Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Bristol Rovers | Saturday 17th December 2022

Absolutely dominant for the first 20 minutes under caretaker manager Anthony Hayes, who underscored his desire to move more quickly in attack in his pre-match interview. The difference was made by midfielders Rak-Saki and Payne flooding into the box; we could have been three or four nil up in the first half.

Absolutely abysmal in the second half. Flat and second to every ball, we allowed Bristol Rovers to grow into the game. An individual error from Ryan Innis allowed substitute John Marquis to score after only five minutes on the pitch. Heads dropped, predictably, and we never looked like getting back into it as the writing was on the wall. Not long after, Marquis struck again and Bristol Rovers never looked back.

If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t want to know how much deeper we can fall. We can’t keep a clean sheet to save our lives and still, after multiple opportunities to strengthen, we’ve failed to address our defensive frailties. Well, not frailties, they’re gaping holes in our centre back pairing.

Charlton 1 Bristol Rovers 2

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    Don't watch much league 2 football but is it safe to say we are pretty much a league 2 outfit?
    ... Or am I doing League 2 a disservice and we're much worse than that??
  • Options
    Thank you Innis.
  • Options
    Can I be the first to say I hold a very specific disdain for Marquis in particular! 
  • Options
    Rock bottom comes in January when we actually sink to rock bottom of League 1
  • Options
    Little ability, no leadership or confidence. Relegation feeling.

Two and a half hour drive home.

Happy days.

• Options
    Tough run of matches coming up. Could be bang in trouble after Pompey 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We need the VanDijk of League One/the Championship if we want to go where we want to go. Our primary problems is we concede too many goals. We just gift them!
  • Options
    Don't watch much league 2 football but is it safe to say we are pretty much a league 2 outfit?
    ... Or am I doing League 2 a disservice and we're much worse than that??
    No am thinking National league right now local derbies with bromley should be real edge of the seaters events.
  • Options
    40/1 to go down worth a score all day long 
  • Options
    Feeling of apathy is killing me this is on you TS
  • Options
    New manager bounce. 

All kidding aside, this has got relegation written all over it. The only thing saving us is there are three or four genuinely shite teams below us. But maybe for not too much longer. All very sad. I’m glad I’m not there to witness it.
  • Options
    Is there anyone that still doesn't think our defence is the problem?

Sandgaard needs to get a proper manager in and he needs to do it before we play Peterborough following what will surely be an absolute humiliation against Brighton.
  • Options
    Sigh.

Just sigh!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So, the same 2 main problems we have had all season.
    1. We have no natural goalscorer, so we have to have 6 efforts to get one goal. Therefore we do not score consistently.
    2. We play 'Garnerball' at the back with players who cannot pass the ball or control it properly. So we give goals away.

Not scoring with our chances and giving goals away, all aboard the relegation express.

• Options
    New manager bounce. 

All kidding aside, this has got relegation written all over it. The only thing saving us is there are three or four genuinely shite teams below us. But maybe for not too much longer. All very sad. I’m glad I’m not there to witness it.
    But we'll need to learn to beat those teams?

At HT Rovers got accused of being average... and whilst we should have scored more, they ensured that we didnt - Does no one realise now that to do well at this level, the answer isnt necessarily to throw money at a problem and hope it sticks, its to create unity amongst of individuals and turn them into a squad...

Bristol Rovers had that by the bucket load today, as do most other sides this season, hence why when we've gone up against half the Division, we've barely come away with a point, thats if we've been lucky.
  • Options
    cazo said:
    40/1 to go down worth a score all day long 
    I bet you can't get 40/1 now.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

Sandgaard needs to get a proper manager in and he needs to do it before we play Peterborough following what will surely be an absolute humiliation against Brighton.
    Funny to think that when we drew Brighton it felt like a winnable game, especially when they were going to have a month off.

A week’s a long time in football..
  • Options
    Innis cost us the game. Tackled for the first and a crap clearance for the second. Whole shape fell apart after they scored and going three at the back made us look very vulnerable. How Payne stayed on the whole game I just don't know. CBT looked ill to me, or not bothered? 

Wednesday will be Hayes last game in charge hopefully.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

You think a manager changes Lavelle and Inniss?

Inniss has had 4 different managers and still cocks up multiple times at LCB. 

WE NEED A SPORTS PSYCHOLOGIST.
    We need better players.
    We need a better owner.
    We need to evolve.

Right now we're critically endangered and at risk of extinction. I do not believe we'll ever get back to the Championship if we go to L2, forget the PL.
  • Options
    We are currently a gutless team, in desperate need of new owners, a manager, 6/7 top level players and in particular 2/3 v good defenders. Make no mistake if we don’t get the correct new players in Jan, relegation is a very real possibility. It’s like a horrific nightmare currently when it comes to football.
  • Options
    My Dad has been telling me for months that he thinks we'll go down this season.

I'm starting to think he's right. I don't see the necessary fight or skill in our squad to keep us up. Worrying times.