Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread (+POST p 10): Charlton Athletic vs Stockport County (FACR2) | Sat 26th Nov 2022

Comments

• Options
    Said with @Simonsen at half time. The West Lower was that empty yet the concourse still wasn’t easy to walk through. Must have been impossible to move in the days that it was full. 
  • Options
    Said with @Simonsen at half time. The West Lower was that empty yet the concourse still wasn’t easy to walk through. Must have been impossible to move in the days that it was full. 
    Definitely won't be much fun for the Brighton game. Think I'm definitely going to wait to see if the club at least open the West Upper before committing. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    So, Aneke manage to last 60 mins & we scored 2 goals whilst he was on the pitch. Once he was subbed we didnt score again but conceded. 

Whilst I'm not saying all those are correlated it does seem to suggest he CAN start a match and last more than 30 mins.....and also not just come on for 20 mins when we are losing. 

As I've been saying for a number of weeks (and has taken a situation when we had no other options) that we could have at least tried this option before now. And we might have picked up points against Port Vale into the bargain. 
    A big issue with Chuks leaving the field was that we then had absolutely nobody to hold the ball up to give the defence some respite. I thought the subs did fine, but after Chuks came off it was relentless pressure because even when we had possession it was only momentary. Letting in a last minute equaliser was gutting, but there had been a lot of a Stockport pressure from pretty much the moment Chuks went off. 
    But surely then the answer is to bring in Kanu.....not CBT or DJ or who ever it was that then replaced him upfront. Whenever Stockley is subbed we don't put Payne on in his place do we. Seems like maybe Garner was making a point to someone.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    So, Aneke manage to last 60 mins & we scored 2 goals whilst he was on the pitch. Once he was subbed we didnt score again but conceded. 

Whilst I'm not saying all those are correlated it does seem to suggest he CAN start a match and last more than 30 mins.....and also not just come on for 20 mins when we are losing. 

As I've been saying for a number of weeks (and has taken a situation when we had no other options) that we could have at least tried this option before now. And we might have picked up points against Port Vale into the bargain. 
    A big issue with Chuks leaving the field was that we then had absolutely nobody to hold the ball up to give the defence some respite. I thought the subs did fine, but after Chuks came off it was relentless pressure because even when we had possession it was only momentary. Letting in a last minute equaliser was gutting, but there had been a lot of a Stockport pressure from pretty much the moment Chuks went off. 
    But surely then the answer is to bring in Kanu.....not CBT or DJ or who ever it was that then replaced him upfront. Whenever Stockley is subbed we don't put Payne on in his place do we. Seems like maybe Garner was making a point to someone.
    Yep, it was odd that Kanu didn’t get any game time. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    Where are BG's post match comments? Typical as soon as I write that his comments are on the OS 😀
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/ben-garner-reflects-fa-cup-draw-stockport-county
    Who's he blaming this week?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Yep, it was odd that Kanu didn’t get any game time. 
    Shades of Southgate and Foden - everyone could see it apart from the manager 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Moving Kirk up front to replace Aneke was a waste of time.

DJ made a much better go of it. First thing he did, was use his body strength to turn their defender and get away....only for the dopey ref to pull it back as a free-kick to us. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Off_it said:
    clive said:
    Where are BG's post match comments? Typical as soon as I write that his comments are on the OS 😀
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/ben-garner-reflects-fa-cup-draw-stockport-county
    Who's he blaming this week?
    In the main the lino for their injury time equaliser and the inability to defend two set pieces for both goals.
  • Options
    another fixture in an already exhausting season.

yes Kirk is allowed to have a work life balance but to stick a video up of him and Payne at 100 wardour street is a bit foolish 
  • Options

yes Kirk is allowed to have a work life balance but to stick a video up of him and Payne at 100 wardour street is a bit foolish 
    At least it isn’t the Oxo Tower!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What have I missed?
  • Options

What have I missed?
    Just Kirk and Payne on the booze at 100 wardour street 
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    We should have been 5-1 up at 90 minutes 
    and we gave it away instead of parking the Bus.
    1250 Stockport Fans Turned up on a rail strike day and only 3800 or so total in the ground.
    says it all……….I very much doubt In front of
    8000 plus at Edgeley Park we will turn this shite around ……. But we live in hope 🤣
    925 Stockport, but yes, decent.
  • Options
    Oi Garner, please bore off with the 'officials blaming' loser shit.
  • Options
    The Stockport fans think they've won the FA Cup.
    We like to send our guests away happy.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Stockport building a reputation in this competition.

Last season they nicked a 2-2 draw away at Bolton and then beat them 5-3 in the replay. They pushed Rotherham all the way in the following round but lost 1-0.

Previous season in the third round, they held a string West Ham team goalless until the 83rd minute.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Painful. Was like a home game for their noisy support 

It’s was a genuinely terrible attendance. 

I can’t help but feel that closing the majority of the home ends sends the wrong signals to fans. I’m not convinced the business case really adds up either.  
    It’s disgraceful and disappointing that out of
    a circa 3900 attendance the only passionate fans were from Stockport on the day of a major train strike. Does our Old and famous club not recognise the FA Cup anymore ?
    or was it a protest towards the way the club is now run?

Our Rock n Roll Ego driven owner promised us the premiership in 5 years when he took over,
    we now due to a serious lack of investment we have a team who cannot beat teams worse than Stockport County who in fairness to them turned up and tried their best.

unfortunately with at least 8000 plus fans at the replay and all our issues, Stockport will probably 
    win the replay.

yes I will be there as a true passionate Charlton Fan of 50+ years to witness the spectacle,
    but I am not happy at the never ending way our wonderful club is run. 👎👎👎
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    se9addick said:

I can’t help but feel that closing the majority of the home ends sends the wrong signals to fans. I’m not convinced the business case really adds up either.  
    a circa 3900 attendance the only passionate fans were from Stockport on the day of a major train strike. Does our Old and famous club not recognise the FA Cup anymore ?

Our Rock n Roll Ego driven owner promised us the premiership in 5 years when he took over,
    we now due to a serious lack of investment we have a team who cannot beat teams worse than Stockport County who in fairness to them turned up and tried their best.

unfortunately with at least 8000 plus fans at the replay and all our issues, Stockport will probably 
    win the replay.

yes I will be there as a true passionate Charlton Fan of 50+ years to witness the spectacle,
    Even more surprising as the game wasn’t televised. 
  • Options
    We are total dogshit, I don’t know how anyone has the time or patience for it anymore.
    Less than 3000 have if they have to pay for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    I thought Stockport changed the balance of the game back in their favour, when they took off the atrociously slow 23 and replaced him with the much better 6 at half-time. That, combined with Chuks grinding to a halt, gave Stockport a foothold that they had lost in the 1st half. From then on, they always had the chance to get back in it and they missed two massive chances to do so, before they finally equalised. 

The manner of the draw was gutting but overall I'm not sure we deserved much more. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    1968CAFC said:
    se9addick said:

win the replay.

Even more surprising as the game wasn’t televised. 
    People can’t be asked anymore and want it handed to them on a plate with it live for a tenner in their living rooms. 

A tenner to get it in for adults yesterday and we still struggle to get a decent home attendance. 

If the game was free yesterday we would have not sold out the home areas as proved last season.

Streaming is part of the problem for a club in the third tier and won’t go away with the technology and knowledge how to access it, legally or illegally.

Less than 20 players marks on the other thread so far with how many members on here? If the game had been streamed yesterday you would have had at least 3 times that amount by now.

We are getting back to home gates before we left the Valley. Low with no sign of improving. If by chance we ever got promoted back to the Championship would crowds improve? Not that much anymore 
  • Options
    Wasn't at the game yesterday and this isn't about Lavelle's match performance.

However, generally speaking I do wonder why we spent 200K on him.  The club website at the time said, 'The former Scottish youth international impressed Charlton’s recruitment team with his leadership, aerial ability and his ball-playing skills'.

Football fancast wrote at the time that his (Adkins) centre-backs have been some of the better performers. Akin Famewo (7.00) and Ryan Innis (6.78) both make the top five in the Charlton squad for WhoScored ratings out of all the players who featured in all five games.

Lavelle, meanwhile, averaged a WhoScored rating of 6.67 in his five League One appearances for Morecambe before the switch and averaged a score of 6.76 in 48 League Two outings the previous term. This suggests, on paper at least, that he will not come in and be an upgrade on what they already have available to them, as he has performed to a lower standard in the same division and in the league below.

We had apparently sent him back home on the day of his transfer after a last minute change of mind - only to conclude the deal later on in yet another change of mind. 

So it seems a bad mistake by a doddering recruitment team -  when both the talent spotter and the number cruncher - get it wrong at the same time.

Shame they didn't watch him play
  • Options
    Same as Doucher for me except I don't have a season ticket and go when I feel like it.the last 15 years of home fa cup games have been soul destroying .even the games ee have eon
  • Options
    We have won
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
     i made a decision a few years back that i was done with these early round non events with a half shut stadium and normally a half baked side - i will always have a season ticket and attend proper matches but until this never ending cycle of shit and lack of investment  (grateful he saved us and all that aside) i will be running a bare minimum form of support - start doing well and i will be at the non events, the away games, the club shop and any other peripheral stuff but at the moment i'm reducing my exposure to all things charlton coz its just bloody depressing - if that makes me a bit of a fairweather, so be it, but i've got other things to do and just being loyal for the sake of it is daft. Respect to those who continue to go to everything but i think i've done my bit over the years and deserve some 'time off for good behaviour'.   
    Dear Doucher, Try doing it the other way round. On balance, Cup games are far more eventful, more attacking, faster, tension. Excitment (and fear) .Its the league games that are dull as there is more reward for a draw. For as much as the result disappointed me yesterday  the game was packed full of incidents and goal attempts. Loved it. (sort of)