Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City | 7/1/23

Comments

• Options
    Quite common with kids in the first team. Even at the top level. Experience seems to take care of it, rather than advice that they don't need to make that foul. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    We are still very poor defensively. Neither of our full backs are great at defending and both CBs look terrified when in possession.

A game we should have won comfortably but finishing needs to improve and some of the decision making by our forward players needs to be better. We have plenty of pace and played some good stuff but continue to be fragile. 

I was convinced Lincoln would grab an equaliser.
    Sessegnon is pretty decent at defending. Ness definitely doesn’t look terrified when in possession. He almost looks too relaxed. Impressive for a 20 year old. 
    Agree about Clare though. He has lapses of concentration. Good going forward though. I much prefer Egbo. 
    Sessegnon was poor today particularly in the first half - constantly out of position. Neither Ness or Inniss looked confident in their passing - we looked nervous at the back.

Passing the ball around at the back just looks a recipe for disaster.
  • Options
    A win is a win, but we got 3 on the bounce earlier in the season and I think Jackson went 7 unbeaten when he took over as caretaker last season.  You have to factor in everyone playing for a place on Tuesday as well, that will definitely have been an element.  Same post as last week.  Do this consistently and go on a run and it will mean something.  Until they do, it’s just a win 
  • Options
    Up until Morgan went off, we were in complete control. I'm not sure if that's due to Morgan playing very well or Payne not being very good
    IMO Morgan has a typical Morgan game - a couple of Hollywood passes and then manages to miss pass to our players 5 meters away under no pressure
    as I said on the match thread, the most infuriating player for a long, long time 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    A vast majority mentioned he is completely clueless? 
    Yep.
    If he is not clueless he most certainly is not qualified to be our manager.
    If he is beyond clueless,  he will be certainly qualified to be a Charlton fan 
  • Options
    Up until Morgan went off, we were in complete control. I'm not sure if that's due to Morgan playing very well or Payne not being very good
    IMO Morgan has a typical Morgan game - a couple of Hollywood passes and then manages to miss pass to our players 5 meters away under no pressure
    as I said on the match thread, the most infuriating player for a long, long time 
    Think the manager should fine Morgan every time he passes backwards. This part of his game needs to be changed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Lincoln goal was really lucky. First two blocked shots fall absolutely perfect.

Hopefully their miss at the end is our first bit of luck this season. We're due it.
  • Options
    Fraser, Leaburn, Dobson always improving and are becoming essential to Charlton. The manager is having a positive impact.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    It was a lucky set of ricochets, but maybe we had one too many players aiming to retreat and block a shot than charging out to close their man. It ended up like target practice.

Holden seems to have a bit of the Bowyer aggyness to him. Garner seemed slightly more Adkins. Different fits and all that.
  • Options
    Great to get a win and it wouldn’t be Charlton if we didn’t make hard work of it. 

Should have had the game out of sight. Once we get a goal lead we completely relax as a team and look so much more comfortable attacking. Before that it can be a bit attritional and robotic, leaving Leaburn fairly isolated.

Morgan whenever he gets a start from the latest manager always seems to split views. What summed him up for me is about 15 mins into the game we had a phase of establishing possession without going anywhere (Clare to Innis to Dobson to Ness to Dobson to Inniss to Clare etc). It finally worked for a quick break, couple of sharp forward passes at pace, Dobson to Morgan and Albie’s touch is far too heavy and concedes possession. Chance of a break gone. 

Dobson and Fraser are increasingly becoming the core to our team. Wings with Sess / CBT & Clare / JRS are our best offering with it. Couple of those have it in their locker to have worldie moments and hopefully we’ll see it more consistently.

Not seem rain like that for a while. Very kind of the referee to think of the crowd and keep playing a huge amount of added time until the rain eased for us all. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Great to get back to back wins. Should have taken the chances to make it a more comfortable win. Jes Rak-Sakyi played well overall but should have taken at least one of the good chances he had. I think other teams have watched and sussed him out. He jinks inside on to his left foot and tries to curl it low past the keeper. The keeper is expecting just that. I thought back to the away game at Wycombe this season when he actually shaped to shoot with his left, chopped back on to his right and buried it high in the net. He needs some coaching to mix it up a bit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Once again, the crowd turnout was pretty disappointing. Seemed as if 80% of the crowd was in Crossbars before the game. Had to queue to get in and rammo in there 
  • Options
    Back to back wins, another 3 points and a pretty decent team and individual performances. Not perfect as we still made it difficult for ourselves second half and the defending can still have you hiding behind your hands, but, this is league one, you ain't gonna get complete performances game in game out.

Stuck with the 433 and again it showed why it's the formation we have to play, also, shows up Garner's (naivety?) some, same players, same formation - slight tweaks here and there (Leaburn, not pointless moving the ball around 2 yards at a snails pace) and we look totally different.

Knew nothing of Holden before he came in, had no opinion, but if he can maintain what he's doing then definitely more than just a "steadying the ship" appointment. A lot of that, will however, come down to the players and their own inconsistencies, Dobson, Morgan, Fraser was the midfield trio of choice a few weeks back but then went off the boil, sadly Morgan and Fraser have been guilty of inconsistency, Morgan especially.  If Holden can sort that out, we'll be looking up rather than down for the remainder of the season.

• Options
    Tell you what, the 8 and a half mins extra at the end was a joke, but what about the 3 mins in the first half? WTF? They just do it on a whim, and it really has to be professionalised. 
    I guess at least a minute was added for each goal we scored in the first half.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Charlton have reached mid table which is our position with this current squad. 
    4-3-3 is finally working because at long last Leaburn is playing as the central striker.

CBT and Rak Sakyi are finding good form with their pace and tricky feet respectively.
    Fraser is looking like a top League 1 attacking midfielder which unfortunately JJ didn't have to kick us on to 8th position last season. (He turned up unfit, got sick then injured)

Dobson is just Dobbo who gives 100% every game. Morgan deserves his place until we get better in this window or Henry, Mcgrandles, or Clare step up to be water carriers in midfield? 

Inniss has only a limited amount of games in his big frame and he is already in credit.
    We have needed a Left Footed Left back for two years, I thought we decided similar to Purrington but with some pace ! Sessegnon is doing a decent job despite not being Left Footed.

Much needed back to back wins but the truth is suspensions, injuries and inconsistent form will stop us going much higher than 10th this season. 

Wins should always be celebrated at Cafc even if it's Lincoln and not Chelsea like two decades ago. 

For me Barnsley is more important than United and I suspect our team next weekend could struggle after being run ragged at Old Trafford.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Felt a bit sea sick by the end of that interview.
  • Options
    A much needed and deserved win. No-one had a bad game for a change, and Fraser had another storming performance.

I think huge credit needs to go to Dean Holden for quickly working out how to get the best out of Fraser, and for improving things defensively by cutting out the playing out from the back. Innis seems much more confident now he knows that he can put it into row Z if needed.

Fantastic to see O'Connell back. I thought he was our best defender before he got injured. Once he gets back up to speed he could be crucial for the rest of the season.

As far as the transfer window is concerned, I think it is more important that we hang on to key players than sign replacements. If we lose Dobson, and to a lesser extent, Leaburn, we are in big trouble. Leaburn would be easier to replace than Dobson though. It should be top priority getting George signed up to a better long-term deal. 

I am predicting a much improved second half of the season and a comfortable top half finish.
  • Options
    Once again, the crowd turnout was pretty disappointing. Seemed as if 80% of the crowd was in Crossbars before the game. Had to queue to get in and rammo in there 
    Not the best pic but looked a bit sparse from the away end.

• Options
    Charlton the clearly better side for about 2/3 of the game but they were so dreadful the rest of the time they gave a truly awful team like Lincoln a sniff
    Most of Lincoln's chances came from Charlton idiocy, chief culprit Inniss as always
    Aimless pissing around with it at the back returned with attendant suicidal tendencies, Ness is vastly better at that than the hapless Lavelle and Inniss but that bar is ground level.
    The only times the APAWIATB developed anything positive was when Dobbo dropped back to collect it and take it away from the hapless Inniss - risk v reward APAWIATB is just base level moronic.  Lincoln are a decent example, keep it away from the cloggers at the back and close off a major area of risk.
    MacG reminded us a couple of times why he's been deposed.
    Sess was the standout at the back.
    Ness is developing nicely
    Without Dobbo we'd be sunk
    Albie still needs to calm down but at least his energy fills in for wheezy Fraser's part time contribution
    Wheezy Fraser showed glimpses of his talent and a hitherto unseen heading ability but as ever he only played about 60 minutes.  After he got that knock (before the pathetic free kick) 2nd half he completely checked out until injury time when he popped up with a couple of decent tackles.  Direct quote from a teenage newbie in our group "that 21 would be amazing if he didn't disappear for hours"
    JRS showed a couple of glimpses but spent most of the game avoiding space, hiding behind white shirts and cutting into congestion - helped out defensively more than usual so not all bad - he won't have convinced any championship suitors with that
    There's far too much pressure and expectation on Miles Leaburn's young shoulders, fingers crossed he continues to bear his unfair burden as effectively
    CBT back closer to the revelation of 21/22, one or two better decisions/executions per match and we'll all be much happier
    Jack Payne a footballer in miniature, just that bit too slow and small to be able to compete, specially against a bunch the size of Lincoln
    Hopefully O'Connell doesn't get rushed back before he's really ready but he's streets ahead of the other CH's

Special mention for The Bloke Behind Me [(c) Wyn Grant] "foul throws" were near enough phased out 3 or more seasons ago and as your mate told you we'd never seen that ref before at The Valley, no amount of shouting from you was changing either fact

• Options
    I like to hear Holden talk about second ball, I think this is a big issue for us beyond this season.