no complaints. And I agree that especially as a captain Stockley lets his team down with his petulance.

Fact is though, we don’t know, because we are not allowed to know,that the ref didnt see it. We dont know if the ref has been involved in this revision, and if so, whether he agrees with the revision. We don’t know who initiated this, or why. As far as I recall from the stream the PV player went down but needed no treatment, and at the time none of them were in the ref’s face. Had all that happened I might have also been ready to accept Vale complaining, as we’ve done before in serious cases. But it looks like nothing, so if someone from Vale initiated that, that someone is a ———-. It’s the murkiness of it all, like so much in football, that pisses me off, and I dont know why we put up with it so easily.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Oggy Red said:
    I honestly love Chuks, and watching him play, but this again shows the folly of bringing in a player who can't start matches (even if he is absolutely next level off the bench).

The moment you get a couple of injuries or suspensions - which is very much par for the course when you play this many games over a season - then you end up in a position that unless you have a quality surplus striker you are then needing him to start or relying on playing players out of position.
    Chuks was brought back to play as an impact sub.
    That's a role in itself in which Chuks has excelled.

Accepting that (and evidently the player himself and coaching staff do), the folly is the lack of an additional experienced striker in the squad.
    Plus the expectations that a raw 18 year old could fill the role - anyway, himself currently long term injured.

If the thinking was we could start the season a striker short in the squad, change the system, and escape suspension and injury ...... it may have saved  money but has cost us dearly on the pitch.

We are a striker short in the squad. That's the real issue here.

I get the idea of having an ‘impact sub’, and having people that can come off the bench to change a game. I also agree that we are a striker short, especially now we have moved to 2 up top, and even made clear which attacking players I would have liked us to bring in during the transfer window. 

But can you name me one other player at any other club who is an ‘impact sub’ solely because they can’t play 90 minutes or start games as and when required? Which is likely going to happen, no matter what depth of squad you have over a season of 50+ games. 

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Well at least people actually looking at the incident has helped restore some balance. I think @Oggy Red summary above is a good one.

My POV is that if the ref had seen it as a deliberate elbow and dismissed Stockley I’d have no complaints. And I agree that especially as a captain Stockley lets his team down with his petulance.

Fact is though, we don’t know, because we are not allowed to know,that the ref didnt see it. We dont know if the ref has been involved in this revision, and if so, whether he agrees with the revision. We don’t know who initiated this, or why. As far as I recall from the stream the PV player went down but needed no treatment, and at the time none of them were in the ref’s face. Had all that happened I might have also been ready to accept Vale complaining, as we’ve done before in serious cases. But it looks like nothing, so if someone from Vale initiated that, that someone is a ———-. It’s the murkiness of it all, like so much in football, that pisses me off, and I dont know why we put up with it so easily.
    He elbowed someone in the face, the incident has been identified, the offending player has been charged and he has admitted to the charge. That says to me the system works - a player who committed a transgression has been punished. I honestly think you’re barking up the wrong tree. 
    Except that it doesn’t, as Terry Smith’s showreel of shit would easily prove. It’s not a system. A system has an automatic, clearly defined process. In which case there should be no problem for the FA to reveal exactly how it works, when and how it is triggered. This is just ad hoc. Somebody knew how to press the FA’s buttons. If I thought I’d get an answer I’d write and ask them to explain it, but if I’m lucky I’d get a template answer signed by an unpaid intern. 
  • Options
    I’m with Prague on this - how many times has this actually happened - who complained- what about the other gazillion offences that go on in all 4 divisions every week - why our ( only) forward 
    I think it’s a ridiculous decision whether he did it of not 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So perhaps now we can all agree it was folly not to sign at least 1 striker in the summer.

Oh how ye all mock. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    So perhaps now we can all agree it was folly not to sign at least 1 striker in the summer.

Oh how ye all mock. 
    Well done.
  • Options
    I’m with Prague on this - how many times has this actually happened - who complained- what about the other gazillion offences that go on in all 4 divisions every week - why our ( only) forward 
    I think it’s a ridiculous decision whether he did it of not 
    Why our only forward? Because our only forward elbowed somebody in the face 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Chunes said:

Oh how ye all mock. 
    The whole site wanted another striker. The whole fanbase. I'm worried that you can sit there in your chair and think it's just you and everyone's against you.
    To repeat a well used classic CharltonLife meme it’s beyond parody. 
  • Options
    Every cloud….
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Told you all we should try to win more games this season

You all mocked me

Who's had the last laugh now
    Do you remember the number of people that said it was a good idea to play midfielders turned right backs at left back?

Only the true genii picked up on that one.