Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Bristol Rovers | Saturday 17th December 2022

Comments

• Options
    A pretty good opening 30 mins then a shakey end to the first half.

Looked alright back to 433, then not very effective when deciding to changing to two other formations.

Same old problems, too much farting at the back at times (we didn't much in the first half) and players not capable of playing football being asked too. 

Just all became a little too predictable as the game went on.

• Options
    Wow! RonnieMoore said:
    MOM was Rovers keeper and rightly so he made 4 excellent saves in the first half when we totally dominated the first 45 and played some of our best football seen for a while ..we were so much in control then the 63 min it changed .. individual errors we seen it at Port Vale with Dobson and McG v Cheltenham today step forward Sean Clare there was no danger why oh why did he decide to pass across our back line to Inniss who we could all see had Marquis next to him .. that pass changed the game then we did it again this time the out of sorts ( that’s being nice ) CBT took the ball from their half back into ours towards our goal and passed the ball again like Clare across  our back line again putting Inniss under needless pressure .. 

They did not deserve anything .. but in Marquis they had a proven league one striker .. the same striker we had lined up to sign and the fans threw there toys out the pram .. BG came in and scrapped the deal .. well he was the striker we needed .

MOM Payne was excellent today … but CBT dis- interested performance him
    and Raki are not doing there jobs not creating anything.. 

another footnote Charlton asked Lee Bowyer to be caretaker manager but his agent was demanding to much money 

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    8000 season ticket holders? I’m blaming streaming. Never seen the Valley so empty on a Saturday afternoon for a league game. 

Forget energy bills increases. The same people found the extra tenner to watch that. Flush individuals

That first 60 minutes was decent from us 

Head up play the ball forward use the wide players. 

When one individual is at fault for both of there goals, then that’s a manager killer.

After Stockport that was ten times better bar one individual

Saturday before Christmas is always a tough one to get a crowd in. We are rubbish and have been on a steady downward projection for years. It been very cold recently. Many people are suffering financially. It’s not surprising the valley is poorly attended these days.
    With a performance like at Stockport and that second half today I doubt streaming will be on the up.
     I’m finding very hard to say anything positive about Charlton these days. 

• Options
    we are doomed to league 2 football under Sandgard, the man’s a disaster. Surely it’s time to try and force a nil nil and relearn how to defend as a team and not make silly mistakes and drop Innis.
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Another loss and step closer to the trap door. Makes a laughing stock of that fans charter to be honest, TS needs it stuck on him big time and be told what’s what. No more pussy footing around. 
    I think TS’s appearances will be very limited going forward. He knows things are only going to get more hostile towards him and his associates. Fingers crossed he f@cks off soon.
    Should the reports have substance I'd like to think Sandgaard was over here to sort the deal out sufficiently enough for him to be able to f*** off back to America, only returning to sign off the paperwork.
    However, we then await the next ownership and see what they can do.
    We live in hope.
    It's the hope that kills you 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    MOM was Rovers keeper and rightly so he made 4 excellent saves in the first half when we totally dominated the first 45 and played some of our best football seen for a while ..we were so much in control then the 63 min it changed .. individual errors we seen it at Port Vale with Dobson and McG v Cheltenham today step forward Sean Clare there was no danger why oh why did he decide to pass across our back line to Inniss who we could all see had Marquis next to him .. that pass changed the game then we did it again this time the out of sorts ( that’s being nice ) CBT took the ball from their half back into ours towards our goal and passed the ball again like Clare across  our back line again putting Inniss under needless pressure .. 

They did not deserve anything .. but in Marquis they had a proven league one striker .. the same striker we had lined up to sign and the fans threw there toys out the pram .. BG came in and scrapped the deal .. well he was the striker we needed .

MOM Payne was excellent today … but CBT dis- interested performance him
    and Raki are not doing there jobs not creating anything.. 

another footnote Charlton asked Lee Bowyer to be caretaker manager but his agent was demanding to much money 

Not like you to have a dig at the supporters when we lose a game
    Somebody has hacked his account.
  • Options
    Bad result today but that first 30 minutes was some of the best attacking football I have seen after suffering hours of that very boring Garnerball over the past months. I did not expect to see that and found it so refreshing. (Their goalkeper played well saved a few goal bound shots which kept us restricted to one up at half time).

Our players have shown they can play well but what happens to them when they let in a goal? Where is the  character on  the pitch? Where are the natural leaders calling for the effort and /or encouraging the younger players? We just seem to collapse and lose all cohesion. Then you get served the opposite in the game against Ipswich when we found something special to fight back in extra time. Confusing and very frustrating with no consistency.

We desparately need the players to adopt more responsibility and demand higher standards of play from all those around them. We have not had this for years. Unfortunately, Stockley`s loss of form and general arm waving is not fulfilling a captain`s role imo.

That's where we miss the likes of Pratley and Pearce (the player). We desperately lack on field leadership when there are setbacks, especially at a time when we have such an inexperienced coaching setup.

Pratley goal against Doncaster stopped us losing the playoffs in normal time, Pearce coming on at HT in the final; steadied things.
  • Options
    We are doomed I tell ya doomed!! Visions of us playing in the National League salivating upcoming derbies against Bromley.
  • Options
    Innis's 2 howlers for the goals were not his only ones. Twice he passed the ball to unmarked opponents but got away with it. What's happened to the defender we used to think was too good for L1?
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    8000 season ticket holders? I’m blaming streaming. Never seen the Valley so empty on a Saturday afternoon for a league game. 

Forget energy bills increases. The same people found the extra tenner to watch that. Flush individuals

When one individual is at fault for both of there goals, then that’s a manager killer.

Not sure you can blame streaming, in fact I would question how many people paid to watch it, or even watched it for free.

We are shit, awful to watch, the opposition aren't much better.  The day out with family or friends, I get, the habit, I get outside of that I really can't see why anyone would choose to watch it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m going to the Peterborough game as I’ve purchased hospitality tickets but unless there’s a change in ownership, that’s me done with it. Finished with Charlton … 😢. Heartbreaking watching performances like that 
  • Options
    cazo said:
    40/1 to go down worth a score all day long 
    I bet you can't get 40/1 now.
    19/1 with Paddy Power/Betfair. We are 100/1 to finish bottom with Bob's mob!
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:

Not sure you can blame streaming, in fact I would question how many people paid to watch it, or even watched it for free.

We are shit, awful to watch, the opposition aren't much better.  The day out with family or friends, I get, the habit, I get outside of that I really can't see why anyone would choose to watch it.
    Streaming is part of the issue not just with us but all other clubs in League one and Two. It’s a slowly but surely part of clubs fading away.

I got taken to football in the early 80’s by my patents. Being on the Big Match or Match of the Day was a one off. You had to be there to see it. It gets in your blood. Regardless of how crap it can be. But you come back, you want more or it and one day you tags your kids and they take their kids and it rolls on from there.

You don’t get that from a sofa 
    Judging by that, we are about the same age.  No you can't beat being there in the flesh but I bet a lot of people that didn't go today that normally would, be they seasons ticket holders or not, didn't stream it either.
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    I am beyond caring and embarrassed to say I am a fan
    Always be proud to be a Charlton fan.
    Well said. 
  • Options
    That’s a relegation squad if ever I saw one. 
  • Options
    As for Innis, post match commentary said words to the effect.... If the coaches can't change a players faults then he can't/ shouldn't be picked by the manager... But, our squad is so thin, that these players continue to get a game! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The only positive I have is that I've made £214.67 profit by betting against us in the last two games once we went one up.

Kicking myself now that I didn't put higher stakes on. I wonder if Inniss did?!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:

Your final paragraph is pretty much what it is all about for many fans, habit and meeting people.
    However, streaming surely is going to affect attendances.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    In the cold light of day, and looking at the overall picture, it's fucking dire. I hoped I would wake up and think, "It's only a game". But having to watch a WC final today that I think England should have been in, and after that horrorshow yesterday, I am still very down. 

I see no hope for Charlton. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Have people forgotten how bad O'Connell was as well ?. Get rid of Innis , Levell and O'Connoll . None can play with the ball at their feet and that's disgraceful for professional footballers. 
    Wrong re: EOC. He most certainly can play. And Inniss is good when he doesn't have to think, just clear, or knock it simply to EOC. He just froze today. Awful to see 
    When you called Inniss a cheat code, you could have actually specified that you meant for the opposition 
  • Options
    boggzy said:
    The only positive I have is that I've made £214.67 profit by betting against us in the last two games once we went one up.

Kicking myself now that I didn't put higher stakes on. I wonder if Inniss did?!

That’d be illegal wouldn’t it? Not sure that’s a fair allegation, no matter how bad the mistakes. 
  • Options
    If you’re forced to play Inniss surely you give him license to play the long ball out of defence if there’s even a hint of pressure. He’s a square peg in a round hole in a ‘Garnerball’ system. 
  • Options
    I said Charlton would win; didn't realise that Inniss would emulate a poor Sunday park CB.