Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Garner Gawn? (Ed. CORRECT - GARNER SACKED p6, and again by Colchester p32)

Comments

• Was never impressed with him, I have a general dislike of managers who constantly blame officials which he very much did.
    I know nothing about Colchester's squad but given where they are you would think playing tippy tappy "total" football could be dangerous for them this season at least.
    Hope he succeeds as I like Colchester.
  • I heard from someone working there he had lost a lot of the dressing room and had no respect from the training ground staff because of the way he treated them.

I would also add that I heard many of the Swindon players were delighted when they lost in the play-off last season because they were fairly sure it would be the end of him.  He really wasn't popular.  Their fans echoed that sentiment when he joined us too.

I hope it works out for him at Col U
  • Not sure his footballing philosophy actually matches the leagues he manages in, which is always difficult as how do you prove yourself of a team higher up if you can't get the shite in the lower leagues playing the way you want? 

The opposite seems to have worked over the years for the likes of Pulis and Dyche though
  • I wasn't very impressed with him. But I wish him no ill will and like most who leave Charlton maybe he'll prove us it was a mistake to let him go 
    The majority of our former managers are at a lower level or unemployed at the moment...
  • edited March 2023
    Can't say I took to Garner as a person as there was always a real air of arrogance about him. That said in a couple of games this season he did serve up some of the most enjoyable football I've seen at The Valley for many a year. Good luck to him.
  • Wish him all the best , don't feel like he was ever properly backed to deliver but produced some excellent performances like the win over Pompey at home. 
  • wish him well. didn't think much of some of his recruiting (hampered) and tactics but he always came across as a half decent bloke if a tad arrogant (have to be in this business). Think personally he might become a decent manager if he can adapt to lower league playing style. 
  • Nailed on Jack Payne being at Colchester next season
  • Can't say I took to Garner as a person as there was always a real air of arrogance about him. That said in a couple of games this season he did serve up some of the most enjoyable football I've seen at The Valley for many a year. Good luck to him.
    I think the bar has been the lowest it’s ever been for context 
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck to the bloke. He left a good job at Swindon where he was doing well playing good football. Picked up the shitty end of the stick with us and tried too hard to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Should have just accepted he had a sows ear and adjusted accordingly. He didn’t. Hope he does well and sticks two fingers up at Sandgaard.
  • Under him, we played some great passing football that was a joy to watch. It's not his fault that we didn't have a goalscorer to capitalise, but we still don't have one and still don't score. The blame for that lies elsewhere. I would like to have seen him be a bit more flexible in approach, particularly when other teams had figured out how to beat us. You can't keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. Unless the quality in your team is so much better than the rest of the division, you have to shake things up a bit. I wonder though whether he felt enabled to do that with the noises TS had made about playing style. It's all water under the bridge now though. I wish him well at Colchester, but priority has to be us getting more points under Holden.   
  • edited March 2023
    Think people were overly abusive and offensive towards Garner as he was clearly promised the world and then forced to make do with lower League One players that didn't suit his style. 

He'll continue to do well implementing his style elsewhere as we continue to play poor football with poor quality players. 
  • cabbles said:
    Nailed on Jack Payne being at Colchester next season
    We can but hope.
    We need another huge clear out.  Although, there’s not that many that are under contract now going into next season.  If we’re still left with TS funding us, expect lots of youngsters 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I liked him, was building us into a good footballing side, we just didn't have a striker to capitalise on the many many opportunities. That and the defenders weren't quite up to scratch. 

He deserved a full season. 
    I didn't see what you clearly did under Garner. It seemed like passing for the sake of passing much of the time (mostly in our own half) and our possession usually broke down before it even got to our striker. 

I do agree with others that Garner wasn't backed sufficiently. If TS had this vision of ripping up JJ's more up and at em style he should have sanctioned an overhaul of players that was needed for Garnerball. Freebies from L2 made up the bulk of our summer business and didn't quite cut the step up.

Hope it works out for Ben at Col U and that he has learnt from the experience at CAFC. He didn't manage up very well and showed some immaturity at times which is probably why he finds himself back down in L2.
  • Garner was OK for the most part, I didn’t like it when he got touchline yellow and red cards.
    Bad example.
  • seth plum said:
    Garner was OK for the most part, I didn’t like it when he got touchline yellow and red cards.
    Bad example.
    Yes, he came across as a bit immature at times
  • I remember the Not the Top 20 podcasters at the start of the season questioning whether Garner could translate Garnerball from Swindon to Charlton, as at Swindon he had players who were amongst the best in their division, L2, whereas he would be trying to repeat the feat at Charlton with average players in their division, L1
  • Sponsored links:

• Still no win for Garner at Colchester, who are only 3 points above the drop. 
  • Was tasked to put on a Michelin star spread with a fridge full of pork pies and scotch eggs. 

Pork
    pies that he purchased 
  • Unfortunately Garner inherited a squad that fires blanks and he hasn't been able to improve on that - they've only scored 34 goals in 39 League games and just 5 of them have come in the last 10 matches. Ironically, two of those came away to the runaway leaders in the Division, Orient. 
  • Unbeaten in 3, showing some grit ;) 
  • Trouble is he is just such a good manager he is too good for them, much like he was for us.  Needs to be managing in the Championship which is where his style and skills lie... 
    Or he is just a bit of a pony whinge bag.
  • Unfortunately Garner inherited a squad that fires blanks and he hasn't been able to improve on that - they've only scored 34 goals in 39 League games and just 5 of them have come in the last 10 matches. Ironically, two of those came away to the runaway leaders in the Division, Orient. 
    We missed out on the striker he wanted and who was his number one target .. bid accepted but joined Huddersfield for 500.000 ,,100,000 more than we agreed . Strange thing he hardly played for them ? Could have been diff if we had signed him 
  • Trouble is he is just such a good manager he is too good for them, much like he was for us.  Needs to be managing in the Championship which is where his style and skills lie... 
    Or he is just a bit of a pony whinge bag.
    I think you are right. Garner needs players who can play how he wants. Not easy with third and fourth tier players. Personally I think he’d be better off getting a coaching roll in The Premier League. 
  • Garnerball has all gone wrong at Colchester. They've only had 39% possession first half vs Crewe
  • Leuth said:
    Garnerball has all gone wrong at Colchester. They've only had 39% possession first half vs Crewe
    But winning 3-0
  • Leuth said:
    Garnerball has all gone wrong at Colchester. They've only had 39% possession first half vs Crewe
    But winning 4-0