Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Bristol Rovers | Saturday 17th December 2022

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    It's like watching a Hollywood movie where a bunch of misfits with bad attitudes have been gathered together into the league's biggest joke of a team. And what it needs is a cowboy manager to ride into town and turn them around in a montage of unorthodox training sessions and some breakthrough team bonding moments. 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if pictures were released of a Sparrows Lane passing drill where some of this lot had fags hanging out of their mouths and others were in the background carousing with hired women.
    Go through them individually and it's baffling though - they should be better than this but they're just so feeble together. That said, there are issues with application and attitude in some crucial parts of the pitch.

Just the mental side of the game, for yesterday's lot, as far as I can tell:

AMB - nothing amiss here
    Clare - could stand to pass it forward more and seems afraid to attack, otherwise very committed
    Inniss - okay, he has a screw loose, we all know this - he might freeze or go in far too hard - but he's always given 100% and isn't shy of the tough stuff
    Lavelle - I would argue he's much more of a weak link mentally than Inniss. He just doesn't challenge. There was one in the first couple of minutes yesterday when I was pleasantly surprised, but after that he just backed away and let them have it
    Sessegnon - elite mentality, wish he could last 90 more
    Dobson - will never, ever stop, holds it all together
    Fraser - has pleasantly surprised me with how much he's willing to get stuck in. Not just a fancy player. He just doesn't quite have the fitness for 90 (this is a theme)
    JRS - doesn't always take the right option. Because he's a teenager.
    CBT - hmm. Really doesn't always take the right option, and doesn't have JRS' excuse. But doesn't seem to shirk
    Payne - keep him in the XI. Utterly, utterly committed at all times. 
    Stockley -  okay here's where the issues really take hold. Seems to be protecting himself. Seems to be playing within himself. And there wasn't so much there (heading aside) in the first place. Moans. Has fucked us this season, and it's obvious to everyone. One of the major problems
    Aneke - another serious problem, alas. Last few games he's looked like he's protecting himself, hasn't been involved much. We all know what he can do, but if he's not even doing it in his 30 minutes...
    Leaburn - nothing amiss here
    Morgan - honestly, his mentality isn't the issue. If anything he tries too hard sometimes
    Chin - nothing wrong with his mentality. He's a bit flimsy and won't scare anyone, but he's committed
    Kirk - well, there's a reason he keeps getting dropped, isn't there

So, the attitude problems, as far as I see it, are mostly concentrated on our forward line. However, there are smaller issues all over the rest of the side, and it adds up. Together, it makes us weak. Our central midfield can't drag us out of the shit ever  
    That was an apology for some players, at the moment i'm not prepared to apologise for them. We all know that there were no teacups thrown and that they don't have any respect for the caretaker manager, poor bloke has only just got his badges. The squad is a result of the owners crass stupidity and his losses are in part due to that stupidity as well. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    IMO there has been a huge amount of over reaction in some of the comments. The result was very disappointing, and like the Cheltenham game, we should have won it. The first half display was very decent and we were unlucky not to go in more than one up. I think if we had got the second goal that we deserved, then we would have won the game. However, we didn't score a second and the second half performance was poor, but not as bad as some are suggesting. Without the two huge defensive errors we would have won.

Innis's mistakes were howlers by any standard and the team spirit visibly disappeared after the equaliser. However, I think it is unfair for some to say that Innis didn't care. I am sure that hurt a lot and it must have been tough on him being cheered by the Gas supporters every time he touched the ball. We all know, and he probably knows too, that he is extremely limited playing out from the back, but he was also playing the wrong side to accommodate Lavelle. We desperately need O'Connell back along side him, and management need to tell him it is okay to hoof it if in doubt. 

Good to see Leaburn back from injury.

Disappointing and worrying (based on how close we are to the relegation zone) but not as terrible a performance as some are making out.

We really need to get behind the players and help the team get out of this mess, not get on their backs. Good to hear the covered end trying to get behind them in the second half, but we need more, whether or not they deserve it.

...Massive understatement..."very disappointing"..🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:
    Smithy said:
    Inniss does what he did yesterday every single week, it’s just that he usually gets bailed out or bails himself out. These are not isolate incidents, he is a consistently mistake prone centre back and if Sandgaard had put any kind of money towards the team I don’t think we would have given him a contract extension
    If he just cleared it, when there isn't an easy ball on, he'd be a bloody good defender at this level. He needs a sports psychologist maybe but everyone saying he's a lost cause aren't looking at what he can and does do on the positive side
    It wasn't just about clearing it yesterday, there was zero awareness. He was literally looking at the Rovers player when he got the ball, turns back towards goal and thinks what? The attacker is just going to give up? It was pathetic defending, all the excuses in the world won't change that. 
    Of course it was, nobody is going to argue against that.
    Inniss is fine when he doesn't have to think, and can simply attack the ball. He's good at what he does best.

His problem is when he has time on the ball, trying to decide which option to take. It makes him unsure and indecisive.
    There's his issue.

He's a traditional centre back. That's his ability and strength.
    Expecting him to play a creative role from the back when he obviously struggles with it is the problem.

This is just more excuses imo. Unless Hayes has told him to never clear his lines then he has to engage a modicum of common sense and realise there's a time to clear the ball. He doesn't appear to have the intelligence to do so. 
    Not "just more excuses". There's no excuse for his dithering on the ball for the first goal - we all agree on that.

But there are reasons ....... if we ask why he did so, we can see there's a frequently occurring reaction when he's unsure and indecisive.
    That's what I highlighted.

Players play to instructions remember. There's a gameplan and Inniss is trying to play in accordance.
    It's painfully obvious that there are times when he struggles to do so. That's when he's vulnerable to cock ups.

If the player can't adapt, then the management must; either let the player play to his strengths or remove the player.
    That's what I've said.

• Options
    It’s far too late to bring in a new owner, a new manager and get investment in new players by the January window.  Sandgaard has structured us for failure and, in all probability, relegation and a continued downward spiral. If that was his goal doing it his way, he’s been successful.  No single manager around for a full window, destroying our club from the inside out, top to bottom, nepotism, egotism and now, it seems, disinterest.  I fear for the future, but I suspect it will start next season in Div 4.  Sadly all my worst fears about this guy and his idiotic views and antics have been proven correct, and it’s soul destroying.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Simonsen said:
    I was a centre-back for 30 years but I knew that I couldn't "play football." So, with every new partner or full back, I told them not to pass the ball to me unless I demanded it, as it would just lead to trouble. Clare shouldn't even have been thinking of playing the ball to Inniss in that situation but thats Garner who has drilled them to do that and now their thinking is muddled.

Inniss is the strongest, most dominant CB at Charlton so should play but he needs to be protected from having to play out. Somebody needs to tell him its ok just to whack it. If we can get a better CB in then great but until then make the best of Inniss. In a team that clearly lacks strong characters, he at least is a strong character and we will need buckets of character for the dog-fight. 
    And there I was thinking you were a small midfield with the class of Messi. 
    I was about as far away a player from Messi as is humanly possible. Our kit was light blue and white stripes though! Only played once in midfield and that was quite enough of that nonsense. Headed it, kicked it, told the others where they needed to be but let the others play the football. I'd prefer it if Inniss would adopt a similar approach. 
  • Options
    Our caretaker-manager, interviewed by Louis Mendez:

"It's difficult at the moment to put it into words."
    You think about it, son.

"...the first goal swings momentum completely..."
    Evidently wrong: we scored first, yet lost.

"We've conceded the ball a little bit today but that was a ploy - I wanted them to take the game to us, to leave spaces for us to exploit."

A ploy - concede possession. What the actual fuck? Get rid of this fool. Now.

To be fair Hayes looks like he has just left secondary school so he will be a little bit green around the gills….
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

You think about it, son.

"We've conceded the ball a little bit today but that was a ploy - I wanted them to take the game to us, to leave spaces for us to exploit."

To be fair Hayes looks like he has just left secondary school so he will be a little bit green around the gills….
    I thought they played in blue 😁
  • Options

You think about it, son.

He didn't actually say that did he??? We PURPOSELY gave the ball away? 

That is outrageous if it's true. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I tend to be fairly forgiving of our players as long as they are trying. I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for Innis. But I’ve had it up to here with him after yesterday. Twice was unforgivable. He walked to the Covered End and clapped the fans at the end too, which I could really only interpret as a piss take. 
  • Options

You think about it, son.

We went more direct, that's all. It worked, until it didn't
  • Options
    Have we ever had a bigger set of spineless wankers turning out for us?

The way they crumble after any setback is shameful.

No bollocks, no leaders, very little quality and pretty much no hope.
    And after they went behind next to nothing in seeking to get each other going or trying to do anything different. The caretaker should stick to looking after inanimate objects - or perhaps that is what he thought he was doing given all the inspiration he provided.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Smithy said:
    Inniss does what he did yesterday every single week, it’s just that he usually gets bailed out or bails himself out. These are not isolate incidents, he is a consistently mistake prone centre back and if Sandgaard had put any kind of money towards the team I don’t think we would have given him a contract extension
    If he just cleared it, when there isn't an easy ball on, he'd be a bloody good defender at this level. He needs a sports psychologist maybe but everyone saying he's a lost cause aren't looking at what he can and does do on the positive side
    He tried to clear the second one didn't he?
    The second one was clearly an attempted pass imo
    To my cousin in the North Stand.
    If he'd tried to clear it, it'd have stayed cleared.

Honestly, the second mistake was more unlucky than anything - two inches either side and the headed through-ball would have been impossible. But because he'd made the first one, Mud was his name
    Leuth... You've finally found your new Naby!
    Not really Naby although clumsy at times was an intelligent player. 
  • Options
    sm said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Smithy said:
    He tried to clear the second one didn't he?
    The second one was clearly an attempted pass imo
    To my cousin in the North Stand.
    If he'd tried to clear it, it'd have stayed cleared.

Honestly, the second mistake was more unlucky than anything - two inches either side and the headed through-ball would have been impossible. But because he'd made the first one, Mud was his name
    Leuth... You've finally found your new Naby!
    Not really Naby although clumsy at times was an intelligent player. 
    He did famously freeze at an unfortunate moment though...
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    I was a centre-back for 30 years but I knew that I couldn't "play football." So, with every new partner or full back, I told them not to pass the ball to me unless I demanded it, as it would just lead to trouble. Clare shouldn't even have been thinking of playing the ball to Inniss in that situation but thats Garner who has drilled them to do that and now their thinking is muddled.

Inniss is the strongest, most dominant CB at Charlton so should play but he needs to be protected from having to play out. Somebody needs to tell him its ok just to whack it. If we can get a better CB in then great but until then make the best of Inniss. In a team that clearly lacks strong characters, he at least is a strong character and we will need buckets of character for the dog-fight. 
    And there I was thinking you were a small midfield with the class of Messi. 
    Half of the problem with the defence playing out is the lack of movement off the ball by the midfield. The same problem often leads to us struggling with throw ins and getting free kicks to go forwards rather than backwards.
  • Options
    How to lose three points in one easy lesson.
  • Options

You think about it, son.

Not seen the interview but I imagine "conceding the ball" means letting BR have possession and then catching them on the break into the "spaces for us to exploit". Not giving the ball away aimlessly. 

It worked first half as we consistently broke up play & moved the ball forward swiftly, sometimes with the minimum of passes and out to our speedy wide players. 

Just a shame we could only do it for 30 mins. 

• Options

You think about it, son.

Thought under the circumstances the interview could have been worse. 
    Think under the circumstances we played very well in the first half. He told them to play quicker, with less passing about at the back, which is probably what we all wanted. All that possession this season has done us no favours, so taking a different approach is understandable. 
    We were undone by Inniss’s mistakes, not by our hugely inexperienced caretaker manager. ‘Get rid of this fool’ is way OTT imho. 
    That’s not to say we don’t obviously need a proper manager asap to get us out of this mess. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022

You think about it, son.

Anthony Hayes said all that in his interview after the game.  There are links above.

He encouraged our players to concede possession - so that we might win.

What an idiot.

We have a multi-millionaire owner - who hires cheap managers - and fourth-division, out-of-contract players whom no other clubs want.

Charlton deserve far better than this.  Get rid of them all.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's been a total f*** up since Judas called it a day with Curbs. Two years apart with Mr Powell.
  • Options
    Not one of your more informed posts mate.
  • Options

Charlton have a fatal soft centre. Eamonn Dunphy, intelligent player for Millwall and Ireland, played for us in 1973 and wrote in a seminal book. He said: “Charlton have no heart, no spirit”.

Dunphy is right. We are weaklings. Since Lennie Lawrence and Alan Curbishley, we have no guts, no fire. Watch our players now: they are pansies, passing the parcel across the back – and get caught out.

Many folk on this forum say our dodgy defenders should “just hoof it”. Where to? Our midfield can’t control a simple pass. Watch closely – they have to check to collect – then can’t control a simple ball. It bobbles up, there’s a kerfuffle – and goes out of play…

Our midfield can’t tackle. We are physically brushed aside every time. Our Third Division opponents have better players sidelined by injuries – yet their squad players have far more skill, guts, and intelligence than ours.

We have a throw-in in an attacking position. Our man stands frozen, ball over head. No-one moves to receive. Ball is thrown back – man passes it back farther – opponents sprint, and ball goes out of play. As a sport, football is heroic. The way we play, it is idiotic.

Of course Sandgaard is all wrong. And so is our recruitment, and the coaching staff – dribbling around the back. Passing from one liability to another – then the spark of John Marquis nips in and scores.

Just imagine Stockley or Kirk with those chances that Marquis took. Neither would sprint to intercept. They would not have the quickness of thought to pounce – they would bumble and fumble, trip on the ball or sky over the bar...

Hartlepool and Harrogate next year? Stockport were non-league last season, yet beat us good and proper.

Our players are physically weak and mentally dim. This entire club needs sacking, and starting again.

we're low at the moment but two points need to be made here:

1) You're an idiot
    2) How much more heart and spirit did millwall have than us when they were wollowing in lower divisions for most of their history than us? 
  • Options
    Another cold and dismal afternoon down The Valley. A very good first half hour, during which we created a number of opportunities, but we all know that this Charlton team is incapable of keeping a clean sheet and 1-0 was never going to be enough, even against a limited Bristol Rovers side. They were bound to improve in the second half and, once Inniss had committed his two howlers, our heads went down and we never looked like getting back into the game.

That was a real nadir and I can't see us getting much, if anything, out of the next three League games against Peterborough, Oxford and Pompey. If so, we'll be firmly rooted in the bottom 6 (if not occupying the final relegation slot). Make no mistake, we are in big trouble - this team has forgotten how to win and our soft underbelly is there for all to see. We have no manager at the helm, lack leadership on the field (Dobson excepted) and most of these players don't look to have the stomach for a fight. Desperate times.
  • Options

You think about it, son.

Anthony Hayes said all that in his interview after the game.  There are links above.

He encouraged our players to concede possession - so that we might win.

What an idiot.

We have a multi-millionaire owner - who hires cheap managers - and fourth-division, out-of-contract players whom no other clubs want.

Charlton deserve far better than this.  Get rid of them all.  
    Where’s the block button
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    DOUCHER said:

Charlton have a fatal soft centre. Eamonn Dunphy, intelligent player for Millwall and Ireland, played for us in 1973 and wrote in a seminal book. He said: “Charlton have no heart, no spirit”.

Dunphy is right. We are weaklings. Since Lennie Lawrence and Alan Curbishley, we have no guts, no fire. Watch our players now: they are pansies, passing the parcel across the back – and get caught out.

Many folk on this forum say our dodgy defenders should “just hoof it”. Where to? Our midfield can’t control a simple pass. Watch closely – they have to check to collect – then can’t control a simple ball. It bobbles up, there’s a kerfuffle – and goes out of play…

Our midfield can’t tackle. We are physically brushed aside every time. Our Third Division opponents have better players sidelined by injuries – yet their squad players have far more skill, guts, and intelligence than ours.

We have a throw-in in an attacking position. Our man stands frozen, ball over head. No-one moves to receive. Ball is thrown back – man passes it back farther – opponents sprint, and ball goes out of play. As a sport, football is heroic. The way we play, it is idiotic.

Of course Sandgaard is all wrong. And so is our recruitment, and the coaching staff – dribbling around the back. Passing from one liability to another – then the spark of John Marquis nips in and scores.

Just imagine Stockley or Kirk with those chances that Marquis took. Neither would sprint to intercept. They would not have the quickness of thought to pounce – they would bumble and fumble, trip on the ball or sky over the bar...

Hartlepool and Harrogate next year? Stockport were non-league last season, yet beat us good and proper.

Our players are physically weak and mentally dim. This entire club needs sacking, and starting again.

we're low at the moment but two points need to be made here:

1) You're an idiot
    2) How much more heart and spirit did millwall have than us when they were wollowing in lower divisions for most of their history than us? 
    A couple of simple points, Doucher, and they are nothing to do with Millwall, or you "feeling low":

1) You can't spell, capitalise, write with basic grammar or syntax. And:
    2) You are the idiot - for slagging me off and being ignorant about football.

Watch it!  I want us to be relegated. That would shock the weaklings and apologists, like you.