Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• Just occurred to me that our main 4 bowlers are all from down under, 3 Aussie born and 1 from NZ. That must be a record for Kent, and a slightly dubious one too.
    We're turning into Surrey. Compton was born in South Africa too.
    "I will not nibble, I will not nibble, I will not nibble, I will not nibble"

Prick      
    What took you so long?
  • Just occurred to me that our main 4 bowlers are all from down under, 3 Aussie born and 1 from NZ. That must be a record for Kent, and a slightly dubious one too.
    We're turning into Surrey. Compton was born in South Africa too.
    Gilchrist is a South African raised Zimbabwean
    Klassen was born in England, but raised in Oz and NZ

Indeed this season we basically have no senior English seam bowlers, other than the all rounders Evison (and DBD if he counts)
  • edited April 2023
    No doubt the youth academies across Kent will have another 20 top class wicket keeper batsmen in the wings though!
  • I can't see that there are any in our 2s that weren't born here. Apart from Muyeye. And Gilchrist. And Klaassen. And Linde. And Qadri. And Arshdeep Singh who is still to arrive. And Kane Richardson. 

To be fair, five of the dozen named are overseas players and strictly speaking so is Klaassen given that he plays for the Netherlands.  
  • Kent have had a dismal record at producing bowlers in recent years, but it's also the effect of Milnes, Podmore and Stevo all leaving that has created this odd situation.
  • No doubt the youth academies across Kent will have another 20 top class wicket keeper batsmen in the wings though!
    Nah - most are off to play for other counties which is why Harry Finch has taken up keeping. If you look at his profile there is no mention of him being a keeper but does refer to his bowling as being "right arm medium fast" - he actually has two First Class wickets to his name. He is just one of those nauseous people who is both athletic and has such natural hand to eye coordination that he could turn his hand to any sport. And from what I hear he is a very nice chap too. 
  • Hogan has Simpson caught behind with a beauty - Billings fourth catch.

90-6 but need to get Higgins out
  • Higgins is still there on 31. His first innings scores in the previous three matches were 70, 70 & 53

131-6 and we remain 55 ahead 
  • Quinn back into the attack and bowls Holman plays on

165-7 and just 21 behind

Higgins 46*
  • Higgins gets his fourth consecutive first innings 50

176-7 and 10 behind
  • Sponsored links:

• Middlesex have been putting bat to ball but Hogan has now trapped Helm LBW

206-8 and 20 ahead
  • Same old, same old

from 90-6 Middlesex are now in the lead
  • Higgins caught at long on by Hogan off Agar for 71

216-9 and 30 ahead
  • Agar bowls Mutagh to finish with 4-60

229 all out and a lead of 43
  • Well that's started well. Murtagh has Crawley caught at slip first ball of the innings. 

• And DBD is out LBW first ball too. Murtagh on a hat trick

• the lack of application from these players is concerning. Who is to blame? The coaching ? None have any sort of backbone apart from Compton and occasionally leaning 
  • the lack of application from these players is concerning. Who is to blame? The coaching ? None have any sort of backbone apart from Compton and occasionally leaning 
    I'm afraid that I've been saying it for years. Their technique is based on hitting a white ball that doesn't move.
  • edited April 2023
    So, effectively we’ll be 5 down before we draw the scores level!

I live a stones throw from Lords, just passed by on my way back from the shops and had thought about going for one of the days, probably won’t bother now, are Kent, Charlton in disguise 🥸?
  • So, effectively we’ll be 5 down before we draw the scores level!

I live a stones throw from Lords, just passed by on my way back from the shops and had thought about going for one of the days, probably won’t bother now, are Kent, Charlton in disguise 🥸?
    If you didn't go in just now, you've probably left it too late. Can't see us batting for long if the openers go so cheaply.  :(:(
  • Sponsored links:

• The dismal pre-season schedule didn't help either
  • edited April 2023
    Is Ben Compton, Chris Tavare in disguise?
  • 40-2 and 3 behind at close
  • Perfectly-poised match tbh, probably more worth going to this than Charlton tomorrow (I will be busy in the morning so won't)
  • Interesting article in the times on options if they shut down the 100

1 Axe  100 & Blast for T20 county-based comp — but with city names — with pro/rel, which could be called the English Prem League 
    2 Keep the Blast (with pro/rel) but replace 100 with a knockout tourn includes the national counties; or...
    3 keep an eight-team city-based competition but switch to a T20 format and reduce it in length to allow County Champ in August.

• Let’s hope Compton and Leaning can build a strong partnership.
  • Interesting article in the times on options if they shut down the 100

1 Axe  100 & Blast for T20 county-based comp — but with city names — with pro/rel, which could be called the English Prem League 
    2 Keep the Blast (with pro/rel) but replace 100 with a knockout tourn includes the national counties; or...
    3 keep an eight-team city-based competition but switch to a T20 format and reduce it in length to allow County Champ in August.

All would be an improvement, though option 1 would benefit other counties more, the ones based in big cities with other sports they can "piggy back off" such as Leicester, Bristol and even Brighton now. 
  • Leaning out for 48. We are 3 down and 45 ahead
  • Nice and sunny now, should be good batting conditions
  • Nice and sunny now, should be good batting conditions
    Schhhhhhh

I do wonder how much it is in the head though. Yes, undoubtedly, the ball does a lot more when atmospheric conditions are an influence but as Compton has demonstrated, time and time again, whilst a solid technique is the order of the day the right mindset and application can get a batsman through those difficult times. And I am not talking about the unplayable balls either, as ones that have your name on it, invariably, you can do nothing about.