Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Bristol Rovers | Saturday 17th December 2022

Comments

• Options
    RedRobin said:
     Clear out from top to bottom at this club and it starts with the board. 
    That's the key. Without this change, nothing else will
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Innis cost us the game. Tackled for the first and a crap clearance for the second. Whole shape fell apart after they scored and going three at the back made us look very vulnerable. How Payne stayed on the whole game I just don't know. CBT looked ill to me, or not bothered? 

Wednesday will be Hayes last game in charge hopefully.
    I honestly don't think it matters who is in charge at the moment. 
    The players are simply not good enough 
    I disagree.

We played some good stuff 1st half & should have gone in 3-0 up. They only got back into it because we wanted to play football 20 yards from goal. League 1 footballers should be clearing the ball, not trying to pass it around like they are Bobby Moore.

I disagree too, with you. Not sure we should have been 3-0 up, can't remember us missing any clear cut chances, plenty of half chances and opportunities that deserved better crosses etc but nearest we came to another goal was when the keeper put himself in the back of the net !!
  • Options
    We should have won by 4 or 5.
    Inniss gifted them 2 goals out of nowhere. 
    Speechless. 
    Said on match thread - it woulda been a "cleansheet draw" if Innis weren't playing.
  • Options
    Attendance given as 12 ,340

I imagine that there were never 9,000 bums on seats.
    I think they counted legs, not bums
    We had around 6k then?
    Closer to 6k than 12
  • Options
    I commented before the game on the 4 3 3 formation hoping that it would be a improvement on the Garner 4 3 3 or any variety except 4 4 2 that Garner dreamed up .. it wasn't the case .. early days perhaps, BUT Hayes looks fecking clueless, not unexpected I guess
    I think the first half performance was very good, although we faded during the last 15 minutes. I don’t get all the ‘worst performance I’ve ever seen’ rhetoric.
    The second half was sh1t, agreed, but that happens when a team has lost all confidence and self belief, and you centre half gives away two goals. Not sure you can blame Hayes for that though. 
    I know everything about the club is negative right now, but we should try to see positives, if and when they arise, and that first half was clearly an unexpected positive. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's it
    Don't blame the manager
    It's not the players' fault
    It's all the Chairman's and SMT

No. Collectively they are transpiring to make us a laughing stock.

It starts at the top but the players have to take some pride. The manager picks the team, sets the team up, makes the subs, does the team talk.

STOP passing it about in Defence on an almost frozen pitch. 1-0. Find channels. Turn their back 4.

Just WIN a game. Win it ugly.

Be professional.

We are an embarrasment.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Can't accept that Inniss is anywhere near good enough. He makes at least 1 mistake per 90 (usually more).

Wouldn't even want him in league 2, he is utterly useless.
    I'd not have played him again after he went through the Wimbledon geezer last season.
    This. He should never have played for us again after that. 
  • Options
    You know, I do believe this ship may sink.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I commented before the game on the 4 3 3 formation hoping that it would be a improvement on the Garner 4 3 3 or any variety except 4 4 2 that Garner dreamed up .. it wasn't the case .. early days perhaps, BUT Hayes looks fecking clueless, not unexpected I guess
    I think the first half performance was very good, although we faded during the last 15 minutes. I don’t get all the ‘worst performance I’ve ever seen’ rhetoric.
    The second half was sh1t, agreed, but that happens when a team has lost all confidence and self belief, and you centre half gives away two goals. Not sure you can blame Hayes for that though. 
    I know everything about the club is negative right now, but we should try to see positives, if and when they arise, and that first half was clearly an unexpected positive. 
    all my yesterdays .. in my (long) time supporting CAFC I have seen some absolutely terrible teams and performances .. so the present fiasco is nothing I have not seen before, more than once. Deja Vu is nothing new lol
    I agree about the first half .. my objection is the surrender as soon as we go behind, or even when the opposition draw level, totally, totally unacceptable and the management as well as the players bear responsibility for that situation 

we all know that we lack leadership and just old fashioned guts and bottle .. all this has been said umpteen times before .. how can a pro sportsman be as inept as some of our 'footballers;'
     .. What hasn't helped was Garner jumping from a listing ship and never mind about the 'broken promises', Garner's a grown man, a seasoned pro, not a silly little teenage sulky brat, though he has acted like one for the past few months and that went a long way to destroy what little confidence the squad had. I hope he never gets another managerial job EVER, plus of course i m o he was not all that anyway, not at all .. anyway he's gone

Hayes has been handed the proverbial poisoned  chalice and he so far doesn't seem to have the players on his side and reverting to 4 3 3 to my mind indicates as said above he is fucking useless .. let Pearce do the job, he can't be any worse .. can he ??
  • Options
    wasn’t that long ago that I would be at a home game whatever the comp. I could not think of anything worse than going on Wednesday:
  • Options
    The fact that Ryan Innis still puts a shirt on for this football club after doing what he did at Wimbledon last season says it all. There is no discipline, judgement or intelligence at this football club - on the pitch, off the pitch, anywhere you look. There are no standards and there are no consequences.

We are falling fast and though we have a tendency to lurch from one crisis to the next, this is the first time I can recall where we have nothing to hold onto - no gutsy players, no sentimental manager, no redeeming ownership or senior leadership, no forgiving crowd. There is no floor.
    Thought exactly the same. Him playing for us again after that tackle showed we have no standards
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    You know, I do believe this ship may sink.
    Mate it has sunk.

The RNLI are already out looking for any signs of life.
  • Options
    Lincs 
    I wasn't aware Garner jumped ship.
    Surely he was sacked. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    60 years ago give or take a week or two I was watching the teleprinter with my late Dad and commented that Spurs were our team as at the time they were the 'glamour' club. 'no they're not he said and lectured me on how the family had followed Charlton Athletic since the 1920s if not before. He then said that I was now old enough to go to Charlton and he said we (and my grandparents) would go to the 3rd round FA Cup tie against Cardiff City on the first Saturday of January.

I never got to that match as the winter of 1962/63 was such with snow and ice that games were postponed to such an extent that the Pools Panel was created. As an aside that cup tie was eventually played midweek (I wasn't deemed old enough to attend on a school night) and we won before being drawn against Chelsea and, thanks in the main to Bobby Tambling, getting hammered. 

However, I did eventually get to The Valley once the weather improved and that season set the scene for much of the next 60 years a battle with relegation which we eventually survived courtesy of a late goal from Cliff Durandt at The Valley to defeat Southampton and then an away win at Walsall in midweek. We stayed up on goal average at Walsall's expense. At the time we were in the old division 2, the equivalent of today's Championship.

I loved it all at the time and obsessively filled in my league ladders from my comic. In short despite lack of success I was hooked.

The purpose of this self indulgent tale is to state that for the first time in those 60 years I feel little or nothing in terms of enthusiasm for Charlton. Reading various threads I'm not alone in that which is sad for the future of the Club. 

I'm an old git so Katrien Meire, if she was still around, would probably open a bottle in celebration that another old git had bitten the Charlton dust. I sense that fans considerably younger than me feel the same way. 

I have grandsons and just don't see how I can inflict the misery of Charlton upon them. Taking them now would kill their enthusiasm for football in general let alone Charlton in particular.

Sad to be thinking this way but I can't help it even though 60 years of support should be something to celebrate as should introducing a sixth generation of Charlton fans.
    Nowadays you could just call Childline and that would be that. 
  • Options
    len Glover was my hero as a boy, followed by Matt Tees.I read the comments by “ Len Glover” on this thread and unfortunately feel the same. I was going to todays game but my daughter said she would visit with my grandchildren, I chose that option. It’s sad that’s what Charlton has become to me.
  • Options
    Innis can feck off.
    Stockley can feck off.
    Thomas can feck off. 
    Jetlag can feck off. 
  • Options
    I am beyond caring and embarrassed to say I am a fan
  • Options
    Am I the only person who disagrees with this 'we should have been 3 or 4 up at half time'? I thought we were ok against an average Rovers side who we let back it in for the last ten minutes of the first half. They were always going to be better second half whilst we were woeful all over the pitch, special mention in dispatches though to Inniss. However, in general, we are absolute toilet.
    Did you arrive late?
  • Options
    Attendance given as 12 ,340

I imagine that there were never 9,000 bums on seats.
    Hard to guess as the crowd was so thinly spread around. My guess 7,000
  • Options
    Well, no doubt a lot will be said over the coming days. We have all had enough, i know this club and its supporters will stay loyal. I see Andy Murray has given £500k to ukraine for his unicef role. Maybe the players should donate some of their money to the needy who have struggled this winter and will do for the months ahead. This will be a reality check and maybe they will get, sadly not the case, i cannot snd will not make excuses for the current bunch!