Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• Pedro45 said:
    I wonder if any of them get to play in KCL league games this Saturday?  Crawley and Compton could open for the Vine;  DBD could play for Blackheath; Cox could turn out for Sandwich; and Bilbo could get a knock for Gravesend in the game I'm umpiring!
    I suspect that Compton might and would be inclined to believe that DBD will. I very much doubt that Crawley will and unless the rules have been re-written with the new formation of the KCL I don't think Billings will be allowed to. Stevens might be playing for St Lawrence & HC.
    Darren Stevens is playing for St Lawrence & HC against Bexley. As is, by the looks of things, Jack Leaning! 
  • In the end, Muyeye, despite being named on the Bromley teamsheet via social media some 24 hours before, didn't play. The only Kent pro, from what I can see, who did play for a club yesterday, was Grant Stewart - he got half a dozen batting at 7 and didn't bowl. 
  • In the end, Muyeye, despite being named on the Bromley teamsheet via social media some 24 hours before, didn't play. The only Kent pro, from what I can see, who did play for a club yesterday, was Grant Stewart - he got half a dozen batting at 7 and didn't bowl. 
    Mind you, not many of the Kent amateurs played yesterday either due to the horrible weather! 
  • Pedro45 said:
    In the end, Muyeye, despite being named on the Bromley teamsheet via social media some 24 hours before, didn't play. The only Kent pro, from what I can see, who did play for a club yesterday, was Grant Stewart - he got half a dozen batting at 7 and didn't bowl. 
    Mind you, not many of the Kent amateurs played yesterday either due to the horrible weather! 
    Indeed - see the club thread 
  • So no DBD or Denly in tomorrow's 13 man squad but Muyeye is included. Presumably Qadri and one from Hogan, Quinn and Stewart will be left out

• Linde (and Denly) are playing in today's T20s against the Netherlands. I wonder if that means that Qadri will play in the Championship game. 
  • Muyeye definitely plays (and bat at 3) as will Qadri but Linde won't. Cox will keep and bat at 6. Billings will bat at 5.

https://www.kentsportsnews.com/walker-wants-kent-to-bounce-back-10-05-2023/

• I was Accountex (an accountancy trade show at ExCel) today, and on the Sage stand doing a sport related Q&A was one Sam Billings. Sadly the link in his case was to The Hundred (which they sponsor), but he didn't really talk about that event.

An interesting Q&A with the panel and the use of technology in sport (especially in rugby now), and leadership tips. Sam as you might imagine is a very eloquent speaker, and really impressed with Eoin Morgan as a leader, and Ben Stokes as the type of player to deliver when it really matters. Had a chat with him about Kent's poor start to the season, and now he's taken on my advice I'm expecting a better performance tomorrow.
  • Muyeye definitely plays (and bat at 3) as will Qadri but Linde won't. Cox will keep and bat at 6. Billings will bat at 5.

Makes the decision to prioritise Billings’ England prospects ahead of keeping Robinson all the more baffling 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Muyeye definitely plays (and bat at 3) as will Qadri but Linde won't. Cox will keep and bat at 6. Billings will bat at 5.

Makes the decision to prioritise Billings’ England prospects ahead of keeping Robinson all the more baffling 
    Perhaps Kent are giving the gloves to Cox because they don't want history repeating itself. As far as I'm aware Cox's current contract ends at the end of the season. To lose one very good keeper/bat is careless but to lose two would be criminal.  
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:
    Muyeye definitely plays (and bat at 3) as will Qadri but Linde won't. Cox will keep and bat at 6. Billings will bat at 5.

Perhaps Kent are giving the gloves to Cox because they don't want history repeating itself. As far as I'm aware Cox's current contract ends at the end of the season. To lose one very good keeper/bat is careless but to lose two would be criminal.  
    I think it’s mainly because neither of them are making any runs . 
  • Thinking of going today, hope phone forecast is correct it says max 2 hours of drizzle between 1 and 3 then sunny periods.
  • Thinking of going today, hope phone forecast is correct it says max 2 hours of Kent batting drivel between 1 and 3 then sunny periods of Hampshire batting.
    Corrected  :#
  • edited May 2023
    Hants have won the toss and put us in. Quinn and Linde left out. Stream:

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/fixture/kent-vs-hampshire-5/
  • Thinking of going today, hope phone forecast is correct it says max 2 hours of Kent batting drivel between 1 and 3 then sunny periods of Hampshire batting.
    Corrected  :#
    Think you might be correct with your correction 2-1 Compton caught for a duck
  • Not the greatest of starts. A rare duck for Compton, caught 3rd slip

2-1
  • Crawley LBW 7

12-2

• Charltonised . :'(
  • A certain player is looking a million dollars...
  • Leuth said:
    A certain player is looking a million dollars...

Can't be talking about any Worcestershire batsmen. They are 28-5!
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    A certain player is looking a million dollars...
    Certainly looks useful from where I’m sitting 
  • The lad has always had the shots. He has had to just learn not to allow his youthful exuberance to get the better of him in playing too many of them especially to balls that aren't there to hit.  
  • Muyeye out now.

52-3
  • No sooner had I typed that than he tries to pull a ball that probably wasn't quite there to do so. But surely it was too high?
  • Unsurprisingly batsmen are struggling across most games
  • Billings fails once again and not for the first time this season is LBW too. To add insult to injury, the covers come on straight after his dismissal

56-4
  • I was SO looking forward to a summer of cricket....

• I was Accountex (an accountancy trade show at ExCel) today, and on the Sage stand doing a sport related Q&A was one Sam Billings. Sadly the link in his case was to The Hundred (which they sponsor), but he didn't really talk about that event.

An interesting Q&A with the panel and the use of technology in sport (especially in rugby now), and leadership tips. Sam as you might imagine is a very eloquent speaker, and really impressed with Eoin Morgan as a leader, and Ben Stokes as the type of player to deliver when it really matters. Had a chat with him about Kent's poor start to the season, and now he's taken on my advice I'm expecting a better performance tomorrow.
    He clearly didn't listen
  • The one thing I really cannot get my head round nowadays is why batsman take an off stump guard and then insist on playing across their pads when the ball is seaming. If you do have to take that guard (presumably because you want to be able to leave as many balls as possible outside the off) then you have to play, in these conditions against a red ball, as much as possible down the ground. Miss one that you are trying to play square and you will be LBW more often that not. That said, it is difficult to play straight to a ball where your head is so outside the line which is another argument for not taking "off". Pope tried doing so but soon reverted to a more conventional guard and hasn't looked back since. 
  • Joking apart, Billings has had a nightmare of a start to the season but that comes from playing so much white ball cricket in recent years and so very little red ball. So far this season he has scored 63 runs at an average of 9 and if we combine this run with his CC scores for the two previous seasons then he has accumulated just 355 runs at an average of 19.72. We've done the Robinson story to death but I said this was likely to happen as far back as two years ago when Billings was prioritising his IPL and England careers. Reputations don't get you runs but his status within the Club will have kept him in the side ahead of DBD.  

We have just one more CC match after this and then break for the Blast 'til the middle of June. Getting a result here and/or against Surrey will not be easy and will depend on all of our batsmen returning to some sort of form.