Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Bristol Rovers | Saturday 17th December 2022

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2022
    How many times are we going to put a new man in charge and they are unaware and have to learn the hard way (hard particularly on paying Addicks fans) that:
    • STOCKLEY CANNOT PLAY AS A LONE TARGET MAN
    • OUR SQUAD OF PLAYERS IS NOT GOOD OR INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO PLAY ANYTHING OTHER THAN 4-4-2
    And, at the earliest opportunity can we please show Clare, Lavelle, Inniss, Fraser, Stockley and Kirk the exit?
    4-4-2 is no longer the default system and the only one players play growing up. Many of them will have grown up on 4-3-3. Kirk and Fraser probably need three in midfield and three up from to play their best. It's worth noting that we looked best playing 4-3-3. The problem is not having a striker who can start who suits the 4-3-3.

Stockley was very good in the very 30 minutes. Taking him off to go two up top when both Leaburn and Aneke can play up front on their own and are more mobile than Stockley is baffling. 
  • Options
    I don’t normally call out players, but Inniss can fuck right off, hopefully that’s his last appearance in a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    So, the same 2 main problems we have had all season.
    1. We have no natural goalscorer, so we have to have 6 efforts to get one goal. Therefore we do not score consistently.
    2. We play 'Garnerball' at the back with players who cannot pass the ball or control it properly. So we give goals away.

Not scoring with our chances and giving goals away, all aboard the relegation express.

Same Shit different Saturday   
       I feel what Southbank has said is very accurate, we don’t have a good striker and we also leak Goals due to stupid defensive errors.
    conclusion…….utter Shite.
    time to Fuck Off TS & Son 👎👎👎👎
  • Options
    I forgot there was a game. First time that’s ever happened. Could partly be Christmas, could be that this club, under this ownership, doesn’t give a shite about its fans - with a team of players who are phoning it in. 
  • Options
    Didn't believe it until now, but we're definitely in a League One relegation battle.

What a time to be alive!!
  • Options
    Alexa... Sum up the result for me today in one picture!!

When did Tony Selby sign for us ? Well we do need to get some in, I suppose.
  • Options
    We can`t afford the luxury of Inniss in Central defence. He is an accident waiting to happen virtually every game. Gave away the game today and killed all the hard work in the first half. Surely he can no longer be a first choice after his under performances this season.
    No leadership (real Captain) on the field does not help either. 
    Relegation fodder at the moment. 
  • Options
    This is the worst Charlton team in terms of ability I’ve ever seen (only rivalled by the Parkinson x Powell season) but that’s not even the thing that annoys me most about these players. It’s the fact that at the first sign of even a minor inconvenience, they fall apart and forget how to play football. You are full grown men being paid about 10x the average London wage to be in the bottom half of your profession and yet you can’t even stand tall when things go wrong and keep things together. I can’t believe they’re not embarrassed to pick up their wages.
  • Options
    Should arguably be on the Savings and Investment thread but there is a very real danger of us going down with the Dow Jones. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't watch much league 2 football but is it safe to say we are pretty much a league 2 outfit?
    ... Or am I doing League 2 a disservice and we're much worse than that??
    No am thinking National league right now local derbies with bromley should be real edge of the seaters events.
    We'd need a better central pairing to compete at that level though.
  • Options
    Don't want to see Inniss ever play for Charlton again. Any manager worth his salt would give him the biggest bollocking ever. Our Schoolboy manager passing notes out with the subs to hand over just a joke. Jason Pearce may as well get his boots back on better than this crap we are watching. Not one player on that pitch deserved more than 5 marks out of 10. Spiritless, Gutless, we are now Charlton Pathetic!
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    I have never believed we could go down to Division Two … always had at least a modicum of optimism.  

For the first time, I’m not so sure.  
    That makes it sound OK.

Division 4
  • Options
    Am I the only person who disagrees with this 'we should have been 3 or 4 up at half time'? I thought we were ok against an average Rovers side who we let back it in for the last ten minutes of the first half. They were always going to be better second half whilst we were woeful all over the pitch, special mention in dispatches though to Inniss. However, in general, we are absolute toilet.
    You've answered it yourself Large, for all the chances, we only scored one and then had a complete shocker at the back, it's not for the first time this season and that tells you that your final phrase is spot on. 
  • Options
    I commented before the game on the 4 3 3 formation hoping that it would be a improvement on the Garner 4 3 3 or any variety except 4 4 2 that Garner dreamed up .. it wasn't the case .. early days perhaps, BUT Hayes looks fecking clueless, not unexpected I guess
  • Options
    I think we also need a leader on the pitch. It doesn’t look as though there’s anyone geeing players on. 
  • Options
    Attendance given as 12 ,340

I imagine that there were never 9,000 bums on seats.
    I think they counted legs, not bums
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I would guess about 7,000
  • Options
    edited December 2022

I think they counted legs, not bums
    7,500 more like.
  • Options
    Some of our fans believe that we have enough about us to perform better. 

We don't 

This is the worst group of players in living memory 

Hayes is the 5th person put in charge by Sandgaard to try and get a tune out of them

Unfortunately the tune is as bad as when Tommy boy tries to strum his guitar. 

Utter shit squad of players 

All down to you Sandgaard 

Just sell the club and FUCK OFF 
    This 100% - we’re only 2 or 3 or 6 or 7 players away from being an outfit capable of promotion I keep being told.  We’re not.  As you say, this is the worst group of players in living memory, and if you’re still deluded enough to think that doesn’t include the likes of CBT, Aneke and whoever else we convince ourselves just need better players around them to make a go of it, my personal opinion is, you’re bonkers!

Remember when Aneke came back against Exeter.  The reaction on here was as if the lord Jesus Christ had appeared to lead the souls of the dammed out of the depths of league 1.  12 games later and he can just about give us 20 minutes and his sum contribution is 3 goals and 1 assist in his 12 cameos.  Just one of those goals in the League by the way.

Other things on my mind - does Inniss have a brain?  Serious question when you consider his disciplinary record and continued mistakes.  I think this is something that needs looking into 

I have no doubt in my mind we are the dregs of what has been produced as a result of TS’ incompetence, but these players are a disgrace, and should not be immune from getting pelters.  I couldn’t go today so watched it on the stream.  They were all going over to one another and shaking hands with each other at the end.  There was no shame.  It’s all a quick back slap and hug and watching their body language, you could tell they don’t give a flying ****.  

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Positives ...

Edit - thought of one. A day closer to next takeover!
  • Options
    Have people forgotten how bad O'Connell was as well ?. Get rid of Innis , Levell and O'Connoll . None can play with the ball at their feet and that's disgraceful for professional footballers. 
    People saw a few okay performances up until he got injured and have conned themselves into believing he may be a decent footballer.  We can’t say for certain.  My gut tells me he’ll be no more remembered in years to come than the other load of guff in the last few years, but it’s too early to say for sure 
  • Options
    This is what you get when you buy/get in players nobody wants , I am fed up with innis, lavelle, Shockley{obviously) aneke, clare, Dobson, Kirk, in fact most of them
    if you buy cheap there is a reason, I’d rather play the kids and go down with them , cos we are going down….. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    I was confused as to why CB was our top priority going into deadline day instead of LB, where I felt we lacked cover, or CF, where we lacked quality.

I understand now. It's not that we needed CB cover, we have a lot of CBs on the books. It's that we needed CB quality, ie someone in addition to O'Connell who can pass to a teammate and not panic with the ball at his feet.

We didn't get that. O'Connell got injured, and despite Mitchell making great strides, here we are. 

For as bad as Inniss was second half, I cannot think of one play Lavelle has made this season. Absolutely nothing. I constantly forget he's on the field. And while today isn't his fault, it's a very damming indictment of a CB who allegedly cost 200k.

Other than that, first half was really good, we pressed and we created chances. We tired after 30 minutes. Then in the second half we sat off them. We switched formation and looked confused, and then made two individual mistakes and lossed the game with a whimper. 

I do think these players are better than their league position. But individual mistakes kill this team. Some of that is coaching, particularly not getting the players to play cohesively and cover for each other. Some of it is the fact that we have League One players, and they play in League One for a reason. 

I really don't know where we go from here. A new head coach is obviously needed. No offense to Hayes and Pearce, but tactically, the last two games have been a shambles at times. The subs today were baffling.

If it was your money, would you invest heavily in this squad in January? TS invested heavily in January last season which made it so that we went from mid table at Christmas to mid table in May.

I don't believe the whole players are stealing a living thing, I just think some of them are not that good, and that as a whole, it's not a cohesively put together squad. Fraser, Stockley, Aneke, CBT, JRS, Dobbo, Sess, Clare, JFC, Payne, and Kirk all have been good L1 players in the past. Maybe not top two, but definitely in and around the playoffs. I think Leaburn, O'Connell, and Jojo have all shown they can play at this level. The problem is there just isn't the quality and consistency around them to enable them to play their best football. And if we're serious about sustained, long term success, that will probably take another 2-3 windows of clearing out deadwood and bringing in good players which will require big money, plus improving the players we currently have, and ideally developing the likes of Deji, Mitchell, Henry, and Leaburn.

This is a multi year project as it stands. And we have to do all of that while hoping we don't get relegated or get our best young players knicked. 

I cannot impress this upon some of you enough: who do you think is going to take over this team and ckub and make these changes? The era of cheap money via low interest rates is over. People will be looking for more assured investments, and the only assurance in football is that you will lose money. 

It's all very bleak. 
    SD both Innis and Lavelle are unable to marshall a defence, they are essentially the same type of player which is why there has been a reluctance to play them together, have a look at Lavelle's positioning for the second he's jogging out unaware of any danger around him should the ball return, which it did. As for Innis, he's leaving in May and that can't come soon enough.