Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• As an indication of how our batsmen have been performing, in terms of consistency this season, here are the number of innings, their average followed by, in brackets, their average taking out their their biggest score of the season. It rather demonstrates how one innings can skew some player's overall contribution to the team:

10 - DBD 54.55 (21.11)

4 - Finch 45.25 (22.33)

11 - Muyeye 39.09 (25.10)

11 - Crawley 36.63 (23.30)

18 - Compton 34.52 (27.82)

16 - Evison 34.21 (29.23)

18 - Leaning 24.81 (21.93)

17 - Cox 24.06 (16.80)

9 - Qadri 21.12 (13.86)

10 - Stewart 20.60 (17.33)

3 - McKerr 20.50 (18.00)

8 - Hogan 18.75 (16.67)

8 - Agar 16.00 (10.17)

7 - Arshdeep Singh 13.00 (9.00)

12 - Quinn 11.30 (8.44)

10 - Billings 9.20 (6.78)

11 - Denly 7.63 (3.90)

2 - Bhuiyan 7.00 (4.00_

I get your point but averages are calculated for a reason. You can't take away 0's because it makes it look worse than it is.

I played golf yesterday, had 2 birdies, 14 pars and two double bogeys. Let's get rid of the birdies a 16 handicapper shouldn't shoot birdies?
  • As an indication of how our batsmen have been performing, in terms of consistency this season, here are the number of innings, their average followed by, in brackets, their average taking out their their biggest score of the season. It rather demonstrates how one innings can skew some player's overall contribution to the team:

10 - DBD 54.55 (21.11)

4 - Finch 45.25 (22.33)

17 - Cox 24.06 (16.80)

9 - Qadri 21.12 (13.86)

3 - McKerr 20.50 (18.00)

8 - Hogan 18.75 (16.67)

8 - Agar 16.00 (10.17)

12 - Quinn 11.30 (8.44)

11 - Denly 7.63 (3.90)

2 - Bhuiyan 7.00 (4.00_

I get your point but averages are calculated for a reason. You can't take away 0's because it makes it look worse than it is.

I played golf yesterday, had 2 birdies, 14 pars and two double bogeys. Let's get rid of the birdies a 16 handicapper shouldn't shoot birdies?
    You play off 16 and finished 2 over par? 

That’s brilliant but also banditry to the supaclive level 
  • edited July 2023
    As an indication of how our batsmen have been performing, in terms of consistency this season, here are the number of innings, their average followed by, in brackets, their average taking out their their biggest score of the season. It rather demonstrates how one innings can skew some player's overall contribution to the team:

10 - DBD 54.55 (21.11)

4 - Finch 45.25 (22.33)

17 - Cox 24.06 (16.80)

9 - Qadri 21.12 (13.86)

3 - McKerr 20.50 (18.00)

8 - Hogan 18.75 (16.67)

8 - Agar 16.00 (10.17)

12 - Quinn 11.30 (8.44)

11 - Denly 7.63 (3.90)

2 - Bhuiyan 7.00 (4.00_

You could take away the worst and the best score but it wouldn't make much difference simply because that highest score is so far away from the average whereas the lowest simply isn't. If you take away someone like DBD's 300 not out on an absolute road against by far the weakest opposition in the Division, namely Northants, is that a better indication of a player's overall contribution in the season? That was out of a total of 621 and an innings that included Muyeye's record score of 179. Why does a player who can score 300 in one innings only managed to average 21.11 for the rest of the season?

To use your analogy though, if your handicap is as you say 16 and you then shot a round of 2 over (the golfing difference of scoring 0 and 300), how would your handicap be adjusted? 
  • This will be Arshdeep's final game. Does that mean that we won't try to sign an overseas bowler for the final three games of the season in September given that he could be the difference between staying up and going down? 
  • https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/albert-geddes-join-kent-on-loan-for-nottinghamshire-match/

Toby Albert in on one game loan from Hampshire and Ben Geddes from Surrey 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/albert-geddes-join-kent-on-loan-for-nottinghamshire-match/

Toby Albert in on one game loan from Hampshire and Ben Geddes from Surrey 
    Hence the delay in announcing the squad for tomorrow's game. It also demonstrates how stretched our squad is at the moment. 
  • edited July 2023
    Geddes is a real talent. Had a huge impact in a few games in the county champ at the end of last season and believe he captained up for a chunk of the 50 over. Really highly thought of at the Oval. I think we were expecting him to come in when Foakes was with the test side and Smith to take the gloves. Obviously that hasn't happened so his opportunities have been limited this year but he is certainly in Surrey's plans. Probably ahead of Patel in our thinking (though Patel is top 3 and Geddes is middle order).
  • So, no DBD, Cox, Denly, O'Riordan and Gilchrist (all injured), Billings (leave of absence), Crawley (England0 and Stewart (playing for Italy). But we've added two loans plus Blake who hasn't played a red ball game in years. What's the bet Blake is the 12th man as the super sub fielder? 
  • If Blake and Jas Singh are left out then, by my reckoning, this will be the first time I can ever recall us putting out an XI that did not include a single player who played an age group game for us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Blake has played three red ball county games recently. For Cornwall. In fact, he's on.the final day of the game against Shropshire today, so I very much doubt he'll be back in the Kent team tomorrow (much as I would welcome it!).
  • Blake is currently 29 not out...
  • Pedro45 said:
    Blake has played three red ball county games recently. For Cornwall. In fact, he's on.the final day of the game against Shropshire today, so I very much doubt he'll be back in the Kent team tomorrow (much as I would welcome it!).
    He plays red ball most Saturdays too for Beckenham. I should have said in the CC
  • Meanwhile, Nottinghamshire's raid on Worcestershire continues. Not content with already having taken Josh Tongue and Dillon Pennington, they have now signed Jack Haynes on a three-year deal. 
  • Meanwhile, Nottinghamshire's raid on Worcestershire continues. Not content with already having taken Josh Tongue and Dillon Pennington, they have now signed Jack Haynes on a three-year deal. 
    That's ridiculous. There's got to be a compensation scheme brought in when players of a certain age switch counties like this, when the county that brought them through wanted them to stay.
  • Leus du Plooy, Derbyshire's captain, is joining Middlesex next season
  • edited July 2023
    Meanwhile, Nottinghamshire's raid on Worcestershire continues. Not content with already having taken Josh Tongue and Dillon Pennington, they have now signed Jack Haynes on a three-year deal. 
    Shameful from notts. dread to think how the Worcestershire members are feeling right now. It’s becoming Utterly pointless supporting a county cricket club 

how are counties supposed to improve and compete when anyone half decent is just being grabbed ? Took Joe Clarke from them too didn’t they? 
    That's ridiculous. There's got to be a compensation scheme brought in when players of a certain age switch counties like this, when the county that brought them through wanted them to stay.
    It is a real issue. The likes of Worcester and ourselves can't afford to hand out long term contracts to too many players which does leave us open to poaching. Handing those out doesn't guarantee success either as evidenced with the form of two of the highest paid players on the books, Billings and Denly, this season who have another two years of theirs to run. So you potentially end up losing the younger up and coming ones because they are on the least money and there is no compensation for the Club. Any transfer system would have to be agreed by the majority but, effectively, the bigger counties would end up paying for something that they have never had to previously. 
    It is a real issue. The likes of Worcester and ourselves can't afford to hand out long term contracts to too many players which does leave us open to poaching. Handing those out doesn't guarantee success either as evidenced with the form of two of the highest paid players on the books, Billings and Denly, this season who have another two years of theirs to run. So you potentially end up losing the younger up and coming ones because they are on the least money and there is no compensation for the Club. Any transfer system would have to be agreed by the majority but, effectively, the bigger counties would end up paying for something that they have never had to previously. 
    To be fair, we've also taken players from other counties. Evison, Qadri, Gilchrist for example, and before them the likes of Milnes and Podmore all chose to come here rather than stay at their original counties.
    To be fair, we've also taken players from other counties. Evison, Qadri, Gilchrist for example, and before them the likes of Milnes and Podmore all chose to come here rather than stay at their original counties.
    None which you mention were their main players or getting opportunities regularly whereas the ones Worcestershire are losing are their star players.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Pedro45 said:
    Blake has played three red ball county games recently. For Cornwall. In fact, he's on.the final day of the game against Shropshire today, so I very much doubt he'll be back in the Kent team tomorrow (much as I would welcome it!).
    He plays red ball most Saturdays too for Beckenham. I should have said in the CC
    I am sure Hayes must be well happy about him playing for Beckenham 

Indeed and the common denominator is that they all bowl. In the same way as we've had a shortage of bowlers other counties might lack keeper/batsmen so to that extent some of those players might be surplus to requirements. Whether that extends to losing Robinson and Cox and now rumours that Billings might be concentrating on white ball cricket is very debatable as it would be for Worcester to lose bowlers such as Tongue, Pennington and Brown in one go. 
  • edited July 2023
    Pedro45 said:
    I am sure Hayes must be well happy about him playing for Beckenham 
    Good point. Probably as happy as Beckenham are that he is playing for Hayes along with MacVicar!!!

10 - DBD 54.55 (21.11)

4 - Finch 45.25 (22.33)

17 - Cox 24.06 (16.80)

9 - Qadri 21.12 (13.86)

3 - McKerr 20.50 (18.00)

8 - Hogan 18.75 (16.67)

8 - Agar 16.00 (10.17)

12 - Quinn 11.30 (8.44)

11 - Denly 7.63 (3.90)

2 - Bhuiyan 7.00 (4.00_

You play off 16 and finished 2 over par? 

That’s brilliant but also banditry to the supaclive level 
    It's quiet obvious I meant bogies 😬😂
    I think most of those - perhaps excepting Evison weren’t playing regularly at the original county, and they came to us for a better opportunity of playing 1st team. 

Notts and the other Test counties usually poach regular players from smaller counties which is more damaging
  • Question re billings. Are kent paying him? If so, I would like a 6 month job where I get to take 3 months off paid!!!
    I think most of those - perhaps excepting Evison weren’t playing regularly at the original county, and they came to us for a better opportunity of playing 1st team. 

Notts and the other Test counties usually poach regular players from smaller counties which is more damaging
    We've been quite lucky in that respect but losing Robinson and Milnes last season and possibly Cox this would be three established players that will have left us. I'm not sure, with the possible exception of Crawley, DBD and Muyeye, based as much on promise, whether there really is anyone left in the cupboard who would be that desirable to a bigger county?  
  • Well we now know why Blake was in the squad as well as newly acquired Albert and Geddes - Muyeye has failed a late fitness test so that's six batsmen we have out for one reason or another. It is also clear that, for whatever reason and even when we are running on empty, Billings isn't able to play. It will be interesting to see if he turns out in The Hundred.

The other surprise is that Qadri has been left out meaning that we have both rookies, Bhuiyan and Jas Singh, playing. With no Stewart or Qadri, that means that we have Quinn batting at 8 which really does mean that we have a tail.

Kent won the toss and elected to bowl