Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Bristol Rovers | Saturday 17th December 2022

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    Our caretaker-manager, interviewed by Louis Mendez:

"It's difficult at the moment to put it into words."
    You think about it, son.

"...the first goal swings momentum completely..."
    Evidently wrong: we scored first, yet lost.

"We've conceded the ball a little bit today but that was a ploy - I wanted them to take the game to us, to leave spaces for us to exploit."

A ploy - concede possession. What the actual fuck? Get rid of this fool. Now.

He didn't actually say that did he??? We PURPOSELY gave the ball away? 

That is outrageous if it's true. 
    Not seen the interview but I imagine "conceding the ball" means letting BR have possession and then catching them on the break into the "spaces for us to exploit". Not giving the ball away aimlessly. 

It worked first half as we consistently broke up play & moved the ball forward swiftly, sometimes with the minimum of passes and out to our speedy wide players. 

Just a shame we could only do it for 30 mins. 

So it was just a poor choice of words to explain then. Standing down my outrage (lol)

I don't disagree with that tactic if the opposition is limited on the ball (which they definitely were)
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Another cold and dismal afternoon down The Valley. A very good first half hour, during which we created a number of opportunities, but we all know that this Charlton team is incapable of keeping a clean sheet and 1-0 was never going to be enough, even against a limited Bristol Rovers side. They were bound to improve in the second half and, once Inniss had committed his two howlers, our heads went down and we never looked like getting back into the game.

That was a real nadir and I can't see us getting much, if anything, out of the next three League games against Peterborough, Oxford and Pompey. If so, we'll be firmly rooted in the bottom 6 (if not occupying the final relegation slot). Make no mistake, we are in big trouble - this team has forgotten how to win and our soft underbelly is there for all to see. We have no manager at the helm, lack leadership on the field (Dobson excepted) and most of these players don't look to have the stomach for a fight. Desperate times.
    Both you & Hayes said the same thing. This team can't win 1-0. We are not likely to keep a clean sheet - ergo, we need to score more goals. 

T'was ever thus.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    DOUCHER said:

Charlton have a fatal soft centre. Eamonn Dunphy, intelligent player for Millwall and Ireland, played for us in 1973 and wrote in a seminal book. He said: “Charlton have no heart, no spirit”.

Dunphy is right. We are weaklings. Since Lennie Lawrence and Alan Curbishley, we have no guts, no fire. Watch our players now: they are pansies, passing the parcel across the back – and get caught out.

Many folk on this forum say our dodgy defenders should “just hoof it”. Where to? Our midfield can’t control a simple pass. Watch closely – they have to check to collect – then can’t control a simple ball. It bobbles up, there’s a kerfuffle – and goes out of play…

Our midfield can’t tackle. We are physically brushed aside every time. Our Third Division opponents have better players sidelined by injuries – yet their squad players have far more skill, guts, and intelligence than ours.

We have a throw-in in an attacking position. Our man stands frozen, ball over head. No-one moves to receive. Ball is thrown back – man passes it back farther – opponents sprint, and ball goes out of play. As a sport, football is heroic. The way we play, it is idiotic.

Of course Sandgaard is all wrong. And so is our recruitment, and the coaching staff – dribbling around the back. Passing from one liability to another – then the spark of John Marquis nips in and scores.

Just imagine Stockley or Kirk with those chances that Marquis took. Neither would sprint to intercept. They would not have the quickness of thought to pounce – they would bumble and fumble, trip on the ball or sky over the bar...

Hartlepool and Harrogate next year? Stockport were non-league last season, yet beat us good and proper.

Our players are physically weak and mentally dim. This entire club needs sacking, and starting again.

we're low at the moment but two points need to be made here:

1) You're an idiot
    2) How much more heart and spirit did millwall have than us when they were wollowing in lower divisions for most of their history than us? 
    A couple of simple points, Doucher, and they are nothing to do with Millwall, or you "feeling low":

1) You can't spell, capitalise, write with basic grammar or syntax. And:
    2) You are the idiot - for slagging me off and being ignorant about football.

Watch it!  I want us to be relegated. That would shock the weaklings and apologists, like you.    
    I assume this is a joke?
    In no world is being relegated to League Two a good thing. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

Charlton have a fatal soft centre. Eamonn Dunphy, intelligent player for Millwall and Ireland, played for us in 1973 and wrote in a seminal book. He said: “Charlton have no heart, no spirit”.

Dunphy is right. We are weaklings. Since Lennie Lawrence and Alan Curbishley, we have no guts, no fire. Watch our players now: they are pansies, passing the parcel across the back – and get caught out.

Many folk on this forum say our dodgy defenders should “just hoof it”. Where to? Our midfield can’t control a simple pass. Watch closely – they have to check to collect – then can’t control a simple ball. It bobbles up, there’s a kerfuffle – and goes out of play…

Our midfield can’t tackle. We are physically brushed aside every time. Our Third Division opponents have better players sidelined by injuries – yet their squad players have far more skill, guts, and intelligence than ours.

We have a throw-in in an attacking position. Our man stands frozen, ball over head. No-one moves to receive. Ball is thrown back – man passes it back farther – opponents sprint, and ball goes out of play. As a sport, football is heroic. The way we play, it is idiotic.

Of course Sandgaard is all wrong. And so is our recruitment, and the coaching staff – dribbling around the back. Passing from one liability to another – then the spark of John Marquis nips in and scores.

Just imagine Stockley or Kirk with those chances that Marquis took. Neither would sprint to intercept. They would not have the quickness of thought to pounce – they would bumble and fumble, trip on the ball or sky over the bar...

Hartlepool and Harrogate next year? Stockport were non-league last season, yet beat us good and proper.

Our players are physically weak and mentally dim. This entire club needs sacking, and starting again.

1) You're an idiot
    2) How much more heart and spirit did millwall have than us when they were wollowing in lower divisions for most of their history than us? 
    A couple of simple points, Doucher, and they are nothing to do with Millwall, or you "feeling low":

Watch it!  I want us to be relegated. That would shock the weaklings and apologists, like you.    

I’m not apologising for anybody and I don’t back either hayes or garner or the shit most coaches trot out these days but you’re misunderstanding of what he means by concede possession is embarrassing, particularly given how much you’ve banged on about it - my other point stands regardless of my grammar / spelling 
  • Options
    Some proper characters on here. 

We're not quite at blind panic mode yet.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

1) You're an idiot
    With your first point you called him an idiot, with your second point you struggled to string a coherent sentence together and you spelt wallowing wrong 🤣

Do you get notified every time the word millwall is used on here or do u genuinely spend a lot of time reading this site ? Don’t worry about whether I can be coherent or spell my friend, u should have better things to do 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:

1) You're an idiot

I assume this is a joke?
    No but if the worse did happen you bounce back as soon as possible. The team we are playing this Wednesday night were one game away from going out of the football league v Hereford. 

They survived that and are now a decent Premier League team with a nice stadium. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:

1) You're an idiot

I assume this is a joke?
    No but if the worse did happen you bounce back as soon as possible. The team we are playing this Wednesday night were one game away from going out of the football league v Hereford. 

They survived that and are now a decent Premier League team with a nice stadium. 
    Swansea and Hull did similar as well.  It wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would certainly feel like it.
  • Options
    A few thoughts. Our first half hour was really great. We looked much quicker and decisive, pushed them hard a nd moved the ball quicker that of late, which gave us a real edge. However, goal apart, all the other chances were hald chances bar one from Rak-Sakyi which he fired into the bottom corned and their keeper stuck out a foot to knock away. Anywhere higher and it was a goal. But we only scored one and Brownie said a few times our deence is fragile and a clean sheet would be huge for us. And up stepped Inniss.  I waited until today to calm down but that was still one of the most moronic pieces of defending I've seen by a professional. Any normal defenderwould know you cannot just sit there at the back with the ball at your feet. A trick winger might be composed enough t dribble clear, although in league one that's not recommended. But Innis just stood there until he was pick pocketed, and all the momentum swung away. The second goal I could concede some of the excuses that have been made that Inniss is being asked to perform a style of football he cannot. i.e. Pass to another Charlton player without leaving the entire defence exposed. But again, Brown called it. Why s he playing if he is that poor at the game. Can we afford to have a player in the back four whose prowess is limited to knocking high balls away? I guess the squad is just so threadbare that we have no one better, which is just embarrassing. TS oversaw the building of this team ('football is easy') so sacking Garner was an admission of his own inability.
    Next annoyance. Fucking Stockley waving his arms and moaning at other players when they don't give him the ball. I'd cut him a certain amount of slack up til now that the service he gets is poor, but he doesn't create much himself, and the whining and kicking of goalposts is pretty naff - he has now scored the same number of goals at the Valley as an away striker who only came on at half time. Again, he ca look at Garner getting sacked and think - hey, I helped that to happen. 

I thought Payne looked very good all game, as did Dobson. Rak- Sakyi looked threatening again although he tired. Clare was, well..okay. CBT really didn't do much, and Lavelle is now as far as I am concerned another weak link. And Aneke looked as if he was saving himself for the brighton game, although when he came on we had disintegrated. And Fraser needs to step up on days like this, not vanish.

All in all, a day to forget. Or at least mark in the memory as a low point and one we need to use as a marker to avoid getting here again. I have no idea who will be in charge in january, although thanks to TS, we are now approaching another transfer window with no manager and so no idea who we might need to be buying. But there is a pretty clear set of positions where the current players are not good enough and need moving on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IMO there has been a huge amount of over reaction in some of the comments. The result was very disappointing, and like the Cheltenham game, we should have won it. The first half display was very decent and we were unlucky not to go in more than one up. I think if we had got the second goal that we deserved, then we would have won the game. However, we didn't score a second and the second half performance was poor, but not as bad as some are suggesting. Without the two huge defensive errors we would have won.

Innis's mistakes were howlers by any standard and the team spirit visibly disappeared after the equaliser. However, I think it is unfair for some to say that Innis didn't care. I am sure that hurt a lot and it must have been tough on him being cheered by the Gas supporters every time he touched the ball. We all know, and he probably knows too, that he is extremely limited playing out from the back, but he was also playing the wrong side to accommodate Lavelle. We desperately need O'Connell back along side him, and management need to tell him it is okay to hoof it if in doubt. 

Good to see Leaburn back from injury.

Disappointing and worrying (based on how close we are to the relegation zone) but not as terrible a performance as some are making out.

We really need to get behind the players and help the team get out of this mess, not get on their backs. Good to hear the covered end trying to get behind them in the second half, but we need more, whether or not they deserve it.
    Seriously... we just lost to Bristol Rovers at home for first time in over 60 years. The standard of this team is shite. There is no leadership, desire or passion. They are all nicking a living and deserve more abuse than they are getting imo.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    shirty5 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:

1) You're an idiot

I assume this is a joke?

Yes, but that was  despite nearly going out of business, not because they nearly went out of business. 
    I doubt it would be a breeze getting out of L2. 
  • Options
    Thought Bristol were really poor. No idea how they've come away with a result.

Despite being the better team, we didn't create that much outside of set pieces. I actually really rate Inniss in this division. Think his physical attributes are top-notch and in general a good player at this level. The header he scored was fantastic, but he needs to knock his brain farts on the head.

Some of it comes down to not having Wollacott back there to trust with the ball, but even so, it's completely unacceptable stuff from him. He'll be gutted.

TI thought the changes made by the manager at 1-1 led to a complete and utter shambles on the pitch. Balance was lost, we went from having control to players looking like they didn't know what was going on. It took us to go 2-1 down and nearly get in another muddle for us to change back to the system and calm was restored. 

Also I thought substituting CBT when he'd just finally started to get the better of his fullbackmade no sense. That's two games from Hayes where I think he's tried to mess around with everything too much and it's gone very badly. Stockport before the game and here at 1-1. Not looking good.

Having JRS and CBT on the traditional old-school winger sides to chip it in to Stockley is not what I'm looking for either tbh. JRS is technically our best player and I want him getting into shooting positions on his left foot. I wouldn't sacrifice that to serve up crosses to Stockley, personally.

The fact I thought we were comfortable for large chunks of this game makes me confident that we aren't going to go down, but we need to get this manager situation sorted out *competently*
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Inniss has always had the potential for moronic failings which cost the team
    His first error on Saturday was crass even for him
    To make a similarly dismal blunder so soon after the first proves he doesn't care
    If he gave a single shit for what he'd done the first time his adrenaline level would have been such that he couldn't be so dozy and half hearted, he's have got his foot through the ball and got rid.
    He's robbing a living and needs to be dismissed.  Attitudes like Inniss's are ruinously contagious.
    His retention on Saturday sends terrible messages to the likes of Zach Mitchell watching from the bench: namely - you're not even as good as him, fucking up like he did doesn't really matter.

Hayes's wishy washy bollocks in the post match is shaming "individual errors blah blah"  yes brilliant you mealy mouthed coward, we all saw who did it, don't treat us as simpletons.  Inniss's level of fuckwittery has to be condemned or Hayes makes himself part of the problem.   

Brighton's reserves will be looking forward to an English football scoring record on Wednesday
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    DOH!
  • Options
    W I O T O S 

Yeah you've posted on the wrong thread...
  • Options
    Told ya i'm going crazy already :s
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Inniss has always had the potential for moronic failings which cost the team
    His first error on Saturday was crass even for him
    To make a similarly dismal blunder so soon after the first proves he doesn't care
    If he gave a single shit for what he'd done the first time his adrenaline level would have been such that he couldn't be so dozy and half hearted, he's have got his foot through the ball and got rid.
    He's robbing a living and needs to be dismissed.  Attitudes like Inniss's are ruinously contagious.
    His retention on Saturday sends terrible messages to the likes of Zach Mitchell watching from the bench: namely - you're not even as good as him, fucking up like he did doesn't really matter.

Hayes's wishy washy bollocks in the post match is shaming "individual errors blah blah"  yes brilliant you mealy mouthed coward, we all saw who did it, don't treat us as simpletons.  Inniss's level of fuckwittery has to be condemned or Hayes makes himself part of the problem.   

Brighton's reserves will be looking forward to an English football scoring record on Wednesday
    No it doesn't

It might mean he's not good enough, it might mean that he's down in confidence or mentally confused, not knowing whether to pass short or long, retain possession or "get rid". 

After all throughout the World Cup we've seen the best players on the planet make crazy mistakes
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    shirty5 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:

1) You're an idiot

I assume this is a joke?

Yes, but that was  despite nearly going out of business, not because they nearly went out of business. 
    I doubt it would be a breeze getting out of L2. 
    They were lucky to get Steve Gritt as manager. That's in a large part what saved them.

https://wearebrighton.com/albiondatabase/true-gritt-steve-was-the-on-the-pitch-saviour-of-brighton/