Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City | 7/1/23

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2023
    CAFC. Twisting your mellon since 1905.
  • Options
    CAFC. Twisting your mellon since 1912.
    What happened between 1905 and 1912? 
  • Options
    CAFC. Twisting your mellon since 1912.
    What happened between 1905 and 1912? 
    C'mon I'm a maths teacher!
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Their goal arrived from somebody not fancying a header from an up-and-under, then preferring to claim injury on the ground. Awful. I think it was Clare?

It's these lapses and ill-discipline that costs us goals for fun.
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    First 75 minutes was up there with our best performances this season. Fraser, Leaburn, Morgan and Ness in particular very good.

I think the biggest difference under Holden is that he’s allowing Fraser to get forward. He was completely wasted in a deeper role.
    You're right. In a two man midfield he was obviously more central and a bit deeper. In a 3 and left of centre he was able to continually supply CBT and get forward himself. 
  • Options
    A match where the result was way more important than the performance. An overall good performance mind you certainly in the 1st half. Shame we couldn’t add a few at the beginning of the 2nd half but I guess that’s the Charlton way. 
    Liked the way the sprinklers came on at half time in readiness for the torrential downpour that followed later! Great support from the covered end to help us get over the line towards the end of the game. 
  • Options
    Got the win got all 3 points & got soaked to the skin Come On You Reds  B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Three points in the bag. Started slowly, look over, played some very nice football from about the 20th minute up to their goal in the 76th. For some reason I felt we’d hang on, mainly because we don’t faff about at the back so much any more. 
    Ness sums up the new approach. Keep it simple, nothing flash. 
    No one was really outstanding today, no one particularly awful. I don’t mind that. Although on reflection Fraser continued his recent improvement and is gradually becoming the player we hoped he would be. 
    CB-T’s goal, and Miles’ back heel were the highlights for me. 
  • Options
    Holden doing his sailor impersonation on a ship in a gale  again in his interview. Its weird - he just can't stand still!
    He can stand on his head eating a Mars bar, if he can continue to make this team perform. 
  • Options
    Holden has got a system going quicker than looked likely after Oxford. Make some decent signings and he might be with us for a while.
  • Options
    We can never do things the easy way.  We should have been four or five up before they scored.
  • Options
    Up until Morgan went off, we were in complete control. I'm not sure if that's due to Morgan playing very well or Payne not being very good
  • Options
    Up until Morgan went off, we were in complete control. I'm not sure if that's due to Morgan playing very well or Payne not being very good
    More to do with only being 2-1 up so went a bit cautious. I would say overall it was a positive game. We should have been out of sight before they got one back and it was a tad fortunate falling to their player. Scare right at the death but we kept them out which is unlike us this season.
  • Options
    IMO Morgan has a typical Morgan game - a couple of Hollywood passes and then manages to miss pass to our players 5 meters away under no pressure
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I headed to the game full of confidence and predicting a 3-0 victory...........then I saw that McGiveaway was playing and I was just praying we'd scrape through. He gave me the jitters for the entire match, especially his attempted clearance, straight to an opposing attacker.
  • Options
    IMO Morgan has a typical Morgan game - a couple of Hollywood passes and then manages to miss pass to our players 5 meters away under no pressure
    I was thinking I'm sure because Morgan wasn't terrible there'd be some singing his praises. As usual though the reality was he did some things very well and then a lot average or poorly. It's the same old story with him that it's his consistency that's the issue.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Their goal arrived from somebody not fancying a header from an up-and-under, then preferring to claim injury on the ground. Awful. I think it was Clare?

It's these lapses and ill-discipline that costs us goals for fun.
    Dunno if you were at The Valley, but the stream, which replayed it several times, disgreed. Brownie didnt call him out at all, whereas he did for the Pompey goal.
  • Options
    The first 20 minutes was so scrappy with the ball seemingly going for throw-ins every ten seconds or so, played mostly in the Charlton half and with hardly a chance at either end. I'm glad it changed and that it was Charlton that took control. Up until their goal we seemed to completely control the game. I'm a little concerned that that brought in a bit of panic in the Charlton defence with more errors made. One of our biggest problems this season is inability to react positively after conceding a goal.

But we held on and took the three points and I managed to get the last train out of Waterloo to get home at a decent time.....just glad there was only 9 minutes of added time! 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    A vast majority mentioned he is completely clueless? 
    Yep.
    If he is not clueless he most certainly is not qualified to be our manager.
    More qualified than Lawrence, Curbishley, Powell, Bowyer and Jackson.

Less qualified than Pardew, Parkinson, Adkins and Dowie....
  • Options
    Good win, should have been out of sight before the inevitable nervy ending. Holden has steadied the ship well 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    I'll be honest, the only reason I bothered today given the train strike and the weather was to see my Dad's name on the big screen. Very happy that the game was worth it (after the first 25 minutes or so) one we finally woke up. Lincoln had some d cent chances in that period but from then until the 75th we dominated and were cruising. 

I felt Holden was a little slow with the changes as a few looked knackered out there but I give him credit for holding his nerve and resisting the temptation to park the bus at the end. The bad points are we wasted a lot of good chances, I'd still like our wife players to get that early ball into the box at times. Overall a good game and glad we won in the memorial game for all our lost Addicks.
    I thought sex before a match was supposed to be bad for performance? Got to think it would been even worse during a game.