Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• LenGlover said:
    My God……24 boundaries (all 4’s), off 678 deliveries!
    Is that some kind of record for Kent….albeit an unwelcome one?
    It must have been absolutely turgid viewing……I suppose one has to say well done, though that first inning was absolutely dreadful to say the least.
    Not in the context of the match from a Kentish viewpoint. A draw was an achievement given Kent's appalling first day, and good defence was the best way to achieve it. Cricket is not all about boundaries.
    Oh yes…..I realise that but also realise that watching it would have been something of a mission.
    Make no mistake, it was (in the outcome of the game) very well done by those guys……I’m not discounting that in any way shape or form.
    The game of cricket has a thousand and one ways of panning out, which is what sets it aside from all others.
    After the disastrous first innings there was no alternative.
  • Bhuiyan is the only addition to the team that drew with Hants for our CC match against Surrey starting tomorrow

• Bhuiyan is the only addition to the team that drew with Hants for our CC match against Surrey starting tomorrow

Is Jas Singh injured ? 

Is Jas Singh injured ? 
    Not as far as I'm aware. And I don't believe Klaassen, Gilchrist or Quinn are either. Or Denly or DBD or Finch for that matter should Walker be thinking about dropping the player with 90 runs in 8 innings this season. Or Linde or Logan or O'Riordan either for a change of spinner. Walker might well have opted to keep the same XI and Bhuiyan might be in the squad to experience what goes on in a first team for the first time. We will find out tomorrow. 

Is Jas Singh injured ? 
    Not as far as I'm aware. And I don't believe Klaassen, Gilchrist or Quinn are either. Or Denly or DBD or Finch for that matter should Walker be thinking about dropping the player with 90 runs in 8 innings this season. Or Linde or Logan or O'Riordan either for a change of spinner. Walker might well have opted to keep the same XI and Bhuiyan might be in the squad to experience what goes on in a first team for the first time. We will find out tomorrow. 
    It is weird to me that Ara is picked in the squad ahead of Jas (who played for Bexley on Sunday and bowled OK...and who has a Kent contract). That said, I'd love Ara to play and take a few heads off!
  • Pedro45 said:
    Bhuiyan is the only addition to the team that drew with Hants for our CC match against Surrey starting tomorrow

Is Jas Singh injured ? 
    It is weird to me that Ara is picked in the squad ahead of Jas (who played for Bexley on Sunday and bowled OK...and who has a Kent contract). That said, I'd love Ara to play and take a few heads off!
    I really would be surprised if Ara plays. Jas has been doing lots of 12th man drinks duty in the course of the last two seasons and there is another 2s T20 tomorrow which Jas will, not doubt, be playing in. Adam Ball stated in a podcast that he was habitually the travelling 12th man, as much because he was such a good fielder and it stopped him from developing his game in 2s. Jas is, I believe, on a long term contract but it won't do him any harm to have another bowler for competition although he might not see that as a benefit right now. 
  • Leuth said:
    Can we lol @ Yorkshire again please? 

Staggeringly poor run in the last two seasons. Last 18 CC matches - Won 0, Drawn 9, Lost 8, Abandoned 1

Yorkshire's issues have been well documented and these have resulted in one or two of their better players refusing to play for them and others not wanting to join them because of the baggage that the county continues to carry. Not quite sure how they resolve that. 
  • Not expecting much from my trip to the Oval today.
    I am
  • Sponsored links:

I am
    We will, no doubt, do our best not to disappoint you. Only surprise is that we aren't being shown on Sky's newly renamed channel - from "The Cricket Channel" to "The Surrey Cricket Channel". 
  • edited May 2023
    Typical Kent collapse / Typical Oval Road

will be in a meeting at 3pm , so please delete as appropriate and post on my behalf depending if we are batting or bowling

thanks
  • edited May 2023
    I couldn't help noticing that Northants and Warwickshire had two T20 2nd XI game yesterday in which David Willey (7 off 9 and 79 off 48) Chris Lynn (0 off 8 and 44 off 17) participated, clearly demonstrating that some ain't too proud to play in the stiffs!
  • MrOneLung said:
    Typical Kent collapse / Typical Oval Road

will be in a meeting at 3pm , so please delete as appropriate and post on my behalf depending if we are batting or bowling

thanks
    Well Surrey clearly believe that The Oval isn't a road (yet) because they've put Kent in. And I was totally wrong about Arafat Bhuiyan because he does start instead of Qadri so we have a five seam bowl attack and no frontline spinner in the side. 
  • Surrey obviously fancy a weekend off! Maybe Ara can be back playing for the 'Heath on Saturday?
  • With Kent's first innings frailty, not a surprise we've been asked to bat
  • Nigel Llong is one of the umpires, Simon Hinks the referee

A decent number of former Kent players have become officials
  • It is interesting to see how the careers of cricketers vary in terms of the rate that they do or don't progress.

I mentioned that Adam Ball felt that he was a bit stifled at Kent from the perspective of not getting opportunities or a chance to develop in the 2s and this was an all rounder who, at the age of 16, was in the same England U19 World Cup side as the two years older Joe Root and Ben Stokes. Two years later he captained the U19s in the 2012 World Cup. Ball's professional career sadly ended at the age of 24. Equally, Adam Riley made his Kent debut at 19 and was at one point on England's radar but his career too finished prematurely at 27. 

By comparison, we have the Ben Compton who didn't cement a place in pro cricket 'til he came to us at 28. And now we have Bhuiyan making his debut at 26. Here's hoping that they both go from strength to strength. 
  • That Surrey batting lineup is packed with dropped England players, Burns, Sibley and now Foakes
  • Oh dear. Compton leaves a boomerang from Worrall that nips back and takes the top of off

12-1

Compton 4 (24)
    Crawley 8* (16)
  • Sponsored links:

• You can have the best defensive technique in the world but you have to remember to use it
  • That Surrey batting lineup is packed with dropped England players, Burns, Sibley and now Foakes
    Jacks
  • Crawley, having hit 11 off 3 balls in the previous over, is out for 19 (24) fending off a ball from Clark to third slip

30-2

Muyeye 5* (8)

• Crawley, having hit 11 off 3 balls in the previous over, is out for 19 (24) fending off a ball from Clark to third slip

30-2

Muyeye 5* (8)

An so it begins.....
  • edited May 2023
    30-2, well that’s a shock, wouldn’t have predicted that?
  • Surrey have five slips currently
  • making the latest in a string of shitty starts to championship matches both openers gone inside 10 overs
    2nd worst (1st dig) batting lineup in the division - Walker's "back to basics drivel" as effective as it was insightful
    gonna be a joyless red ball season
  • What year does Muyeye make his England debut then? He's clearly too good not to
  • Leuth said:
    What year does Muyeye make his England debut then? He's clearly too good not to
    2027 I believe. It all seems a bit strange to me because Worrall will qualify to do so after next year, as long as he spends the requisite number of days here, presumably because he has an English father.
  • Leuth said:
    What year does Muyeye make his England debut then? He's clearly too good not to
    Gottimmmmm