Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• Leuth said:
    Yashasvi Jaiswal is playing some shots in the IPL right now I can tell you. Joe Root is shaking his head in disbelief from the dugout
    Incredible batsmen to think I was disappointed when they chose to field 62 off 22 now. 
  • Jaiswal is going to be the best player in the world in very short order, possibly in all formats
  • Incredible.. And cheers Kent I live in Hampshire and am getting pelters from my colleagues. 
  • RR need 10 to win and he is on 89...Samson is on fire too.. 
  • Hants struggling on this track too

51-0
  • 74-0 after 16 overs  :#
  • I'm afraid Cox has had a bit of a shocker dropping a flashing edge off Agar. His feet have not moved and as a result he has had to dive from a standing position and spilled it. Had he been doing the job, week in week out, he almost certainly would have taken it. 
  • Leuth said:
    Jaiswal is going to be the best player in the world in very short order, possibly in all formats
    Sign him for Kent. That's bring him back down to earth.
  • Leuth said:
    Jaiswal is going to be the best player in the world in very short order, possibly in all formats
    Would like to see that negotiation - we can offer you 50 quid a week , luncheon vouchers and you can bat on the side of a hill on bowler friendly pitches - or you can stay in India and become a multi millionaire overnight ……
  • 89-0 at close so Hants are currently just 6 runs behind
  • Sponsored links:

• 89-0 at close so Hants are currently just 6 runs behind
    Rip through them tomorrow morning , bowl them out for 135 , run up 400 then bowl them out for under 250. 
  • Leuth said:
    Would like to see that negotiation - we can offer you 50 quid a week , luncheon vouchers and you can bat on the side of a hill on bowler friendly pitches - or you can stay in India and become a multi millionaire overnight ……
    And free access to the Cathedral. 
  • Leuth said:
    And free access to the Cathedral. 
    That must be a performance related bonus 
  • Unsurprisingly batsmen are struggling across most games
    Unless you happen to be Middlesex and playing Surrey. Currently 160-1
    209 all out.

Many thanks for putting the curse  on them 
  • Unsurprisingly batsmen are struggling across most games
    Unless you happen to be Middlesex and playing Surrey. Currently 160-1
    209 all out.

Many thanks for putting the curse  on them 
    It's a gift. Surrey are going to get 720-2 
  • It's a good job that we did all that white ball range hitting this week. That should stand us in good stead for the second innings. 
  • Subject to there being no more rain, play is due to commence at 5.15. Better late than never!
  • Subject to there being no more rain, play is due to commence at 5.15. Better late than never!
    That's debatable!
  • And they are off again - for bad light. Hants are 8 runs ahead with 10 wickets in hand. 

• Sponsored links:

• To be honest, kent badly need to learn a raindance - they were bowled out for under 100, and Hampshire got most of that on the same day without losing a wicket. This far it's a terrible preformance, and rain helping Kemt to an undeserved draw would be a huge plus.
  • Tomorrow should be a much better day for batting, so expect Hampshire to build a massive lead
  • They could probably declare tomorrow lunch time and have this done and dusted by close. Has Martin Sandgaard got in amongst the batting coaches at the St Lawrence?
  • They could probably declare tomorrow lunch time and have this done and dusted by close. Has Martin Sandgaard got in amongst the batting coaches at the St Lawrence?
    In all honesty, I really don't think any batting coach can correct technical faults that are so ingrained. Most of our batsmen are hardened pros but keep making the same mistakes on decks that are not friendly to scoring runs quickly. It is very difficult to eradicate that and it is the reason that only Compton (ironically given his late arrival in the pro game) has an average of more than 36. Compton has a very simple game whereas virtually all of the others are white ball players with three shots in their head to every ball that is delivered. The batting coach can work and work with a player with drill after drill but, if the default setting is always going to be to hit a ball on middle and off through mid wicket then he is asking for trouble especially in conditions that we have witnessed in April and May. Billings, for example, has been out LBW on the last three occasions in virtually exactly the same way. The buck stops with the player. 

So why have a batting coach? I would say to actually spot faults that have crept in (for example the head falling over) rather than ones that are part of a batsman's make up. That coach is also there to help up and coming players in the Academy and those playing 2s cricket from the perspective of match management and also with the psychology of batting. Players who have been pros for a decade and/or already playing for England really shouldn't need an overhaul of their technique. 

Finally, I will repeat what one county coach say a little while ago - "I don't care whether they look good and can accumulate runs, no batsman has a chance of getting in my U15 squad if they cannot play 360 degrees shots". You reap what you sow. 

• But most of Kent's players are better than what they are producing now. Denly, Billings, DBD, Leaning etc are all experience county pros, who SHOULD be scoring more runs than they are. I still think the dismal pre season didn't help.

And it's not as if our players are unique in having white ball affecting their technique. Other counties are scoring more runs.
  • But most of Kent's players are better than what they are producing now. Denly, Billings, DBD, Leaning etc are all experience county pros, who SHOULD be scoring more runs than they are. I still think the dismal pre season didn't help.

And it's not as if our players are unique in having white ball affecting their technique. Other counties are scoring more runs.
    They have batted enough times to make pre season irrelevant now. You did ask the question recently as to why we habitually start so badly and it is because the default of most of our batsmen is to hit the ball square and not offer the full face of the bat - that's fine and dandy when the ball isn't doing much but if it is seaming then they are in trouble (Billings hasn't scored any runs since 2019 in the CC either)

If we were to compare the way most of our youngsters learn to bat and the way they do in other countries it is totally different. Here we encourage them to hit the ball and sort the technique out later. In other countries they are drilled on technique first and then layer the other shots on top.

Look at last season's top run scorers and where those players learnt the basics:

1 Madsen - South Africa
    2 Hameed - England but drilled by his father to bat the traditional way and spent time in India including 5 weeks in a Mumbai training camp as a 14 year old
    3 Jennings - South Africa
    4 Compton - South Africa
    5 Northeast - England
    6 Hain - Australia
    7 Pujara - India
    8 Masood - Pakistan

So only Sam Northeast is English taught but we also have to bear in mind that 410 of his runs for the season (more than a third) came in one innings. 

The sad thing is that our batsmen will come good when we get roads and the sun as they have done in previous seasons. The trouble is that we don't actually play that many games at that time these days. 
  • The real question that needs to be asked and I’m not sure it has been answer, is how we ended up letting Somerset sign Matt Henry over us ? That has annoyed me to most about everything. Not sure I remember ever being this disillusioned about the club in general 
  • Possibly a promotion season to look forward to next year though 
  • The real question that needs to be asked and I’m not sure it has been answer, is how we ended up letting Somerset sign Matt Henry over us ? That has annoyed me to most about everything. Not sure I remember ever being this disillusioned about the club in general 
    I think that one comes down to money. He signed for them for 7 CC matches and the whole of the Blast up to 31st July. We already signed George Linde for all comps and have clearly tried to sign other cheaper options as our second overseas. 
    I think that one comes down to money. He signed for them for 7 CC matches and the whole of the Blast up to 31st July. We already signed George Linde for all comps and have clearly tried to sign other cheaper options as our second overseas. 
    Linde was an appalling signing, a waste of money and an overseas spot.

I'm sure Martin Sandgaard's black box must have been the reason.