Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• The other significant change is that Qadri is back in the 2s and Linde has been left out, opening the door for Linde to return to the 1s. In the circumstances, I am going to make an early prediction for the team to play Hants starting on 11th May

Compton
    Crawley
    Denly (assuming he gets runs for the 2s)
    Leaning
    Cox
    Billing
    Evison 
    Linde
    Stewart
    Agar
    Quinn

• The other significant change is that Qadri is back in the 2s and Linde has been left out, opening the door for Linde to return to the 1s. In the circumstances, I am going to make an early prediction for the team to play Hants starting on 11th May

Compton
    Crawley
    Denly (assuming he gets runs for the 2s)
    Leaning
    Cox
    Billing
    Evison 
    Linde
    Stewart
    Agar
    Quinn

I can't help thinking that we need two 2nd 11 games, one for the "first" team, and one for the rest...
  • It will be very interesting to see who actually plays in the 2s game this week against Hants. Whereas the 1s and 2s matches have clashed in the last three weeks, the 1s do not have a game now 'til 11th May so there is absolutely no excuse for the likes of DBD, Denly, Cox and Billings not to take the opportunity to get some runs in the middle. 
    Joe Denly is the only one of those four playing in this game (with his nephew too) which I do find somewhat surprising. It is really difficult to argue that players are "undercooked" due to a lack of a pre season (even though they have now batted six or seven times) and/or are out of form if they are not taking every opportunity for time in the middle. And a 4 day 2s game would give them just that. 

Team - MK O'Riordan*, HZ Finch†, TS Muyeye, JL Denly, JK Denly, Hamidullah Qadri, E Singh, GS Ealham, JEG Logan, NN Gilchrist, J Singh, AH Bhuiyan

In addition to Jaydn Denly, Ekansh Singh is one to watch. He is a very stylish and technically correct 17 year old batsman.

Hants won the toss and will bat:

https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#m518f6866-4cc7-43bf-98b2-3b7d41ba122b_~scorecard
    Question for anyone who watches 2nd 11 cricket, is ealham any good?
    George Ealham was at Kent, went to Surrey, came back to Kent and played almost every game for the 2s last season without too much success with bat or ball - the sum total a couple of 50s late on in the season. Not many players get those sort of opportunities but it certainly doesn't do any individual any harm if both your father and grandfather played for the County. 

There are plenty that have been discarded much sooner and only given a token game to prove themselves. One that was given a fair chance but rejected was Ben Compton - in 2019 he scored 848 runs in all forms of cricket for our 2s, including T20 which really isn't his strength as we know and scored 848 runs at an average of 65.23 and that included four tons. It took us three years to sign him. I would suggest that Ealham won't have to wait three years for that to happen IF he does that this season. 
    Interesting, thank you
  • Hants 2s were 413 all out and Toby Albert was last man out for 231. Pick of the bowlers was Blackheath's Arafat Bhuiyan with figures of 24-4-81-4

• 87-1 

O'Riordan out for 21. Joe Denly making it look like men against boys and is currently on 58 off 42 balls. 
  • Joe Denly out for 92 off 75. Muyeye undefeated for another 50

187-2 off 29
  • Muyeye out for 97 off 85. It is going to be very difficult to leave him out of the next 1s game now and with Denly finding runs too it is possible that both DBD and Cox will miss out with Billings only retaining his place due to the fact that he is captain and number one keeper

240-3 off 38

• MrOneLung said:
    will be fuming if Muyeye is left out.
    Where is the incentive if your keep performing but dont make the failing batting line up ?
    He should for sure get his chance. I believe that you might understand this as much as most but if there is one thing that I have witnessed it is that some coaches will give as many chances as they can to those they fancy to be ultimately successful (Crawley with England is an example of this) but not anything like as many to those they don't. It all depends which camp Muyeye falls into and which camp some of the established players are in too.   
  • A bit of a collapse and we finish the day on 305-9 and still 108 behind
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder if any of them get to play in KCL league games this Saturday?  Crawley and Compton could open for the Vine;  DBD could play for Blackheath; Cox could turn out for Sandwich; and Bilbo could get a knock for Gravesend in the game I'm umpiring!
  • Pedro45 said:
    I wonder if any of them get to play in KCL league games this Saturday?  Crawley and Compton could open for the Vine;  DBD could play for Blackheath; Cox could turn out for Sandwich; and Bilbo could get a knock for Gravesend in the game I'm umpiring!
    I suspect that Compton might and would be inclined to believe that DBD will. I very much doubt that Crawley will and unless the rules have been re-written with the new formation of the KCL I don't think Billings will be allowed to. Stevens might be playing for St Lawrence & HC.
  • What rules allow Crawley to play but not Billings ? 
  • edited May 2023
    MrOneLung said:
    What rules allow Crawley to play but not Billings ? 
    The Vine are in the Prem. Gravesend are in Div 1 which is now the 3rd tier (because the old Div 1 is now the Championship) and I believe that it is only the top two divisions that are allowed to field current pros - Minster signed Matt Coles a couple of season ago without realising that - although I can't find the specific paragraph relating to this in the KCL rules
  • Cheers AA
  • Muyeye is playing for Bromley on Saturday against Whitstable
  • 3 ball duck and dropped from Kent 2nds
  • edited May 2023
    The 2s are chasing 438 to win today but are currently 95-7. Joe Denly hasn't batted and no guesses as to who is currently 57 not out. 
  • There is absolutely no way he doesn’t get into the team next week. Who drops out will be interesting.
  • There is absolutely no way he doesn’t get into the team next week. Who drops out will be interesting.
    Muyeye should, of course, be given his opportunity but stranger things do happen especially if politics do have an influence. And if does have that chance, it's no good giving him just the one game. I do think, though, that both he and Denly will be in for DBD and Cox respectively. 
  • Sponsored links:

• *more laughing at Yorkshire*
  • Leuth said:
    *more laughing at Yorkshire*
    They're lucky there's no relegation to the minor counties  ;)
  • 130-8 and it looks like Joe Denly isn't going to have a bat. You know who is 75* and could be denied another ton by virtue of running out of partners!
  • edited May 2023
    Leuth said:
    *more laughing at Yorkshire*
    It's interesting to see that Michael Neser took 7-32 for Glamorgan. In this years Sheffield Shield he was the second top wicket taker with many of the top ten also now plying their trade in our red ball 4 day competition (or would have been but for injury):

Will Sutherland - 41 wickets (signed by Essex but ruled out through injury)
    Michael Neser - 40 wkts (Yorkshire) 
    Mark Steketee - 38 wkts (Essex last season)
    Wes Agar - 36 wkts (Kent)
    Matthew Kelly - 35 wkts
    Lance Morris - 31 wkts (signed by Northants but ruled out through injury)
    Jackson Bird - 31 wkts (Kent last season 'til went home early as a result of injury)
    Mitchell Perry - 29 wkts 
    Nathan McAndrew - 28 wkts (Sussex)
    Joel Paris - 27 wkts

Yorkshire's fast bowling recruit from Australia, Mickey Edwards, was playing for St Lawrence & HC last season in Div 1 of the Kent League and his brother, Jack, was at Bromley. Our bowlers do not get an opportunity to play in the Sheffield Shield and the best they can hope for is a bit of club cricket

• Kent 2s 153 all out and Muyeye stranded on 92*. He is somewhat unlucky especially as he made 97 in the first innings.
  • "Unfortunately Tawanda has failed to make a century in the latest 2nd match, therefore we'll stick to the existing batters."
  • this is puzzling me, am sure you guys will give me the answer even if it relates to Essex

my wife and Jamie were visiting her mum/his nan in hospital on Tuesday
    Jamie was in his Essex training gear and when he left, the man visiting the patient in next bay asked my wife if her son (!) played for Essex. She explained he was her nephew but yes, and the guy said he played county cricket for Essex quite a few years ago and was a spinner.

I asked the wife what was his name, but she didnt think to ask

Can you guys remember an Asian spinner for Essex in the 90's ?
    For some reason the name Kumar comes to my mind but I dont think that is correct
  • MrOneLung said:
    this is puzzling me, am sure you guys will give me the answer even if it relates to Essex

my wife and Jamie were visiting her mum/his nan in hospital on Tuesday
    Jamie was in his Essex training gear and when he left, the man visiting the patient in next bay asked my wife if her son (!) played for Essex. She explained he was her nephew but yes, and the guy said he played county cricket for Essex quite a few years ago and was a spinner.

I asked the wife what was his name, but she didnt think to ask

Can you guys remember an Asian spinner for Essex in the 90's ?
    For some reason the name Kumar comes to my mind but I dont think that is correct
    Nasser Hussain. Bowled leg spin I believe.  
  • Nah deffo wasn't Nasser